“Just came back.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of whala!bavaro

You added whala!bavaro to your Saves list
whala!bavaro
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   El Cortecito | Bávaro, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic (Formerly Alisios Bavaro Beach Hotel)   |
Ranked #54 of 101 Hotels in Punta Cana
“Just came back.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW via mobile

Always wanted to visit Bavaro as we had already been to Santo Domingo and Puerto Plata in the past years. Well the rooms are large and nice with good working air con and the pool is super nice. Staff assisted us with everything and on our last day they arranged all our taxi back to the airport. Best place to relax.

• Stayed November 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Polish first
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We found this an excellent hotel, with friendly staff and a warm welcome on our arrival.

- freshly decorated room
- relaxed, personable staff
- nice to have a choice of restaurants and bar
- sandy beaches

Thank you for the professional service, good food and clear communication.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple
Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Booked a suite and it was clean, spacious and comfortable. On the whole it is a well run and well maintained hotel; helpful, nice staff that managed to be make this special for us.
It's very close to the beach, stores and places to eat. There is a shuttle bus if you are feeling lazy but it's all in walking distance.
The selection at breakfast is generous and we enjoyed some meals alfresco in the evening.
The location is safe and we had no worries about coming home later on. We loved the simple yet comfortable style here and the place is totally about relaxing and taking it easy.
The facilities were good, A/C was quiet when on, nice central pool with large terrace and green grounds.
This resort is authentic and comes recommended.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Jacksonville
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I stayed just one night here. The resort was spotless and the bed was comfortable, the food was good. The problems started when they put me in the back building with no phone. Each time I had an issue I had to walk back through the property to the front desk where the mosquitoes had a field day on my ankles. The remote for the air conditioner had a dead battery, back to the desk. The replacement did not turn on the air conditioning, back to the desk. The desk was empty, left me standing their 20 minutes. I opened the door behind the desk and the guy was eating...he ignored the bell. The front desk clerk came to the room and turned on the breaker in the closet, it was off. Why? Shower had no water pressure. trickled out no hot water. Checked out.

Room Tip: No wi fi in the rooms unless you paid $10:00 dollars for the common areas only. Ripped off
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled solo
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Went with my boyfriend for 10 nights and we had a nice time. We had the option of many different hotels but we picked this one because it was priced good and we didn't want a mega large hotel. Staff are all very happy at this hotel and always want to speak to you and in general helpful.

The room we had was basic but cleaned to perfection and they left the room always clean for us despite all the sand we was bringing to the room after coming back from the beach.

The are a large number of places to visit nearby the hotel and some are better than others but prices between one restaurant and another can be very large so always check the prices before going to the restaurants. President beer is the local beer and it is fairly cheap every where but other brands are more expensive.
We loved the easy location of the hotel for the beach and had a great holiday.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Redditch, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

My husband had booked this as a surprise and organised everything, didn't know he had it in him! I have always wanted to come to The Dominican Republic so was thrilled to arrive. Tropical even at the airport, the hotel and beach location was killer. Nice friendly and relaxed the staff made us feel welcome and even though we don't speak Spanish we had no barriers. The room was unfussy and clean, we were near the pool with the lovely gardens all around. So happy to find that the beach was as good as the best pictures on any brochure! Only got a bit of hassle from the sellers but they are trying to make a living so I am a bit of a sucker. A stunning place, this was the best surprise I've ever had and could get used to it. The food was good too, again much of it buffet style but they did change the meals at night. We walked to the local pizza place on a recommendation from another guest and yes it was very good. A real Island feel in and around this location and the beach area would be hard to better. Loved my time here, who knows I might be lucky enough to come back one day.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Kitchener, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We stayed at the Whala in April 2014 and I am still pondering the experience.

I obsessively watched the mixed reviews - we were looking for something quaint - more absorbed into the culture but still nice enough to meet the holiday expectation. So I took the plunge and booked the Whala....my sister and her boyfriend followed suit and booked shortly after us......

As the shuttle from the airport backed into the Whala (yes, backed in) I started to have doubts. The check in although smooth was less than friendly. My husband and I had a safe with a combination lock, but my sister and her partner were given the skeleton key......hence the discrepancy in posts.

We had booked a Junior Suite at pool three but days before we arrived they literally bricked off that portion of the hotel (where the figure 8 pool is). It may be open now, but when we were there it was not. Sadly, this area is why we booked there. We were given room 212 - above the a la carte restaurant. This was considered a partial ocean view room. If you looked hard between the building and trees, you could see the ocean...anyways the room ended up suiting us just fine.

The beach is a two minute walk, which was no big deal to us. It was actually closer than beaches at most monster resorts. Didn't like being harassed on the beach....and followed....the guys on the beach are paid a commission if they walk you into a shop and you buy. So as soon as you leave the security of your hotel beach (which they are not allowed on), you are harassed. Didn't like that. But back to the hotel.

There was absolutely nothing doing at the hotel. Which ended up making for a "forced" relaxed vacation. Don't worry about bringing nice clothes...not needed. There was only the one buffet open, which was dismal, but I can eat anything.....so I was fine. One of our group was diabetic, so not so great for him. Coffee....OMG the absolute WORST! Thankfully there is a café up the street which we frequented numerous times throughout the day (no coffee maker in either of our rooms).

With all that said - they did say they were renovating, so maybe it is better now! Regardless, after lots of laughs and meeting up with some great people, it ended up being one of my fav vacations. Go figure....hence the title of this post.

I will have to say....the back up signal of the bus was our cue for entertainment. We loved watching the faces of the people who got off the bus....priceless!

Make it your own vacation if you choose this hotel. It can go either way....it is up to you. BTW, final comment, the pizza place up the street is fantastic......definitely make the trip (5 minute walk - to the left away from the beach).

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to whala!bavaro? Share your experiences!