“Great place had lots of fun!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Memories Splash Punta Cana

You added Memories Splash Punta Cana to your Saves list
Memories Splash Punta Cana
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playa Arena Gorda | Macao, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Special Offer
Save up to 47%
Ranked #23 of 99 Hotels in Punta Cana
Toronto, Canada
“Great place had lots of fun!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2010

I loved it! I see lots of negative reviews here and am not sure why. Regardless of the positive or negative reviews you read here your experience will be your own. Two people can see the same situation different ways and will react differently.

I had a great time at Grand Paradise. The only thing I didn't like about it was how big it was. I personally prefer smaller hotels.
I am a seasoned All-inclusive traveler and have been to my share of really bad and really good hotels. This is in the middle. The 3 friends I traveled with were first timers and also had a great time. I prepared them a lot for what they were in for. If it's your first time, no matter which hotel you're going to, do NOT expect the level of hotel quality you have in your home counrty. They do they best they can but they are not your counrty, they do things differently.

The food was great, but two of my friends disagreed and survivied mostly on bread and pasta. The bread in the Club Buffet was the best and so fresh! :) Because this hotel is sooooo massive there are two buffets. We usualy ate at the buffet in the Club area but ventured to the other buffet a few times. They're mostly the same food wise. There is a trolly that takes you around the Club area and back to the main hotel. It's very reliable and comfy, or you can walk the path. It wasn't a big deal, not that far, and was very nice. We walked it a lot at night too. (there are lights)
Our first room sucked becasue it was not what we asked for and smelled moldy. I could not breathe. We CALMLY talked to the man at the front desk and he moved us. Problem solved. ...actually we switched 2 more times becasue of other reasons not my doing. But this all happened quickly and nicely.
The staff was all super nice and friendly. There were no Blue shirt time-share guys that most posts warn about. However the market that comes into the hotel weekly had some crazy guys. I've been to hotels when the market comes and they call you over, but these guys were pulling and blocking your path. Scary. Try to avoid them. And don't forget to haggle. There are stores in the hotel but they are pricey and are told not to haggle but sometimes can. Just not as much as the market. There is a market right beside the hotel that you can walk to. It's safe and mostly friendly. Just remember to haggle! If they tell you $70US offer 20-25. no joke! If you're really not up for it, the hotel stuff isn't that bad. Except for the chips. $8 for a bag of Doritos? I don't think so!
The beach is the same all along the strip. BEAUTIFUL!! Except this is at the top, so less locals selling things.
The pools were all nice. Enetertainment happened daily but can be ignored if you don't like it. The Club area that we stayed at turned out to be super French. I kinda wish we had been told that before hand. The pool entertainment was all in French so we had no idea what was going on. Easy solution thouhg: go to another pool. There are 3 pools. We stayed there sometiems though, there's a nice flower canopy.
We went to the Italian restaurant one night. It was lovely. I reccomend it. Another night we went to the stakehouse. The food was good but experience was Bad! It's open concept so you'd think it would be nice, but there was a beach party going on beside it. So we're trying to have a nice dinner with the steakhouse music playing, but then theres a guy on a sqeeky mic and party music going on and off. Kind of irritating. We also had a reservation for another restaurant, but then it was cancelled because of lack of people.
We went during a time of less tourists. It was nice. There were lots of people, but not too crowded. So we always got nice chairs together on the beach no matter what time we went. And usually could get them under the shade.
The bars were nice and so were the bartenders. Drinks galore! We heard you had to pay for some at the Boat bar, so we just never went. It looks really nice though. We went to the Disco twice. It was fun. "Ladies Night" was hilarious. Great entertainers! lol. They play good music and through some local tunes in ever once and a while. I didn't mind but the dance floor tended to clear. But as soon as it clears they got back to Top 40 or whatever you want to call it.
Just beyond the ropes on the beach there is coral and TONS of fish. Bring an underwater camera and rent a free snorkle from the hotel and go to and just beyond the rope. It's great! We saw about 10 different types including a puffer fish and a really large blue fish shaped like a dinner plate. We also went Kayaking one day. There's also mini golf, volleyball, tennis, bocciball, shuffleboard, pingpong, and other daily activities you can particpate in. We didn't though.
We went on two excursions through sunwing. Remember to buy your excursions though your travel provider, not from the beach. You might get ripped off. We went horsebackriding one day, which was fabulous!! Another day we went snorkling with Stingrays and nurse sharks. Great experience! I've been twice, once to 'Marinarium' and once to 'Stingray Bay'. They are both very much the same and I think the same price. 'Stingray bay' had a better stingray experience. 'Marinarium' has more sharks and they also take you to a sandbar to play in the water, drink, and chill to Bob Marley tunes. Both also take you to some nice reefs for snorkling and fish watching.
Oh and theres an orientation on the second day. If you've never travelled before you should go to it. If you've been to the DR before then you don't really have to. Unless you want excursions.
I don't know what else to say. It was great. I had fun. I reccomend it!
The only reason I might not go back is becasue I like smaller hotels. And becasue I like to try different ones. I have a favourtie in the DR and almost everywhere if anyone wants other hotel reccomendations.
Message me if you have any questions. I'd be happy to answer.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (555)
  • Polish first
Montreal, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2010

If you book in club section, it's the section furthest from the beach.
It is not a 4 star. don't make that mistake
I got sick even though I didn't eat any raw veggies and washed my face and teeth with the purified water they gave me in the room, so beware. I had to take Cipro (Antibiotic) which thank god I had brought with me.
Beach is very wavy but nice but if you walk to the left in fron of the Elegance hotel it's more beautiful and cleaner, don't ask me why.
It rained every day while I was there. Just 1 hour or so but still a hassle.
Lots of French tourists they have their own activities and animation group.
Not much animation at the pool, it's very surprising as hotels south usually have more stuff going on at the beach or pool.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled solo
Prince Edward Island, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2010

We divided a 2 week trip between this resort and the Barcelo Bavaro Palace Deluxe. We stayed here for 1 week . The price we paid for this resort was half of what we paid for our second week and in our opinion this resort was far best of the 2. I agree with some of the negative reviews, there is always room for improvement, but remember a 4 star in Dominican is not like a 4 star back at home. This resort is a no frills very comfortable resort... on with the review.

CHECK IN
Quick and simple. Staff very friendly.

ROOMS
Very basic, beds a little firm, pillows very uncomfortable. Everything working. Decently clean. Great cable TV...i say this because our other resort which was a star level higher had about 2 english chanels. No face cloths so bring your own.

FOOD
Always found something at the buffet, We are not picky eaters so this wasnt a problem. The snack bar at the beach is great, good pizza, chicken, it turns into the steak house at night, I heard it was good, but we never got to experience it....and its open as a snack bar again from 11pm-2am with great midnight munchies....Service was very friendly sometimes a little slow.

BARS
Great... no problems, this was our favorite part of this resort. The bartenders were very friendly.. great sevice. The sports bar is 24 hours and is enclosed, air conditioned and non smoking.... there is also 3 computers here for internet.

DISCO
Was GREAT...the music was good... good mix of the merengue, bachata, reggaeton and techno and your typical wedding dance stuff back home. Tried to cater to all. O yes and the best part it was NON smoking...open til 2 am...

BEACH
Beach was beautiful, the sand was a bright golden color which was different from the beach at the other end of Punta Cana..which was white... lots of waves for water sports. The water gets deep quickly so just to be cautious especially with young children or the elderly. Not alot of beach vendors. Very quiet and gorgeous breeze. We did the parasailing...recommend!!

INTERNET
This was a step above from the other resorts I have stayed ... had about 8 computers in the Club Section in and air conditioned building, and the 3 computers in the Sports bar. rates were $3 US for 15 minutes...$5 US for 30 minutes and $8US for 1 hour.

GYM
Airconditioned, had some free weights, unversal equipment, a bike, treadmill and an elliptical machine. Served the purpose for being on vacation.

ACTIVITIES
Lots of activities to take part in... we never did though. We are beach bums.

OTHER SERVICES
There was a casino onsite open until 4 am. There was also the Boat Bar in the club section..this was extra$$. The shops were good. The pools were great. There was lots of pools to choose from and none were crowded. The shows were ok..had much better in other resorts. There is a little plaza just outside of the resort to the left and much better prices.. always negotiate.

We didnt mind the walk from the Club section to the Main section... we just used that as our exercise time so our gym time was cut in half. There is a trolly to take you to and from each side.

OVERALL IMPRESSION
We had a great time at this resort...made lots of friends. Enjoyed late nights dancing. The beach was beautiful. The staff friendly and had a clean room...lots of non smoking areas for those of us who are sensitive...what more could I ask for. As for experiencing culture Punta Cana is not the place to go... its catered for tourists. We have been to Dominican MANY times and would rather the smaller tourist areas to get more culture and mingle with the locals like La Romana, Juan Dolio, and Cabarete.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Edmonton
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2010

Dear travelers,
I did not believe to any trip results before until I went to resort of Grand Paradise Bavaro, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic. This resort is awful and travelers should stay away and spend their money elsewhere, where they can get value and at least good service.
Service: rude, impolite and terrible.
Food: nothing special for 4 star resort, shortage of veggies, dirty dishes, dirty cloth of employees.
Hotel room: You will please a staff on daily basis to get towels or clean it on time.
Garden: needs more maintenance.
Reception: disorganise, your room will be not ready on time after your fly time.
Sport Bar: should be 24/7 with a food but reality is just “tap-room” with nasty liquor.
Swim Bar: dirty water with insect.
Beach: beautiful but shortage of towels everyday.
Finally: Bring your own coconuts if you like to have a coco loco drink or to be ready paying up to $6 US to lousy bartenders wearing dirty outfit. Watch what do you eat and drink, there are able to serve you stinky tap water and make you vacation or holiday horrific. I’ll never go back to Grand Paradise Bavaro Resorts!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2010

I'm posting this review almost a year after we went, but hopefully it still helps!

I am 24 years old and this was my first time to Punta Cana (5th or 6th time to the Dominican) and the first time that my boyfriend (25 years old) has ever been to the DR. We got a last minute deal of 10 nights for $900 (and heard that it went down by $100 a couple of days before we'd left!)

Let me start off by saying that Grand Paradise has the most beautiful beach that I have ever been to. We walked pretty far in both directions and it was, by far, the cleanest beach.

We arrived to the hotel at around 10 or 11pm at night and when we got to what we thought was the club section, the guy waiting in the lobby told everyone to go back on the bus and we were dropped off at the regular part. There were a few people on our bus who booked the club side too, and we were a bit confused as to why we were leaving the area. Some of us thought that maybe we'd have to check in at the main lobby and then we'd be brought back to the club section. When we got to the main area, we checked in and were brought to our rooms - not in the club section. My boyfriend went back and complained and the desk told him that the club section was full and that we could try back tomorrow.

The next morning my boyfriend went over bright and early and eventually we got checked in at 2pm at the club section. Unfortunately, a few of the people we met on the bus never ended up getting into the club section, even though they paid for it. Very unorganized and some of the counter people were not the friendliest to deal with. Be aware that you must be agressive to get what you want at this place.

However, once we got our new room, we almost forgot about the one night mess and were delighted to find the room that we had booked! The room was absolutely stunning and it was the nicest room I had ever stayed in down south. It was very clean, updated, and cold when we needed it to be. We tipped money and gifts every day but the maid still forgot to give us a new bottle of water from the 3rd day on. However, we just stole it off of her cart when she wasn't there ;)

The shows were the best I'd ever seen down there as well. Their dancing was amazing and they worked really hard to impress the crowd. We were cheering like crazy - I wish I could have said the same about some others who seemed to underapprectiate all of the time and effort they put into it.

The big restaurant in the club section was closed for the first 4 days that we were there and we very much enjoyed eating in the smaller restaurant (that is used as an a la carte). We got to know our waiters and the food was very fresh. When we ate in the bigger restaurants, we didn't get to know anyone and the service wasn't as good.

The beach restaurant always had lots of fresh food at lunch and we looked forward to the pizza and fries. The drinks were pretty good as well and we got to know a couple of the bar tenders as well. You know the drill - TIP!!!

Don't try using the internet! I think it was $5 American for half an hour and I used it right up without even being able to get past the home page.

The entertainers seemed friendly but we never got to know them. It's such a huge place and I'm used to going to the Puerto Plata resorts where we get to know them, but here, I think one girl asked us to play ping pong on our last day and that was it. They try - but again, this place is MASSIVE.

Overall, beautiful resort and plenty to be happy about. When stuff went wrong with the desk people, I just think about it as maybe they're having a bad day/week and we all have those right?

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Nova Scotia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2010

My boyfriend and I spent March 21st-28th 2010 at the club, this was my second time going down south as we went to Cuba last year.

Pros:
-Immaculately kept grounds, everywhere you went there was at least someone cleaning something, weeding the flower beds, picking up cups and it showed!
-SPOTLESS public bathrooms 9 chances out of 10. It was wonderful not to be afraid to touch things and have toilet paper and soap..etc.
-Friendly people, mostly
-Some staff were excellent, especially at the snack bar at the beach
-There is a train that runs from one end of the resort to the other
-Room was clean
-Food tasted good and was varied each day
-Beach was very nice, lots of beach to walk on and look at other resorts
-Weather was fantastic!
-Housekeeping would come by and tidy the room in the afternoon and then again after supper to change your towels and fold down the bed (put candies on the pillow too)
-Some of the staff spoke english, french and i think even german

Cons:
-The lay out is a bit confusing, the club has a separate entrance than the main lobby, they don't warn you about that till you're already confused. Also the map they give you is missing the main road through the resort so you sort of have to guess where you're going/on the correct route
-Poor english, if you go to a place like this and expect to be spoken to in perfect english all the time then down south is not the place for you, but we had problems checking in and ordering drinks! We asked for red wine, the very kind waiter very enthusiastically said "yes yes vino blanco" and despite our protests poured it for us..
-If you want good booze.. go on an excursion, or buy it from Bar Co. which is the only place to be served brand name booze/wine/mixed drinks. I'm not usually that picky but Cuba served us better wine and rum!
-Poor service, we were lucky to get water at the buffet with our meals at times! They were more attentive at the al la cartes but we ordered beer with the main course of our meal and it hadn't arrived by the completion of dessert so we just left!
-I found the al la carte seating cramped (both we went to), I mean it was the same layout for the buffets but I hoped for a little romance with the al la cartes and that was hard with people sitting less than 2 feet from you and you could hear their conversations!
-Constant harassment by guys in blue shirts, they were so constant that when someone at the beach from the rentals spoke to us we were shocked that he didn't want anything except to practice his french. Even the guys selling excursions would leave you alone after one "no thank-you" we had to decline and walk away and they were still talking/bothering us, I even saw one grab a woman's arm and try to drag her.
-The sunwing reps seemed eager to leave for the day, almost seemed like we inconvenienced them with our questions but they were mostly friendly
-We both got sick with diarrhea, unless you can't brush your teeth with the water (which i was under the impression you could) then i guess the food was the culprit. I was sicker than my boyfriend but luckily we brought cipro, neither of us has fully recovered yet. The food in cuba was bland but neither of us got sick!
-No air conditioning in our room, took two separate complaints to get it dealt with! It was warmer in our room than outside at night for the first 4 days, it didn't matter during the day because we were at the beach or pool but at night it was awful.
-Good luck finding a place in the shade by the pool or at the beach without getting up at 7am or earlier
-It is a really big place with the strange lay out so i wouldn't recommend the club for older folks who can't walk far, as it is further away from the beach and the train isn't reliable if you're in a hurry (we were late for our sunwing welcome because the train didn't come, we walked it and were 15 min late, before the train even got there). That was the only time we minded waiting though, I mean we were on vacation!

If i hadn't gotten sick, and if it hadn't been so frustrating to gesture and mime what we wanted to the staff and still not get what we asked for then i would've recommended it.

If you've already booked:
Be patient, don't be in a rush, expect to wait and and don't expect it to be easy, check in especially takes a lot of time.
If you want new towels throw them on the floor and they'll get changed
Bring Cipro or take dukoral or something of the sort
Pay for the safe, it's just piece of mind
If you want a spot in the shade, get up, throw your towels on a lounger where ever you want to be and go back to bed or go have breakfast, thats what everyone else seemed to do..
Take a day trip to the island of Saona, well worth the money!

A vacation is what you make it!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2010

This review is severely outdated but figured it may help a prospective traveller anyway. I really enjoyed this resort! the service was great from all staff. If you treat them with respect and not like they are your personal servants, they will treat you well in return.

Im sort of a picky eater and always found something to eat/snack on. Drinks were good too especially by the pool bar... not sure if Luis or Pablo are still they but they were wonderful!
The rooms in this section are newer and very nice inside.

The beach was lovely as well... yes, beach chairs go fast but if the resort is busy what do you expect? wake up earlier if you want a chair...

I will for sure come back to this resort. The nearby flea market was also nice-- warning, they are quite pushy but if you hold your ground and barter, you can get some good deals :)

• Stayed September 2008, traveled with friends

Been to Memories Splash Punta Cana? Share your experiences!