“Don't do it !I should've listened to bad reviews” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro

You added Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro to your Saves list
Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Arena Gorda - Macao, Seccion Baigua | Arena Gorda - Macao, Seccion Baigua, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Hotel virtual tour
Special Offer
Winter up to 50% off
Ranked #49 of 99 Hotels in Punta Cana
Houston, Texas
“Don't do it !I should've listened to bad reviews”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

O goodness - where do I start ?!?Let me give the reasons --
top 11 Complaints-
1.Right away when I got there I had to wait forever in line to check in and had had 2 others jump in front of me in line , which I know the front desk staff saw but still helped them first before me and the other guests that were in line as we should be.
2- We were told our room would be near the beach , when we got to the room it was at the back end of the property with one bed not two as booked....
3- The shuttle service is not reliable sometimes it comes, sometimes youll be walking forever and they will pass you
4-bell boys are short staffed - we actually dragged our suticases all the way to lobby after waiting 20 min for him when we switched rooms
5-the phones in room didnt work
6-there were DRUNK teens everywhere !!! I understand I went over spring break - but drunk 15-17yr olds screaming all night and at the beach and the pool!!!! and stay away from the "bar " and "disco " its a hot mess of drunk teeny boppers!!!
7- 75% of the male staff checks you out all the time, blows kisses, and talks about you - I do speak spanish , just acted like I couldnt - so I could be entertained by their stupid comments , then I would fire back in Spanish
8-You have to pay for the safe in the rooms !!!! first hotel Ive stayed at like that !
9-THE FOOD IS TERRIBLE !!!!!!!!!!!! thats an understatement!!!!! the reservation only restaurants are ok at the most .....then theres the nasty buffets- from breakfast lunchand dinner it is BAD!!!!!! even with a good buzz - its nasty - the bread is all hard , stale, all the meats are yuck , even the pasta is bad!!!!!! the desserts were cute to look at it - but forget it !!!!!! when u dont it gets worse --- theres the "snack bar" the hamburgers you can bounce, the buns you can use as a weapon, the hot dogs were jelly- powdery like.......even if you upgrade rooms its all the same food!
10- the drinks are bottom shelf !!!!!! DO NOT try any of the wines, worse than boxed wine !!!
11- my email got hacked after using the computers there !!!!!!
Now the pros-
1. Its a clean resort- you can see the staff works hard
2. the ice cream and french fries are ok

I feel bad leaving such a terrible review but it was a bad experience - we could barely eat the food , didnt get to rest cause the screaming teens, staff wasnt too nice - except in the restaurants and buffets the staff worked hard . I have a lot more compliants but these things were what made our "vacation " not good....and Ive traveled plenty and stayed at other all inclusives - I will definitely not be going back to any of these !!!

Room Tip: Doesnt really matter all the food even with upgraded rooms is terrible - but if you want to be close...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Customer Servic... B, Customer Service at Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Dear Guest,

We apologize for any inconveniences you may have experienced. Please be assured that your observations have been taken in the highest consideration and shared with the General Manager of our Resort to analyze the points you mentioned.

It’s our sincere hope to have the opportunity to welcome you in the near future in any of our Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, and demonstrate you our commitment to excellence.

Regards from Dominican Republic!

Grand Bahía Príncipe Bávaro Resort

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (927)
  • Polish first
Riverside
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

Bahia Principe was absolutely amazing. My husband and I went for our first anniversary and I would definitely go back. The beaches are immaculate, the pool is sparkly and the perfect temp. The bartenders are all so nice and welcoming and since we used Apple vacations, we were treated like royalty. The maids left little gifts in our room each day. I love that they do events for college aged kids for us to watch ( a little older than college kids, now). The drinking games were hilarious and the 'olympics' were definitely a fun thing to watch. The shows at night are great. You can tell they really put a lot of effort into making them what they are. The food is good. I'm not going to say it's fantastic because you aren't at an all inclusive resort for fantastic food. Every night there were plenty of choices no matter what nationality your are or health issues you may have. The Maiko japanese hibachi is awesome and the BBQ restaurant is really good. It's outdoor seating so you get to really enjoy the atmosphere. I loved this resort and had not a single problem. I love the DR!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Karli,

Please allow us to reassure that we are extremely proud to know that you enjoyed an absolutely amazing stay at our Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro. We greatly appreciate that you have chosen our Resort as your first anniversary destination, and you loved the experience.

Looking forward to seeing you soon in Dominican Republic!

Kindest regards,

boston, ma
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

We stayed here for my birthday weekend. Check in took a while but was pleasantly surprised with our room. It was clean. Beds are ok. We were close to the pool. I liked that the shuttles past by very frequently getting you to and from the beach was a breeze. The food was very good and had a good variety. drinks were horrific. Nothing was freshly squeezed. The only good mixed drink I had was at the pool bar. Many thanks to Yubelkis who made happen my birthday cake. We were suppose to reserve it 2 hrs before but didn't get a chance to. Same day of my birthday we asked her for a cake and she made it happen in the evening! Tons of people at this resort. Please be aware there are 5 resorts at this location. We were confused when we got here and finally it figured out. Entertainment throughout the hotel We were there for the Punta Cana festival. We had our gourmet dinner at the French restaurant which was wonderful.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Argenis,

Once again, Happy Birthday! Thank you for highlighting Yubelkis, who took care of your birthday cake. She will be delighted with your comments.

Your observations about our drinks have been share with the Food & Beverage Manager to analyze the points you mentioned.

Thank you for your comments and looking forward to welcoming you once again!

Stittsville
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

All in all we enjoyed our stay however we have some reservations and suggestions. We were looking for quiet and relaxation. Unfortunately we came during spring Break so the property was filled with young boisterous people - our problem not yours. We will be more careful about timing when we book again. We looked at the Amber property and would consider staying there as an alternative.The amenties in the suite itself left something to be desired. The lighting in the room and especially the bathroom was extremely dim. The old style TV should be replaced with an updated LCD style. The maid service was excellent. You did not ask for a review of Le Gourmet - the french restauarant. Our meal there was by far the best of all the meals we had during our stay. It is extremely difficult to book at the specialty restaurants after check in. There should be a way to book in advance prior to getting a room number.

Room Tip: The resort is extremely large. Lok at a layout of the property and select a building which is best s...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Paul & Marilyn,

We would like to thank you for your suggestions, which we will take in the highest consideration, and for acknowledging our excellent maid service.

It will be a pleasure to cater you once again at any of our Hotels, especially either of our Luxury Don Pablo Collection, which are a superior category and offer you an even more exclusive service.

Best regards,

Beavercreek, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Went on a trip to Punta Cana with the family (we're all adults) this past 2012 Christmas break , December 17-24, rather than spending money on gifts. We stayed at the Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro in the upgraded junior suites. The rooms were pretty nice except for the fact that when you left the room you are supposed to have all the power shut off, to include the AC. They have a slot when you enter the room to put in your room key to turn all power on, and you're supposed to pull it when you leave. This kills the AC, fridge, clocks, etc. which can be a bit inconvenient. You CAN just leave a card in the slot while you're out, or put in a piece of cardboard like we did. With the rooms the upgrade didn't really seem worth it like other places. Made you closer to the beach, but further from the lobby area and nightlife.

The food here wasn't too bad. I've had better, but they did have some things that were really good. The Japanese restaurant was delicious and so was the French. I didn't get to have the garden grill, but I heard from my family it was amazing. The restaurants at night booked up pretty fast so I suggest going to make reservations IMMEDIATELY. By the morning after checking it, we almost weren't able to use all of our dinner options because everything was booked.

Bars were good, but the beer was terrible, and I am not generally picky about beer. They served Bohemia, which is no where near as good as Presidente which we got at most other resorts. Fortunately you can just drink mixed drinks. They offered a special mix drink for the day at each bar and a specialty bar in the lobby at night that gave you some nice options. It did seem like the bars would close a little early compared to other resorts we were at. It was a little annoying when the pool bars would close and clean up early before the pool was closed or the lobby would shut the lights off on you and close down by 11:00 PM. Sports bar was a lot of fun and open late, so I suggest finding and checking that out. By the way, the drinks in the Casino are not included, just so you know.

Pools were nice, but there were a few too many kids at this resort for our group. They also seemed to close a little early, but a lot of resorts do that. If you want a chair though, get their early. Same thing with the beach. But the beach was nice and clean, but it stinks that there is really only one beach bar, but some resorts don't have any.

The night shows that we went and saw were really good. The shops are nice, but the courtyard in the shops is where they let the locals set up their stands and they are some of the pushiest people. I purposely paid a little more at the shops so they would leave me a alone. Service wasn't too bad, but did have a lot less people that spoke english, so I had to break out the broken spanish.

It was a great trip all around, but depending on price we may look elsewhere, we may not. I would consider staying here again. It's honestly what you make of it.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Customer Servic... B, Customer Service at Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro, responded to this review, March 15, 2013
Dear Guest,

We are very pleased to know that you experience a great family trip during your last Christmas Break. Your suggestions will be appreciated for all readers.

It is wonderful to know that you are considering coming back to our Resort, and please be assured that it will be a pleasure to cater you once again.

Always at your disposal,

1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Do yourself a favor, & go somewhere else!
When we arrived, we were put into a hotel 15 minutes from the beach. Luisa, at the front desk, kept telling us to wait, wasting our time, as she would find another room closer to the beach. Then we asked to speak to a manager & she said he was on break (this was around 3pm). After we waited for 30-40 more minutes waiting to speak with him, she said there was nothing they could do & to come back tomorrow at 1pm (we still never got to speak to a manager). We told her several times we would pay whatever the cost to get us into a room closer to the beach. She would show us other reservations with the words "Do Not Move" on their envelope, which led us to believe we were bumped from our original room closer to the beach. We had met several other couples/groups who had run into the same problem while trying to check in. We got to the front desk at 1pm the next day and they knew nothing of our plan to get upgraded to a new room 'at no charge' per Luisa, so we wasted more time. Again, we asked to speak to a manager & they said he was not around & there is nothing he would be able to do. The staff at the front desk would not let us speak to a manager. We could not make dinner reservations because "everything was booked", although when we passed the restaurants they were never crowded. The buffet food was terrible, as well as the warm beers they served and awful alcohol. Wearing our orange wristbands only allowed us into one buffet, which was the one by our room, 15 minutes from the beach; very inconvenient. The staff was rude. Guest services was a joke. Overall, we thought this hotel/resort was poorly managed and poorly run. We would NEVER recommend anyone to stay here especially at this hotel.

• Stayed March 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your experience at our Hotel. We apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced. We regret not having been able to achieve our main objective with you which is our guests´ entire satisfaction. Please be assured that your observations have been taken in the highest consideration.

Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

My husband and I stayed at this resort shortly after it opened - years ago. In deciding on where to stay with our kids this year, when a deal came up with this resort, we were comfortable here since we knew it. This resort has doubled, if not tripled, in size since our first stay. It is absolutely huge!! Going in, we knew chances of getting a room with an ocean view was pretty much not an option, we hoped to get a pool view or upper level. Our room was almost to the street, near the water park. Needless to say, this took awhile for me to get past. We attempted to move, but was told the resort was booked to capacity. There are trams that take you back and forth. These were readily available and we had no problem there. The resort is very very clean. We saw the staff actually cleaning and disinfecting the ashtrays and driveways! Staff is incredibly friendly. There are separate buffet areas for guest depending on where you are staying. Even though this resort is so big, we never experienced any waiting for food, tables, drinks, etc... This is the first time my kids were in Punta Cana and they loved it of course! Only reason I am not giving an execellent rating is due to the size. It is just way too big. We spend a lot of money to go on vacation and something smaller, better views - even with a glimpse of the ocean is more preferred.

The beds are hard as rocks and the shower stalls are still the same. Unless you have the showe head pointing straight down and not too high up, the water will be all over the floor. There is only a half sheet of glass that does not go far enough back to contain the water, no curtain or door. Once in our rooms, the keys did not work and the safe was not working. Within 5 minutes, someone was at our door to fix these things. Check in did take some time, but we were there at high season.

I would go back to Punta Cana without a doubt. This was our 4th time there. Beaches are GORGEOUS!!! (Also, there is no seaweed on the beach, the tractor comes through in the morning to pick up anything that has been racked.)

Room Tip: Try to ask for a pool view -- while giving a tip on check in may help.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your family vacation experience, and for mentioning our incredible friendly staff and gorgeous beach.

We would like to welcome you for your 5th visit to Punta Cana at any of our Hotels, especially either of our Luxury Don Pablo Collection, which are a superior category and offer you an even more exclusive service.

Best regards,

Grand Bahía Príncipe Bávaro Resort

Been to Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro? Share your experiences!