“12 Fantastic Days.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of whala!bavaro

Save Saved
You added whala!bavaro to your Saves list
whala!bavaro
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   El Cortecito | Bávaro, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic (Formerly Alisios Bavaro Beach Hotel)   |
Ranked #53 of 100 hotels in Punta Cana
Edmonton, Canada
“12 Fantastic Days.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

My husband and I had 12 days at this hotel just and we loved it and we don´t understand the bad comments. It has a lovely location and when you arrive you immediately feel lucky to be there! The staff gave us a great welcome and checked us in quickly and we got a very nice room which was bigger than the usual standard hotel room, not sure whether it was a suite, but it was nice. It is a clean and well laid out hotel. Nice gardens and greenery everywhere and of course the beautiful beach just outside. We went away mainly to get some peace and quiet for ourselves before the mad festive season back home and we certainly got it! I got through 2 new books and totally chilled out most days just hanging round the hotel and pool or the beach. It is a hotel that you can be yourself in and no need for airs and graces, which was exactly what we liked. We ate well, met some other very nice people and probably drank a few too many cocktails!

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

251 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
  • Polish first
Hawkesbury, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

Here it goes....A/C..didnt work, patio door wouldnt lock, bathroom ceiling was leaking and falling in. So we upgraded to a suite for $40/night. Well worth it I guess. A few problems in the suite jacuzzi didnt work shower hose busted ceiling leaked a bit toilet had a tough time flushing. All were fixed VERY slowly !! FOOD... very limited and never hot always warm to cold. Pork chops three nights were the main course. Two times I took pork chops and were barely half cooked third time i didnt bother. No hamburger or hotdog buns.. processed hamburger patties were disghusting.First morning no eggs or bread "technical diffulcties" the ran outta gas/propane.Bacon every three days if you were lucky and very under cooked. Custome service was not great customer CARE was no exhistant. One entertaining evening a man climbed up on the lobby desk and lied down and said "you wont fix my leak over my bed so i will sleep right here" they said to him we have no rooms left except suites and you have to pay extra. I was at a loss for words at that answer. I'm a firm believer that you get what you pay for but that is not the case here at all. This dump is a 2.5 star at best. there was a constant stream of people at the lobby desk with problems. I think the management limits what the desk clerks can do..NADDA.
Zero nightly entertainment. If you do have to go because you booked already there are a few close restaurants that are good..pizzeria around the corner called "le petit jardin" great food and service and great prices.Also a great bakery just up the street. the beach is about a 2 min walk.
I have travelled the world on a budget and this place is not worth the frustration that a few extra hundred bucks can solve. PLEASE dont waste your hard earned money !! A guy i met from sweden said good thing I didnt fly 11 hours to get here for the food !!

Room Tip: if ya gotta go updrade to a suite
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Stockholm, Sweden
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

This is our first time in Punta Cana but we have previously stayed in Puerto Plata so we knew what is to be expected and there was no surprises. Room was nice and the beach is very close. The food was some days better than others and overall we felt happy for what we paid. I think customer service was one of the better things Whala offered and we felt at home. We had a week of sun and swim and relaxation.

Nanaimo, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

This hotel is adequate. If you want an affordable place to stay and don't mind a walk to the beach and basic food, this is for you. If you want to be pampered and have lots of variety stay somewhere else. We stayed here for 2 nights between Christmas and New Year's. The clientele was mostly Russian and French Canadian.

We had a room that was quite far from reception; I think we were upgraded to a suite which was very nice. The room itself was very clean although the maintenance left little be to be desired. The shower provided little more than a dribble of water and all of the fixtures were barely functional at best. The water itself - GROSS. It's so full of sulfur (I think) that it stinks like rotten eggs and if you accidentally get some in your mouth while you're showering you'll think you're in the ocean. I came out of the shower feeling dirtier than when I went in. The reception staff ensured me that the water was perfectly clean (though not potable - don't drink it) but it was pretty much impossible for me to get past that stench every time I turned on the tap. We didn't try the massive jacuzzi in our room but it looked like it would be nice IF there was nice water to bathe in, which there wasn't.

The place seemed pretty under-staffed while we were there but what staff there was were all trying hard and always had a smile on their faces. The "waiters" in the restaurant seemed to be people they hired off the street that day as most were wearing jeans and t-shirts with the exception of the "chef" who was wearing a uniform. The service in the restaurant was dismal, if you weren't there waiting when it opened for each meal you were lucky to get any food as it wasn't really replenished when the dishes were empty. Tables weren't cleared so guests would clear things off themselves and a huge stack of dirty dishes would develop on one table or another. The food was all overcooked and of very poor quality.

We may or may not stay here again. Everything was just "adequate" but the water thing was really off-putting. That being said, the price was about half of what any other hotel in Punta Cana was charging for the period. If you just need a place to sleep and a couple of meals you'll probably be fine. If you want a week-long vacation with lots of activities and things to go on site...pay more and go elsewhere.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

We stayed at this wonderful hotel for 10 nights and really enjoyed it. The beachside location is exactly what we had been looking for and we chose this hotel as it was not too big and was also a very good price! The difference between booking B & B or all-inclusive was minimal so we went for all-inclusive and it was great. Very good selection of food with hot and cold dishes and a different variety every day. We stayed in a suite for 2 people which was brightly decorated and clean and quite a good size. I especially enjoyed the private balcony overlooking the garden. All the staff here are superb and are always smiling and the bar man knew our names by the second day. We spent most of our time enjoying the beach and going for walks but did do the swimming with dolphins and stingrays, which had always been something I had wanted to do. It is very relaxing and a laid back place and I would like to go back one day and discover more of the island. Enjoyed every minute!

Madrid, Spain
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Our second time in Punta Cana and first time at this hotel and it was all very good for the money we payed.The room was large and nice and caribbean and the usual beautifull beach that we expected.All inclusive was good and different every day with fish, meat and chicken and lot of fruit.It has air conditioning in the room and it was working very nice.Hotel is not new but it was very clean and comfortable.The people from Domican are very happy people and friendly at this hotel and also outside always and always dancing meringue.

Detroit, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

We were staying in Santo Domingo but wanted to make a trip over to Punta Cana to see what the beaches were like over that way. We booked a last minute hotel via expedia, I booked a double room which included breakfast for what seemed like an ok rate of 68$ (incl tax). Then when we got to the hotel (after a 3 hour drive from Santo Domingo) we were told that we'd have to pay another 30$ due to the room only being booked for 1 person. I guess this must have been my mistake as it was booked last minute, I was sure it said 2 people when I booked it, but the reservation from expedia said only 1 person. I asked the hotel reception staff why we would need to pay for an extra person if it is a double room (my partner and I both agreed that we would forego breakfast if that was the reason) - but they insisted we had to pay another 30$.
I'm very annoyed by this as I would not have booked the hotel if I knew I'd be paying over 100$.
PEOPLE WATCH OUT when you book!

Other than this the accomodation was so-so. The rooms were clean and ok. TV a bit old and picture not very good. Air con worked well. However there was a bit of a sewer smell around the pool area.

Also for the extra 30$ we paid...the breakfast was really NOT worth it. Very small buffet selection. Most of the hot food was quite greasy and there were flys around the cold stuff.

But if you manage to get a good rate here...then I would say it is an acceptable hotel for a short stay.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to whala!bavaro? Share your experiences!