“Exhale you are at BREATHLESS!!!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Breathless Punta Cana Resort & Spa

Save Saved
You added Breathless Punta Cana Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Breathless Punta Cana Resort & Spa
4.5 of 5 Resort   |   Playas Uvero Alto km 275, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
HOT HOT HOT Savings!
Ranked #45 of 100 hotels in Punta Cana
New Orleans, Louisiana
“Exhale you are at BREATHLESS!!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2014

To give you a reference point for my opinions, my husband & I are avid travellers of the Caribbean. Annually, we visit 2 or 3 different AI vacation destinations.
Ugh…arriving at PUJ airport is similar to the violation you endure in Cancun & various others time-share laden areas. As always, don’t stop for hecklers, just head out to your transportation.
Arriving at Breathless ~3, our check-in was seamless. Sign a few items then we were brought by golf cart straight to our room, within less than 20 minutes of arrival.
Rooms- Great brand new resort, thus room was lovely. Bed extremely comfortable. Very large rainforest shower, whirl pool tub on the balcony, stocked bar fridge – life is good!! Cleaning staff was fabulous.
Pools were magnificent & plentiful. Several small lazy river-style pools & a few larger pools. 2 Swim-up bars, one for the rowdy folks and one for the more subdued guests.
Food - My husband is quiet particular when it comes to food but was pleased with the Strip Grill for dinner. We also tried the French restaurant which was good as well. We did not try the others. Surprisingly, the buffet was generally our best bet for dinner. There was a meat carving station, a grilling area & pasta chef…thus if you cannot find something there, then there is probably no satisfying you.
I have been to several brand new resorts openings (of the same rating) & by far Breathless surpasses them all.
Staff is Magnifico! Names we recall, Maria in the After Dark bar & Igor at Deep Swim Up bar. Having said that everyone we encountered was great.
Nightly entertainment was very good. We also used the tennis courts a couple of mornings, very nice too.
Summary, Resort is glorious, staff is fabulous, setting very nice (slight immature vegetation), beach is wonderful and food is quite good for an AI. What are you waiting for – enjoy life today, as you are not guaranteed tomorrow!! 

Room Tip: We liked ground floor room, although no privacy in the whirlpool tub on the balcony.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Breathless E, E-Concierge at Breathless Punta Cana Resort & Spa, responded to this review, January 20, 2014
Dear Leeann D,

Thank you so much for your wonderful comments! We are happy to know that you had such a great time! We will keep improving, so we can deliver an even better service, we hope to welcome you back anytime to experience the enhancements!

Sunny regards,

1,119 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (412)
  • Polish first
Fairfield, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2014

This was our 12th visit to the Dominican Republic so we have a lot of resorts to compare Breathless to. Breathless "could be" a great resort but at this point in time it's not, and I will give reasons why.
First the good points. The hotel is huge (750 rooms) and laid out beautifully. The many pools meander around the well manicured grounds that are constantly being tended to. The help are "magnifico", a word that is used consistantly by the hotel employees. Some of the staff that were extremely impressive, helpful, and sincere were Alexandra Castillo and Aquilino Quesada a beach waitress and waiter, also Martina a waitress from the beach buffet. Thank you three for making our stay special. Everyone who worked at the hotel was more than willing to help us with whatever we needed. These are the people who will make Breathless a great resort in the future. I hope the management gets it right because I say again Breathless "could be" a great resort.
The entertainment was fantastic 3 of the 7 nights we stayed, the other 4 nights it was ok at best. The house band and the "Wink Lobby Bar" band were outstanding. The maid staff was great, our room was spotless (although our room was not cleaned one day by 5:00pm), A call to the front desk was all it took to have a maid show up in ten minutes, and she did a great job.
Now for my biggest complaint (and what I consider a deal breaker) THE FOOD WAS HORRIBLE!!! We know Dominican food is not prepared like food in the USA and we are ok with that, but this food boarders inedible. It is of poor quality and not prepared well. At the Sofrito Latin Restuarant I found a piece of wire (apperantly used to tie vegtables) mixed in with the food on my plate! At the Silk City habatchi restuarant the chicken and beef was full of fat and grizzle and very tough and chewy. At the Silk City al a carte the food was extrmely greasy. Any restuarant I ate beef at it was terrible. I only ate because I had to not because I enjoyed it. I could go on and on but you get the point.
I would return to Breathless but not in the immdiate future. Management needs to work out some of the problems first. I'm sure they will but it's going to take time.

city

Dear Ricardo Anita D,

Thank you so much for your review. On one side, we are happy you liked our resort layout, rooms, entertainment and the friendly service from our Team. On the other side, we regret we were not able to fulfill your expectations in regards to our food service. Please know that we are carrying out some enhancements in our food offer, and we will certainly have your remarks on account, so we can exceed expectations on this area. Thank you again, and we hope to welcome you back!

Warm regards,

Surrey, BC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2014

We recently got back from a trip to Breathless. We won the trip with 42 others through "The Beat" Radio Station. We loved the property, the rooms and the beach is phenomenal. If you like to party then the pool is for you, as they have pool parties daily at 4PM. If you want to enjoy the georgeous weather, then head to the beach. We had so much fun playing in the waves and body surfing. The resort is new, so no complaints with the rooms. I thought most of the staff were friendly and helpful. When we first got there, we were not sure where our room was. I happened to ask a member of the ETeam named Oscar and he took us to our room. Totally not his job. We also thought that Claire from Scotland was so friendly, as she spent 2 hrs with us one night chatting about her life there on the resort. Pedro is a bundle of energy, he is fun and funny.
On the beach they have really good bar service and Rosa was great. I have to say, I would give the food only a 6 out of 10, as most of the food is on the cold side. It's so nice not to have to reserve a restaurant. On the flip side, you may have to wait for 1.5 hr to get seated. I loved Spumante the best. The buffet is really good. The servers all all friendly. I saw the Boss man on the premises quite a bit, so that helped keep everything very professional. At lunch we enjoyed Freddy at the Barefoot grill. Great quick casual service.
There are plenty of pools. Both noisy fun pools and lots of quiet, private pools.
I got a great massage "off" premises next door from Salsia. 45.00 for 1 hr. I had to negotiate for this, and then I gave her a $5.00 tip. I also bought Larimar Jewellry at the hut next door. Also bartered with Louis.
If you are a dog lover, please support the German woman at the Tropical Treasure shop. She has a nice souvenier shop, prices are fixed. It's where the Palm tree grows over the beach, you cannot miss it. She looks after all the beach dogs, and pays out of her pocket to get them fixed and feeds them all.
We had a few negative moments. One of the security guards, called my husband back as we were walking back to room after breakfast and asked us for money. He said his wife was pregnant and needed money. We saw this same guard hanging around the change house on the beach and would get the beach servers to bring him booze drinks and he would duck in the change house and drink. He had quite a few empty glasses in there. I also witnessed a "head maid" go into rooms, collect the tips and walk out without doing the cleaning. Just going in and taking the tips off the dresser. So you may want to give the money straight to your own maid. The 3rd weird thing was we had no cold water one day. We called down and they sent someone up right away. All the guy had to do was go in the hall and turn on the cold water. My husband thought they also do this on purpose to get tips.
We didn't get room service, but I heard it was slow.
A great thing throughout the resort is that you can call back to Canada, USA and Puerto Rico for FREE. Also free wifi throughout the resort, although it is hit and miss at times. I never experienced this before, but what a great feature to have.
I have to say The Beat crew was awesome to hang out with everyday. They are all so friendly. Jonny, Holly, Amy and Nira, as well as Larky, Tracey and Leah. They have fun off and on the air. They are not snobbish at all. They organized such a fun time.
It is very humid there, so nothing every gets dry, clothes, sheets or hair. They have good hairdryers in the rooms. Bathrooms also have bidets. Good showers and a Hot tub on everyones balcony.

Room Tip: We stayed in building 2 facing the back of the building. You still get a pool and palm tree view, yo...
Dear beachbabySurrey_BC,

Many thanks for your review. We are glad that you had a great stay overall, and you found our services and facilities of your satisfaction. We are really sorry about the situations involving some members of our staff. It is not our standard in any way; as you know, we have followed up on your report, so we may avoid a similar situation in the future. We appreciate that you did not let those issues to affect your general perception of our resort. We look forward to welcome you back, and we remain at your disposal anytime.

Kindly,

5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2014 via mobile

My wife and I stayed at the Breathless Punta Cana Resort & Spa January 10th thru 20th and enjoyed every minute! We loved the tour of Santo Domingo, the incredible history, Presidential Palace (pictures with the guards). The entertainment begins each evening with Carlos on Saxophone and the Piano Man, Wow! Music to please everyone, Glen Miller to The Eagles and beyond! This Duo is fantastic and a definite crowd pleaser! I can't wait for a return visit!

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Breathless E, E-Concierge at Breathless Punta Cana Resort & Spa, responded to this review, January 23, 2014
Dear Al K,

Many thanks for taking the time to review those aspects of your stay. We are happy that you enjoyed your vacation with us, and that you got to know part of our beautiful Dominican Republic! We also love that you enjoyed the great music we offer at our Wink Bar; we will recognize them on your behalf.

Thank you so much, we can’t wait to welcome you back!

Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2014

We travelled to the resort over New Year's. We had a really good time with a few hiccups. We were in an exhale swim up room. The room we loved, the location was perfect (4142). It was near the end of the lazy river that led to the small exhale pool that was beachfront. So we had a beautiful view of the pool and ocean. Was great using the jacuzzi with that view. Loved being able to go right into the pool from our room, also just hop over the little bridge and into the exhale club for a drink or to speak to a concierge.
The staff at the exhale club were great and helpful, and the stripgrill for a la carte breakfast and dinner were good but that was the only bonus we saw from the upgrade (except the room location). The butler service was for us a joke. ( others had butlers they were happy with). We arrived on a friday and didn't meet our butler until Monday. He was very apologetic for not introducing himself earlier but everything he said he would do for us never happened ( extra beer in room everyday and a bottle of red wine everyday). Also I asked him to arrange a late checkout for when we left, didn't happen. And our last night asked him in the morning to book us into a dinner at the Zoetry. By 5 pm we had made other reservations at an outside seafood restaurant (jellyfish) with Patricia when he saw me and said oh! That dinner tonight isn't going to happen, maybe another night? (He was well aware we were leaving the next day. He told us that night to make up for it he would bring flowers and champagne to the room and draw the jacuzzi. Didn't happen. We were just laughing about it at this point. Also never got the exhale room service menu after asking for it 5 days in a row and being told it would be sent to the room. Room service was hit or miss, one night not arriving at all, next night took 2.5 hrs, the next few times were all under an hour.
But these things were pretty minor because we were having a great time enjoying the sun, the beautiful beach, great pools, and the nicest staff I've ever seen at an all inclusive resort.
The spa was great. I had an excellent mani/pedi and Chad had a great massage.
Food was pretty good, drinks were good. The only negatives were that I'm a wine drinker and there is only one red wine to drink and didn't really like it, you can only order other wine ($) during a few hours in the evening from the wine bar. And they won't send a bottle to the room with room service unless you pay extra and it's not very good. The cava was good on the other hand!

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Kendra M,

Thank you so much for reviewing our resort. It’s great that you enjoyed your room, the location and beautiful view. On the other hand, we deeply apologize for the issues regarding the Butler service and room service. We encourage our Guests to report any inconvenience while they are with us, so we may take immediate steps to correct the situation. Please be sure that your remarks have been shared with the Managers of the involved departments, to address the situation with our Team. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back, please do contact us directly whenever you consider visiting us again. We will make sure our service will be spotless, and that you enjoy a totally wonderful time.

Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2014

We were very excited to check in at the new property in Punta Cana for 12 days. Something about a new Hotel that makes you curious, and wanting the feeling of brand new towels, bed sheets, pillows, clean bathroom. We had a Master Suite Ocean Front that cost an arm and a leg. Being that we were in this suite, we had hoped that we would get our money's worth with better service. We were wrong. The check in was very smooth, we got to our room by 4 to 5 pm and we decided to just unpack and order room service and get to bed early for a big first day on the beach. Placing the order for room service was like calling a foreign country and trying to sell them something. The had no idea what we wanted to order and after travelling the whole day it was not what we wanted to get into. The food took over an hour to get to us and when it did it was cold, and the order was all wrong. When staying at other high end resorts or staying in an upgraded Master suite you would think that the service would be faster and more attentive to our wants and needs. We went to bed and hoped that this would not be an indication of what our trip was going to end up like.

Next enter Hector the Butler! Thank our lucky stars that he came into our life. From that morning on, Hector went above and beyond to make our stay a very special and merle one. He helped us every step of the way throughout our full 12 day stay. Even when we was supposed to be off, he would stay and work just to make sure we were happy. This guy should be a Butler Manager so he can show how it should be done.

Other notable staff was another Hector, this time at the beach waiter by the "Barefoot Grill" It must be something with the Hector's because this guy didn't know what to do next for us! He greeted us every morning and remember our special drinks and the special way that we wanted them served. Also at the "Barefoot Grill" Martin the cook and Freddy the cook, they both had smiles from ear to ear and wanted to serve and help us everyday.

From the E team, Leo was extremely friendly and got us to participate in events.

Julio the manager at the sushi restaurant, Jimmy the French chief came to every tablet to introduce himself and make sure you loved your food. Franklin at the exhale bar, always made us feel welcome.

In closing I would strongly encourage travellers to tip the hard working staff to show your appreciation.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Breathless E, E-Concierge at Breathless Punta Cana Resort & Spa, responded to this review, January 18, 2014
Dear LuisMiguelJr,

Thank you so much for your review. We are really sorry for the inconvenience on your arrival, we are glad that Hector, along with other members of our Team, was able to change your impression of our service. We are working every day to improve our services; hopefully, we can exceed your expectations next time!

Warm regards,

Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2014

My husband and I spent a week at Breathless for our so-called "baby moon" and loved every minute. The room was brand new and very clean and open with a view of the pool and ocean. The staff was extremely accomodating and friendly. We enjoyed the New Year's Eve party especially and will hopefully be going back again. Highly recommend!

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Natalia S,

Thank you so much for staying with us on your “baby moon” and for your wonderful review! We are happy you had a great time and enjoyed our especial program for New Year’s Eve! Please do not hesitate to contact us directly for any assistance you may need in regards to your next stay, it will be a pleasure to help.

Kindly,

econcierge.brepc@breathlessresorts.com

Been to Breathless Punta Cana Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!