My wife and I have been to ~25 all inclusive resorts including 8 trips to the Dominican Republic. We generally stay at 3 star properties relying on the tour companies assessments and Trip Advisor reviews. We realized we did not pay a lot for the Whala resort and we did not expect to be staying at a high end resort but we have paid significantly less in the Puerto Plata and Samana areas and have been very satisfied.
We had never considered transferring to a different hotel until we experienced the Whala and subsequently moved.
The downfalls of the resort are:
- at the breakfast buffet we were informed no made to order omelets were available, then directed to the buffet bar were we received cold scrambled eggs(food safety implications) and some kind of sausage that was dried out at 7:30 am when it first opened. Later in the morning the omelet station was operating.
- the beach snack bar served cold food from the limited menu
- air conditioner could not effectively cool the room
- the food selections at the buffet are limited and not kept at proper temperatures
- no brewed coffee !!!!!! in a country that has some of the best coffee in the world the Whala has a machine that dispenses a terrible concentrated mixture
- there is a sewer smell at times around the pool areas
- there are approximately 20 lounger chairs in total in pool areas
- 6oz drink cups resulting in very strong mixed drinks
- the beach area is small and the chairs are crammed together like on a cruise ship
The hotel did have positive points such as the front desk staff and the location in Bavaro is in a small shopping district with grocery stores and restaurants within a few hundred feet. The beach in the general area is quite nice.
In general we found the food marginal at best and the overall resort to be well below standards of any all inclusive resort we have ever been to. Frankly I do not understand how our formerly trusted tour company could sell this product. If you want a budget priced vacation go to the Puerto Plata or Samana areas. The beach may not be as impressive as the Punta Cana beaches but the resorts are far superior in food quality and accommodations.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Rooms and apartments. 30 double rooms and 6 apartments under German management. Accommodation: All rooms are equipped with bathroom, shower, safe, air condition, ceiling fan, Cable TV, Mini Bar. The Hotel features a swimming pool and sunbeds. For our Guests we offer free wireless internet access in our lobby. Security 24/7. Location: Located in the center of Los Corales de Bavaro with unlimited access to all the sun, beach, shopping and dining in Bavaro. Our Hotel Beach Club is only 30 meters walking distance. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Tingo, Booking.com, Despegar.com, Agoda, Odigeo and TripOnline SA so you can book your whala!bavaro reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Alisios Bavaro Beach Hotel
- Hotel Alisios Bavaro Beach