“Wonderful” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 101 hotels in Punta Cana
London, England, United Kingdom
“Wonderful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Possibly the most luxurious yet unpretentious property in the DR. Beach area and service amazing. We had lunch and dinner 3 times at la palapa. Fresh seafood, good wine list but service can be a bit slow.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple

93 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Absolutely amazing place. We wanted a quick getaway with a nonstop flight from Atlanta to the Caribbean and ran across the Eden Roc, SO glad we did. I did not want to be around children or raging alcoholics, would never go to an inclusive resort, and this fit the bill. The Eden Roc is amazing. Immaculate, pristine, stunning, I could go on. I travel frequently and am particular about where I stay, and I can honestly say that this was one of the nicest resorts I have ever been to. From the moment you walk into the lobby, it's just breathtaking. The decor is fantastic, as a design professional I notice these things, and I was incredibly impressed, there is nothing "hotel" about this place. Probably the thing I noticed most was the attention to detail here. Everything smells amazing. I know that sounds ridiculous, but the entire resort smelled absolutely sublime, not a hint of that gross deodorizer smell that even nice hotels can have. We had a garden suite, which, as other reviewers have noted, is the way to go if you want complete privacy. It. Was. Gorgeous. Amazing bathroom, outdoor shower, private pool, it really felt like you were staying in someone's guest house rather than a resort. It felt like home, albeit a home I will probably need to win the lottery to own. As mentioned, the attention to detail is superb. Lovely Laura Tonatto bath products, we don't drink so they quickly replaced the complimentary champagne bucket with Diet Coke, in-room ipads, great wireless, a lovely turndown service, just, every detail is considered.
The staff is amazing, it was basically deserted while we were there, we felt like we were the only guests at the resort and hardly saw anyone else. Elesio, Miledys and Odalis (I should have written down their names because I know I am absolutely butchering them) were spectacular in particular but ALL of the staff were just amazing.
Food was fine, the steak for two at Mediterraneo was one of the best steaks I have ever had and I am a steak connoisseur.
The beach is small but perfect, the water is some of the most beautiful water I have ever seen in the Caribbean. In short, do not hesitate if you are considering the Eden Roc. You will not be disappointed, it is a perfect gem in the Caribbean.

Room Tip: The garden suites have complete privacy. You will feel like you are on your own private island.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
Duluth, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We just got back from a 3-night stay at the Eden Roc Cap Cana. This was our first trip to the DR. Let me start by saying that I was very close to giving this resort 4 stars as opposed to 5. But as I thought more about it, the shortcomings significant enough to drop the rating had more to do with issues at the Beach club. Since it doesn’t appear that the Beach club is “controlled” by the resort, it’s shortcomings cannot be used to rate the hotel. That being said, I have kept my comments about issues with the Beach club in the review.

The Great:

If you are a couple seeking private, luxurious accommodations in the DR, look no further. Particularly if you are looking in Cap Cana, so close to Punta Cana airport, and want a place with a private beach with safe ocean conditions (so you can actually go in the ocean), stop reading this review and go to Eden Roc. We traveled throughout Cap Cana in our golf cart, including visiting the other resort and the marina area. There was no other beach like it and that was very important to us. We were not looking for all inclusive, so we enjoyed the flexibility to go off property to get what we couldn’t at the resort. And I’m going to stress something that has not been stressed enough in past reviews. If you want privacy, DO NOT select a lagoon view suite. These overlook the “lagoon-like resort pool” and the patios and private pools are visible from just about anywhere. There are no accommodations that have a view of the ocean. The garden view suites are surrounded on all sides by foliage so you can be outside without anyone seeing you or vice versa. We immediately switched to a garden view one bedroom after seeing our originally booked lagoon view junior suite. We would have paid, but they gave it to us free. It was a very nice gesture, even considering the resort was virtually empty.

The Less-Than-Great:

Service – the service was good for the most part, but was spotty. Everyone tried very hard, but despite that, the service was hit or miss. Great prompt, attentive service at the beach one day, no one to be found the next. We tipped very well every day, yet it didn’t give us any better (or worse) service. There was great service at La Palapa, but paradoxically worse service at the signature restaurant. For example, at Mediterraneo we were served a wonderful beef carpaccio, then 10 minutes later, while waiting for olive oil service that we had to ask for, the server comes back and says “the chef suggests eating with an olive oil”. I guess it’s a good thing we didn’t eat it yet. We couldn’t seem to get a good balance between over-attentive and under-attentive. As I said earlier, La Palapa was perfect. As Americans with poor (but not non-existent) Spanish skills, language barrier was an issue, but the service shortfalls almost never had anything to do with that. Room service and concierge services were consistently excellent. So there was not “bad service”, but certainly not consistently “good service”.

Facilities – I’m not sure why, but the Caleton Grill, the bar at the beach club, and the kids club were all closed. I didn’t care about the kids club, but I was certainly shocked that the others were closed. The resort was far from full, but typically if a restaurant and major bar were going to be closed (save one day a week as is common), I would think that would have been announced on the website like is typical at other major resorts. Heck, the airport hotel in Chicago had it plastered all over their website that the steam room would be closed. In addition, the bar menu at Riva had no wine on it. When I asked about wine selections, I was told they had to get it from the restaurant. A bar without wine? That was odd. Especially since the other major bar in the resort was closed. What was open, however, was beautiful and kept in magnificent condition. Cleanliness was not an issue in the least. No bugs either.

Dining – La Palapa was great. We had a great lunch and a great dinner there. The servers there were also excellent and very attentive. So I can’t figure out why Mediterraneo was so noticeably inferior considering it’s supposed to be so much nicer. Breakfast was included and was good for the most part, but egg orders by American standards were hard to come by. The dinner menu was rather limited so I played it safe and ordered the langoustine. It was a beautiful, but overcooked, plate. My wife’s beef wellington was overcooked as well, but this may be an issue with what’s considered medium rare in the DR. It did taste good though. And while I’m spoiled with dining American, I hate to drop $300 and leave a restaurant 2 hours later hungry. But as I mentioned earlier, not being on an all inclusive meant that we could have dinner at another resort one night. It was at least comparable in quality and service, and was half the price. If we had stayed longer, we would have eaten off site more. As for the only available food at the beach, the chicken wrap and fries were excellent, the chicken wings definitely not so much.

Activities – all we wanted to do was go to the beach, the pool, and swim in the ocean. Perfect resort for that. The beach club, even though you have to drive there 3 minutes from your suite in the golf cart, was awesome. As good as any beach at any resort we have been to in the world. If you want to paddle board, windsurf, sail, or anything else, you have to go Scape Park. It’s a 15 minute leisurely golf cart ride. It’s not at all inconvenient. Especially when you consider that if you stay anywhere else, and want to do this stuff, you still have to come to the same beach, whether you have a ride, a golf cart, or whatever. As I mentioned earlier, the other resort we visited had a beach, but the ocean was clearly inhospitable. No one was in over their knees.

So overall the rooms, luxury, and privacy were fully 5 star. Since this is what we were seeking on this vacation, I’m very glad we stayed here. If we had it to do over, we would do it again. For that I believe the hotel deserves 5 stars. If we were only looking to relax, if we were staying a week or longer, we didn’t feel like leaving the resort, and we wanted better eating options, we would have gone elsewhere. The things I mentioned above were not terribly problematic, but as someone who doesn’t go anywhere without looking at TA, it’s important to be honest with readers that look to get the same information I do from a review. And as always, these are my opinions, and we have all been places that we both agreed with, and disagreed with, the reviews that led to us choosing the places we went.

Room Tip: Couples seeking privacy should choose garden view
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Paolo S, General Manager at Eden Roc at Cap Cana, responded to this review, 3 weeks ago
Dear Ctsurgn,

Thank you very much for your kind review. We really appreciate your positive comments about the resort and your constructive thoughts about some facilities and services to be enhanced. Nice to learn that, if you were staying one week longer you didn’t feel like leaving the resort. This great consideration is reinforcing our commitment to continuously improve our services and attention to details.

Looking very much forward to welcoming you back in the future I send my best personal regards

Paolo Sanavia, Managing Director, Eden Roc at Cap Cana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We visited the Eden Roc at Cap Cana last weekend to celebrate my birthday. The staff was very welcoming and warm, extremely helpful at the time of checking in (with a toddler running around, not easy) the room was stunning, elegantly decorated with well administered tropical influences. They set up a crib for my baby, cloud b turtle included (light projector with little stars and soothing sounds)...thought that was so cute! I requested a nanny to come look after my son; her name is Silvia, she was incredibly sweet and interactive, ask for her if you need one. The kids club was ace, many activities for different age groups indoors and outdoors. Perfect if you need a break for a couple of hours. Our favorite amenity in the room was the private pool right outside our balcony, we took a splash as soon as we arrived. The evening of my birthday they prepared the jacuzzi with rose petals, candles, incense and bathing salts... What better way to relax after coming back from an amazing birthday dinner? The bed swallowed me after that! Delicious sheets and pillows. The food at the restaurant was incredible, La Palapa has the best grilled octopus I have tried in my life!! Breakfast at the main restaurant (forget the name) was exquisite with a variety of organic products locally produced. The milk and cheese were to die for!! The day were checking out the manager of the hotel spotted us in our table while we were having breakfast and came by to say hello and see how our stay was, if the arrangements for my birthday were OK, and if the nanny did a good job, I don't know how he identified us, but I think it's quite telling of how personalized and boutique this place and its service is. I loved it and would go back anytime. The beach in Caleton Club is also fantastic... I cannot think of one thing that didn't go better than I expected. This place is a must anytime you think of going to the Caribbean, whether on a family vacation or romantic getaway. I must also mention that even though the hotel was full, we never saw crowds which is nice. The ride from the Punta Cana airport to the hotel is also included in their rate, which never hurts.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Dear Monica P,

Thank you very much for your nice review. We are extremely happy to learn that you had an amazing stay with us and some very unique experiences. Your appreciation is motivating our team to serve our guests always with passion and make their stay unforgettable.

We really hope to see you back soon at the Eden Roc

Paolo Sanavia, Managing Director Eden Roc at Cap Cana
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

....that we had to leave this slice of heaven on earth! I'll pull some adjectives from other reviews: Unbeatable, superb, beautiful, spacious, spotless, friendly.. And I'll add a few of my own: peaceful, idyllic, perfect, stupendous, fantastic, remarkable! Everything, and I do mean everything was simply perfect. You cannot go wrong here. Amazing food, rooms, beach, and such friendly, smiling, accomodating staff. Super romantic and quiet. Don't balk at the price - it's worth every penny.

Room Tip: The junior suite garden view was huge, more tan enough for 2 people like is who require a lot of spa...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Kprater72,

Thank you very much for your heartwarming review. Great to learn about your fantastic experience and most of all thank you for the inspiring adjectives you used to describe the Eden Roc at Cap Cana.

Paolo Sanavia, Managing Director Eden Roc at Cap Cana
Dammam
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2014 via mobile

Unbeatable hotel don't think of going anywhere else but here ( tortuga bay is so overrated. ) if you want the best hospitality, room, cleanest beach and delicious food, eden roc is the only place that offer all these things in the highest standards in punta cana

• Stayed June 2014
Paolo S, General Manager at Eden Roc at Cap Cana, responded to this review, July 2, 2014
Dear Isvdr,

Thank you very much for your positive review and the kind note of appreciation on our hospitality.

We are very much looking forward to welcoming you back to the Eden Roc in the future.

Paolo Sanavia
Managing Director, Eden Roc at Cap Cana
Satigny, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2014

The only true boutique de Luxe Hotel in Punta Cana, superb facilities, rooms. Beach. and the best are the rooms. The restaurants, La Palapa and the Mediterraneo are just impressive. We will come back in December.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Dear Vimouche,

Your note of appreciation is very motivating for our team. We all are looking forward to welcoming you back in December. Thank you

Paolo Sanavia
Managing Director, Eden Roc at Cap Cana

Been to Eden Roc at Cap Cana? Share your experiences!