“Take a vacation with all of Europe!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro

You added Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro to your Saves list
Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Arena Gorda | Macao, Seccion Baigua, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #51 of 102 Hotels in Punta Cana
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Take a vacation with all of Europe!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

When you get off the Plane in Punta Cana it is on the tarmac. You de-plane and are immediately herded into the scam that is known in the Dominican as the “tourist pass”. What this means is that you have to pay $10 to enter the country while the immigration folks yell at you in Spanish to move faster. After immigration you get the fun part. Now admittedly I speak quite a bit of gringo Spanish, so I had a bit easier time than other folks, especially Boris and Natasha who are just waking up from their 14 hour Ambien fueled flight. Your bags will be waiting for you behind some gentleman dressed in khaki shirts who would love to carry your bags for you. Here is the first spicy tid bit: let them help you. If you can, talk to them and find out who knows someone that works in customs and can also get you a cab if you don’t have transport set up, it also helps if you are American. Our fine porter knew the customs official, told him we were American and then we bypassed customs all together! Bypassing all the non-sense and getting a cab only cost us $5. Well worth it. Boris and Natasha?, not so lucky. We were out of the airport within 5 minutes and in a cab headed to our hotel at Gran Bahia Principe Bavaro. The drive to Gran Bahia Principe Bavaro was about 30 minutes and cost $40. Spend the money, don’t share transportation. You will thank me later. The drive doesn’t get weird until you hit the actual down of Bavaro. Dirty, sketchy, stray dogs and tons of dirt bikes, that sums it up.

Once you get to the hotel, you are met by porters from Gran Bahia who set your bags aside while you check-in. Check-in was hilarious in my book. The front desk staff hardly spoke English, moved quickly and was loud. In addition there were no less than 3 million other guests trying to do something at the front desks in a variety of languages. Jose was brash and macho but got us checked in and we were on our way to the room via a tram with other guests.
The room was 80’s Caribbean in nature with lots of pastel colors and tile floor. FYI, make sure you always have two room keys, one to take with you and one to leave in the room. What is the reason to leave it in the room? It controls the electricity for the room and you will want to have the A/C for when you come back to the room hot and drunk. Here is the water part; don’t drink it. You can brush your teeth with it, but use the bottled water in the room to make coffee and cure hangovers. Spicy tid bit #2: tip the cleaning staff. If you tip them, they will clean your room first, give you extra water/beer for the fridge and do a great job. $2 or 3 a day is sufficient, but I’d imagine the more you give the more control you will have. Have you ever slept on cinder blocks? If not, you are in for a treat!

Drinking at the resort is fun, duh. Make sure you bring plenty of singles to tip the bar tenders and make sure all the workers see it. Don’t be a jerk about it, but don’t hide it either. If you do this, they will make your drinks strong and have them ready for you. It’s pretty straight forward; it’s drinking with a strategy.

The food at the resort is average to above average. I didn’t spit anything out, but I wasn’t going back because my taste buds were forcing me to either. This is where your expectations need to be calibrated correctly. Remember how much you paid and how much you are getting for that money. It is kind of amazing when you think about it. On that note, you will get a minimum of 3 reservations at the restaurants on the resort with your package.
How much money to bring? Bring at least $100 in singles if you will be there a week. This is the easiest way to turn your 3 star vacations into a 5 star service vacation. Remember, even though virtually none of the employees on the resort will speak your language, money talks. Everywhere and loudly.

The grounds were immaculate on the resort and the pools were nice. We did a zip lining excursion and got massages which were fun but mainly enjoyed the resort and what it had to offer. Enjoy your trip and message me with any questions!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Customer Servic... B, Customer Service at Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro, responded to this review, October 7, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your experience at our Hotel. We regret not having been able to achieve our main objective with you, which is our guests´ entire satisfaction. Please be assured that your observations have been taken in the highest consideration.

Kind regards,

Bahia Principe Bavaro Resort

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (865)
  • Polish first
Luton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

We recently returned from another Fantastic Holiday having been accompanied by our Best Friends who also are Mega Bahia Principe Repeaters.

Having arrived on 3rd September we were soon checked into our room in block No 27 Diamond section. Although had no problems with the room or location we felt a little disappointed that we had not received a noticeable upgrade, considering this was our 14th Bahia Principe group visit, we also informed hotel prior that this was our 40 Year Wedding Anniversary Year and the second visit to this Hotel over the past 2 years.

This being our 24th visit to Dominican Republic since 1999 and having stayed in 10 different hotels along the North of the Island I honestly must confess in my opinion this complex cannot be faulted for their hospitality, Location, Food and Facilities. All staff at this hotel are always eager to Please, must mention 2 old Friends from Bahia Rio San Juan who were working here due to Referb at San Juan, Eddy and Rafael, Also from the Management Team Manuela Fahringer for adding her Special Touch in making this a Great Holiday.

We are now looking to book again for about the same time next year to this hotel but at the moment can’t see much availability through our old favourite Tour Op Thomas Cook.

Prior to this Holiday we have already paid a deposit for May 2014 to Bahia Principe Mexico so will have to wait and see if this was the right decision.

We have been home from this Holiday a few weeks and I made my first Medical Insurance Claim ever this was for the following and was paid out minus the first £50.

Unfortunately I had a bit of an ear infection (ear ache) and was nagged by my Mrs. To go to medical centre reluctantly did so, to be told by medic, that I had an ear infection, and would need a antibiotics jab in the cheek of my bum, and a course of tablets. As it would be a bit dodgy to fly home in 3 days time, I enquired how much this lot would cost and told about 400usd. (Gutted) but gave go ahead. Next day returned to pay and inform medic did not have any more pain and thanked her. She said she would again check if safe to fly home to be told it’s still inflamed and if need to fly home I would need another jab in the other cheek of my bum. Well I thought if its 400usd might as well have it being I would have paid for it. She also decided she would give the ear a washout.

At this stage we then sat down to make payment when my wife noticed she wrote down 782usd I enquired what’s that figure of nearly 800usd was, you told me it would be a total of 400, that was for yesterdays she replied. I then said I would not have taken any more treatment if I knew about the added expense; All of a sudden there was no communications from her apart from there is a price list there. Not sure if she understood my further communications but she appeared to ignore me. I reluctantly made payment of 682 usd on debit + 100 dollar, Total 782usd.

Future Clients to this Hotel should be made aware that these Medics are contracted to this Hotel not part of it.

Would recommend this Hotel we Love it!!!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Georgie,

Receive cordial greetings from all the team working at Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro

As a repeater client your opinion is very important to us. It represents a challenge, an opportunity to improve our services, and maintain the magic that makes our dear customers choose for their holiday destination this paradise called Dominican Republic.

Please allow us to reassure that we are extremely proud to have provided you an unforgettable experience, which reflects the commitment and quality of service we have exhibited through the years.

We would like to extend our sincerest apologies for any inconvenience you may have experienced. As you mention, the medical service is not part of the all-inclusive package.
We greatly appreciate that you have chosen once again one of our Resorts as your holiday destination.

Looking forward to seeing you soon!

Best regards,

Gosport
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

Firstly let me apologise that is this going to be a long review so I can do this wonderful place some justice.

Yes the resort is huge, but we didn't have to wait for a trolley/tram to arrive to pick us up. There are 3 main roads that run through the resort and within a day you will have found your bearings. There were 3/4 trams running on each road all day long and even if your walking along the road and flag him down he will stop and pick you up.

Check-in: arrived and welcomed into a big conference room with a nice cold cocktail waiting. Listened to the brief talk, got given a welcome pack with a map, all inclusive bands and registration form stapled to it. Filled this form in Andy from guest relations put our bands on us and off we went to the bell boy to be taken to our rooms. All in all took half hour at the most. Andy from guest relations in the club diamond/hacienda was a star he gave me all my al a carte reservations which I had emailed in a week earlier and I was also given the room block that I had requested. Andy also sorted out our safe for us which in all took a few minutes in an air conditioned room. Thank you Andy you are a credit to this hotel. If you have any problems go and see him that is if he hasn't already come to find you to make sure everything is perfect for your holiday.

Rooms: we were given block 26, room 26307. This room was perfect for everything that we needed. Our balcony looked over to the Ambar with coconuts growing on the trees and parrots singing in the trees. The minibar was filled with water, beer, 7up, fizzy orange, Pepsi and Pepsi light every day. Coffee maker was ideal and everything was topped up every day. 1 day I wrote a note asking for extra coffee bags and creamer and I was left exactly that. Thank you Alexandria for keeping our room tidy for our time there, you were amazing. So what if the rooms aren't cleaned til 3pm. If you need to get into the rooms and the cleaner is in there she will leave and come back a bit later if needed. Jacuzzi was great and relaxing after a nice day sunbathing at the pool or beach. Air conditioning stayed on for the fortnight as we had read take a store card and use in the air conditioning unit. So the room was kept cold at all times.

The staff: all the staff work very hard at all times around the complex, treat the staff how you would like to treated and you will be fine. Not once during our stay did we find any one member of staff to be rude. A polite hola to people with a friendly smile goes a long way. Everyone speaks English/Spanish and we got along just fine. Miguel in the lobby bar treated us like royalty and as soon as we finished one beer another was poured and waiting for us. Brenda the lobby waitress is also a star and never will you be waiting for a drink if she's about. In all fairness all the staff are perfect just didn't get to get all the names of everyone. Danilo the egg man in the lobby asked me every morning how I was and have a lovely day. I even spur used him some mornings by asking him how he was first. He makes perfect fried eggs every day to how you want them cooked.

Pools: all I can say is wow. The pools are amazingly clean even down to pool attendant buffing the concrete to make it clean. We used all the pools. The middle quieter one was one of favourites along with the big pool on the beach front. Our pool towels were already in the room already for us so all we had to do was exchange dirty for clean every day.

Beach: the beach area is kept clean at all times of the day. I watched a person drop a kebab inches from the bin on the floor, the beach attendant came along and had to pick it up to put it in the bin. I was shocked at how people can treat the staff with their rudeness that the staff do not deserve at all.

Lobby area: the free wifi is perfect and every time I needed to log on had no trouble at all, sometimes it can take a little longer if it's busy in the lobby area. Just bear with it and eventually you log in. The lobby is glistening clean with the floor constantly being buffed that the floor looks like glass. Everyone has smile on their face in the lobby and it's this that makes it all perfect. Happy staff make happy holiday makers.

Al a cartes: as we were hacienda guests we were entitled to 4 meals a week we didn't need our full quota Thomas the food in the restaurant is just a good in all honesty. We did try the garden grill on our first full day three this is the only one we didn't like. Our favorite was the French gourmet, lobster to die for was absolutely beautiful and presented well too. Web also tried the Japenese, Italian and the Mexican. The Mexican Santa Fe was used as breakfast/lunch for hacienda guests. A good idea but not as much variety as the main restaurant buffet.

Restaurant buffet: Always found something to eat every day without the feeling bored of what do I pick today. There is always something new to try. Never before on an all inclusive have we ever been greeted with champagne (mimosa) or bloody Mary's for breakfast. The mimosa was lovely. On entry to the restaurant you get given hand sanitiser to stop the spread of germs so pleas use it. The food is amazing so make sure you try the themed nights as well as your al a cartes.

Sports: we went with the intention to try something every day but it didn't work out like that as there is so much to do. If you want to hire snorkels or boogie boards then a deposit of $10 is required per person (paid back when equipment has been returned). Kayaks all we had to do was sign a disclaimer to say we could swim. Crazy golf was good and quite a trying course but em got around eventually after a lots of laughs as we went round. Bike hire was fun to we rode around the resort and got to see every nook and cranny of the resort you only get an hour a day but trust me a hour is all you need.

All in all we will be back next year just got to get the right price as my son wants to also come next year. Thankyou grand Bahia resorts for making our holiday such a fabulous one filled with fun and laughter. We will be sticking with this group of hotels for the time being as we know we're going to get an amazing holiday worth every single pound that was spent.

Room Tip: Request your room block about a week before you travel they will do their best to accommodate all re...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

We are pleased to know that you find worth to mention our employees. We would like to thank you for sharing your impressions which are very important for us.

It´s our sincere hope to welcome you back at our Gran Bahia Principe Bavaro and provide you another relaxing week in Punta Cana.

Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, a 5 star experience in Dominican Republic

Best regards,

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

Great Resort, beautiful beach, great service and for the price you get amazing value. The staff is real friendly and great to chat with. There is lots to do and see.
Ask for Manuel he's a great guy to know and real helpful!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

We are glad to find out that there were some aspects you find worth to mention, especially our beautiful beach, very friendly staff.

Thank you for your comments and looking forward to welcoming you once again in Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, all-inclusive hotels for your holidays in the Dominican Republic.

Always at your disposal,

Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

There is very little to fault my holiday. The food was a problem with me as I need a gluten free diet and maybe the room lighting not bright enough but if you want to sit on a balcony to watch the parrot in flight each evening then this is paradise with extras

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Lesley,

It is wonderful to know that you enjoyed a “Holiday in a Lifetime” We greatly appreciate that you have chosen Bahia Principe Bavaro Resort.

Please be assured that your observations have been share with the General Manager of our Resort to analyze the points you mentioned.

We will be more than happy to have you once again at our Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro and continue providing the most memorable experiences whenever you wish to enjoy Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, your best hotel in Punta Cana

Kind regards,

5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

I had a wondwnserfull time with my family. The place is beautifull, quiet, clean. The food was very good, the people there is very friendly. I absolutely come back again. I recomend this place to vacation.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Customer Servic... B, Customer Service at Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro, responded to this review, October 8, 2013
Dear Alimarl,

We greatly appreciate that you have chosen one of our Resorts for your visit to Dominican Republic. It is a real pleasure to read that you enjoyed a wonderful family vacation.

Thank you for your nice comments and for highlighting our good food, polite staff, beautiful beach.
Looking forward to seeing you in the future in our Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, a 5 star experience in Dominican Republic .

Regards,

Venice, Italy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

we went with friends who told us how wonderful it was and they were right. We had a great holiday, the staff from cleaners to the lovely management team were so friendly and always had a smile for us, they all made us very welcome and would do anything to make our holiday special. We had a special time and Look forward to returning soon, would highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: stay in the hotel resort do not go out in bavaro town
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Dear Carmelo,

We are delighted to know that our personal attention made you feel that we really cared about you. This is what is allowing us to make a difference in each guest experience and motivate us to continue striving towards excellence.

Thank you for your comments and looking forward to welcoming you!

Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, a 5 star experience in Punta Cana

Regards,

Always at your disposal,

Been to Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro? Share your experiences!