“Good place to get some down time.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of whala!bavaro

You added whala!bavaro to your Saves list
whala!bavaro
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   El Cortecito | Bávaro, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic (Formerly Alisios Bavaro Beach Hotel)   |
Ranked #66 of 99 Hotels in Punta Cana
Cork, Ireland
“Good place to get some down time.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2014

Spent a week with my wife here for a short break. We needed some time to ourselves to relax and found this hotel and location ideal for that. On the beach so no walking or taxis needed to chill out with great views. Take a book and some decent tunes and you'll lose track of time like we did. Hotel itself is not super modern by today's standards but it is well looked after and clean and the staff are very amicable. Nice small pool and the food was fresh and pretty varied. A good price and great location.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2014

After a rough 6 months we really needed some time out. This seemed to be a good deal so booked for a week. My wife usually does the picking as far as hotels are concerned so it was all down to me. The resort was smaller than the usual places we stay and the room was generous. It is on the side of basic rather than deluxe but it was ok everything considered. Room cleaners and linen change during our stay. My plan of a beach holiday to read and let the worries slip away happened with not much fuss. A good deal, for a good feel. Recommended for simple tastes.

Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2014

The best views and location you could ask for. Very friendly hotel and food and drinks all tasted good. Room was slightly dated but we´re not into modern minimalistic things so it suited us down to the ground. Cleaners came in and gave us clean towels and sheets and cleaned the room and bathroom very well. Very nice pool which we used a few times but we mostly just lay on the beautiful beach. Came home very relaxed and would go back here any time.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2014

I have seen the mixed reviews people have written. Some love it, some don't. I knew what to expect, so when I got out of the van, it was what I wanted. My friends and I loved the location. I opted for a superior room with the all inclusive portion. I was surprised to find the food to my liking, although I am not a foodie, but my friends are. They enjoyed the food and the drinks. The buffet had different choices and there was something for everyone. Every morning there was a chef making omelettes. While we were there, the other restaurant, Dominicano opened Thursday, Friday and Sunday. Once again the food was good. There was a $17.00 charge for the lobster, which was fair because it was much more expensive at other places. On the beach, there was a hut where a cook would cook either chicken or hamburgers. My friend liked the burgers but I liked the chicken because it was marinated daily. The beach was small but there were many loungers, with no one having to put a towel to keep them. I truly enjoyed my stay at the Whala Bavaro. It is not for everyone because it is a budget resort, but for less than $42.00 a day with food and drinks, it cannot be beat. The staff, especially Miguel and the housekeeper, I can't remember name were wonderful. I would go back to Whala because it is the perfect size and price. The room was large enough for three beds with room to walk around. Yes we had to pay $15.00 for the use of the safe, the cost was split by three and yes we had to pay for the internet $30.00 for the week, but all of us used it. Well more me than my friends. I did want to see the apartments on the beach, yes the apartments are on the beach, but they were all full. All and all a good vacation and good stay.

Room Tip: Rooms near the back of the second pool were surprising quiet. My room was 3110.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Algarve, Portugal
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2014

Before we go we read everything here but the price was very attractive to ignore and the location sounded too good so we make our reservation and we said we will spend most time outside the hotel so if the room is clean we are happy. when we come to the hotel, we get a big surprise because the hotel is nice and the location is very very good and the room was very clean and smell fresh. so I am not now sure why some people say bad things. may be they want 6 stars hotels but want to pay 3 stars.
We spend 7 nights in the hotel and i think 7 or 8 nights is good in this area but domincan republic has much more things to see and staying in santo domingo also has it special places to see. So we say stay in this area for one week and spend 4 nights in santo domingo but be careful you dont go to the bad areas of the city!

Regina, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2014

My girlfriend and I stayed at this "resort" at the beginning of March 2014. We travel a lot and this so called "resort" was the worst I have ever seen! It claimed free internet and safes but they charge, and the safe comes with a skeleton key, and we were worried that any staff member could open it and we were right! Over 1000 usd were taken a 1000.00 watch and a camera! The rooms stunk to high heaven and every thing in them were falling apart literally! The beds were just box springs! Rooms were filthy, air never worked, and the reason I say rooms is because we got moved 3 times!!!! The staff was the most rude and ignorant I have ever met, and when we told them about issues they didn't care and called us liars! We even caught a Cpl employees in our room going though stuff! Any time any one needed something from the front desk the staff was rude and complained and would just walk away! The food was so discusting cockroaches every where around hotel and IN the buffet! We along with 90% or more of the ppl we met there all got food poisoning to varies degrees! and 98% of the ppl we met there all were sickened by this resort and couldn't wait to leave it! The pictures online look nothing like this place! The staff doesn't understand or speak English hardly! Food and drinks were horrible! The beach was filthy littered with garbage, homeless ppl stray dogs every where on there beach area, bottles, broken glass every where in the sand! Even used condoms all over there beach and at there dump of a beach bar, and that's cause there one and only bartender at night would go across the to the other side of the bar where it was dark and have sex with the drunk Russian girls every night! The only night staff was 1 bartender and one so called security on the street! Friends we made there were mugged righted out side the entrance which was wide open! To go along with the terrible resort the air transat rep that looked after that property didn't give a care about it and told me in 7 yrs he had only gone there 2 times and said it was terrible place to stay and he always moves ppl to other resorts! He also said most of the positive reviews are put online by the owners/staff of Whala! The only ppl that seemed to not have problems with this place were the drunk Russian girls! The staff also would sit around at night and creep on any females that they could get alone! The staff also tried to sell us drugs over and over! Also not a beach front hotel as they claim!, they own a tiny piece of beach 1-2 blocks away from the rooms. Rooms have no alarm clocks or phone for wake up calls, out of 7 days we got 2 wake up calls to our door and missed 2 excursions! Avoid avoid avoid at all costs! I would say you get what you pay for but you dont get anything at all out of this hotel and there staff Guests made jokes the whole time we were there like" this hotel has a star let alone 3"! I met locals there who own businesses there and they told us there are 5 properties to avoid and Whala was definitely one of them! Also told from them aswell as travel agent reps that they had to rename the property a Cpl yrs ago to get away from the terrible reputation!

Room Tip: Avoid this dump of a hotel!
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2014

We have just returned from a wonderful two week vacation at whala!bavaro. I booked this accommodation on the previous reviews and found it charming. The place is kept super clean and has a great pool area. Punta Cana is fantastic it has a constant warm breeze and things to do if you enjoy getting busy, Island boat trips, or just simply relax and chill out on the beach. Considering the amazing beach location, very friendly staff and reasonable rooms this is not a luxury hotel. We felt in line with the simple ethics of the place and it was a cool change to our busy non stop lives. Happy with our choice. Would go back for sure.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family

Been to whala!bavaro? Share your experiences!