“The best trip we've taken yet!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro

Save Saved
You added Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro to your Saves list
Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playa Bavaro | Arena Gorda-Macao, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #48 of 100 hotels in Punta Cana
Saint Louis, Missouri
“The best trip we've taken yet!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

WOW!!! We just got back yesterday from a perfect family vacation. It was our first trip to Punta Cana, and our first time taking our 7 year old daughter out of the country. I set up a TripAdvisor account just to be able to recommend this resort and locale to others. Of course, with international and family travel, we were nervous about what to expect. But when we got there, it was all good! Everyone was incredibly friendly and helpful. We don't speak Spanish, but they all spoke English wonderfully (we've decided to take classes because we plan on going back!).

When we got to the resort, we were immediately impressed. It was BIG, clean, and inviting. There are five hotels on the resort, 9 restaurants, and a great little shopping area. When we got there, we were offered cool drinks and towels, as well as a helpful orientation. We had a great location for our villa (#34). We were in between the lobby and the beach. We had two pools directly next to us (with swim up bars and towel exchange). It is crowded sometimes, so get your pool chairs early if you prefer shade. The rooms are large and the maid staff is so fabulous! They stopped by every night with chocolates and little gifts for our daughter. They even folded her favorite little blankie into a swan (which she wouldn't unfold, even to sleep with!). They offer an amazing water park for the kids to play while mom and dad relax under umbrellas.

The restaurants are varied and the buffet was always stocked with great options. We got our dinner reservations (and were gifted with an additional meal for our anniversary!!). We tried the Italian, Japanese, Spanish, and Mediterranean. All of them were delicious (though the Japanese took a little long and not everyone gets to sit at the grill). Our favorite was the Mediterranean (try the beef fillet).

We did two excursions--the trip to Saona Island and the Outback Safari. So worth the money!! We got to see land and sea and learn so much about the culture and the country. The guides were knowledgeable and friendly. Check those two out for specifics of what is included.

I read CarleneCecilia's review just posted, and I cannot agree more. If you are wondering where to go next, I highly recommend Punta Cana and the Grand Bahia.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Customer Servic... B, Customer Service at Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro, responded to this review, July 27, 2013
Dear Dorean,

It is wonderful to hear that you enjoyed in Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro a perfect family vacation and the best trip you have taken.

We are looking forward to see you soon and we hope to have the honor to practice Spanish with you and your family.

Family holidays with Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts.

6,818 people have reviewed this hotel

1925
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (790)
  • Polish first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013 via mobile

Just came back after 1 week stay at the Bavaro and it was pretty good!
The only bad service is the staff and there's no coordination. I didn't get my private check in, no welcome drinks,not even a Hello!, and I am a very friendly person!
EVERYBODY is treated the same. Learn some spanish because is more that obvious that is a spanish speakers country so don't spect they will be fluent. I told them it was my mom's B-day, they offer some free stuff but never never happend.
Don't go crazy on the theme restaurants, but if you want to do the reservations,do it by email 1 week before and get your ticket at "guest services". The buffets has a lot of great choices. That drinks are amazing! My 2year old loved the water park and the pools. They were some missed tiles but was good anyways. To be honest you will love it! But if you are too demanding and complaint a lot go to 5* resort. And remember: ENJOY! Don't be so critical! I read some comments and is like people go to places to complaint on everything. The only bad thing as I mentioned before is the staff,with some customer service training and better pay,will get better. And also remember that if you have an angry face or look unhappy (like europeans) don't spect a smile.

• Stayed July 2013
Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for bringing to our attention the comments about your stay in our Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro. Feedback from our clients gives us the opportunity to evaluate our development and help us to improve our services.

We would like to have the opportunity to welcome you once again to experience the hospitality of our people, the quality of our services and facilities.

Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, all-inclusive hotels in Punta Cana.

Kind regards,

Oswestry, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

Recently returned from a holiday in the Gran Bahia Prinicpe Bavaro, we went for two weeks. The holiday was amazing, by far the best i have been on. All the staff are friendly and can't do enough to help you. The hotel is right on the beach and there are 4 pools to use, a kids one, two quiet pools and one right one the beach is a bit more lively with daily activities. The resort is huge but there are little buses to shuttle you all over the resort which run every few minutes. Our room was in the middle of the resort so wasn't to far to walk to the beach or to the lobby and restaurants. There is a sports centre where you can play football, tennis, mini golf, hire bikes or segways and a few other activities for children.There is a spa and a casino along with a square with little shops where you can buy any souveniers ect everything you could want is in the hotel.

The rooms are huge with a big double bed a tv and sofa there is also a big Jacuzzi bath in the bathroom. There is a mini fridge in the room which is free and re-stocked daily with coke, sprite, fanta, bottled water and beer.

The food was great, there is a buffet service with a different theme each day so you don't get bored of the food. There are also other restaurants you can eat in if you book, these include Italian, Spanish, Mexican, Japanese, BBQ grill, Steak house ect. We went to the steak house, Italian, BBQ grill and the Mexican, the food was really good. Make sure you book these at the start of your holiday as they get busy.

There was loads of entertainment on each night a show for the kids and then two options to go and see which ranged from acrobatics, comedy, dancing, talent shows and live music ect. Well worth a watch, the shows are very popular and you need to go early to get a good seat.

We did two trips whilst we were there which included a boat trip to Saona island and swimming with dolphins I highly recommend doing both. The boat trip is an all day trip, you sail to the island, stop off at what the locals call a natural swimming pool, hold star fish then sail to the island have lunch there and sail back later that day.

Overall the holiday was amazing I 100% recommend staying at the Gran Bahia Prinicpe Bavaro and I will definately stay there again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Rachel,

We are very happy to learn that you enjoyed an amazing holiday, thanks to our great food and the friendliness of our staff.

Thank you for sharing your photos and for recommending Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, a 5 star experience in the Dominican Republic.

Kind greetings,

Barberton, OH
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

This was a last minute trip for us....booked the evening before we were to leave. Upon arrival, they didn't have our reservation but quickly straightened it all out. The check in girl, Lisa, was outstanding during our entire stay.....went over and above to accommodate us. We added on a day and Lisa got us our dinner reservation and put a note under our door to notify us after we returned from the pool. Pools were nice, although one was closed for 2 days of our stay and then the pool we lounged at most of the time, closed mid morning....10-11am without explanation. A little inconvenient...we did go to another pool but all the chairs were taken by that time. Other than the check in staff and customer service personnel, very few people speak English ......which made things a little more difficult but manageable.

Entertainment......during the day was good but the nightly shows should be rated. I felt like some were not family friendly at all and could have tamed down a lot for the first show of the evening and during the later repeat show, could have been more risqué . I was uncomfortable with my 10 year old daughter watching a show with men stripping down to their underwear and then the ladies dancing with thongs and smallest of tops spreading their legs and rubbing their private areas. I felt as if I were at a stripper club. Another show involved a premise of an female audience member playing a part, ie housewife at home cleaning.....and 3 other roles I forget what they were.......but the husband says goodbye and goes off say, to work, and in the other side of the stage, her lover shows up and they "pretend" to be lovers .......engaging in various skits to get into "bed" on a lounge chair. Then the husband shows up unexpectedly, and "shoots" (with an air gun) the lover and the female. During one skit, the male entertainer & female audience member are sitting on the stage floor with their legs crossed in from of one another and the male grabbed the females head and pulled her toward his crotch! And the others, just trying to get into bed for sex was inappropriate! I felt this entire evening of entertainment was not appropriate for children....and it ought to be labeled as such.

Food was good....no issues at all. No one got sick from water or food!

Dear Client,

Your praise towards Lisa will be appreciated by her and of course she will be motivated with your positive comments.

We thank you for taking the time of sharing your opinion with us which we will take in the highest consideration.

Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, all-inclusive hotels for your holidays in the Punta Cana.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

So I just got back from Bahia Principe Bavaro yesterday. We went for a week ( 7/17/13-7/24/13). And on our way to the Airport we were super upset leaving this amazing place. Now dont even listen to the negative comments people say about this resort. Its clean, the people are friendly. Always saying "Hola" or "Hello" to everyone they see. If you need anything they are more than happy to help you. The food is delicious ! They have a Buffet you can go to for Breakfest, lunch and dinner. I have a super sensitive stomach and I am a picky eater and I had no problem with the food. And they have other restaurants too but you have to make reservations. They have Italian, Espanol, Spanish, Garden grill, Japanese and more) We went to the espanol and garden grill and the food waa really good! Make the reservations as soon as possible. It didnt give me any problems and me and my family enjoyed it the whole time we stayed there. The rooms are huge, clean, and organized. The balcony is cute and nice view. The bathroom was gorgeous with a Jacusi tub and a big mirror. Me and my Twin cousins had no issue using the mirror together. And the bathroom is pretty big too. The mini fridge is available for people in the room and its free and the maid replaces it everyday while shes cleaning. The resort is huge but the lil buses were constantly on the move to get you wherever you needed to go.

The shows in this resort had to be my favorite part of the day. The shows were soooooo good! And kept you entertained. Not boring at all. They had new and different types of shows every day. And the show area would get so packed because people loved the shows so much! ( so if you decide to watch a show you should check the time it starts and go a bit early). You wont regret it! They also have another show at 10:30 in the Pueblo Principe which had more funnier and live music and other cool stuff.

The pools are clean and fun. I play volleyball so once I saw a volleyball court at the pool area I was happy! They have a bar in the pool so we had drinks and enjoyed the music and the pool shows that the funny pool staff would do. Every pool bar closes at 6. The beach is beautiful with lots of activites to do (Banana boat, air balloon, etc.) And if you like going to the Disco and get hungry after they have a Snack bar open 24 hours near the beach ( take the bus or walk towards Bahia Principe Ambar ★★★★★) They also have a Karaoke bar and a Sports bar.

The lobby is nice and comfty too. They also play music there and have a bar. Lots of people stay there because of the free wifi! The bar closes at 11 in the lobby and thats when everyone goes to the disco , sports bar, etc. But you are more then welcome to stay in the lobby if you are comfty and using wifi.

The resort has its own little theme song. Its in spanish and it goes like " Yo volvere a Bahia Principe ♪♬" I would go back to Bahia principe in English. and it goes with a lil dance too. Additionally, you can visit the Tour operator to Inform you about activites you can do outside of the resort which are really fun too. ( Island Saona , go ride the go karts, Safari, and more! Extra cash needed and the company will pick you up )

This Resort is a 5 star hotel for a reason. Its paradise! I totally recommend this place to everyone. I cant wait to go back and thats very soon! See you soon Gran Bahia Principe :)!!

( We went to Bahia Principe Bavaro. I dont know how Bahia Principe Ambar, Bahia Principe Punta cana or the other resorts that are in the same area are but I heard they're great too. But go to Bavaro instead!)

• Stayed July 2013
Customer Servic... B, Customer Service at Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro, responded to this review, July 26, 2013
Dear Carlene,

It is very exciting to hear that you had an absolutely amazing experience in our Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro. Additionally, it is a pleasure to know that our resort is one of the best you have ever been to.

We hope to have the honor to welcoming you once again and thank you personally your comments.

Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, a 5 star experience in Punta Cana.

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

Six of us (aged 30-65) recently returned from the Gran Bahia Principe Bavaro (16 July-23 July). Reading some of the reviews before our departure, I was a little apprehensive about staying here. However, I really cannot think of one thing to complain about, or point out as an issue. I am well-travelled and have stayed in different types of accommodation on a number of continents, which range from extremely less than exquisite, to 5 star plus. Overall, the resort is huge. Take note of this before booking this resort. If you prefer a smaller, more intimate place, then look elsewhere. The grounds are very well maintained, and so too are the pools and the beach. The shuttle service provided to navigate around the resort is quite good though, and we did not have a problem using it. The rooms were totally fine. They could be updated a little, but everything was in working order. The food was great and there was a large selection of à la carte restaurants to match all tastes and preferences, while the buffet restaurants offered a number of different dishes each day for breakfast, lunch and dinner. The nightly entertainment was pretty standard when compared to other resorts of this type, but nevertheless well-done. If you are interested in a resort that offers an upbeat nightlife, this may not be the best selection. It is more family/couples oriented. Service was also excellent. While it is true that many employees do not speak english very well, you should not have too great of a problem communicating with them. The front desk staff does of course, speak english well. Check-in and check-out went very smoothly. The staff was very courteous and interested in learning what we thought about the resort.
My only, and very small quibble is the charge for using the in-room safe. $4/day? Come on Bahia Principe. Even the smallest of hotels that offer such a service usually do not charge for that.

Room Tip: Try to get a room in one of the villas in between the beach and the lobby.
Dear Guest,

We are pleased to read that you had a great stay at our Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro. We also would like to thank you for sharing your experience and rest assured that your observations have been treated with great interest.

We hope to welcome you again in Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, all-inclusive hotels in the Dominican Republic.

Kind regards,

Leeds, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

Recently returned from the GPP Bavaro, stayed in the Hacienda Suites, 4th time to the Dominican Republic for me, 5th time for my husband, 1st time to Punta Cana for both of us. Stayed in block 27 and moved to 29.

Check-in: This was very stressful and not what we needed after a 9 hour flight with an hour delay and after the general confusion at the airport when we arrived. No-one spoke English very well and our Spanish was limited so it was hard to understand what we were being told. We were ushered into a conference room with around another 80 people (we were a group of 20 ourselves) where we were given our wrist bands and packs with room cards and towel cards and a map of the resort. I forgot to ask about the safe and had to go back up to reception later - no great pain and it gave me a chance to sort out about our a la carte reservations at the same time (we had booked these prior to arriving but did not realise the reservation slips had been put in my son and daughters pack and so redid all our reservations).

Room: Very spacious, large king sized bed with a nice firm mattress, well stocked minibar, an old style tv (not a problem for us) and perfectly adequate bathroom. Initially we had no problems until someone checked in to the room above ours then the shower from the room above leaked into our bathroom - to be fair the maintenance man came within 15 minutes and returned the next day to do the repairs (or so we thought, until the same thing happened again) eventually we managed to change rooms but only after Lisselotte came down to see the problem for herself as she was adamant it had already been sorted - the bath tub in both rooms had been re-sealed but for the amount of water that came through the ceiling we felt the problem was caused by the waste pipe. We had to disturb the couple in the room above to confirm they'd been using the shower at the same time I'd reported the problem, we did note that work was being carried out in both rooms later in the week when they had checked out so hopefully the next person will be lucky and have no problems. The hotel were very good gave us a new room the same night (we had to settle for two double beds instead of a king sized bed but again this was not a problem). The hotel compensated us with a bottle of wine and another fruit basket but the best surprise was the call we got the next day to come to reception where they gave us a credit for the lobby shop of $80 - it was not expected but really appreciated - thank you Lisselotte. The turndown service was a nice touch which we got for the majority of our stay, the room was kept clean and apart from one night where I had to go and seek out the maid for towels before I could shower we received our full compliment of towels - there were face cloths in the bathroom but I took my own.

Food: Some people have complained about the food in previous reviews but I personally had no issues and was very happy with the quality and selection which was on a par, if not better, than the Iberostar I previously stayed at. As we had upgraded to the Hacienda Suites we had use of the Santa Fe restaurant for breakfast and lunch which was very much appreciated as it provided a calm place in which to enjoy a meal and the service was better then we received in the main buffet restaurant. We took advantage of the a la carte restaurants and our favourite was definitely the Italian on the Bavaro side followed by the Mexican. On the nights when we did not have an a la carte we ate at the main buffet which we nicknamed "Gen Pop". It was way too busy and the food area is not as large as it looks on the website, it was mayhem and the service was very poor, the food however was good.

Entertainment: Activities in the main pool are loud and brash. Unlike other resorts we did not see any of the animation team walking round chatting to holidaymakers and therefore did not take part in any activities i.e. aqua aerobics as we did not see any taking place; this in part could have been due to the Punta Cana activity pool being closed for repairs for 10 of our 14 days. We did see aerobics on the beach but no announcement was made to say when it was starting - you do get an activity sheet which lists the days/times for the activities but it would be nice to hear an announcement too. Evening entertainment was ok at best, we did not see all of it but did enjoy the circus show but parts of it went on too long. If you liked Michael Jackson then you should enjoy the show every Monday.

Pools/beach: We alternated between the beach and the middle pool area on the Bavaro side. Please be careful with valuables around the pool, my son had his mobile phone stolen from the Hacienda pool as my husband, who had been asked to look after it, had forgotten he had left it with the towel on the lounger when he went to the bar and an opportunist thief took advantage of this - to you if you are reading this, I hope you enjoyed the pictures of his last day at high school which unfortunately were not backed up before coming on holiday and are irreplaceable (lessons learned for us). My mother-in-law also had a blue towel stolen from the same pool but luckily for her as we had upgraded she had received sufficient towel cards and towels on arrival so did not get the $20 fine.

Overall opinion of the hotel was that it was very good value for money, the grounds are beautiful and well kept. The trolley buses were very welcome however sometimes it was easier to walk, no bad thing when you are on two weeks all inclusive. The waterpark was excellent for the little ones and quite a haven from the hustle of the rest of the resort. We had excellent service from Leanne our Thomas Cook rep and indeed the hotel when issues arose.

We found some staff to be friendly and approachable in particular Grey who would take our drink orders on a night in the Bavaro terrace area without complaint that there were 20 of us to serve (unlike another who expressed her frustration by sighing loudly when we were trying to overcome the language barrier when ordering drinks) and Yolana who greeted us in the Santa Fe each morning with an hola, and a genuine smile (I'm only sorry I did not get to see her on the last day to say thank you in person).

I would recommend this hotel to others but be prepared for the size of resort even though you may not be able to access it all (depending on which part you are staying in) and learn Spanish. This is my 4th visit to the Dominican Republic and my husband's 5th and this was the only time we have come up against the language barrier, usually we can communicate with the reception staff at least. The positive of this was that we did attempt to speak Spanish but when there are problems with rooms or a la carte bookings it can be difficult to explain and get your point across and vice versa.

Go with an open mind, a Spanish phrase book and enjoy.

Room Tip: Top floor for less noise. Ground floor if you have small children.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Customer Servic... B, Customer Service at Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
Dear Client,

We value your opinion about your recent stay in Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro. Guest experiences are the key ingredient to analyze our daily performance.

We hope you will be willing to give us the opportunity to welcome you once again in Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, all-inclusive hotels in the Dominican Republic.

Warm greetings,

Bahia Principe Bavaro Resort

Been to Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro? Share your experiences!