“Great the 2nd Time Around!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Punta Cana Princess All Suites Resort & Spa

Save Saved
You added Punta Cana Princess All Suites Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Punta Cana Princess All Suites Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playas de Bavaro, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #43 of 100 Hotels in Punta Cana
East Amherst, New York
“Great the 2nd Time Around!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

I'm a little late writing this review, but still wanted to contribute! I stayed at this resort for the 2nd time for a week during April.

Check in is a breeze and they greet you with a nice cocktail when you arrive.

The property is absolutely beautiful and we noticed the maintenance workers constantly trimming and planting to keep the grounds looking fantastic.

Rooms are definitely dated, but we never spend much time in the room, so it doesn't bother me. They are clean and the fridge is always well stocked with pop, beer, water! I hear the hotel is going to be remodeling the rooms, so that is a HUGE plus and will have me coming back in the future!

Restaurants are excellent and I love not having to make reservations for dinner. They also rotate which ones are open at night, so pay attention to the restaurant boards so you can visit each one of them during your stay!

Pool was extremely crazy while we were there! It was the first time I've ever stayed at a hotel and had to wake up before 6am in order to get a chair. Yes, I did say 6am. Despite having the "rule" that states, no saving chairs, people were reserving chairs before the sun was up. Here's my feeling on that. I don't mind if you want to get up that early to reserve your chair, but you better be there all day long. It really sucks when you are trying to find a chair by the pool and notice towels on them, but you don't see people using them until the afternoon! I noticed SEVERAL people abusing this. They would put towels down, head to the beach and you wouldn't see them until late in the afternoon. Jeez...

Pool was in need of a paint job, but still refreshing and the pool bar was always ready to serve up cocktails. One issue with the pool bar... We had a group that would consistently sit on the bar making it extremely difficult to swim up and get a drink. I was surprised the staff did not say anything. I don't know about you, but I don't want to have to touch the bar where someones wet bottom was sitting... gross.

Staff was AWESOME as usual! Always trying to get you involved, but were not pushy if you didn't want to participate. Also loved that they tolerated me "practicing" my Spanish haha!

Overall, I love this place! I teach high school, so when I go on vacation, I love the fact that I can come here and not deal with kids AT ALL. Definitely recommend for anyone looking to have a nice quiet, relaxing vacation!

Room Tip: Ask for a room in building 4 or 5!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Management-BavaroP, Community Manager at Punta Cana Princess All Suites Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Dear Guest,

We are glad to know that you have had a most pleasant stay in our Hotel. Thank you for your words concerning our staff, which is extremely important to us. It motivates and inspires us to continue to welcome our guests the correct way.

We would really appreciate if you could keep us informed of your next visit. It will be a pleasure to host you once again.

Kind regards and keep practicing your Spanish! =)

Your Punta Cana Princess Family!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (477)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Jupiter, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

My girlfriend and I visited this property from July 11-15, 2013. We found the property to be clean; the food was very good in all the restaurants; most of the staff very friendly. The beach was absolutely gorgeous! On the negative side of things - this property is in need of some TLC in the maintenance area - pool needing resurfacing, lounge chairs broken, etc.... There was no poolside or beachside beverage or food service - we had to get up and go to the bar areas for our drinks. There were inconsistencies with mixed drinks from one bar to the other. We found the peddlers both on the beach and on the property to be annoying. We visited its sisters properties and found them to be comparable. The dance talent in the show was just average. Also, there is no designated smoking areas, except in the main buffet dining room, so if you are a non-smoker be prepared. Coming from the USA we were not used to this, especially on the beach and in the restaurants. We were only allotted one very thin white bath towel and hand towel per person - no washcloth and the pillows were extremely thin, so one person would need to use two. We got a great deal for our 4 day stay, but this is definitely not a five star property.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

We regret to learn that your stay was not up to your expectations, for which we would like to present our sincere apologies for any inconvenience.

Your observations and opinions are appreciated, as they enable us to assess the standard of our facilities and services and monitor our success in meeting guests needs and expectations.

Feedback is always important as it is a vital way of reviewing the level of service and facilities we provide our guests so as to make improvements.

Best regards,

Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

My friend & I were there the 2nd week of July 2013. It is slow season so there was no waiting for anything. The resort is maybe 1/2 full. Pool & beach chairs are always open. It is very hot & humid then but well worth it not fighting a crowd. Driving from airport took about 45 min due to stopping at 2 other resorts from our shared transportation. Driving is crazy here, no stop signs or traffic lights. When arriving we were handed a tropical drink while we checked in. Our room was on the 1st floor, 2 dbl beds, sunken mini living area, flat screen TV, lots of dressers/drawers, mini stocked fridge, 2 robes to use, safe in closet, umbrella, fruit basket, bottle of rum, beach towels, nice patio with sm table & 2 chairs. Yes the room does have a slight smell to it & dampness, but your in the tropics, it's to be expected. The A/C worked fine & we kept the ceiling fan on all the time. There is a hair dryer, bottles of shampoo, bath wash, glasses, soap, etc. a magnified mirror on an extension arm to put on makeup/shave. The water pressure is great, but note you can NOT drink water out of sink, use bottled water for teeth, etc.
OK now to show good & bad:

GOOD: The beach is AWSOME, large, where you can walk in either direction for a long ways. The sand is so soft & in the ocean it's the same. There are waves since your on the Atlantic side, but nothing bad, we enjoyed jumping them.
The pool is large, great & not cold. There are 2 areas where it gradually walks in (like a beach) so it's easy to get in & out. The volleyball area in the pool was always being used. The pool bar is nice & bartenders friendly.
The landscaping is beautiful & they are always working on it.
The 4 a-la-cart restaurants are pretty good & 3 have A/C. You can eat at them anytime & as many times as you want w/ no reservations. They are very small, but we liked it that way. The buffet was OK, lots of choices & we never left hungry.
The staff is friendly & always say hello. Knowing some Spanish would be very helpful, we did not & did fine.
If you turn left on the beach & walk about 8 minutes there are about 10 vendor shacks you can buy misc. souvenirs & barter with the guys. Do not buy at the resort, prices are high.
They plan on starting a huge renovation in Aug., I can't imagine this place even better.

BAD: The entertainment staff is awful, they are the same people as the activity staff during the day. The shows are in the main lobby where there is no air movement. It's like camp staff week.
During the day, the so called planned activities rarely happened. We were looking forward to the daily water aerobics but they only happened once. They come out every day & dance the same dance to the same song. I guess I should take in the fact it is slow season so there are not a lot of people there to participate. Plus I am not there to be entertained.
The buffets have a different theme every night, which is good, but on Dominican night the vendors are VERY PUSHY! Say NO & keep walking.
It's amazing how some people from other countries can be so rude.

TIPS:
Wear flips flops around pool deck, the cement gets VERY HOT.
Bring a float, raft, noodle etc. to float around in pool.
Bring a xlg. insulated type cup w/ lid to have your drinks made in.
Tip the workers, they work hard on very little pay.
If you eat in the lg. buffet, go late when it's cooler.
Bring lots of sunscreen, it cost about $25 a bottle there.
Where a hat, our scalps got burnt & hurt.
Know some Spanish!!!
Try a Banana Mama & the Coco Loco drinks!! YUM!!
Enjoy this place, it's paradise!
I would for sure return.

Room Tip: We loved the 1st floor since there is no elevator. Building 4 or 5 is best. 3rd floor has vaulted...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

We welcome your comments on TripAdvisor and your confidence in Punta Cana Princess. We are truly delighted to hear that you had enjoyed your overall stay with us. We want to communicate that we will work on the rest of details you described to improve our services.

Thank you once again for posting your review and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Regards,

Saint Louis, Missouri, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

This resort met all of our expectations, and exceeded many of them. For your convenience, I will list eachexpectation in detail:

Pool:

The pool was clean and situated at the center of all hotel rooms, which was nice becuase it made it a central place to be. Although it has some wear and tear, this does not take away from the experience. The swim-up bar is great and is situated at the center of the pool, therefore, you are at teh center of the excitement while there. The servers are, for the most part, friendly. If you tip early in your stay, you will receive better service without question. There are entertainers that organize and commentate drinking games and pool games every day, so it's always a fun place to be.

Beach:

The beach is beautiful and clean. There are security guards that walk it daily and nightly, thereby minimizing the foot traffic of locals attempting to hassle you. As a result, it is very safe. There is plenty of seating, however, if you want covered/shaded seating it is difficult to come by. There are roped off areas where you swim without worry of coral or seaweed. If you walk to the left about 300 yeards, there is some excellent shallow water snorkeling just off the beach. Look for the low hanging "photo tree" that hangs out almost over the water, and head out from there to find it. If you walk another few hundred yards down, there is a real cool market right on the water. Beware, however, the vendors are so overly aggressive that it is annoying and almost offensiive. Bottom line though - walk away. Whatever they tell you the cost is, slash it by 60-75% and that's what you can get it for. You just have to walk away, and after you are 2 steps out the door they will call you back and settle.

Room:

The room is clean and the housekeepers friendly. Again, tip early and you will be better served. Our room was very large for a standard room. Request the top floor and you will have elevated ceilings that add to the grandeur. All rooms look inward over the resort and have a balcony. For a view of the pool, request Building 5 first, then 4. Buildings 1-3 are further from the pool and beach. Room is stocked with soda and water daily.

Drinks:

I stayed at the Iberostar Riviera Maya last year and let me tell you, despite how much my family likes to drink, we had difficulty finding ANYTHING good to drink. Everything was loaded down with corn syrup, mixers weren't good, and the only beer available was low grade. This is not the case here, though! The drinks are excellent. Upon request, you can get higher shelved liquor like Jack and Beam. The mixed drinks are very good and bartenders will pour as much alcohol as you want in each. By far the best drink is the "Banana Mama." They blend an entire banana with pina collada mix and grenedine up for 2 drinks, so with each drink you are essentially consuming half a banana. Talk about hangover prevention! You can also get as much bottled water as you would like at all bars. There is a bar in the lobby, 2 bars on the beach, and a swim-up bar...plenty of options!

Excursions:

Excursions are readily available and relatively affordable. The average is about $100 per person per excursion. There are excursion vendors on the beach who will haggle you, but the safer option is to set them up through the excursion reps at the front desk area. I highly recommend the Marine Park excursion, which is a floating bar area out half mile or so from the shore. Within the park they have enclosures within which you can swim with sharks and rays. Around said enclosures you have phenomenal shallow water snorkeling. Other excursions we did were dune boogies for $90 each (worth it), and a Pirate Booze Cruise. There is also a PADI certified water sports shack on the beach...there you can set up snorkeling tours andeven get poolcertified for SCUBA. I am certified but my girlfriend is not, however, she was able to train in the pool for an hour, then we booked a 2-dive day trip to Catalina Island, which also included a beach lunch of pork, chicen, and lobster (at an additional fee). She received special attention from the Divemasters on her first dive, and was on her own the 2nd. Very cool option, $185 each.

Food:

The food is all in all not bad. There are 2 buffets that are open for all meals. They are the only breakfast options. We found the breakfast food better the earlier we ate. The fruit is amazingly sweet and fesh, as are the vegetables. Eggs, Milk and meats not so much, at the buffets at least. For dinner, however, there are 4 restaurant options at this resort, and none require reservations: seafood, italian, fondue, and tex-mex. All are decent, but needless to say seafood is the best. All require closed toe shoes and long slacks/jeans for men. There are 2 adjacent Princess resorts that most people's wristbands had access to. You have the option of dining at any of those restaurants, so long as you make the reservations a day ahead of time. Those restaurants include Italian, Mexican (excellent), Dominican (disappointing), Brazilian (okay), and Chinese. Ultimately, there is food enough for everyone to eat. Lunch options are buffet only; however, every 3 days they do a beach BBQ that is phenomenal.

Service:

Most employees are friendly, which sets a hotel apart from its competition. There were a few with whom we were unimpressed, but ultimately the service exceeded expectations. As I said, if you tip, you will see the reward. The same employees work 6 days a week and rotate throughout the different bars and restaurants, so they see you a lot and vice versa. We tipped regularly to those that served us well, and we could see the repercussions of such tipping. The last night, we were brough an off-the-menu fresh lobster plate from one of the primary servers with whom we had communicated the previous 6 days. Tipping, of course, is not necessary being that the resort is all-inclusive. But I recommend it. Just like bartenders, servers, cooks and housekeepers in the American service industry, these people support work for and appreciate tips.

Have fun! I am an experienced all-inclusive traveler, and I'll be honest—it will be difficult for me to book with any other hotel if I ever rerturn to Punta Cana.

Room Tip: Building 5 is closest to the ocean and the pool. Top floor has vaulted ceilings.
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for choosing to stay at Punta Cana Princess and for taking the time to post this wonderful review. We are really happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. It was indeed our pleasure to have you as our guests and hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.

Best regards,

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

our 2nd time here and no disappointments. All the people who work here are just terrific, they all greet you with a smile and a friendly attitude. We agree that the vendors can be annoying but only if you let them, a firm polite no does the job. The food at the buffet is always good and the restaurants are a nice change, don't forget long pants guys. For $25 the lobster is a good deal, I had it before and wasn't impressed but this time it was awesome with smaller tails and some shrimp.
We were on the top floor of building 5 which is probably the nicest place to be, overlooking the pool and a glimpse if beach. It rained maybe 4 nights and there is something very relaxing about the sound of rain on the roof. I would suggest mailing the hotel 3-4 weeks before arrival to request a room, I have done this 2 times and always been happy.
Another suggestion: tip these folks, they work long hours and most have to travel an hour or more to get there. I get a couple hundred in ones and we get treated like royalty with extra towels, pillows etc. It makes for a pleasant stay and really doesn't hurt finances.
A shout out to Louis at the beach bar who always had a couple fresh mangos ready for us, Louis with room service who did just everything, Emmilio in the lobby bar who can make the grinch smile, and Hector at check in, 5 min and the rooms are ready. If you can't relax here you probably can't relax anywhere.
We'll be back!!!!!!

• Stayed July 2013
Dear Guest,

We are delighted to learn that you enjoyed your recent stay at Punta Cana Princess and would like to thank you for taking the time to write about your experience here on Tripadvisor.

Kind regards,

Your Punta Cana Princess Family!
Yonkers
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

I spent a relaxing, completely stress-free week in this resort. It is both my and my husband's intention to return. The staff was extremely gracious and accommodating. On one particular evening at the buffet where the theme for the night was Dominican fare, I commented to one of the waiters that they didn't have "mofongo," a typical Dominican dish. He immediately went to the executive chef sharing my observation, and the executive chef came to my table apologizing and saying he would gladly make mofongo for me the following day.

An added bonus to the resort, and one which I'll look for in future resorts, is the adult only feature. The minimum age at the resort is 18 years. My husband and I are in our fifties, parents and not that far removed from the days when we traveled with our children. But when you spend one week in a tropical resort without the background sounds and noises made by young children, then you'll truly know what relaxation is.

The rooms were nicely appointed; but, as noted by the previous reviewer, if you want washcloths, you need to ask for them. The pool has two wade-in entries, which is pleasant. The beds by both the pool and beach are the epitome of relaxation!

The rice and beans by the beach restaurant, Mare Nostrum, are like home cooked. All the restaurants offered good food.

I look forward to my return to this resort.

Room Tip: Building number 5 is the closest to the beach, Mare Nostrum, and right in front of the pool. But th...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Management-BavaroP, Community Manager at Punta Cana Princess All Suites Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your nice review. It was a pleasure to host you and it is a great satisfaction to know that you were fully satisfied.

We hope to see you again very soon.

Kind regards,

Memphis, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

My husband, myself and 5 other couples traveled to Punta Cana for our annual couples retreat. Being the hotel snob that I am, I had read reviews on TripAdvisor about this resort up until the day we left. I was a little hesitant about staying at the Punta Cana Princess because of the low price and some of the negative comments on here. Fortunately, I was out voted when the group made a decision about the hotel. Our stay was wonderful.

Rooms
The rooms are not as dated as everyone lets on. To me, the decor was that of a tropical destination and less of the modern dark wood expensive look most other hotels are going for. There was plenty of room and the room was kept exceptionally clean. At check in, I asked for a room on the upper level so I could hear the rain (per a review I read on tripadvisor) and it was worth EVERY extra stair I had to take throughout the trip. The rain on the roof in the middle of the night made my sleep wonderful. Tip: You have to ask for washcloths if you want them.

I am a self proclaimed foodie and was on the verge of being upset after our first meal at Mare Norstrum on our first night. We missed breakfast the next morning and by lunch I was sure I would go home 10 lbs lighter. Then we found the buffet. OMG! The grilled chicken and beans and rice at Mare Norstrum are EXCELLENT! One day they had a cookout on the beach and the ribs were delicious. We also ate at Il Bacio and the Tex Mex Restaurant. Both were extremely satisfying. The main buffet had great breakfast and Chinese and Mexican night were pretty tasty as well. My favorite dessert would HAVE to be the coconut macaroons. One night I asked a staff member if their were any macaroons and he brought out a whole tray of macaroon cupcakes for the buffet. BEST.SERVICE.EVER!!! The tiramisu at Il Bacio was also pretty tasty.

Drinks
Hands down my favorite drinks would have to be the Coco Loco (Emilio calls in a Ra Ta Ta at the bar in the lobby) and the Pina Colada. People on TripAdvisor were complaining about the bars not having US brand top shelf liquor and I thought that would be a problem, but I was quickly mistaken. The Dominican rums are soooooo smooth. In those two drinks (and the strawberry daquiri), you couldn't even taste it and they ALWAYS delivered a nice buzz!!!! Tip: The drinks in the lobby are the best!!!! Especially when Emilio makes them :)

Entertainment
We only caught one show from the Animation team and it was a little lame. Of course, with a group of 12 we pretty much provided our own entertainment the entire trip. The team did throw a 4th of July party on the beach for the Americans and that was pretty cool. Everyone was friendly and tried really hard to make it a pleasant stay.

Excursions
Our group did the buggy rides, a party boat and parasailing. All were fun. My suggestion is that you negotiate with the different vendors before purchasing your excursions. We were able to get discounted rates because our group was so large and because we could try to "price match" if you will between vendors.

A little Spanish will help. Some of the employees understand little to know Spanish and it really helps if you are able to make simple requests in their language.

Beach
The beach was BEAUTIFUL!!!! I didn't have a problem with the towel game as others warned. Our entire group was able to get beds on the beach almost every day. If you get a chance, take a nap on the beach or by the pool in one the beds. It is soooooo relaxing. The surf was a little choppy, but that made for good wave jumping. As far as the complaints about sea weed...what do you expect...its the ocean!!! I think the beach gets more seaweed because its facing the Atlantic Ocean versus the Caribbean Sea. The workers do their best to clean it up in the morning and I think they do an excellent job.

Spa
I got a 55 minute relaxation massage at the mini spa on the beach. It was AWESOME!!!! Probably the best money I've spent in a while. There is also a gym on the property. The equipment could stand to be updated, but you can get plenty of exercise walking/running along the beach.

Pool
The pool is nice. It will be even better when they refinish the bottom. My husband and friends played volleyball almost everyday. The swim up bar seemed to be a hit as well. Many friends were made there over drinks.

Overall
If I had to do it again, I'd definitely stay at the Punta Cana Princess All Suites Resort. We had an awesome time and really enjoyed our stay. Everyone was extremely friendly (especially, MIlton, Yenny and Emilio) and went out of their way to make sure we had a good time.

Room Tip: Top floor has vaulted ceilings and feels bigger. You can also hear the rain on the top floor. PERFEC...
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your feedback about your stay. We are pleased that you had a good experience at Punta Cana Princess and that our staff provided an excellent service.

We look forward to your next stay with us and extend a warm welcome back when you next visit Punta Cana.

Warmest regards,

Community Manager

Been to Punta Cana Princess All Suites Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!