“Sadly it's going downhill!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro

Save Saved
You added Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro to your Saves list
Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playa Bavaro | Arena Gorda-Macao, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #49 of 100 hotels in Punta Cana
Western New York
“Sadly it's going downhill!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

We stayed at this property for the 3rd time in April 2014 just getting around to writing this review. We had been very happy here in the past. This time...not so much!
Having stayed at
Bahia Principe's over 30 times we knew to email ahead with dinner reservation requests and room requests. I emailed at least 10 times and no reply at all. Finally I emailed Bahia Principe Corporate office and eventually heard back from a manager from this resort. I think it is wonderful that Bahia's have always given this little perk to past guests as a way of keeping them loyal and thanking them for that loyalty. We have done this numerous times at Bahia Principe's and really appreciate the efforts normally made by management. Well this time..Bahia Principe Bavaro could care less if you were a past guest or any guest at all! They did not make our dinner or golf reservations and had no idea what I was talking about when we arrived. We could live with that but I booked 2 rooms - one for myself and husband and one for our 2 teenager sons. It was very important to us to have rooms close to one another so that we could adequately supervise the teenagers. Once again, I showed the front desk the emails that were sent to us from Management and they wouldn't even acknowledge them! Not only that we had to wait for 9 hours for our rooms to be ready! At 6 pm they finally said "the maids took so long because they were preparing a special surprise for you since you've been here before." Well, there was no "surprise except that we found a dirty room that people were just leaving angrily and telling us "Good luck..you will not get any sleep here!" Our suprise was a bull dozer 8 feet away from our window! That was bad enough but they put us in 2 different buildings right next to a construction site! We did not get off to a good start with this trip at all! But being experieced travelers we know there can be glitches and were determined to get this worked out and have a great vacation. Back to the front desk we went only to get ignored..I am not kidding..Nobody wanted to help us! Other guests from the same building were there complaining very loudly. I know that yelling and being rude is no way to get help and we were very polite despite our growing frustration. Being kind and polite only resulted in getting ignored by everyone except the timeshare sales people! They were pests! Eventually we talked to a gentlemen walking through the lobby that I recognized from a previous stay and he spoke to the front desk people for us. They gave us different rooms in another part of the resort (in 2 different buildings!) and told us to "come back tomorrow and we will change the rooms so you can be in the same building. Well we went back 4 times and they never changed our rooms...we just decided to make the best of it.

The resort itself is very well maintained but showing its age. Instead of expanding the resort with new buildings they should renovate what they already have built. The landscapers were working constantly and I have to say they were some of the friendliest workers at that resort.
The bartenders were slow and mostly miserable (even with $1 bills in hand for a tip!)
The food was OK except for the french rest. which was very good.
'THE WORST was the so called entertainment crew. Wow...they were the laziest animation team I have ever seen. They were more interested in touching....yes touching teenage girls..so if you have teenage daughters beware! I saw a few fathers take issue with this and I don't blame them. Some girls may have liked this but it was so obvious that many were very uncomfortable with this constant hugging, kissing, laying down on a lounger next to guests and alway "looking them up and down and oogling them!" It was disgusting!
Not only that they did not run so many of the games that were listed on the agenda. When I asked "Where is water polo today?" They standard answer always was "you missed it" Really? Well they never had water polo all week and even though it was scheduled almost every day. That was how activities went every day. Some days they might have one or two other days the activities people just laid around...literally! They were the biggest disappointment of the whole trip. Normally, we get to know the staff and many we go back to see year after year! I get emails at Christmas time from activities people I met 10 years ago. We are friendly and generous people and we treat all staff members with great respect. I just don't understand how Bahia Principe ended up with these horrible people on the activities team.
Because of all this I will ending my longtime loyalty to Bahia...Adios!

Room Tip: choose a different hotel
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family

6,859 people have reviewed this hotel

1942
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (792)
  • Polish first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

We went to punta cana from July 19th to 26th and it was amazing. We were a group of 50 people (adults and kids) and no one have any issues. Food it's ok room were big the a/c felt good and we can make reservations in a la carte restaurants (we emailed before we got to the hotel but many people be able to make reservations days after we arrive) It's a huge place we were at the premier side. It has its own lobby and it's own pool and restaurant las dalias serve good food throughout the week. They had a kids room with Playstation Xbox air hockey table ping pong table soccer table and even connect four. Michael Jackson and circus shows was amazing at the theater. the beach is beautiful. People where friendly always felt good treatment. I recommend this hotel and definitely will come back.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Viancagraciano, customer service at Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro, responded to this review, yesterday
Dear Hector,

This type of feedback inspires us even more to continue with the committed on offering the warmest welcoming to our clients.

Don’t hesitate in contacting us prior arrival to prepare all the detail for another awesome experience and thank you very much for recommending us.

Enjoy an all-inclusive holiday with Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts.

Cliffside Park, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

Three of us stayed for 7 days. We checked in on a Saturday at 2:00. The front desk was very unorganized and didn't provide any helpful information at check in. For example, it would have been nice to be told at check in that you need to pay $4 per day for the room safe, ir that the pool bar closes at 6 pm. The property was pretty, the food was ok, however for 7 days we could only go to specialty restaurants three times. Book your dinner reservations early as they fill up quickly. The Italian restaurant was good, the BBQ restaurant was ok, the Japanese hibatchi restaurant was very good (too much food). Italian had an appetizer buffet, BBQ was all buffet. The pool near the beach is the most fun one. Each day they bring around animals to take pictures with: monkey, birds, snake, iguana. They have trains to take you around the resort as it is very large. Tues or Weds night is "Boogie Nights" and was a lot of fun. Casino is small and you have to pay for drinks there. Monday and Friday there was a "street fair" on property. Although we had some hiccups along the way, i did have a good time. I personally don't love all inclusives and will probably avoid them in the future.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Viancagraciano, customer service at Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro, responded to this review, 2 days ago
Dear Ruffy,

I appreciate that you take the time to send us your comments regarding your experience during your stay with us. I apologize for the inconveniences and dislikes you have experienced. Please rest assured that we have taken your observations into great consideration.

It is nice to find out that there were some aspects you find worth to mention, especially the beautiful property and the good a la carte restaurants you visited.

Kindest regards,

New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

I rated 3 but easily could have been 4. many aspects of the property are 4 but the food is very average, and the desserts at most meals are lacking.
We selected to upgrade to the Diamond club for several reasons when we booked. Closer to the beach and pool, the private restaurant, the towels in the room when we arrive and so on.
So we get there and find out that we get to check in at "The Diamond Club" we don't have to wait at the main desk. That is a plus, and it has AC in this room where we check in.

Lisolotte was WONDERFUL! I cant say enough about her. She is truely a gem at this resort, If I could hire her for my hotel I work at, I would in a second! She took care of everything. Our original rooms were not ready at check in time, however she said we could go look at the rooms. We traveled with 2 girls 20 and 18 and a boy 22. $ adults. We had wanted to put the 3 "kids" in their room, 2 double beds and then the parents. However there was not a room with 2 double beds originally. I went back and Lisolotte took care of it immediately. She moved us along to Hacienda 23, which was real close to the pool, the ocean and the private restaurant.

We ate at the Steak House, the Japanese restaurant, and the Italian restaurant. The steaks were just OK, one of us had a piece of steak as he put it, still had the Nike logo on it it was so tough, but the others had a good meal. Food came out quickly, and had good flavor. Food was plentiful, however it was a little tough to get drinks.

The Japanese restaurant was nice, we had a great time. Food was good, we had plenty of it and a few of us tried the Saki. Which was not bad. They move you to another table to have dessert so they can prep the grill area for the next reservation. (SMART)

We also dined at the Italian restaurant. The appetizer buffet was very plentiful and had a lot of variety. The entrees were very nicely prepared and had great flavor. Wine was always available. I would have gone back here if we had the chance.

The bar staff around the pools were very nice. Let me tell you, a $5 tip in the morning goes a long way. Take care of these guys, they take care of you all day! The only problem I see is they do not have blenders at the bars! They have a limited supply of the frozen drinks, only what is in the frozen machines. We got what we wanted, but the variety of the frozen drinks were a little lacking.

Bloddy mary's in the morning poolside are always nice. Then of course move on to the rum! Beer of course is El Presidente, which is not bad...not my first choice but nice.

The rooms are nice, a little dated but what are you doing in there other than sleeping and showering. Try and get an extra key cared. In order for the AC to work you need to keep a card in the slot at the door. My wife and I were the only ones of the 3 rooms to figure that out right away, hence our room was nice and cold immediately. Any time we had an issue we were able to call the diamond club and it got resolved quickly.

Internet, yes its $40 for the week, if you want o be on line....the kids of course NEEDED it. And you can't share the code, only 1 device is on at a time. The safes yes $40 for the week, but you NEED that. So the cheaper rate you get here at Grand Bahia Principe has some hidden charges, but it is worth every penny.

I/we all had a good time, I am sure when we plan a trip next year we will consider the property, in part due to the service Lisolotte gave us.

I am sure you will enjoy yourselves here if you go. The pools are nice, the ones in the middle on the right side as you go towards the lobby is the best...Quiet, somewhat secluded, the bar is never really busy. it is not so LOUD! like the main pool closer to the beach....

lastly oh yeah, make sure you know some spanish...the staff albeit friendly, their english os somewhat lacking. If you knwo that going in, like we did, it really is not that bad.

Room Tip: Go for the Diamond club, ask for Hacienda 20-23. Those have the best views and less travel
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Viancagraciano, customer service at Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro, responded to this review, 4 days ago
Dear guest,

I would like to thank you for your review regarding your experience in our Resort.
Lisselotte will be happy to know that you appreciated her effort in taking care of you and you will consider to return in part for her excellent service.

It´s a real pleasure that all of you had a good time and you recommend us, thank you!!!

Looking forward to seeing you next year and experience once again a memorable time!!

Greetings,

Toronto, Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We enjoyed our week-long stay at the resort. The food was good, no complaints. Beach was beautiful as expected. Pools were very nice. They have a decent waterpark for kids (10 and under), so-so mini-golf course, etc.
Rooms were a good size. The beds were pretty lousy.
Biggest issue is with the size of the resort. It is HUGE. Probably 15-20 minute walk to go from the lobby to the beach. There are shuttles running to and from the lobby all day/night. Generally they leave every ten minutes or so? But we walked it quite a bit.
We stayed in May 2014, and it wasn't overly busy, so we didn't have any issues with lineups or anything. Just the size of the resort was a bit over-whelming.

If you are looking for a fun beach vacation this fits the bill. If you're looking for more, I'd maybe go elsewhere.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Viancagraciano, customer service at Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Dear Coling,

Thank you for your opinion and we feel good to know that your enjoyed a nice week with good food, beautiful beach and nice pool.

We regret for the impression you perceived for the size of our Resort, but we always take the necessary measure to ensure our guests rest and comfort.

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience and looking forward to welcoming you once again!

Wigan, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Stayed from 5.7-19.7.14. After sending a email requesting a complementary upgrade we arrived to find we'd been allocated block 29 which was the Diamond club. Great start!

Food.
Main buffet choice was pretty good bit could be hit and miss if the food was hot enough. Can be really busy at peak time and you can easily find yourself arguing with other guests. Book your a la carte on your first day of arrival or you won't be going.
The a la carte is ok-good but don't expect too much.
If you're in the Diamond club you get to have breaky and dinner in the Santa Fe a la carte restaurant, which was far more civilised than the scrum that is the main buffet or beach snack bar.
Rooms.
As I say we had a Diamond club room which was supposedly slightly better than a standard room. I think it's slightly bigger. Ours had a couple of issues with the fixtures and fittings not working and AC pretty noisy. TFT to get a room near the middle of the complex as you won't have to walk far for either the beach or main entertainment places.
Pools.
There are three main pools. Two in the middle of the complex (one quieter than the other)and the big one near the beach. If your looking for the one near the beach then you need to get your towels on a bed before 8am or forget it. The beach pool can get a bit like an 18-30's in the late afternoons as people consume more alcohol. Mainly our American friends who must insist on reminding you that they come from U-S-A , change the record 'guys'!FFS.
Beach.
Absolutely stunning!! I spent hours walking up and down and never got tired of looking at the white sand and wind swept palms.
There are the local vendors but they don't really hassle too much and most are very polite.
Entertainment.
Daytime consists mostly of excited team members trying to gee the crowd up but there is the usual volleyball, exercise programmes which keep most occupied.
Some of the night time shows were pretty good, such as the M Jackson and acrobats. After that it turns to Butlins.
Gym.
Crap!! For a so called 5* it's garbage, it is not fit for purpose. Too small, not enough equipment and what there was, was breaking down. Rubbish!! Don't bother!!
Other guests.
Mmmmmm well. There's every nationality that descend on this resort. And I'm sure you can imagine what kind of mixing bowl of cultural enlightenment can be gained from 2 weeks of listening to our American cousins that think they're appearing in a soap opera to Russian and Latinos walking around like the mafia. Thank the Lord above I'm British!!
Overall a good time was had but just falls short in some areas.

Stayed July 2014
Dear Thomas,

First of all, I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for share your experience with others on TripAdvisor and highlighting the stunning beach, the good food at the buffet and pretty good shows at night.

On the other hand, I apologize for the difficulties you encountered in your room. I hope that you come back to our property and provide you a better time with us.

Best regards,

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Only problem was that hotel was a little too big. We went in July so beach and swimming pool will be very busy in the peck season as it was very hard to get sunny beds after 1100 . Very clean.. Staff let you get on with your holiday, no hanging around to be tipped.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear client,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay at our hotel and we hope to see you soon in this property to experience again the hospitality and great service of our people.

Best regards,

Bahia Principe Bavaro Resort

Been to Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro? Share your experiences!