“Terrible experience” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Tropical Princess Beach Resort & Spa

Save Saved
You added Tropical Princess Beach Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Tropical Princess Beach Resort & Spa
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playas de Bavaro | Playa Arena Gorda, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #58 of 100 hotels in Punta Cana
Santo Domingo, Distrito Nacional, Dominican Republic
“Terrible experience”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2014

Me and my wife are going to have our first daugther soon so we decided to have one last couple experience in some time.
There was a price cut for this weekend so we jumped right on it...terrible mistake...
The first thing I noticed was the terrible service at the desk, it was as if we were not paying real money! They treated us with such commonness that we didn't feel like we were welcomed...

Our room was not the ''superior'' one they advertised. The bathtub didn't hold the water, the hot water took FOREVER to kick in, the bathroom was dirty, the soap and shampoo smelled terrible (bring your own), the TV reminded me of the 90's...and last but not least, there was a door that connected to the next room where there were loud people staying at.

The drinks are all watered down and felt uninspired. If you wanna have a beer just order 5 of the thing they call beer.
The pool had mold, the towell place is far away and the food is nothing especial.

But what really let me down was the reservation for a romantic dinner with my wife. The women went to lunch at the same time (around 2pm) and we had until 3pm to make the reservation.
I left her a note with my room number, pax, restaurant, time and name in case she came back before we finished lunch.
When we come back, there is a line and she is making reservations. When it gets to our turn, I tell her I left her a note...she tells us all reservations are full while disposing of our note. I asked her if there was another restaurant available and she said no with the most punchable face you could make.

Oh, on our way out they destroyed our bracelets. I guess to prevent us from re-entering the hotel; that was the first time they did that to me on a beach resort and I felt insulted.
I will NEVER return to that place and will make it my MISSION to prevent friends and family from going.

Good riddance Tropical Princess Beach Resort & Spa.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
PrincessHotelsRD, General Manager at Tropical Princess Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 4 weeks ago
Dear Omar R,

We would like to express our pleasure for having written about your experience here at Tropical Princess and we want you to know that your opinion is very important to us.

We expect that you will accept our apologies for any difficulty that you might have encountered during your holiday here and trust that you realize that it was not our purpose to let you down in any way. Furthermore you can rest assure that we will take immediate action to avoid of recurrent.

Nevertheless, we truly appreciate the moment you dedicated to write a description of your stay. And we hope to host you as a guest again at the Princess Hotels.

Respectfully,

1,121 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
  • Polish first
Corinth, Mississippi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2014

We stayed at this hotel 6/5-6/12 we came prepared making gift bags with baseball cards,baby clothes,baby wipes,baby meds,bibles, bible tracts & all kinds of candy..our room was 3330 in the lirio building..I found a pregnant girl that worked upfront she was overjoyed with the girl gift bags..and one of our maids Corianne? was gonna be a grandmother of a boy if I understood correctly..She was given the boy gift bag..Some English speaking guests at the pool were complaining & saying they were frustrated by the 2nd day there because most of the people spoke Spanish! Wake up people if you are from the US you can't complain about being in a Spanish speaking country..if you are gonna be irritated or frustrated by( this stay home or go to the nearest beach by you)..We spoke no Spanish but got everything we asked for & are confused by the guests wondering what were they asking for that they weren't getting...You might get a wrong drink at dinner or at the bar but if you are kind & explain you will get what you ordered..Rooms may be dated & we never had a issue w/hot water. It had to run maybe 2 minutes but hot water was there..The buffet has all types of food + pizza and pasta bar so no one should leave hungry..Beach is beautiful grounds well maintained..all the low stars & complaints from other guests are just being picky..its not necessarily a hotel that caters to you like some that's were I believe the negative reviews come from...not always someone coming around for drink orders and no elevators..With that said its a great hotel full of kind and sweet Dominican people who will bend over backwards to help you and serve you..we left tips for almost all the people we came in contact with...it is all-inclusive but if you worked for what they made a day being friendly and smiling they DESERVE a tip and more..it was my 4th trip to this country and I would be happy to go again..just remember you get back what you give...if you are kind you get back kindness if you are rude and hateful you still get back kindness just maybe get ignored which I think is fair..

Room Tip: we were in room 3330 right across from the buffet and pool..
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
PrincessHotelsRD, General Manager at Tropical Princess Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, June 17, 2014
Dear Tracy G,

We thank you kindly for having taken the opportunity to comment about your stay at our hotel Tropical Princess and it is also good to hear about the GREAT VACATION you had with us.

It is always pleasant to learn that our guests were able to enjoy their stay to the fullest while under our care and we are truly grateful to have received your good opinions about our hotel and the service we provide, taking into account that our main objective is to surpass your expectations.

Once again, we appreciate your feedback and we will be more than happy to give you a warm welcome on your upcoming visit to the Tropical Princess.

Cordially,

Ocala
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2014

Upon arrival we were greeted with fresh fruit drinks in the lobby. The check in staff was friendly and the property is lovely. We were on the 3rd floor which was great because there were no mosquitos! The hotel is beachfront and looks like a tropical paradise. The hotel is older but is beautifully maintained. It's a bit of a walk to the lobby from the beach but there is a little tram that runs back and forth There is a fridge in the room with water and soda. There are stores on the property with necessities. The internet is sporadic and only available in the lobby so if you don't have an international cell phone plan you might want to purchase a prepaid phone that works in the country. We were in the Lirio building and the location was great, away from the main pool, but next to a more quiet one. There is plenty to do at the hotel, but we did a surf excursion at Macao Surf Adventures also called Macao Surf Camp at a beach about 15 minutes from the hotel. That surf excursion was the highlight of our trip! Definitely worth trying. You might have to find that trip on the internet because I did not book it through the hotel. If management reads this you might want to add Macao Surf Camp to your excursion list, it was so much fun and we are all in our 50's and 60's so it's not just for kids! The staff from the maids to the waiters were fantastic. A smile and a gracias with a little extra tip helps. There were people pitching sales but a firm no gracias and keep walking worked, unless you are interested in purchasing future vacations then it would be worth checking out. There was a huge variety of food, so we always found something really good to eat and the presentation was nice.Enjoy.

Room Tip: 3000 building is quiet. Get a 2nd or 3rd floor room to avoid the mosquitos. Buy insect repellent! Th...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
PrincessHotelsRD, General Manager at Tropical Princess Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, June 12, 2014
Dear SonjaOcala,

We would like to thank you for having chosen Tropical Princess for your vacation; it is a pleasure for us to hear that your experience at our TROPICAL PARADISE left a memorable impression on you.

We appreciate your compliments towards the check in staff, the maids and the waiters; it is always comforting to hear that our guests were happy with the service provided.

Once again, thank your for you positive feedback and we look forward to your next visit to this tropical paradise as it is Tropical Princess.

St. John's, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

Stayed at the Tropical Princess in March 2013 and it was a great resort. Our room was very close to the beach and the main buffet. Staff, Entertainment and the food on the resort was excellent. Our maids name was Anna, if you can get in her building she is the best and was very kind and done a great job in cleaning our room everyday. I would definitely go back again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear BCOVE99,

We would like to thank you for having taken the time to describe your stay here at Tropical Princess and we are thrilled to have learnt that you had such a GREAT VACATION with us.

We deeply appreciate your comments towards the entertainment, food and the staff of the hotel. Especially those comments dedicated to Anna from housekeeping, we promise you that your praise will reach her person; in addition we inform you that It is always refreshing to hear that we were able to meet the expectations of our guests due to this being our main goal.

Once more, we are gratified by your compliments and we hope that you chose the Tropical Princess on your next holiday in the Caribbean.

Best Regards,

4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2014 via mobile

Most of there quite accurate. The people who complain are simply picky, whiney people who are offended by anything and everything. The issues we had were so minor they aren't even worth talking about. The staff were all quite friendly especially the swim up bar bartender, Cesar. What a class act that guy is. Well worth the money we paid and would love to come back. I'd stay away
from the a la carte as we found the buffet was much better. Rooms were efficient. Lots of ignorant Russians. Relatively quiet. Little hassle to buy junk. We'd go back.

• Stayed April 2014
PrincessHotelsRD, Manager at Tropical Princess Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, May 12, 2014
Dear ganthony82,

We deeply appreciate the opportunity you took to express your opinions about the experience you had while at Tropical Princess and we are happy to hear that you were able to enjoy the time you spent here with us.

We would like to thank you for your special mention of Cesar (Swim-Up Bar), we truly appreciate him being a part of our team and we assure you that your praises will reach his person.

All in all, we justly appreciate the opportunity you took to express your feedback about your stay and we hope to host you at the Tropical Princess in the future.

Cordially,

Julio Paulino
Resident Manager
Haiti
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2014

I had a short stay at this resort the first week of May 2014. First off it is hard as hell to find, took me forever to find it tucked away in the corner where it was. Once I finally found it I was greeted by a very nice front desk attendant. The reception/lobby is HUGE, and so are the grounds of the resort. So big they have a trolley to take you around. The place is beautiful.
Now for the bad stuff... During my 2 night/3day stay my room was never attended to. At the buffet hall I literally had to flag wait staff down to get something to drink. I was mostly ignored, I think it was because they saw that I was a solo traveller. This place is a great place for families and large tour groups. If you want quiet, this isn't the place for you. Also, I don't recommend for solo female travelers, I had to deal with a lot if catcalls and overt sexual advances from male staff (excluding front desk guys). I understand it was because they mistook me for a fellow dominican but that is not acceptable behavior towards a guest even if she is a fellow dominican. So they lost a lot of points with me for that alone.
The stay there was otherwise ok. The beaches are nice which is for this island. The room was a decent size and included a balcony. I recommend but not for solo female traveler.

Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
PrincessHotelsRD, General Manager at Tropical Princess Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, May 12, 2014
Dear Edi423,

I would like to thank you for choosing Tropical Princess for your holiday and also for sharing your experience with us. Each criticism, compliment and suggestion will help us to improve our standard of service.

I anticipate that you will accept our apologies for any inconvenience that you might have encountered while under our care; It is essential that I specify that your stay was not the common experience that many of our guests are met with and you can rest assured that your comments will be sent to the departments involved to take them very much into consideration.

On behalf of all of the staff, I would once again like to apologize for these inconveniences; we hope that this has not deterred you from returning to Tropical Princess in the future.

Best Regards from Tropical Princess,

Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2014

Just got back from tropical princess. Weather was fantastic. Resort not so. Very strong sewer smell from jungle lagoon in center of property.. Room was mixed up from what we ordered. Ask for queen got 3 double beds. Ask for water view. got to look at bar. Asked for late checked out and had to go back 3 times to find out nothing was left. Too busy. but if come back after 3.00 pm. they would let us use a courtesy room. We show up at 445 and was told nothing available. closed at 430. So told nothing available and employee walked away after being told you leave someone else always comes. I walked away took a deep breath and went back to see another employee that after being on beach for day my wife and I desperately needed a shower. He couldn't believe how we were treated but then nodded when i pointed out employee. He got us a shower at the spa but unfortunately having no soap provide i use hand soap from dispenser in bathroom. Staff in restaurant was great. But front desk and management for not seeing what is in front of them should be changed immediately. Canadians spend a lot of money in DR. every year and airplane and hotels need to upgrade their service.

Room Tip: Have your travel agent get everything you want and ordered. Get in writing and have hotel airline a...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear W S,

I would like to thank you for taking the opportunity to express your feedback about the events you claimed to have transpired during your stay at Tropical Princess.

I truly apologize for any inconvenience that you might have experienced while under our care. I hope that you understand that it was never our intention to disappoint you in anyway and after reading your review it is clear to me that your stay was not a usual representation of the majority of our guests, nevertheless I will revise your observations and take any necessary action.

All in all, we appreciate the time you dedicated to expressing your opinions and I hope that this does not deter you from returning to the Princess Hotels.

Federico Espinal,

Been to Tropical Princess Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!