“Wonderful!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 100 hotels in Punta Cana
Milan, Italy
“Wonderful!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2013

Since my first visit many things have changed in this hotel!

I wasn't expecting such a drastic change within such a short amount of time. I spent a week in the hotel and was truly in awe with the efficiency and availability of the staff and how it has improved since my last visit. The rooms are great as always offering an incredible comfortable private indoor and outdoor area.

What has surprised me the most has been the excellent quality and food that has been kept at the main restaurant 'Mediterraneo', I truly believe it is not short of any other Michelin-starred restaurant in Europe. The perfectly balanced Mediterranean cuisine it offers perfectly complements the hotel's essence.

Moreover, the SPA was a great experience too. With a wide variety of massages and treatments it was hard to choose!

I spent an incredible week again and will be returning soon for Easter I hope! This is a place I will be coming back to very often.

Room Tip: Ask for the Golden Shell suite. One word: AMAZING.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Daniele T, Director of Sales at Eden Roc at Cap Cana, responded to this review, November 23, 2013
Dear Alma89,

Thank you so much for your positive feedback and welcome back to your home away from home. I am truly delighted to read that our service team and experience all together exceeded your expectations. We will look forward to welcoming you back again this coming Easter. Thanks again,

Director of Sales & Marketing

89 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Quogue, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

It has been almost a week since our return from Eden Roc at Cap Cana. I wanted to wait a bit to write this review to have time to think about our trip.

My wife and I have been to many ultra luxury resorts around the world so we have some perspective as to what to expect from this type of property. I can tell you from our experience, Eden Roc is about as good as it gets.

We were met at the airport and delivered to a welcoming committee which was waiting for us at the entrance to the resort. We were upgraded from a junior suite to a 1 bedroom without even asking. Next was a personal tour of the grounds and our suite. The grounds and accommodations are magnificent.

Understated luxury is the theme here. Attention to details that individually might not seem like a big deal start to pile up. You start to realize how much thought and attention have gone into making this place world class. I casually mentioned that I like the shade and within minutes, an enormous umbrella appeared by our private pool. A team continuously manicures the lush landscape. The beach at the Caleton Beach Club is private, stunning and immaculate.

There weren't many other guests here during our stay but honestly, I don't think it would have made much difference even if the place was full. We were known by name and our preferences both in the room and and at meals were quickly picked up on and remembered.

Meals at both La Palapa and Mediterraneo were wonderful. We were expecting the dinner tabs to be steep, but coming from New York, we didn't really think the prices were out of line. Other restaurants at the Marina area were also outstanding. We never had a disappointing meal.

The property, the setting, and the food were all great but what really makes this place shine is the staff. There is a sense of caring from those who work here that's nothing short of extraordinary. No fake smiles. These people are happy to see you and they are genuinely glad you've come to visit them.

After our week was over, it was time to say goodbye. We have never been hugged before when leaving a resort but that's exactly what we got from the staff here as the cab pulled up for our trip to the airport. We will be back.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Rik,

Thank you so much for your positive feedback pertaining to your most recent visit. I am truly delighted to read that our service team, our location, your suite and your experience all together exceeded your expectations. Comments like yours are a true inspiration to our continued pursuit of excellence in everything we do. Thank you also for recommending our hotel. Your patronage and loyalty are highly valued and appreciated. We will look forward to welcoming you back, hopefully in the not far future.

Director of Sales & Marketing
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

This was a very difficult review to write. The resort has so many positives to it that I hate to fault it at all, but after having given it some thought, I decided it was worth mentioning the flaws with the caveat that I still hold this property in high regard. To give some context, we stayed for six days here, so I felt like we had a pretty decent opportunity to feel this place out and identify the things we liked/did not like. If we had stayed only a couple of nights, maybe none of these things would have been noticed or been sufficiently irritating to remember.

First off, our stay started a little bit rocky because the hotel transportation did not pick us up from the airport (and we arrived exactly on time), so I was not particularly pleased at having to decide whether to stick around and wait in the heat or to just take a taxi. We opted for the taxi who charged us $15 from the airport to the resort, including a stop at the grocery store for some incidentals (this price will become relevant later in the review). That being said, I arrived at the resort a little miffed. Luckily, the staff were so pleasant and welcoming that I soon forgot my irritation and focused on beginning my relaxing vacation. This became somewhat of a theme throughout the stay (i.e. I would show up to breakfast wanting to describe my complaints, but the staff's attitude put me at peace somehow).

The resort itself is flawlessly gorgeous. What a stunning blend of colors, textures, and stones! The landscaping (although not yet fully mature) was beautiful and well tended to. I found their use of plants and flowers to be consistent with the locale and done with utmost taste. They definitey spared no expense in the design and construction, and I would find anyone hard-pressed to challenge its 5-star status from an aesthetic perspective. The Caleton Beach Club had a similarly beautiful design and use of materials to create a tropical paradise.

Now to the room/villa: gorgeous! I was not terribly thrilled at the idea of staying in a room surrounded in pink, but it was tasteful, tropical and elegant. I loved the detail in the flooring and you could see that a lot of thought had been put into the flow of the room. The living room was comfortable, elegant yet sparsely furnished. The bedroom also had a minimalist quality to it, so it felt clean and simple. The bathroom was exquisite. The intricate flower-like weaving of the lamps by the vanities, looking out to the patio just outside the bathroom was beautiful as well. The villa, from every room and from practically every angle, brings the outside in, but with a feeling of complete privacy. I also thought the walk-in wooden closet was a nice touch. It felt like a home, rather than just a nice hotel room. The pool outside was always kept immaculately clean and the temperature was consistently fantastic. My only complaint about the pool is that it has a rough plaster to it, resulting in more than a few scrapes over the course of our stay. A pool of this caliber of resort should really either be tiled or have a smooth finish to the plaster. Additionally, due to the landscaping not yet being mature, you do not feel very private, especially if you have guests in the neighboring villa. We were alone the first four nights, but then had a couple move in, and it felt strange because you could hear their conversation, etc. Anyways, not a huge deal, but if you are expecting 100% privacy, then do not!

The service, for the most part, was quite excellent. I found everyone to be friendly, warm and very well-trained. They exuded a quiet elegance, and I really enjoyed talking to each of them. They also, for the most part, delivered everything quickly. For example, if we asked to have ice sent to the room, they were there in less than five minutes. They also promptly answered the telephone. There is nothing worse than calling reception and having the phone ring a thousand times. That did not happen here. The only complaint that I have regarding the service is that sometimes maintenance requests had to be repeated, and sometimes, the request was never taken care of at all. For example, the shower did not have any hot water, and I had to ask a couple of times before it finally got taken care of. Also, immediately upon arrival, we noticed that the outdoor speakers and the speakers in the living room did not work. We mentioned this every day, but we never got it taken care of and never really received an apology either. It would have been nice to have been moved to a different room with functioning speakers, especially since the resort was basically deserted when we were there. The beach service was the only service that I found to be appallingly amateurish. As I mentioned previously, hardly anyone else was there when we were there, yet it would take up to 15 minutes or more just to get a beer or cocktail. I also wish they would have had cool towels available to freshen yourself after being in the sun for an extended period of time. I also believe that they should have cucumber water stations available rather than charging for bottles of water. This is the first place I have ever stayed that charged for bottled water.

The food: breakfast was my favorite meal of the day. I loved the variety of choices that they offered and definitely enjoyed indulging in the coconut water. The breakfast staff were always super friendly, and their five-star service training was evident at each step of the way. I wish I could remember all of their names, but I am horrible with names these days. I definitely remember Maria though! Her smile could light up the room. The breakfast service may be a bit formal to some people, but I think anyone who has sufficient experience traveling at these types of places would expect it. After breakfast is where things fell a bit flat for me food-wise. When I travel, I like to have varied eating options, and I particularly like to have local eating options. Only two restaurants were open for dinner during our stay, and La Palapa was the only choice for lunch. When I travel someplace, particularly a beach resort, the last thing I want to eat is what I would consider "NY steakhouse" food, i.e. Italian dishes, heavy meats, etc. Granted, they do have seafood options (the lobster fajitas were INCREDIBLE!), but the menu never changed, so you get easily bored. I would have liked more local food options. I also thought the prices were pretty exploitative, but that is pretty much a given at any 5-star resort these days. For example, my partner ordered the Catch of the Day, and it was $34. I wanted something else, but the waiter insisted that the fish was too large for one person and should best be shared. Reluctantly, I agreed. Once the bill came, all of a sudden, the $34 fish became $68. If I would have ordered something entirely different (which was my preference, by the way), it would have been $34, but since we shared, it was $68? I found that to be a bit distasteful. After that experience, I was kind of turned off their restaurants and was determined to find an alternative option. Luckily, in our golf-cart excursions, we stumbled upon Juanillo Beach which is near Sanctuary Cap Cana. Juanillo's was exactly what we were looking for food-wise: seafood pizza, lobster, fresh fish, ceviche, etc., all served to you right on the beach. The prices were great, the menu had a good variety of options, the quality was amazing and it felt much more casual for the setting. I will talk about Juanillo more a bit later. All in all, the quality of the food at Eden Roc is without reproach, but I would ask that they consider having more casual/local options. They appear to be catering to the "American who wants to travel but still eat like an American." That is not me.

I feel like I have covered the main points. The last few things that I will address are really just irritating things, but again, if you stay for just a couple of days, I do not think they will be a huge issue. First off, I chose this place because I wanted privacy and exclusivity. The fact that the resort has only 33 or so villas meant to me that, at any given time, there would a maximum of 100 people. I did not, however, realize that the beach is not private. The beach club is just that: a club, so people from the community can come and enjoy the beach. The beach is VERY VERY small, so even a small amount of people can make the area feel crowded. The other thing that I actually absolutely hated was that they rent out the beach area to wedding parties, so the whole time we were there, literally, every day, there was some random couple posing all over the beach area, in the water, around the pool and around the restaurant for what seemed like hours each time! It was very off-putting because I felt like we were being constrained because when they were in the water, you could not go in for fear of getting in their picture (i.e. that is how small the water area is). I hated it, and I am sure the owners at Eden Roc are making a killing off of it, but it felt so low rent and more appropriate for an all-inclusive resort. After the third day, we stopped going to the Caleton Beach Club and went to Juanillo. At Juanillo Beach, the area is much more spread out (think long, expansive beach waterfront versus a small, semi-circular cove at Caleton), they play great loungy-beach music and you can literally stay there all day and feel more private than at the "exclusive Caleton Beach Club." Sorry for the brief rant, but I just feel like Eden Roc needs to decide if it wants to be an exclusive 5-star resort or just part of the way. My last rant involves the taxis. I noticed in a prior review that someone said they got a $2 taxi ride to the marina to go to dinner. I wish we would have shared their luck! We took two taxis: one to the grocery store to get sunblock, and another to a different grocery store for incidentals. The first taxi charged us $80 (I thought he was joking) for a 15 minute drive, and the second charged us $60 for a 5-10 minute drive. I felt so completely exploited and taken advantage of, and I have never felt that way in any other destination. We speak Spanish also, so I also did not expect to fall prey to such extortion. Remember, upon arrival, I noted in my review above that the taxi driver took us from the airport to the same grocery store and to the resort for $15. He even offered to take us on a tour of Santo Domingo for only $150. To be honest, the taxi situation is enough of a deterrent to prevent me from returning. Punta Cana (well, Cap Cana) is gorgeous, but the Eden Roc does not offer enough stimulation for a stay of longer than 3 days.

In summary, the resort is gorgeous, the people are friendly and the service is mostly outstanding. I suggest going for a few days, but think twice before extended stays here.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
daniele T, Director of Sales at Eden Roc at Cap Cana, responded to this review, October 5, 2013
Dear DCTraveler1979,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience from your recent stay with us! We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay . We also appreciate and value your comments in regards to the overall feeling and expectations.

We are hoping to be able to welcome you back in the near future for another terrific stay!

PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

Just got back from 4 nights stay. Off season, wasn't crowded, actually like a ghost town first couple nights. My wife and I were only ones at pool, at the bar, in the restaurant. We didn't mind. The service and the food was beyond amazing. Only two restaurants open when we were there. La Palapa at beach club and Mediterranean in eden roc. Great food at both and plenty of choices. We went to marina for one dinner, short drive, $2 cab ride. Was good but not necessarily worth leaving eden roc. It was empty also. Every breakfast and dinner at mediterranean was absolutely great. And my wife and i are foodies and live in a city with lots of choices for great food. Not chain food fans. Staff goes above and beyond.....granted we were only ones there.....but extremely pleasant and friendly at every encounter. The room, a one bedroom suite, upgraded from jr suite, was incredible. From the private outdoor pool, the private outdoor shower, the huge indoor jetted tub we never used and the best shower you've ever been in. 20" high flow rain shower head with great handheld and a waterfall feature. Layout and design of the spotless room with the front and rear patio areas is perfect. Check out the sunken jungle area just beyond main pool. walk down there...its very cool. I also like having my own golf cart to get around property. Beach club beach area was perfect. My wife and I are already planning on going back with our teenage kids. Loved it! Try coconut water.

Room Tip: This place is brand new. I'm sure every room was finished with the same quality and style as min...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Mr. SilvPA

It is such a pleasure to hear that you and your wife had a ‘Top Notch’ experience while visiting the Eden Roc at Cap Cana.

I have passed on your kind comments to my colleagues and we hope to welcome you back soon!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

We enjoyed ourselves tremendously at Eden Roc, taking full advantage of the luxurious accommodations and enjoying every minute at the fantastic golf course. The hotel is very beautiful and cozy and there are many activities to do, some of which are organized outside of the premises. We spent our time relaxing, playing golf, feasting on the excellent food, getting massages and going to the beach.

Eden Roc reminds me a bit of the luxurious Balinese hotels, with its private villas and individual pools. The rooms are huge and very well decorated, with exceedingly comfortable beds and enormous bathrooms. The private pools are beautiful as well, surrounded by plants and flowers. However, they lack a bit of privacy as the plants have not grown enough yet to cover all of the surrounding areas.

The beach is absolutely extraordinary. We loved swimming in the mornings and having lunch at La Palapa, were we could enjoy great Italian food as well as a wide variety of daily caught fish and shellfish.

At night, we usually went for drinks at the bar and then for dinner at Mediterraneo, were the quality of the food is absolutely outstanding. Everything from the appetizers to the variety of sweets they served along with coffee and tea was extraordinary. The service was slow but the waiters were very kind and friendly. You could tell they really wanted to please the client. The food and the atmosphere of the restaurant, overlooking the main pool, were so nice, that it was worth it every single time.

I would rate this hotel a straight 5-star and would highly recommend it to anyone that knows how to appreciate true luxury in the Caribbean.

• Stayed July 2013
Dear Jcvg947,

Thank you for your feedback! It is a pleasure hearing that you enjoyed your stay at Eden Roc at Cap Cana and for your wonderful comments and knowledge of true luxury in the Caribbean.

We hope that we can welcome you back soon!

Hilton Head Island, South Carolina, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

Fabulous place to stay. They are obviously trying, but will still need some time to work on getting the local staff up to speed on providing a matching quality of service to the outstanding and world class facilities. I thoroughly enjoyed my time there with my wife and two girls!

• Stayed May 2013
Dear Michael,

Thank you for taking the time to share your kind feedback from your most recent stay with us. We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your visit! We hope to be able to welcoming you back in the near future.

Daniele Tromacco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

Our family just can't back from an amazing 10 day vacation at Eden Roc. We truly could not have chosen a better place ! My husband and I have very demanding full time jobs and are raising 2 toddlers. Needless to say, we were looking for a place to relax and recharge.

Eden Roc exceeded our expectation in every aspect. The accommodations are the most luxurious we have ever seen ( and we have both travelled a lot), the service was excellent ( we were treated like royalty) and chef Gianluca's food was exquisite.

Sure, it all comes at a price, but the price was justifiable for us given the quality.

Definitely consider this place if you are looking for a luxurious and relaxing experience.
Do not come here if you're looking to party, get wasted and meet other people . This place is mostly geared towards couples and families. Also keep in mind that this is a small and quiet resort. There are 34 villas and they may not all be occupied, especially during low season.

We definitely will be back. In the meanwhile, we wanted to send special thanks to some staff members who we felt went above and beyond to make our stay enjoyable: Alessandra at reservations, Alejandra and Carlos at the reception, Hakim at the beach club, Sylvia at the kids club ( my son still asks about her), Michaele at the Riva Bar and Anna at Mediterraneo and of course, chef Gianluca who had us experience award winning cuisine at every meal.

• Stayed July 2013
Dear Client,

Thank you for taking the time to write this so eulogistic comment on Trip Advisor about the Eden Roc at Cap Cana.
It is a real reward for all our teams because we daily work to satisfy all our guests’ needs and requests.

We are so attached to a warm welcome for our dear guests, and we are really happy that you have enjoyed your experience with us.

We hope to joyfully greet you soon,

Best sunny and friendly regards,

Daniele Trombacco

Been to Eden Roc at Cap Cana? Share your experiences!