“Eden Roc Cap Cana” 5 of 5 stars

5.0 of 5 Resort   |   Cap Cana, Punta Cana 23000, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #3 of 102 Hotels in Punta Cana
“Eden Roc Cap Cana”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

I have to say I normally do not write reviews but this place deserves one, it is with no doubt the most amazing hotel I've been. Best food ever all day long for all type of tastes, from very simple dishes made with the finest products to a very sophisticated cuisine in the Mediterraneo restaurant at night.

In your own private villas you feel the privacy of being home but with all the comforts only Eden Roc Cap Cana can offer. The service is outstanding, whether in-suite or at the beach, you can indulge with massages at the border of the sea in their crystal clear water beach. This place is a must for any type of traveler.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
daniele T, Director of Sales at Eden Roc at Cap Cana, responded to this review, June 5, 2013
Dear SCC0208,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your first experience at Eden Roc at Cap Cana on TripAdvisor. It gives me great pleasure to read that you enjoyed staying in one of our suites and you would like to visit with us again. Thank you for your sincere words with regard to our service team. Feedback like yours inspires our continuous pursuit of excellence in everything we do. We truly value your loyalty and can’t wait to welcome you and your travel companion back soon!

Daniele Trombacco

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

My husband and I stayed at Eden Roc in late April for a week. The airport pick up/transfer was easy and quick. We arrived at mid-day, checked in, and then got a short tour of the property in a golf cart. The tour might have been more helpful if more was explained--dining options, how to get to the beach, where to go to golf, other resorts with dining options, etc. We then checked into our room--I believe it was room 19--a cute little blue suite with its own pool. There was a fresh bowl of fruit brought, along with a bottle of champagne and sparkling pineapple juice (again, because I'm expecting.) This was a nice touch. It would have been nice, though, if the fruit would have been replenished during the week--to have available as a snack. There were snacks in the mini bar/fridge area, which was nice, but when you're paying $5 for a coke, etc, it just seems a bit like you're being nickled and dimed. At other similar level resorts, there would always be a mini fridge area with complimentary water/soft drinks/snacks, etc. Maybe I've been spoiled, but when you experience this at a number of luxury resorts, you come to expect it. Several in Mexico also stock local beer that is complimentary--a nice touch. Although it was the standard room, it was very spacious with a large bedroom/sitting room/TV room and a large bathroom with an enormous tub. There was also a very large closet to conveniently store all clothing and luggage. Additionally, there was an outdoor shower, which we did not use. Perhaps if the outdoor shower was closer to the indoor one, or adjoined the indoor one, we might have used it, but it seemed like a real effort to take all products out the door and over to the shower on the other side of the outdoor patio. Not a huge inconvenience, but it's a shame that it didn't get used. Like I mentioned, the bathtub is huge--I used it several times, as I was pregnant and liked the thought of reading while bathing; however the bath takes FOREVER to fill. I never did get it even half way filled. Honestly, it was inconvenient. I'd pare down the size of the tub for sure in order to make it more convenient to use. It's also worth mentioning that by the time the tub would have been filled, the water temperature would have been too cool to really enjoy--just too much time/thought while on vacation to take a simple bath. The bed was very nice and the sheets were very comfortable. The pool on our patio was very nice--it could have been just a bit longer in order to do laps. Our patio backed up to a hill/trees/etc, so it was very private and peaceful. The lounge chairs on the patio were not a good choice by management. They were wicker loungers that did not have adjustable backs. If you want to spend one of your days in your room and at your pool, the lounge chair not adjusting is a major draw back. Also, perhaps the most concerning oversight regarding the pool area was the lack of shade. Again, when you want to spend your morning or afternoon at your room/pool, yet there is no way to get shade, it makes it almost impossible. This was very frustrating, especially when I mentioned it to the front desk and nothing was done. Getting time out of the sun when you're spending a week at the beach is very, very important. It's almost fundamental--and I just can't believe this oversight was an issue at such a high-end property. When you're paying the money we paid, you should have an option for some shade... The main pool at Eden Roc also had NO SHADE options. NO umbrellas at the main pool. Nice lounge chairs, beautiful pool with a swim up bar, but NO SHADE--unfortunately, we couldn't use the pool during the heat of the day for fear of getting burned/skin damage, etc. Again, when you're paying what you're paying, this should not be an issue. The beach at the Caleton Beach resort (a very short golf cart ride) was gorgeous. The water was beautiful, and although there were waves, they were not big enough to deter swimming safely. The sand was like powder sugar. Just gorgeous. Perhaps MOST IMPORTANTLY, there were palapas with many of the lounge chairs, which offered shade! Finally! A place to read, lounge, and swim and not be in the glaring SUN. With skin damage and cancer being such an issue, I'm surprised we had such a problem... The cocktail bar at the beach left much to be desired. This should be updated. It looked old and in need of a remodel. My husband also mentioned that he didn't see any top shelf liquor there, and that the beer selection left much to be desired. Again, at a normal resort, I wouldn't be concerned, but for a top/luxury resort, this should not be an issue. Similarly, at the Caleton pool, the swim up bar was not even open, was old, and was in desperate need of an update. The restaurant at the Caleton Club (main building) was closed. The Palapa restaurant near the water was open for lunch and dinner, and was good. We ate there a few times and enjoyed our lunch. The menu, however, was limited, and the food was quite expensive. I can't complain about the quality of the food, though--it was fresh and tasty. The restaurants back at Eden Roc were good, not great. The main restaurant where you have breakfast every morning was nice, with both indoor and outdoor seating that looks onto the pool. The breakfasts were tasty--a large buffet inside and the ability to order eggs/pancakes/etc. from the menu. The buffet had things like pastries, yogurt, fruits, cereals, juices, etc. It was not the best buffet I've seen (have had much better in Mexico/Cabo) but it was not bad. The made to order items were tasty, but the menu was quite limited. Omelets, eggs, bacon, pancakes (which were horrible--tasted like microwaved frozen cakes), etc. Nothing new/inventive. No breakfast burrito or something with more imagination. Towards the end of the week, my husband stopped going to breakfast due to the poor service and lack of selection. (Surprising because this was the only FREE thing we got all week!) The dinners at this main restaurant were gourmet/over the top. Sorry, but if I'm on a beach vacation, I don't necessarily want unrecognizable mini lobster claws when the menu describes the dish more like "lobster bisque pasta." I don't necessarily want or need 24 options for which olive oil I want drizzled on my salad. Just give me a fresh salad and charge me a fair price for it. The dinners at the main restaurant were WAY OVERPRICED. That's not to say the food was bad--it wasn't. Everything was fresh and tasty. But when you're paying close to $300 for dinner for two, it just becomes a bit ridiculous. The service at the main restaurant also left much to be desired. When you're paying what you're paying, you expect to get watermelon if you request watermelon (especially when you know they have it--you just got it yesterday and you see your neighbor eating it!) instead, canteloup is brought because the server did not understand your request. The language barrier became very frustrating. When it takes five minute and three different servers to order a meal, and then your meal shows up with incorrect items, it becomes a bit tedious. Especially when you're on vacation--you want simplicity, you want peace. You don't want to struggle with an order and hope what you communicated shows up on your plate. Again, none of this would have been as big of an issue if we weren't dropping a lot of $ here... The fact that you struggle through an order, didn't really get what you needed, and then pay over $200, it just leaves a bit of a bitter taste in your mouth. Don't get me wrong--we had a great week and enjoyed the property/beach, etc. And it's not like the service was indifferent or didn't try to make you happy--everyone was friendly and they tried hard--they just didn't always deliver. We visited the spa twice on this trip. It was nice, but not excellent. Again, little things were not quite right--no music of any kind because the wiring was not working, no hooks in the lockers--it was a bit awkward at such a nice resort to literally have to put your clothes, shoes, etc. in a pile on the floor of your spa locker. The amenities also could have been a bit better. I was expecting a little more in regards to the waiting room, the pool at the spa, the workout facility, etc. For such a high end place, the spa was only OK. Check out was easy, but before our card was charged, we asked if everything was included, as we didn't see the lunch we had just had on the final bill. The person who checked us out assured us that it was the final amount and all was accounted for. About 15 minutes later, the cab driver on the way to the airport gets a call on his cell phone and says the hotel staff wants to talk to us. They did not add our $80 lunch (which was two simple hamburgers, a coke, and an ice tea--yeah, $80 for that.) and they needed our credit card number. First of all, we just asked about this and were assured all was accounted for--we were just surprised that once the error was discovered, they didn't just eat the cost. Again, a resort at this level should have. I don't want to discourage people from visiting this lovely resort--it really is beautiful. And with a little training and attention to detail, it could be a GREAT place to vacation.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
daniele T, Director of Sales at Eden Roc at Cap Cana, responded to this review, May 24, 2013
Dear Mrs. Jen L,
Thank you for choosing to stay with us. We take all guest feedback very seriously. Our responses are always sincere, and hopefully do not come across as generic.
We went over your comments with our team during our operational meeting yesterday and we have agreed in implementing few of your suggested points to ensure our future guests experience an improved facility. We are always open to ear our guests comments, humbly applying their suggestions when they are helpful to improve our performance.

Mrs. Jen L, I certainly hope that at some point in the future you'll give us another opportunity to make your vacation fully satisfactory. Do not hesitate to contact me directly for any future reservations.
Mr. Daniele Trombacco
Director of Sales & Marketing
d.trombacco@edenroccapcana.com
Chicago, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

We got back today after a 7 night trip to Eden Roc and loved every single second of our trip. We have a 3 year old and my wife and I have been to some incredible places (4 seasons George V Paris, St. Barths, Skylofts Vegas, you catch my drift) and this place was just spot on.

Let me first describe who this is for, this is for a classy families and people who have very busy lives and want the best of the best. If your looking for all inclusive and bungee jumping DO NOT come here.

The layout of the resort is 30+ villas and a restaurant/bar, then you take your private golf cart about 3-5 minutes down the hill to the Caleton beach club where the beach is and another restaurant and the golf area is.

As with all my reviews its easier to break down the categories and rank things out of 5 stars. Grab a wine since this is a long one!

Rooms (5 stars, bathrooms 8 stars): We had originally booked a family suite, but upon arrival saw the 2 bedroom suite (one floor) and upgraded. This was the single handedly the greatest set up you can expect. This is a true VILLA not a hotel room. The website does a horrible job of describing it and pictures (post later) will explain. Our swimming pool was gigantic out back (think about 4-5 people swimming laps), they had about 4 different sections for outdoor seating, I could have thrown a party for 25-30 out there easy. We also upgraded since this had a kitchenette although small it was actually really nice since we could at least make our daughter some simple pasta and keep some wine bottles in the big fridge. They also had all the glassware, pots/pans, and my wife obsessed over the nespresso maker, they also have a selection of 10 teams and a 60 second plug in water boiler for that. Now the actual living and bedrooms were appointed nicely, beds extremely comfortable, they both had 20 foot ceilings which is very cool. The actual drop your jaw moment was in the both identical bathrooms. They had walk in closets with plenty of drawers/hanging space. They had huge/massive Jacuzzi tubs. Not the one you have at home but stone (5 foot deep, fits 6 people tubs) a huge rainshower and handle, then an incredible outdoor shower. I've had outdoor showers before, but this was a beautiful area with bench, stone flooring, garden, etc. So our unit basically had 4 showers and 2 massive Jacuzzis. Also from all parts of the bathroom you can see out to the outdoor shower through a full glass wall so you always felt the indoor/outdoor zen. Ok, bored yet?

Food (5.5 stars): We have travelled to Italy, French Riveria, and live in Chicago (top food all around) we were absolutely stunned by the food quality. The chef is from Milan and the standout dishes were: Red Tuna sashimi (melts in your mouth), gnocci soft like small pillows, linguini with local clams, and the list goes on and on. You will not see a single local item so hope that does not bother you. The breakfast others have mentioned is great, make sure you get fresh coconut water every morning (actual coconut arrives at table with straw!). All of that is complimentary.

Service (4.8 stars): This is a boutique hotel and we went in low season, but again I almost never touched a door handle at the main building. Every staff member called us by name by day 3 and I met two owners and thanked the Chef personally. You come to this size hotel to be treated this way and they truly did. I called the front desk maybe 30 times in 2 days (I'm sort of annoying :)) and they kept saying "its our pleasure". I tipped about 10 people total on our last couple days because they truly were outstanding.

Spa (3 stars): Think of it as a small day spa (2-3 rooms) and really not a place you hangout at. We got 4 treatments and make sure you ask for your massage down at the beach (its 100 times better and complimentary). So, maybe go for a treatment, but this is no real resort spa yet.

Beach Club (4.8 stars): The beach is pure heaven, water so clear and blue, sand softest we have ever felt and clean as anything. They have day beds and loungers (no extra charge like the other damn resorts). The service is fine at the beach and for kids they have some buckets, swing set, and a few things indoor which is nice when getting out of the sun.

NOTES: Koko kids club is very nice and our daughter really enjoyed having a special place for painting and seeing the two parrots. Its actually bigger than I thought. Up to age 6-7 they would really like it.

Also, you need to understand there is NOT a market, gift shop, or anything else on this resort. This is only for you to go from your private pool to the beach, eat lunch/dinner and that's it. Which in the end was totally fine with us since it was perfect on all other levels.

Don't just compare this place to punta cana resorts, start comparing it to the best in the Caribbean. When this resort gets accolades for food/rooms you will have a hard time getting in.

Enjoy my Tripadvisor friends!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
daniele T, Director of Sales at Eden Roc at Cap Cana, responded to this review, June 4, 2013
Dear Monte Chicago,

Thank you for staying with us and for recognizing the efforts of our staff. I will be sure to personally share your kind comments with them.

We thank you for the personalized and enchanting comment, we are here to serve you and to create everlasting memories. We hope to see you soon again!

d.trombacco@edenroccapcana.com
Raleigh, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

I am just returning from a wonderful trip at Eden Roc. This place is unbelievable. The food, staff, rooms, resort, facilities are out of this world. Their service puts a Four Seasons to shame. If you are looking for a relaxing vacation, Eden Roc is the best. The breakfast that was included in way beyond what would you would think of for breakfast. Fresh fruit, meats, cheeses and made to order breakfast. I cant say enough wonderful things about this resort and their staff. Eden Roc, you knocked it out of the park!!!

Room Tip: The rooms are great!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Miami Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

My wife and I decided to take a break this past weekend and she booked a junior suite at Eden Roc Cap Cana. The place is brand new and the accommodations are top of the line. We just stayed 3 nights but wanted to stay more. This is a place that focuses on details and making the whole experience enjoyable. From the moment you arrive you feel taken care of and the place invites you to forget everything else in your mind and just focus on relaxing. Every room has a private pool and the food is very good.

My wife is really picky and has made me change hotels in many trips and she really loved this place.

I would recommend Eden Roc Cap Cana for any occasion, whether is a family trip, a couples retreat or just spending time with friends. We are planning to go back soon.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

My stay at Eden Roc was amazing. I just loved everything about this hotel!

First and foremost, I should mention that at Eden Roc, all rooms are conceived as small, colorful houses with private pools, that surround an artificial lagoon. You feel like you are in a tropical village, where all you can see are flowers, water and color. Each suite is next to each other but far away enough to favor total privacy.

The rooms are huge, bright and luxurious, boasting unbelievably comfortable beds and fancy decor. You can observe attention to detail in every corner. There is even a "Pillow Menu" to satisfy the demands of the pickiest of clients.

I was particularly struck by the size of the bathroom, with his and hers side. Ours had an enormous bathtub, huge closet space and a beautiful back terrace, ideal for massages and body treatments.

Other than the accommodations, the two most important highlights of the hotel are the beach and the golf course. The beach is absolutely gorgeous, with turquoise water and pristine white sand that never heats up. You can actually walk bare feet at all times. Swimming in the ocean was so much fun. My kids and I enjoyed staying in the water for hours, riding waves with our boards and watching the small fish around.

The golf course is absolutely awesome. Designed by Jack Nicklaus, it is one of the most renowned of the Americas.

The quality of the food was over the top. You could choose from several restaurants, including La Palapa, by the beach, where you can have traditional Italian cuisine overlooking the sea, or Mediterraneo, at the hotel lobby, where you can have an elaborate meal at night, while listening to a live band. You can also enjoy a light meal by the main pool or have a snack at the Riva Bar, where there is also nightly entertainment.

The service was extraordinary, probably due to a mixture of amiable Dominican warmth and the efficiency and sophistication of an international staff.

Room service was slow but quite worth it. We loved having the table set for breakfast on our the terrace, overlooking the pool. The entire setting as beautiful as the elegantly appointed table, with its crisp linens and modern silverware.

The kids' club was quite interesting. My children loved spending time at the small palapa, where activities such as kayaking in the lagoon, enjoying manicures and pedicures, watching a movie, coloring or simply playing, were available to kids of all ages. This is a great plus for parents who travel without a nanny.

A series of activities can be done outside of the hotel such as swimming with the dolphins, sailing, boating and scuba diving. However, we couldn't get enough of the beach and never got around to trying any of them.

Last but not least are the gym and the spa, where you can exercise on your own, or request a personal trainer to design you an fitness routine. The spa offers all kinds of treatments, some of which you can also have at the Palapita by the beach, or at your private suite.

Overall, I would totally recommend Eden Roc and hope to come back really soon.

Room Tip: All rooms are huge and beautiful. I guess it all depends on whether or not you prefer to be closer t...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Dear Mr .AWL2013,

Thank you for posting a thorough review on Trip advisor about your recent stay with us. We are delighted to hear of your wonderful experience with our hotel and truly appreciate that you provided an honest and warm opinion. Our aim is to provide all of our guests a unique stay and excellent customer service. We are glad that we met your expectations as we strive to achieve this with everyone that we interact with.

I look forward to welcoming back to Eden Roc at Cap Cana!
DOSM
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

We travel with wife and two kids 5 an 6, the HotelRooms are the more saptious I ever been, decoration is very nice, and the amenities in the room are incredible. But the best was the food and the kids club, usually in this Islans we do not find great restaurants. Both restaurants of the Hotel where excellent, LA Palapa for more casual Lunch or dinner and the Mediterraneo for fine dinning. My childrens usually they do not want to stay in the Kids clubs from the Hotels, at the Koko kids club of the Eden Roc, each morning the run to the Koko kids Club.
We will come back in December.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
daniele T, Director of Sales at Eden Roc at Cap Cana, responded to this review, May 3, 2013
Dear Agusto B,
Thank you for your wonderful review and recommendation! Describing your visit as “best vacation in years” is true high praise and very much appreciated.

Hurry back soon, you home in Cap Cana awaits you and we look forward to welcoming you back for another wonderful vacation!

Director of Sales & Marketing

Been to Eden Roc at Cap Cana? Share your experiences!