“An amazing view-hermosa vista” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Alsol Luxury Village

Save Saved
You added Alsol Luxury Village to your Saves list
Alsol Luxury Village
Cap Cana, Punta Cana 23302, Dominican Republic (Formerly Marina Sands Luxury All Inclusive Beach Resort)   |
Ranked #19 of 101 hotels in Punta Cana
Miami, Florida, United States
“An amazing view-hermosa vista”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013 via mobile

Really great location, beautiful view, the beach is wonderful; however, needs to improve in activities, shows, there is sometimes there is nothing to do besides staying in the pool or beach. I would recommended for couples:)

• Stayed April 2013

545 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

My wife and I booked this last minute. We knew exactly what we were getting as we read the reviews here first.

Overall 5/5 - This is a beautiful resort. The concept of Venetian village is pretty cool. As has been mentioned all but 3 of the storefronts are empty. Even with that, the place is still spectacular. The pools are beautiful. The beach is not attached. It's across the marina, a 5 minute boat ride away. It is a private beach, no one bothered us the entire time we used it. No water sports, but for us it wasn't an issue. A few more umbrellas might have been nice.

Rooms 5/5 - We were upgrade to a 1 bedroom walkout apartment that was spectacular. Huge! I would live in it full time. Nice furnishings, Modern kitchen with granite counters and stainless steel appliances. Bathroom was really nice with separate jacuzzi tub and shower as well as double sinks. The bedroom was huge with a full walk in closet with custom wood organizers. Two big furnished patios (one off the bedroom and the other off of the living room) finished off the unit. Seriously, there was not a single thing to fault here.

Service 5/5 - I'm not sure what happened to some of the people who wrote reviews here complaining about the service. It was as good as any place we have been. Virtually everyone but the maid spoke enough English so that I was understood. The wait staff and bar tenders were fluent and very friendly.

Food 4.5/5 - There is a buffet restaurant that serves breakfast / brunch and supper. It does the proteins (meat/fish etc) made to order for supper. Most nights also included a pasta bar with 3 or 4 sauces and 2 types of pasta. The food was pretty good for buffet and the fact that your main was made to order if you wished was pretty cool. Late lunch was at the Malibu Grill, poolside. The food here was very good. Try the snapper! The a la carte restaurant (Bistro) needs reservations though it's never a problem getting in. The food was very good to excellent. The whole grilled Grouper was incredible. (I ate a lot of fish over the week lol). The beach had a restaurant/bar with a limited menu for Marina Sands guests. Cappuccino restaurant was also on the other side of the Marina near the beach. You could go once during your week stay. The resort paid for the cab both ways. Again a limited menu. The food was good but there wasn't any sort of dress code. People were eating dinner in shorts and t shirts etc. We were a bit surprised because the location and views were spectacular and didn't seem to match some people's dress code.. Keep in mind that the restaurant serves the non resort side of the Marina where people rent / own places.

Location 4/5 - This is really the only downside to this resort. It is not on a bus route so if you want to go into town to the mall it is a 40 dollar cab ride each way. The resort does offer a shuttle to the mall on Wednesday afternoons. We arrived and left on a Wednesday so never partook in it. The resort is in an exclusive gated community.

Some people have commented / complained about the lack of people. It's true that there aren't a lot of people around. At the Yoga Bar pool, the most we saw was probably 15 or so. At dinner maybe 20 at a time. Having said that, I met a guy from another resort when we were on an excursion. He told me his wife had to get up at 0530 AM every morning to go save their chairs. I laughed when I told him that when we walked out to the pool at 9 or 9:30 we were the first people there with not a single saved chair in sight. We moved around to different areas depending on our sun wants and needs. Never a problem getting chairs. So if you want busy with people on your left and right and having to get up early to save a chair, this might not be the place for you. If on the other hand you don't mind having the place to yourself and never having to wait in line for food or drinks or a chair, give this place a chance. You won't be disappointed.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Raleigh, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

The hotel staff was extremely friendly and by the end of the trip everyone my name and all of my friends names! The rooms were very nice, over looking the swimming pools and could even see the ocean from my balcony window. Large comfortable spacious rooms even though the beds weren't the most comfortable. There were a few different spots to eat, some places were better than others depending on the chefs and where you went. The food overall was ok to good, although I wish I could have had more authentic Dominican food while at the resort. Overall experience was great and I would recommend this place anytime!

Room Tip: balcony room views on the top most floors are the best! You can see everything!
Raleigh, North Carolina, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

I had a GREAT time on my SB trip to Punta Cana. I went with 4 of my close girlfriends, we did the all-inclusive deal through Lifestyles, and we had 2 rooms. The rooms were breath taking with breath taking views. Both had kitchens (one bigger than the other) and the bathrooms both had garden bathtubs and a a shower w/ half frosted/ 1/2 regular glass; same goes for the toilet area (SO more than one person could utilize the bathroom if they felt comfortable). This layout was great for our group. one room had a normal bed and a bed in connected to the couch (not really a pull out couch though) and the other room had 1 bed in its own room, while the rest of the hotel was suit style. When we arrived we were greeted with freshly squeezed juice and we, along with out luggage, were driven by golf cart to our rooms. The driver brought ALL 5 of our huge suit cases to our room. He carried all of them up 4 flight of stairs b/c the elevator wasn't working at the time (we had no problems with the elevator after that though).
We ate breakfast everyday at the lobby restaurant. I wasn't too impressed with the breakfast. I ate fruit mostly. For lunch we ate almost every day at the Malibu grill (if we weren't off doing an excursion), which was very tasty! I HIGHLY recommend their fried calamari & spaghetti. I literally had the calamari every single day! The service was great and EVERYONE wanted to serve you! Oh their ice cream was really good too! For dinner, the majority of the nights we ate at the lobby restaurant. The BEST night was the last night we were their. They had lamb, chicken, steak, shrimp, mussels, etc. and the dessert was the BEST that night (a lot more options then previous nights). When we weren't eating at the lobby restaurant we went to The Bistro or Cappuccino one night for dinner. At the bistro I ordered shrimp linguini which was VERY salty. The shrimp was good though. I then ordered a brownie and ice cream dessert which was very good! The service was EXCELLENT!!! At the Cappuccino I ordered lasagna which was very good, BUT the service was not that great and I didn't like the lighting. It was pretty much dark!
Each night after dinner we hung out at the Bistro where there was always live music. Harlen, I guess he is the resorts entertainment, sang every night and he has a BEAUTIFUL voice!!! He was very humble and sweet and really made the guests welcome. I must admit overall on this trip their weren't many people at the resort, but that made it more relaxing, so this place is NOT for the party crowd at all! So the Bistro was a bit bare, but we had a good time each and every time we went. One night there was BINGO and karaoke, which was a blast! That was the busiest night.
Some of the downfalls about staying at the Marina Sands was the water was just warm. I like my water steaming when I take showers/baths, so this was kind of disappointing. Also there were 4 holes in ceiling inside our shower, which looked like they were spaced well enough for eyes to look through. I looked up in there and I saw that there was a light on, which made this VERY creepy. We plugged the holes with toilet paper and looked for more holes, but didn't find any. Also, the beds were VERY hard, which made it difficult to sleep the first couple nights, but then I got use to it. Lastly, when we first arrived at the resort there was hardly anyone there (which isn't bad) and the service was GREAT, but as soon as it got a bit busy the service did decline a but. We had to wait forever one day for water and we just could DEF. tell a big difference. Oh and we didn't have to pay until we were leaving which I thought was a bit odd, BUT they price to stay there was great (since we went through Lifestyles).
Overall our experience staying here was a good one and I would DEF. go back! Ruddy the reception manager, was EXTREMELY friendly and whatever we needed, he made it happen! He was the BEST!!!

Raleigh, North Carolina, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

When we arrived in our taxi I was struck by the beauty of the property. The resort was on one side of the marina but there was a lot of construction going on around which was an eyesore. We were met at the lobby with delicious fresh juice (non-alcoholic). After we checked in our luggage was loaded for us and we were driven to our rooms via a golf cart. On the way to the room we were given a tour of the property. It was truly beautiful- so beautiful we were curious why there were so few people. In the end that did not end up being a problem as we got excellent service everywhere we went. The setting was very romantic and felt like a private paradise. I went with a group of girl friends but I would definitely return for a trip with my husband. The rooms were awesome- large, spacious and well decorated. We also had a lovely view from our balcony of one of the pools. We had a few minor issues with our room- the air condition in one of the rooms was not doing very well to cool the room, the fan in the bedroom was very squeaky and there were some holes in the ceiling of the shower. We also had a very hard time getting face rags and towels. I don't know why because we had many hand towels. We brought our own beach towels so we didn't have a deal with that side of things. Overall I was very satisfied with the rooms. The housekeepers did an excellent job cleaning. The staff as a whole were great. Everyone was more than happy to help us in any way that they could. I have yet to be to a place were the employees are so welcoming. That made a huge impact with me. Despite my lack of spanish I was still able to communicate quite well with most of the workers. Although some of them had limited english. The meals were okay. I feel like they would have been much better if there were more people there (in order to keep the food available hot as their heating system was not very efficient). The presentation of the food was amazing as well and they seemed to have actual chefs on demand to cook for you. They had a nice selection of meats and fish that they would cook. We never had any issue getting anything cooked for us. Breakfast was pretty good too. I got a fresh made to order omelet every morning and they always had a nice selection of fresh fruits. They definitely have some work to do in the food department but I think in whole it was much better than I had assumed it would be. I wish they would have labeled items in the buffet. All the dishes that were set out I had NO clue what they could be. I think I would have been willing to try more if I would have known what they were. I really enjoyed our dinner at the bistro. The food was excellent as was the service. We also enjoyed many nights on the porch for some entertainment. Much of the entertainment suffered because there was not many people to participate (karaoke, bingo, etc). We took a dance class which was more entertaining than instructional but I still enjoyed it. I didn't enjoy the Cappuccino. We took a taxi over (which the hotel paid for) and it was right off the water. Scenery was spectacular but the service was pretty poor. For some reason it took probably 20 minutes for us to get our waters refilled. Wouldn't recommend this place. All of the above food and all of our drinks (alcoholic and non) were covered with our all inclusive package which was nice. We took the water taxi to the beach. It was almost empty BUT that is how I prefer a beach to be. We didn't have to fight for a seat and we weren't bothered at all by anyone else. There was a bar/grill down there but we did not eat there. We ordered a few drinks and chatted with the workers a bit though. The beach was a nice beach- very pretty. It was clean and you had access to a clean bathroom. We went on a few excursion which the hotel facilitated each time. They even set up an excursion for us to a ranch- it was very kind and thoughtful of them! Overall it was one of the best trips I have had- especially for the price we paid. It was a steal! I look forward to visiting this resort again and sharing this place with my family!

East Lansing, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

I stayed at Marina Sands in late February. I was overwhelmed at the beauty and layout of the place. Rooms and pools very beautiful. Very large campus. But service sucked.

I am a member of Lifestyle Holiday Resort Club and stay a lot there in Puerto Plata DR. There the service is 5 star. I have learned Lifestyle will be taking over management of Marina Sands in near future. I can't wait to go back to this beautiful magnificent resort when I know Lifestyle is running it.

• Stayed February 2013
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

Marina Sands aka "Fishing Lodge" aspires to greatness but at this time falls short of delivering. It's located in a beautiful spot and the still unoccupied myriad of shops located on charming winding cobblestone and tile alleyways hold great promise but it's still in the developmental stage. That was fine for us because we were afforded a quiet respite for a week in a huge suite on the second level overlooking a large sea-green lagoon harboring beautiful yachts from all over.
Every hour a small ferry boat would arrive at the dock to take us to the private beach, we had it mostly to ourselves to enjoy, tasty food and libation available right there as well.
The wait staff is wonderful, friendly and accommodating as the Dominican people tend to be.
The disco is a marvel in itself, futuristic and state-of-the-art, it was empty though but when this place takes hold, it will be great fun. I think this enclave would make you think of Portofino perhaps, the architecture, the village vibe, the charming little church with lovely leaded glass windows, doors always open and welcoming, pastel walls of pink, yellow, green and terra cotta abounding. This holds great value at this time and that's a big plus, probably when everything is complete, this may very well be beyond our budget so go now while the it's still affordable.

Room Tip: We stayed in suite 2004, it was so large we lost each other a couple of times, beautifully appointed...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Alsol Luxury Village? Share your experiences!