“True Caribbean dream!!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro

Save Saved
You added Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro to your Saves list
Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playa Bavaro | Arena Gorda-Macao, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #48 of 100 hotels in Punta Cana
London, United Kingdom
“True Caribbean dream!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

We have decided to go to Dominican Republic just 6 months after our trip to Egypt and although "Caribbean Island" has always sounded very exciting we weren't expecting much more than we have seen in Egypt already - just maybe bit more of a beautiful sand, sea and weather...But what we have experienced there is just hard to describe!!!!

When we have arrived into the resort we were stunned by it's size - it is a large resort, however - thanks to the shuttle cars - moving around the resort is pretty easy (FYI - walk from beach to reception is 10-15 minutes anyway)...Rooms are also large (with gigantic bed) - and as anyone can expect from 5* resort - neat and tidy and cleaned up everyday - nothing to complain about...Garden - palms, exotic flowers and other plants - are everywhere - creating really amazing surrounding...

But the best part of the resort it's beach and swimming pool!!! Despite the fact that during the peak seasons GBP can accommodate up to 6000-7000 guests, the swimming pools are large enough to accept that number of people...Pools are very clean and - with swim-bars in them - you will be probably spending half of your time there...

Beach - also large enough for the resort - tidy with significant number of sun-beds and typical "palm-umbrellas" (even in the afternoon you won't have a problem to find a spot for yourself although the best areas will definitely be taken (bit of an annoyance - some people still tend to "mark" the beds as taken and then wander off for hours and hours - a specially in the morning - something should be finally done about that)...What is also worth to point out - and not everyone is aware of that - you can rent out water sports for free...such as catamaran or wind-surfing board...Anything with petrol thou (speedboat) is for cash...

Hotel staff is very friendly and helpful, food served in the main buffets and a la carte restaurants was really tasty, with gigantic choice which should keep happy even the largest picky-eater...Drinks - you could have them 24 hrs. a day...a specially margaritas...and pina coladas...

Excursion trips - Saona Island for sure!!!!!

In summary - amazing hotel with beautiful scenery, tasty food and drinks, friendly staff and brilliant swimming facilities - 100% recommended...

***For us it also had two a bit negative things (which hasn't affected at all our general feeling about our stay anyway, although it is definitely worth to mention them).

First one is a la carte restaurants - although the food in them is very, very testy and beautifully served, the way it is organized has surprised us a bit...Being used to a la carte restaurants where everything is served to table - we were bit surprised when (apart from Japanese and French) we were requested to get our selves starters and desserts in the restaurant buffet while only main meal was delivered as expected...It didn't ruin our dinner...although I can't deny that old-fashioned meals are much more preferable (f wanted a buffet I would go to the main restaurant)...Best restaurants to pick - Japanese, French Gourmet and Tex-Mex...

Second - are shops....The price in them is unbelievably excessive!!! Dominican Republic is not the wealthiest countries in the world so you will be shocked when you see the prices in resorts shops!! Products (as swimming shorts, bikini) which you will buy in London for £ 5 you will buy there for $ 30-40...Even sun cream is for $ 25!! Also - what you shouldn't expect from the hotel shops - they were making up the prices - one day we would pay $ 2 for a stamp and $ 1 for 2 x postcard when the very next day they have asked for $4 for stamp and $ 2 for one postcard!!! Rip-off!! Also I wouldn't recommend to buy any souvenirs in main shops - instead - take a 30 min walk down the beach and you will find a market used by locals where you can definitely barter a lot - much better place to spend your cash....

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Customer Servic... B, Customer Service Manager at Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro, responded to this review, October 1, 2012
Dear client,

Receive cordial greetings from all the team working at Gran Bahia Principe Bavaro Resort, especially from our Quality & Customer Service Department.

We would like to thank you for bringing to our attention the comments about your stay in our Diamond Club.

It is a pleasure for all of us to hear that we could fulfill your expectations during your stay.
We regret to hear that your perception about the a la carte Restaurant was not completely positive, however be assured that your comments have been already brought to the General Manager attention.

We thank you for taking the time of sharing your opinion with us which we will take in the highest consideration.

6,817 people have reviewed this hotel

1925
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (790)
  • Polish first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

What can you say about gran Bahia pricipe bavaro !! Excellent we've just returned today after a 29 hr delay flight back . The maids are brilliant there is always plenty of choice of food t. Defiantly upgrade to the diamond/hasienda club it's worth it just to be able to eat in the Santa fe restaurant at breackfast and dinner!! The themed restaurants are a must !!! Please ignore some people's petty issues as some people are never happy if you wake up and insist you want a runny egg every day or complain your tea is cold after its been on the table for ten minutes then this isn't the hotel for you !! But if u don't complain just to complain this hotel can't be knocked

• Stayed September 2012
Dear client,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay at our hotel. We sincerely appreciate all feedback.

We are satisfied to hear that you had an excellent stay in our hotel facilities and we also are very pleased you enjoyed the all-inclusive program which includes a wide range of delicious food and beverage.

Thank you for your feedback and we are looking forward to welcome you again at Gran Bahía Príncipe Bávaro Resort.

Braga, Portugal
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

This is a wonderful place to spend your honeymoon.
Me and my husband travelled here in September 2010 for our honeymoon and everything was clean, the staff was really welcoming, always smiling and saying "hello".
Flowers all over the room and bathroom every single day.
If we needed something the staff was always ready to satisfy our needs.
Really quiet at night and in the morning.
Wonderful beach.
I highly recommend it.

Dear client,

We would like to thank you for bringing to our attention the comments about your stay in our Hotel.

It is a pleasure for all of us to hear that we could fulfill your expectations during your honeymoon and be assured that it is wonderful to know that you and your husband recommend our hotel.

Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

This was the first time we've been in Punta Cana and we absolutely choose the right hotel. It's a large resort but that's nice because there's not a lot to do in the environment. Gran Bahia Principe is like a small village.
The food is very good in the a la carte restaurants but also at the buffet.
We had a big room, who got cleaned every day.
We really liked our stay in this resort.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Customer Servic... B, Customer Service Manager at Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro, responded to this review, September 29, 2012
Dear Eline,

We are satisfied to hear that you had an excellent stay in our hotel facilities and premises.

We are also very pleased you enjoyed the all-inclusive program which includes a wide range of delicious food and beverage.

Thank you for your feedback and we are looking forward to welcome you again at Gran Bahía Príncipe Bávaro.

cumbria
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

We arrived at hotel and were shown to our room very promptly, excellent service for guests of the haciendas. We got eight a la cart sittings and were very impressed by most, food and service.
The hotel has exotic animals come onto the site most days these being Parrots, Monkeys Iguanas and Snakes the later my husband has a phobia off, after seeing the snake on the beach on the first week my husband became very anxious about seeing it again, but didnt worry about it too much on the resort itself untill walking to the lobby one morning where the snake and its keepers were blocking our path.My husband went to reception and complained to the receptionist and asked to speak to a manager, within five minutes we had a meeting with resort assistant manager ,my husband explaned his worries and within the hour the snake and its keepers were taken off site for the duration of our holliday. WELL DONE GRAN BAHIA !!!!
The hotel its self was bright and extreamly clean, staff were very pleasent and always had a smile for us, nothing was too much trouble, and our room was always spotless to return to.
Apart from the snake incident our only dissapointment was the trip we went on which was more like a18-30 booze cruze and not our idea of fun, having said good buy to 18-30 more years ago than we care to remember ;-0.

Room Tip: check in is so much easier for guests who book into haciendas, no que, air con room and delivered t...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Customer Servic... B, Customer Service Manager at Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro, responded to this review, September 28, 2012
Dear client,

It is a pleasure for all of us to hear that we could fulfill your expectations during your vacations.
We regret to hear that your husband’s impression about the snake was not positive, however be assured that your comments have already been brought to the General Manager attention and we are glad to know that the actions taken by our Assistant Manager were exactly what your husband wanted.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

I will say that I have been to this hotel twice... I obviously liked it well enough the first time to go back a second time, but things did change the second time around. First off, this hotel is nice in that the grounds are very large, as they have all 3-4 different properties together, but divided (like into separate neighborhoods). You have the Ambar, which is adults only, and the Esmeralda, which is fancier than the Bavaro and Principe, in that there is better tasting food, fancier rooms, and better service. The buffet either way, whether you're in Esmeralda or not, is very good considering that it is a buffet! To save on electricity, the rooms are run when your room key is placed into this slot on your wall (hint*you can place other items in there to keep the air on regardless of if you are there or not).
This is what I didnt like about my 2nd visit... how they somewhat tricked me into attending a timeshare conference. A rep called my room and asked if I had received my "complimentary" alcohol. I was thinking, "why no I havent," and was told to come down to the main lobby at 6 pm to get it. I went down at 6 pm and next thing I know I am carted off to the Esmeralda section, where they have their set up to sell timeshares. Man... do they harass you to try to get you to buy. because of that experience, I decided I wouldnt come back to Gran Bahia anymore, and there are plenty of high ranking/reviewed all inclusive hotels in Punta Cana, so I will try elsewhere next time! Afterwards, I also started noticing how random sales people would start to approach vacationers at the pool or the beach to try to get them to attend these conferences or whatever you want to call them. It may sound silly, but a few hours wasted and being hounded like that, put a damper on my vacation!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear client,

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your experience at our Hotel. We greatly appreciate your feedback as it enables us to continue to improve and provide better service for our guests.

We would like to take this opportunity to extend my most sincere apologies for the inconveniences you encountered during your stay at our hotel.

We have shared your comments with the Privilege Club team and we can assure you that all your concerns will be immediately addressed to the General Manager of our Resort.

I do hope that despite these inconveniences, you will be willing to give us a chance to welcome you once again at our hotel in order to change any misperception you may have about us.

We look forward to serving you again and we really want to make your next experience unforgettable.

Hamilton, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

I am not even sure how to start review on this resourt but I have to say that I work for WestJet airlines for many many years and I was fortunate to travel 6-8 times a year and visit many coutries/resorts/hotels. I stayed at Gran Bahia Principe for few days and I had to leave this place as I was very supprised by the service I received at "5* hotel. Let me start with check in, I arrived at the hotel at 5:25 pm, there was 2 couples in front of me to check in which looked great at that point.After 55 minutes in line I was able to finally check-in..Since I had no luggage, I asked gentelman at the front desk if is ok If I walk to my room (I was not sure how war was it)..He was very nice and gave me very clear directions to building 29 ( which was located at the great location).I went there with my backpack and laptop bag where I found out that my key is not working (which is ok), went back to the front desk with my 2 small bags and explained them that my key is not working, it was a 5 minutes wait time to get it all done. Finally I was all set to go back to my room and refresh after a long day.I get there and my key was not working again, which made me soo mad..I went back and left my 2 bags in front of the room door as I was tired of taking it around. I went back and stud in line for 15-20 minutes as front stuff was talking people fron the side lines and not in order from the right line. Finally when guy called me up, I asked him why there was a line if they were taking people from all over the place, he had no ansswer..Then he was looking at the computer for like 10 minuites and tells me that my room is no longer available and he has to move me 10 numbers back (to building39). I was very upset but that did not help so I had to go back to building 29 pick up my bags and go back to 39, at that point was 7:20, so it took me 2 hrs to get my room. I was soo happy just to get any room and be able to take a shower, which was another huge dissapointment, shower was broken, so water was spraying all over the place and I had to use extra towels to map the floor. Room was nice and clean, great bed and a/c was working very well. I got ready to go out for a dinner, when I arrived to a resataurant the front greeter told me that my shirt sleeved are too short ( it was not undershirt style shirt), just a t-shirt with smaller sleeves..She send me back to get changed again..Wow, I have to say the worse customer service experience ever.All ladies were alking with a hardly any tops on and that was fine by their manager? Internet was not working for a day and it was hard to find out when would be back in service. Food was ok, I can not compare their food with other 5* resorts in punta Cana, have to say the worse food so far.
The beach is nice and tons of chairs, so you do not have to rush there soo early..Pools are nice and clean..I would never go back to this hotel..There is lots of great hotels in Punta Cana...

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Customer Servic... B, Customer Service at Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro, responded to this review, September 27, 2012
Dear Guest,

We would like to take this opportunity to extend my most sincere apologies for the inconveniences you encountered during your stay at our hotel and I regret not having met with you during your stay.

We have shared your comments with my team and we can assure you that all your concerns will be immediately addressed to the General Manager of our Resort.

We do hope that despite these inconveniences, you will be willing to give us a chance to welcome you once again at our hotel in order to change any misperception you may have about us.

Customer Service Department
Gran Bahía Príncipe Bávaro Resort

Been to Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro? Share your experiences!