“Beautiful property, a few problems” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro

Save Saved
You added Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro to your Saves list
Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playa Bavaro | Arena Gorda-Macao, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #49 of 100 hotels in Punta Cana
Islip, New York, United States
“Beautiful property, a few problems”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

Rooms, beach, pools , maintenance, waiters, bartenders were all great. Everyone was so helpful and pleasant. Also, this is the cleanest resort we have ever stayed at and the activities at the beach and pools were so much fun. Based on time spent actually enjoying the property I would give the resort 5 stars and definitely return. We had a great time.
Unfortunately the check in process and restaurant reservation procedure were the worst we have ever experienced. Arriving at 3:15 pm we finally got into a room that was ready at 6:40pm. The first room we were given at 5:20 pm had several issues and we immediately requested another room. The next day we spent more than an hour at guest services and never actually got a reservation
we could use. Buffet restaurants were just ok, did not go hungry but did not have a good dining experience. Based on time spent dealing with issues that could have been resolved in minutes rather than hours I would hesitate to return. Any time spent in the lobby instead of enjoying this beautiful property is a waste of time and money which directly impacts the value received for money paid. Hopefully management will improve these problem areas.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Customer Servic... B, Customer Service at Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro, responded to this review, February 16, 2013
Dear Guest,

Receive cordial greetings from the entire team working at Grand Bahía Príncipe Bávaro Resort, especially from our Quality & Customer Service Department.

We are very pleased to read that you enjoyed of a wonderful holiday thanks to our rooms, beach, pools, maintenance, waiters, bartenders, cleanness, activities, as well as the good service from our employees. At Bahía Príncipe our goal is to make your vacation become an unforgettable experience. It is a pleasure for all of us to hear that we were able to fulfill your expectations and, it is wonderful to know that you are considering coming back to our Resort.

We regret your observations about our food concepts, but please allow us to inform you that our menus are done taking into consideration the diversity of our guests. Indeed, our satisfaction’s questionnaires always reflect high punctuations. In the same way, we will look for new alternatives to improve our services.

Thank you for your comments and looking forward to seeing you soon!

Regards from Bávaro.

6,862 people have reviewed this hotel

1943
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (792)
  • Polish first
Salisbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

We stayed here in may 2012 and enjoyed a fantastic experience. The hotel is so vast it's a village! We upgraded to hacienda and enjoyed the rooms around the middle of the complex, got an exclusive breakfast and lunch restaurant to use and got extra evenings in the al a carte restaurants. As well as this we had dressing gowns and slippers in the hotel rooms - a nice touch.

The various pools offered you a different holiday experience each day if you wanted it. From a quiet pool with some local music playing in the background to one with disco music and games playing all day, all were available depending on your mood. The standard buffet restaurant offered at least 10 different dishes for every meal and the al a carte restaurants also offered a varied menu meaning you never got bored of the food. The different bars served great cocktails and other drinks with even some international brands being included in the all inclusive list (Smirnoff vodka and tanquary gin were both available). As we've always experienced, the Dominican people really top off what is already a great holiday - their smile and service is second to none. The one thing to remember (and embrace) is that they work on 'Dominican time' which may mean 5 minutes become 15 - don't get annoyed and impatient by this, relax and wait! You're on holiday!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Customer Servic... B, Customer Service at Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro, responded to this review, February 15, 2013
Dear Guest,

Receive cordial greetings from all the team working at Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro Resort, especially from our Quality & Customer Service Department.

It is a pleasure for all of us to hear that we could fulfill your expectations during your stay in our Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro Hotel . We are proud to hear that you had an excellent stay due to the friendliness of our staff members.

Thank you for your recent review on Trip Advisor and for highlighting the good stuff such as gastronomic variety, rooms, pools, activities and Hacienda Club´s room. We appreciate these comments as they have been our general area of focus for the past year.

We would like to have the opportunity to welcome you once again at our Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro to experience the hospitality of our people, the quality of our services and facilities

Best regards,

Lebanon, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

can't beat the weather.,the beach and the pools. the staff always friendly and happy...especially our favorite lobby bartender angel jaquez moya and the pool bar man wilson....."i love my job" we have been to the DR many times before and have not been disappointed. The food is good always fresh fruit and made to order eggs every morning. Nightly entertainment featuring michael jackson and the dancers are incredible and hard working.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent review on Trip Advisor and for highlighting the good aspects such as beach, pools, night entertainment and fresh food. It is a pleasure for all of us to hear that we were able to fulfill your expectations. Please be assured your comments will be forwarded to Angel and Wilson.

We would like to have the opportunity to welcome you once again at our Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro and continue providing the most memorable vacations.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

Well this are last day here, i have to say we have enjoyed it.. The food was great at the buffet, and at the reataurants, the beach was beauiltful water clear and sand soo white,the pool clean wait staff pleasant Nd friendly( super Jesus)' great guy, the gounds well taken care of, the train is nice to have after a long day at the beach,room clean and big, ar key did not work one day and they were there to fix it in 5 minutes,, would come back,,

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

We are very pleased to read that you enjoyed of a wonderful holiday thanks to our rich gastronomy, beautiful beach, big & clean rooms, as well as the good service from our employees.

At Bahía Príncipe our goal is to make your vacation become an unforgettable experience. It is a pleasure for all of us to hear that we were able to fulfill your expectations and, it is wonderful to know that you are considering coming back to our Resort. Please be assured that it is an honour and a great compliment for us to forward such nice comments to

Thank you for your comments and looking forward to seeing you soon!!

Regards from Bávaro.

Yarmouth Port, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

The place is beautiful. The beach is breathtaking. The pools are lovely. The food was plentiful, well presented, and very good. The customer service was the worst I have ever encountered.

I only had 4 whole days to enjoy my vacation. Spending part of the evening we arrived and most of the following day waiting for someone to fix things (like the KEY) was not just frustrating, it was like being robbed - of time, of money and of precious time away.

The first night we were taken to a room with only one bed, after I had written to make sure there would be two. We were two women traveling together who have no desire to be that close! We had the bellman take us back to the lobby where we were informed that there were no more rooms at the inn. With over 700 suites? Really? The "manager" said we could have a room with 2 beds the next day. When I asked how that would be possible if they were so booked, he said that someone else would have to be disappointed the next day. Yikes. Back to the room we went - where we still had to call and request sheets to make up the (twin sized) couch. Yup, that's why we upgraded in the first place, so I could sleep on a couch. Also, after paying for a safe, it didn't work so we were forced to carry all our valuables to dinner.

The following morning, after breakfast, we hightailed it to the lobby and asked when we could expect to be moved. They said they would move our luggage right away but we couldn't have keys until 1 o'clock. OK, so we we lugged our stuff around until then. Again, the safe key didn't work and, it turned out, either did the room key. I started calling for help with this issue about 1:50 PM and it was just before 5 PM (And after I had totally blown up at whoever was on the other end of the phone that had told me I must stay in the room and wait for staff and that they would be there in "10 minutes" just one time too many) before it was resolved. During this time, three different guys arrived with little boxes which plugged into the safe and agreed that, yes, they did not work. Sadly, they had no idea how to solve the problem. That day was pretty much blown.

The night before we left, I thought I would try out the Jacuzzi. It was a little tricky to get in but I thought it would make my tired back feel better. Well, something went awry and the room flooded and the electricity blew. Now I find myself in this high, slippery tub in pitch blackness. I managed to inch my way out, only to discover I was ankle deep in water and had a heck of a time finding the door. I called down for help and explained that the room was not only without power but was flooded to boot. I admit, help came a bit faster this time - sort of. The guy came to fix the power and had to slog through to shut off the Jacuzzi which jump-started when he turned the power back on, while another guy arrived on a bicycle and handed me two towels! I insisted that he come inside the room and see how he thought this "solution" would work. He very pleasantly asked, "Housekeeping?" Uh, duh, ya think? The electricity guy said, 'No more towels on the floor" OK! Do you think housekeeping ever showed up? I'll give you two guesses. The towels went on the floor. It seemed better than drowning or electrocuting myself in there. And, for a place that supposedly prides itself on its multi-lingual staff, apparently English is not one of the languages they know very well.

Should I include the part where we got one towel one day, no face-clothes two days, and they took off our bedspreads - one morning mine was folded up on the sofa and two nights later, my room-mate's received the same inexplicable treatment? Since We left the AC on all night, we were using them so we just never figured that one out. And, yes, we tipped every day.

Through all this, not one person apologized or even acknowledged our frustration or inconvenience.

Since I consider myself to be a pretty upbeat, accepting sort of person, I don't want to end on such a negative note. I do want to put in a good word for the specialty restaurants we went to. The chef at the Japanese restaurant had no personality (Or English, I guess). He simply showed us the ingredients and than cooked and served them. I wanted to go in the other room where I could hear the people having a great time with their chef. However, the food was delicious and the service was terrific. I would go back to eat there any time.

The Dominican restaurant was lovely and the staff there was very attentive and friendly. The food was good, though not fantastic but the ambiance and people made it well worth it. It was the best night out we had.

The entertainment crew deserves a lot of praise and admiration as well. They were energetic and so much fun to watch in the nightly shows. I have never seen a more hard-working crew anywhere!

Some friends of mine also booked this resort because we were going and because the deal looked so great. While their experience was not as dramatic as ours, it wasn't what they expected either. We all agreed that next year we would like to go back to the Caribbean but never again to the DR in general and the Gran Bahia in particular.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Customer Servic... B, Customer Service at Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro, responded to this review, February 13, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your experience at our Hotel. We greatly appreciate your feedback as it enables us to continue improving and providing better service for our guests.

We would like to take this opportunity to extend our most sincere apologies for the inconveniences you encountered during your stay at our hotel. Please be assured that your comments have been already brought to the General Manager and we will give the proper attention.

We apologize for the impression you could perceive for the language barrier with some of our staff members. We assured you that we continuously work with our Human Resources and Quality departments to reinforce the training of our personnel. We strongly believe that our guest’s satisfaction depends of their daily performance.

We are glad to find out that there were some aspects from our services you find worth to mention such as beautiful premises, breath-taking beach, lovely pool, plentiful food, good entertainment and nice restaurants.

We hope to welcome you once again at one of our Hotels and be able to show our quality of service and customer satisfaction, commitment of our Bahia Principe Hotels & Resort, and change any negative perception you may have about us.

Charlottesville, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

My husband and I were in 44202 Bavaro Jr. Suite Premier from 1/28-2/4 and had a wonderful time.
When I realized after booking, that Bahia is actually 5 separate resorts within the Gran Bahia and that we had booked the Premier the furtherst from the beach I was concerned. Not to worry. Frequent trams running all day long to the beach. Yes, need to get there early for chairs but no real problem. The reason we felt that our location turned out to be so comfortable for Ken (81) and me (78) is that we were overlooking the pool and conveniently located to the restaurants and other services. Never had a problem securing a chair around the pool. We were very impressed by the standards of cleanliness and hospitality of the staff both in the suite and the restaurants. The only recommendation we would make to management in terms of the villas is they need to install railings in the stairwells. When you have stone and marble everywhere that gets wet frequently it could be a real safety problem. Saw a lot of young people limping around - slipping or sipping? When a person first arrives at Bahia they are delivered to sign in at their resort but since Premier is a part of Bavaro we were signed in at the Bavaro lobby, sent to our room in Premier and from then on, used the Premier lobby for a stay. This was most enjoyable with the bar and also a coffee machine that dispenses expresso, lattes, cappuchino, etc. and a wide assortment of Twinings teas. We have seen complaints about the food in the dining rooms and really don't understand this. The resort serves a wide array of nationalities all of whom have their own special tastes and we think they do a very good job of presenting diverse choices. Being from the Blue Ridge mountains we do not have a lot of fresh fish and at Bahia we had lobster, shrimp, grouper, tuna, salmon, seabass and other white fish. By the toaster at breakfast many choices of spreads, butter, margerine, olive oil/garlic, nutella, jams and of course, all manner of eggs, sausages, etc. Do not bring a float because you will have a hard time finding someone who will blow it up. Just buy one for $10 and have the shop where you buy it, blow it up and give it to a kid when you leave. We want to send a special thank you to: John (Bubba King) who is the Trip Advisor expert on Bahia under the handle Brooklin - go to the Punta Cana forum for questions - he's terrific; Albania Batista who receives your request for a room and John has her address; Xavier de Jesus who works to help on your restaurant reservations and is completely accessible; Oscar Martinez,, Director Club Premier and really on top of his game with a hard working staff. Nineth, Yelis and Gray were wonderfully helpful - thank you. If you have questions about Bahia feel free to ask. The sleep quality was excellent except for one night when some very drunken Baltic States guests hollored every couple of hours 12:00, 1:30, 3:30, 4:30am.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Hutchinson, Minnesota, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

Were very pleased with our stay here. The resort is HUGE so the little cart around the property was very appreciated. Staff was very accomadating. The waiters were always so happy and helpful. The layout was confusing for the first couple of days, but after that it was easier. Sharing the resort with so many different areas( Ambar, Esmerelda, Punta Cana and Bavaro) was unexpected but worked out. If you do not want to spend your vacation with large crowds, this resort is not for you. Food was fabulous. The ala cart restaurants were fun. The large pool and the beach was hard to get a chair if you did not get down there really early in the morning. The smaller pools seemed better. But there is nothing like being on the beach for a vacation. The rooms were very large and comfortable. We did three tours around the area, and they were great. The roads in the mountains were very primitive, but worth the ride up there to do the Zip lines. May not return here since there are many more places to visit in a lifetime, but would recommend it to those who have not been in DR before.

Room Tip: We upgraded to Hacienda, and that was worth it to be closer to the beach.