“Family Vacation” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Memories Splash Punta Cana

You added Memories Splash Punta Cana to your Saves list
Memories Splash Punta Cana
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playa Arena Gorda, Carr. Maca, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #19 of 102 Hotels in Punta Cana
Montreal, Canada
“Family Vacation”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2014

Perfect hotel for a family vacation. Rooms are clean, the staff is very nice, always ready to help you. Only kids 6 years and older can use the bigger waterslides, but there is a section for smaller kids. There are good shows at night, always different. A lot of activities around the pool too and there is always music. Regarding food, the buffet at Memories is very average, the food is cold However for breakfast, there is an egg/omelet station where the guy makes it in front of you. but you only have to go there for breakfast. There are other options for lunch and dinner. For lunch, you can go to the buffet (Trattoria) next to the beach at the Royalton and it's delicious. There is also a snack place where they have paninis and burgers. At night, there are many a-la-carte restaurants with no reservation required and unlimited access. Food is very good and there is always a kids menu. You have access to the Royalton a-la-carte restaurants but you have to pay 10$/kid and 15$/adult or buy wine. Alcohol at Memories is domestic only so not very good, but if you're going for a family vacation it's ok. The local beer is very good (Presidente). Of course, there is a guy running after you for the time share, but if you tell him nicely that you're not interested he will stop. Best service was from Rafael at la Trattoria.

Room Tip: a room close the the waterpark, that way you're also close to the Royalton
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
MauricioZarate, General Manager at Memories Splash Punta Cana, responded to this review, May 16, 2014
Dear Christina R.,

We would like to thank you personally for sharing on TripAdvisor your kind feedback about your stay at Memories Splash Punta Cana.

We appreciate to hear that we have been able to meet your expectations and that our location and facilities have contributed to a wonderful holiday in our hotel. It is a great pleasure to read how much you have enjoyed our resort.

We hope to have you back soon enjoying Memories Splash Punta Cana.

Royalton Punta Cana & Memories Splash

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (314)
  • Polish first
Halifax, NS
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2014

We stayed here March 14-21, 2014. My review is long – I’m all about the details!

We flew Sunwing and had no issues either direction. I had purchased out Tourist Cards online so once off the plane, we zipped right to the front to the line. We used a porter to help with our luggage and he ushered us out the airport in record time, no one bothered us at all. I had booked a private transfer with Gobecon and the van was waiting. Although the driver didn’t speak much English, he did his best to point out the sights along the way to the resort. We were the first to arrive at the resort and went right to the reception desk. There was a guest tearing a strip off the poor guy at the reception desk because no one told her not to drink the water from the tap and her daughter got sick (really? You need someone to tell you that?). For her “inconvenience” she expected to be upgraded to the Presidential Suite. Are you kidding me? The poor guy at the desk did a good job of weathering the abuse, and no, she did not get the Presidential Suite. I mention this only because sometimes people comment that the folks at reception are not very friendly, but after witnessing this exchange I would have to say it’s no wonder! Anyway, we were assigned a room right away! As soon as he gave me the room number I knew it was not what I had requested and not where I wanted to be, but I didn’t have the heart to complain after his previous encounter. I just looked at the bright side – I’ve never been able to get into a room at 10:30 in the morning before so it was a bonus!! A porter helped us with our luggage and made a point of showing us things along the way to our room. We were in building 2 which was not refurbished. The room was fine with the exception of 2 double beds when the websites (Memories and Sunwing) both said all rooms have 2 queen beds (or a king). Hubby is tall, so a bigger bed is important to me! The room was a good size for the 3 of us, nice large balcony with 2 chairs and a good sized bathroom with tub and shower. There was a walk in closet with lots of room to hang things and store suitcases, but there were only 3 small drawers in the dresser so it was not possible to unpack fully. Not a big deal. Air conditioning worked fine and we never had an issue with hot water. I thought the bed and pillow was comfortable, I know others have complained that they weren’t, but it is a personal taste thing. The room was cleaned everyday before noon and she did a good job. The fridge was refilled everyday as well. Always had lots of shampoo, lotion, etc. Electrical outlets were difficult to access so I was grateful I had brought a power bar with me. We had a nice balcony, lots of room. Two plastic chairs and a small table, but we brought out a wicker chair from the room because there were 3 of us.

The resort is big, but the trolley system is very efficient. We don’t mind walking, but we used the trolley a lot because it was easy! Never had to wait more than 3 or 4 minutes. The resort is extremely clean, never saw garbage lying around. The public washrooms that I used were all very clean, and some were also very well decorated (lobby). The employees are very friendly, some more so than others but I didn’t encounter anyone I would call rude. I was cautious who I spoke to however because I knew there were time share salespeople there and you can’t always tell who they are.

We went to the buffet every morning for breakfast. It was always good with lots of selection. I hardly ever saw empty trays, even at 10:00 the bacon was still full (I know that’s a frequent complaint for AI visitors so that’s why I mention it!). I had an omelet every morning. There are 2 omelet stations – the one at the far end by the wall, he can only cook 2 at a time so it takes a bit longer. The other station can cook 4 at a time so this line moves fast. The same chef was there every morning – he cooks omelets for 4 hours every morning and he was there 7 days straight – with a cheerful look on his face every day! I didn’t get his name, but I was very appreciative of his service. At the far end, there are jugs of fresh vegetable juices – carrot, beet, etc. Then there are fresh juices as well as juices in dispensers. Delicious! We only had lunch at the buffet once and while I would say it was uninspiring, we only ate there once so that’s really not enough to make an opinion on. We didn’t eat dinner there at all. We had lunch at Bites a couple of times, burgers, dogs and fries were all good. Real ground beef patties, not pre-fab frozen stuff. Same with the BBQ at the Royalton pool. We mostly had lunches at the Italian buffet on the beach. Good variety, burgers, roasted chicken, pasta, salads, pizza, soup, chili. This buffet is open until 6:00 everyday. We had dinner one evening at the Sports Bar at the Royalton. We were the ONLY people in there. You can order off the menu, things like chicken wings, nachos, wraps, etc. We had the nachos, which consisted of warm tortilla chips and 3 dips (salsa fresca, cheese sauce, and delicious guacamole!). We also had chicken wings which were very good and chicken “bites” which were pieces of whole chicken (not pressed meat) deep fried. All of this was very good. They had large TV’s broadcasting various sporting events and there was a pool table in there as well. The ice cream shoppe had vanilla soft serve as well as treats such as cupcakes and they also served small sandwiches. The coffee shop at the Royalton has the same sandwiches and treats, but they also had chocolate soft serve ice cream.

We ate at the Italian a la carte twice. There was no wait either time (arrived after 7:00pm). There are no appetizers on the menu, but they have an antipasto bar to serve yourself. The first night had cold cuts and cheeses, along with salads and soup. The second time there were no meats, but various marinated vegetables. If you sit close to the antipasto bar, you can watch the chef making pizzas and tossing them into the air  The waiter will bring an appetizer to your table (that you don’t order). The first night it was Caprese Salad and the second night it was bruschetta. The entrée options are pastas (mostly vegetarian) and pizzas/calzones. The first night my son and I had pasta and my husband had a calzone. We all enjoyed it and I would easily say the pasta was just as good or better than any other Italian restaurant I have eaten in. The portion was plenty for me but for a bigger eater you might find it is not enough. The second night we ordered a pizza to share between the 3 of us and then we each had a pasta dish. This was more than enough food. We had dessert as well, although I can’t remember what! The service was excellent. The only thing that disappointed me was the cappuccino. I was saddened to see the resort only has Nescafe machines instead of the delicious coffee that they grow in DR. But when I ordered a cappuccino at the Italian restaurant I was expecting to get real cappuccino. I took one sip and said to my son “It’s gas station cappuccino!” You know, that sickly sweet stuff that comes out of a machine? That became a running joke for the rest of the trip. After every meal my son would ask me if I was having gas station cappuccino!

The first time we tried to go to the Steakhouse (7:00) the wait was an hour so we didn’t stay. The next time I went at 7:15 and put our name on the list then went back to my room to get ready. We didn’t get our table until 8:45 but it was worth it. I ordered a salad first, then had the tenderloin along with a baked potato and vegetables. You have to order side dishes separately so I ordered both to get some veggies. I would suggest ordering a couple or several sides as the portions are small. Everything was delicious and it was probably the best steak I have ever had or at least in the top 3! For dessert we had what looked like a chocolate tower. It was pretty to look at but only so-so in flavor. A couple of interesting things happened while we were here. First, there were some dancers from the show that was scheduled for that night in the restaurant. They were sitting near us and we thought it was a little odd, until they got up and performed a dance and sort of serenaded a woman in the restaurant! I think it was her birthday and it was very sweet. Then later, a group of the servers and kitchen staff came into the restaurant and started signing and playing music on pots and things. They went around to each table and stopped for a few minutes to entertain. I don’t know what they were singing but it certainly appeared as if they were having lots of fun doing it! It was probably one of the coolest things I have ever seen!! I wish I had recorded it on my iphone, but I was so mesmerized by the whole thing I didn’t even think of it.

The Mexican restaurant was pretty good. The wait was about an hour to get in, we sat in the bellini bar just outside. I had the tacos al pastor for an appetizer and I was a little disappointed with this dish. We ate these in Mexico last year so I was excited to see them on the menu, but they were just OK. I had the chicken burrito which was pretty good and my husband had the fajitas, which I think were the better choice of the two. My son had a brownie for dessert – it seems all the a la cartes have the same brownie dessert on the menu! The service here was also very good.

The Seafood restaurant was just OK for me. But to clarify, I do not eat seafood. There was no wait to get in. The appetizers were all seafood with the exception of deep fried cheese sticks, which I had. I also had a tomato basil soup which was very good. My son had shrimp in a jacket and liked them. I can’t remember what my husband had, but he liked it as well. My husband also ordered a green salad with scallops, but it was a very small portion, maybe half a cup of greens with one and a half scallops! The entrée section is what confused me a bit. This is advertised as a “seafood restaurant” but there were very few choices for seafood entrees. My husband and son both had the seafood linguine which they both enjoyed. The only other seafood option was the catch of the day. The only menu item with lobster was the Diamond Dinner for Two which we didn’t want to order, so I asked the waiter if it was possible just to get a lobster tail for my son. He said no problem. When he brought the meals he actually had 3 lobster tails! I guess he assumed we each wanted one. In any case, my husband and son ate the 3 of them! I ordered a chicken dish for my main course and this was probably the only disappointing meal I had at the resort. There was nothing wrong with it and I ate it, but it was just kind of boring I guess. The roasted chicken at the beach buffet was actually better than this chicken. Desserts were good and service was very good.

Over all I have to say in all of our All Inclusive trips, these a la cartes were the best yet. And the service in all of the restaurants was exceptional, although maybe a bit slow for some peoples liking.

We spent our “pool time” at the quiet pool because it was right outside our building. Always chairs available (not always shade) and always clean towels available. Bar service was good, I’m not a big drinker and don’t really notice what kind of alcohol is in the drinks. There was one pool on either side of the bar. I also noticed that there seemed to be an employee standing off to the side watching the pool activity all day long. I don’t know if it was security or what the deal was, but it seemed a little odd. We didn’t go to the activity pool at all. Went to the Bellini Bar one night, drink was good but service was slow. My husband enjoyed the beach bar at the Royalton. He liked to sit there because it was shady. He was very pleased with the service from Luis. (I am not a name dropper and Luis certainly never asked to be mentioned but I feel that he is worth mentioning). He made my husband Caesar’s and kept my champagne glass filled 

We went to 2 evening shows at the Royalton. The Circus was very good, however it was held outside (due to the necessary equipment) and the problem is there was no place to sit. We had come from dinner and were dressed up so having to sit on the ground was a bit of a put off, not to mention uncomfortable. The performers were very talented. The other show we attended was the Magic Show. It was OK, but kind of lame.

The waterpark was awesome. This was one of the main reasons I choose this resort and it didn’t disappoint. The slides were great, the lifeguards take their jobs very seriously and we could always get 3 seats together. No line ups, no waiting for tubes, etc. The bar here only serves non-alcoholic drinks and there is a security guard at the entrance who will not let you in with alcohol (which is a great idea).

The beach was gorgeous. Very clean, no rocks or shells. Some days the water was calm other days it was fun jumping in the waves. On the wavy days there seemed to be more seaweed in the water close to the shore. There was a strong undertow as well so be careful. We didn’t see many fish, did some snorkeling further out and say a few but maybe we needed to go further. We always found 3 loungers together no matter what time of day, but rarely in the shade. There seemed to be some “chair saving” happening, but I think many times it was simply a case of people having left for the day and didn’t take their towels with them (there is no towel card, you can use as many as you like). A few times we saw employees clearing the towels off the chairs.

The Sunwing reps were around each day. I went to the welcome meeting the first day, I always like to do that and usually pick up a tidbit or two. I found it helpful and I did book an excursion – the Outback Safari half day (I tried to book PC Mike before I left but he was full). The 3 of us really enjoyed the trip and I would say my 11 year old learned more in those 4 hours than he would have in the 4 days of school he missed). We also did the free shopping tour. The van took us to a boutique called Nicole. There was jewelry on the main floor (I bought some Larimar earrings), cigars on the bottom floor (hubby bought some) and souvenirs on the top floor (DH bought some things). We were an hour and a half in the store – others have commented that this was too long, but for us it was perfect. Prices were reasonable and I was more comfortable with the quality of the jewelry. My only one complaint about the Sunwing rep was that I had told him the day before we left that we had booked a private transfer and would not be taking the bus in the morning. I even wrote my name and room number on his notepad. The next morning when we checked out the front desk told me that the bus has been waiting for us. I felt bad for the other passengers.

Room Tip: Not all rooms have queen or king beds as advertised.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Dear Haligonian08,

Firstly, we would like to thank you for spending your time sharing your experience at Memories Splash Punta Cana and thanks for giving us the esteemed opportunity of serving you during your stay in Punta Cana.

We would like to express our gratitude for your nice comments you made about your stay. It is always great to receive positive feedback on numerous aspects of the hotel, service and installations. It will be a pleasure to share them with the rest of the team.

We will be delighted to attend you in future if you come back to Punta Cana. We would like to see you again in our hotel Memories Splash Punta Cana as soon as possible.

Kind regards,

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2014

This has been the best vacation ever!!! I highly recommend. It is a new resort, its only been open for six months. The staff that work there are all friendly and amazing. They are always happy, and welcoming. They will help you with any questions or concerns you have. The place is very very clean always. The cleaning service is great, they do a wonderful job. The food is always fresh and there is so much to choose from with the different restaurants. I never once had a bad meal!!!! The drinks are good as well. The pools, the beach and hot tubes were always clean, nice and relaxing. It was awesome! The entrainment and activities were great, they had traditional games that are always in the hotels but they had new ones too! At night time the shows were awesome, always a great night! They have awesome snack, coffee and ice cream shops! They snacks are fresh and good always. They have many shops in the resort, so theres no need to travel outside and the prices are good! They have a child club for parents that want some time alone, they have awesome indoor and outdoor activities. They have a teen clubs as well, they have amazing games for the teens to do, the staff Richard is really amazing with the teens! Very friendly and great with them. The best part is the water park! Its amazing for adults and children! The staff Cristian is really wonderful with the children, the park is so much fun! It is something new and different from other resorts. It was a nice getaway from the pool and beach. The room and bed was nice, the best was amazing to sleep in, the pillows were so comfortable! I will definitely go back there again!!!!!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
MauricioZarate, General Manager at Memories Splash Punta Cana, responded to this review, May 15, 2014
Dear VanessaRosa2014,

Firstly, the entire team of Royalton Punta Cana wants to thank you for sharing your positive experience with the rest of the TripAdvisor community.

We are really happy to read words as nice as yours. To know that our staff and service have exceeded your expectations encourages us to keep working day by day to maintain this proposal of high level that we want to achieve.

We will be glad to welcome you back again. We are at your disposal for anything you need.

New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

2 resorts in one. You'll have access to Memories as well as the Royalton Punta Cana. Both resorts are very clean and have a modern look to them. The room is clean and has everything you need for the time you stay in the room. The service in the resort is quick and friendly. The pools are top notch but the beach is very short and while we were there a little rough. The food in the buffet was delicious and the buffet area itself was very nice and clean. They have a coffee/ice cream shop at the royalton side of the resort that makes amazing coffee. The water park is on the splash side and is very fun. The are a handful of slides which will keep you entertained for a while. The beach is a 5-10 min ride away from the splash area, or you can enjoy a little walk and check out all the resort has to offer. Overall its a very nice resort and would recommend to everyone

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Dear kamil n.,

We hope to have you back soon enjoying Memories Splash Punta Cana.

Deer Lake, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

Myself and my family of 4 traveled to Memories splash during the week of April.30th-May.7th 2014. Upon arrival we were served pretty blue welcome drinks, and had a very smooth check in. There are many plus sides of this resort especailly for families with young children. The water park was great, and there never seemed to be any line ups for any of the slides the park includes a wave pool, and a smaller area with mini water slides for the smaller children.

Rooms: are up to date, our made was quite sufficient in keeping our room clean, beds were quite comfortable compared to other typical beds at other resorts in Punta Cana.

Food: I am quite the picky eater and I always found something to eat at this resort. The snack bar that is open daily has great food if you want to grab something quick and sit by the pool and eat its great! All restaurants were great and no reservations are required before hand to eat at any of them. ( unless you wish to eat at the Royalton, where a previous reservation is required and so is a fee of $15 each, although this is not necessary to get a good meal!) The soft serve ice cream is awesome here, we ate at least one everyday.

Pools:
Pools are gorgeous, and kept clean, you could always find chairs at any time of the day, it was not a problem, we had Victor at the swim up bar at the main pool for our main bartender for the week, he was super friendly, Always had a smile, and could do some pretty cool tricks for the record, defiantly a crowd pleaser, the kids loved him. We didn`t spend much time at the other pools, however they were also kept clean and lots of free chairs. The entertainment happens at the main pool so that`s where we spent most of our time.

Beach:
The beach was gorgeous, kept clean, lots of empty chairs no matter what part of the day. A few people go around selling different things, if you tell them you are not interested, they will kindly leave you alone, I had my hair braided by a nice woman named Lucy, she did a wonderful job.

last but not least the best part of my vacation. Entertainment/ Animation Team:

After my experience at Majestic Colonial where we stayed 2 years ago, I was convinced that I would never meet such wonderful people again at a different resort, however I was wrong! The animation members at this resort are phenomenal to say the least. The activities we took part in were water aerobics , dance lessons , yoga , water polo etc. We also took in nightly entertainment shows which were great. The best part of our vacation was meeting our new friends of the animation team, Mary, Jessy, & Jordan. These 3 hardworking dedicated beautiful workers really know how to make your vacation excellent! They pretty much spend all day everyday of your vacation with you, along side from the activities. They are amazing friends, they are everywhere; at the pool, theatre, Royalton Plaza, and they even follow to the disco to dance with you. Their personalities and qualities are very beneficial to this hotel, they speak to everyone,get you to laugh, and they are more than happy to take a picture with you. They make you feel like family, and it will break your heart when you have to say goodbye to them on your last day. We cannot wait to spend another 7 days with them on our next vacation. A very special thanks to Mary, Jessy, & Jordon for their hard work and extreme kindness, these 3 workers will not disappoint! Please make sure you take the time to take part in their activities, they will make your vacation the best one yet! Also a big shout out to Francis from the Royalton Animation team, she was also so pleasant and we loved her company!

Room Tip: pool view :), but all rooms are nice!
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Dear brittastic,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience at Memories Splash Punta Cana not only for your wonderful comments that you have had about our team, but also for taking the time to share your positive experience with the rest of the TripAdvisor community.

We are really glad to hear your comments about the impression of our hotel. Reading your comments help us to know that our decisions are in the good way to give our guests the best possible experience. Your comments about the attitude of the staff will be shared with the objective to motivate to continue with the best quality and guest satisfaction.

We hope you visit us again and of course we will be very pleased to welcome you.
Best greetings,

Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

Within thirty minutes of the airport of Punta Cana, the setting is really fantactic. Beaches of more than 7 kms on the left and many more on the right, the color of the water is like expected. The quality of the food is of high quality everywhere especially at the buffet and the Under the sea restaurant.The possibility of eating at the Grazie restaurant of the sister hotel Royalton is a big plus for those who want to stay on the beach at lunch time. Moreover for $15 you can have access to the Royalton restaurants. The Water Park is very fun for everybody. Great value. We just want more choice for local wine and real coffee machines but we were very close to Paradise. Thanks to Juan , Maiximo, Jourdain for your smiles and enthusiasm.

La localisation et l'aménagement sont vraiment de premier plan. La qualité du buffet est très bonne. Le restaurant Under the sea est d'un design et d'une carte supérieurs. Le buffet est toujours bien varié. Merci à Juan, Maximo et les autres pour l'accueil enthousiaste. On aurait aimé un peu de variété pour le vin local. Jourdain à l'animation est formidable et joue bien son rôle de rassembleur et d'informateur. Le lien avec le Royalton avec le réseau de petits trains et la possibilité de manger le midi au Grazie donc de rester à la plage est très apprécié. Les spectacles le soir sont de niveau et l'option d'accès au réseau de restaurants du Royalton moyennant $15 élargit le bassin de façon intéressante. Seul petit bémol: la mainmise des machines Nescafé sur la fabrication des cafés. On s'ennuie vite des machines italiennes. En bref, un magnifique séjour, très près du Paradis.

Room Tip: Choosing higher floors could avoid sewage odors (though it is unfrequent).
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Gilles C.,

First of all, thank you so much for selecting Memories Splash Punta Cana for your holidays, it is a big pleasure to read this wonderful opinion about our hotel. And of course, thanks for sharing it on Trip Advisor.

We are very proud to know that your last experience at Memories Splash Punta Cana exceeded your expectations. As you know our principal goal is to give you our best service, make your vacation exclusive and unforgettable. Your comments will help us with our continuing effort to assure our Guest Satisfaction.

We hope you visit us again next year. We will be very pleased to welcome you.

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

We chose this resort for our family vacation in April of this year. I must say that this is probably one of the best resort I have been to. Definitely a must if you have young kids. The waterpark, kids club, nightly shows etc. will keep your kids busy and enterained while you grab some much needed rest. If you choose to go, please look for Juan Pineda. He works in Selections most of the time, and he was probably the best employee I have come across in my resort experience. Easily an ambassador for the service at this resort!

Room Tip: Try to ask for the newer buildings
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Dear Harpreet S.,

Firstly, the entire team of Memories Splash Punta Cana wants to thank you for sharing your positive experience with the rest of the TripAdvisor community.

Royalton Punta Cana & Memories Splash

Been to Memories Splash Punta Cana? Share your experiences!