“Hate to rate it at poor but unresolved issues left me no choice!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Alsol Luxury Village

Save Saved
You added Alsol Luxury Village to your Saves list
Alsol Luxury Village
Cap Cana, Punta Cana 23302, Dominican Republic (Formerly Marina Sands Luxury All Inclusive Beach Resort)   |
Ranked #22 of 100 hotels in Punta Cana
ILLINOIS
“Hate to rate it at poor but unresolved issues left me no choice!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

We stayed at Marina Sands (formally The Fishing Lodge) for five nights in December.
The property is really beautiful and our room was great! BUT the place still leaves a lot to be desired!
Without boring the reader too much with our saga, here it is in a nutshell:
We purchased our package from Luxury Link. The package included five nights stay, all taxes and resort fees, a$100 food and beverage credit, a $100 resort credit for spa, golf or watersports. I provided a printed confirmation when we arrived and we asked about how we would receive our credits. We were told that they were under new management and they would have to find out and would call us to let us know. They finally called the next night to tell us that there was no proof that we had paid and they refused to honor the package deal!!! I contacted Luxury Link and they sent documentation to prove that it was paid in full and all of the details of the package. When I spoke to the "manager" Antonio, he basically had no interest in my situation and told me it was my problem. The next day, we found out that he was no longer employed and the new manager was Meladys. I spoke with her and she said that she would research my package deal and let me know. She requested that I pay the full amount due and if she was able to resolve it, they would contact us via email and credit our credit card. That never happened. I have contacted them via email multiple times.

All in all, I was cheated out of about $250 USD.

Additionally, we had issues with the safe not working. After multiple attempts to fix it they finally brought a new one. The room key cards were a mess. We went through at least one set per day and sometimes more. They would usually not work a second time which was frustrating.
We had to beg for wash cloths every day, except the last day they left a pile!! Food choices there are very limited. Only one restaurant was open for dinner and it was nothing to brag about. The breakfast buffet was ok but very pricey for the quality. We only ate there one day due to all the gnats around the food!

We do think that most of the staff was very nice. Our maid did a great job cleaning the room, the bartenders were super friendly and accommodating. Louis, at the front desk, is very kind and a great asset to the place.

There is no beach at the resort but the pools are very nice. We laughed when we learned that the new name is Marina Sands. It is on The Marina, but there is no beach!! One of the beaches that they shuttle you too is not so great but there are other beautiful beaches available.

There is construction going on at the resort and a lot of workers are on the property all day and into the evening.

The shuttle is also frustrating. Even with very low occupancy, we sometimes waited 20 minutes to get the shuttle. Others complained that they waited much longer at times.

There was one "store" open, but it was very limited and expensive.

In all fairness, the property and the rooms are really great! It is the perfect place to unwind.
I kept saying that it would be a good place to open a classy resort! Unfortunately, they just don't have it together.
Again, I hate to rate it poor. I probably would have rated it somewhat better had they even tried to resolve our issues with the room tax and the resort credits that were due to us.

Sanctuary Cap Cana is a resort close by. Once we realized out situation at Marina Sands, I refused to spend my money there so we spent all of our days and our money at Sanctuary Cap Cana where we were treated like royalty!!!

Room Tip: The rooms by the main pool seem most desirable to me. Request a room away from the construction!