“Beautiful Property, Tropical and Beachfront” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Tropical Princess Beach Resort & Spa

Save Saved
You added Tropical Princess Beach Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Tropical Princess Beach Resort & Spa
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playas de Bavaro | Playa Arena Gorda, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #57 of 100 hotels in Punta Cana
Ocala
“Beautiful Property, Tropical and Beachfront”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2014

Upon arrival we were greeted with fresh fruit drinks in the lobby. The check in staff was friendly and the property is lovely. We were on the 3rd floor which was great because there were no mosquitos! The hotel is beachfront and looks like a tropical paradise. The hotel is older but is beautifully maintained. It's a bit of a walk to the lobby from the beach but there is a little tram that runs back and forth There is a fridge in the room with water and soda. There are stores on the property with necessities. The internet is sporadic and only available in the lobby so if you don't have an international cell phone plan you might want to purchase a prepaid phone that works in the country. We were in the Lirio building and the location was great, away from the main pool, but next to a more quiet one. There is plenty to do at the hotel, but we did a surf excursion at Macao Surf Adventures also called Macao Surf Camp at a beach about 15 minutes from the hotel. That surf excursion was the highlight of our trip! Definitely worth trying. You might have to find that trip on the internet because I did not book it through the hotel. If management reads this you might want to add Macao Surf Camp to your excursion list, it was so much fun and we are all in our 50's and 60's so it's not just for kids! The staff from the maids to the waiters were fantastic. A smile and a gracias with a little extra tip helps. There were people pitching sales but a firm no gracias and keep walking worked, unless you are interested in purchasing future vacations then it would be worth checking out. There was a huge variety of food, so we always found something really good to eat and the presentation was nice.Enjoy.

Room Tip: 3000 building is quiet. Get a 2nd or 3rd floor room to avoid the mosquitos. Buy insect repellent! Th...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
PrincessHotelsRD, General Manager at Tropical Princess Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, June 12, 2014
Dear SonjaOcala,

We would like to thank you for having chosen Tropical Princess for your vacation; it is a pleasure for us to hear that your experience at our TROPICAL PARADISE left a memorable impression on you.

We appreciate your compliments towards the check in staff, the maids and the waiters; it is always comforting to hear that our guests were happy with the service provided.

Once again, thank your for you positive feedback and we look forward to your next visit to this tropical paradise as it is Tropical Princess.

1,130 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
  • Polish first
St. John's, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

Stayed at the Tropical Princess in March 2013 and it was a great resort. Our room was very close to the beach and the main buffet. Staff, Entertainment and the food on the resort was excellent. Our maids name was Anna, if you can get in her building she is the best and was very kind and done a great job in cleaning our room everyday. I would definitely go back again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear BCOVE99,

We would like to thank you for having taken the time to describe your stay here at Tropical Princess and we are thrilled to have learnt that you had such a GREAT VACATION with us.

We deeply appreciate your comments towards the entertainment, food and the staff of the hotel. Especially those comments dedicated to Anna from housekeeping, we promise you that your praise will reach her person; in addition we inform you that It is always refreshing to hear that we were able to meet the expectations of our guests due to this being our main goal.

Once more, we are gratified by your compliments and we hope that you chose the Tropical Princess on your next holiday in the Caribbean.

Best Regards,

4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2014 via mobile

Most of there quite accurate. The people who complain are simply picky, whiney people who are offended by anything and everything. The issues we had were so minor they aren't even worth talking about. The staff were all quite friendly especially the swim up bar bartender, Cesar. What a class act that guy is. Well worth the money we paid and would love to come back. I'd stay away
from the a la carte as we found the buffet was much better. Rooms were efficient. Lots of ignorant Russians. Relatively quiet. Little hassle to buy junk. We'd go back.

• Stayed April 2014
PrincessHotelsRD, Manager at Tropical Princess Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, May 12, 2014
Dear ganthony82,

We deeply appreciate the opportunity you took to express your opinions about the experience you had while at Tropical Princess and we are happy to hear that you were able to enjoy the time you spent here with us.

We would like to thank you for your special mention of Cesar (Swim-Up Bar), we truly appreciate him being a part of our team and we assure you that your praises will reach his person.

All in all, we justly appreciate the opportunity you took to express your feedback about your stay and we hope to host you at the Tropical Princess in the future.

Cordially,

Julio Paulino
Resident Manager
Haiti
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2014

I had a short stay at this resort the first week of May 2014. First off it is hard as hell to find, took me forever to find it tucked away in the corner where it was. Once I finally found it I was greeted by a very nice front desk attendant. The reception/lobby is HUGE, and so are the grounds of the resort. So big they have a trolley to take you around. The place is beautiful.
Now for the bad stuff... During my 2 night/3day stay my room was never attended to. At the buffet hall I literally had to flag wait staff down to get something to drink. I was mostly ignored, I think it was because they saw that I was a solo traveller. This place is a great place for families and large tour groups. If you want quiet, this isn't the place for you. Also, I don't recommend for solo female travelers, I had to deal with a lot if catcalls and overt sexual advances from male staff (excluding front desk guys). I understand it was because they mistook me for a fellow dominican but that is not acceptable behavior towards a guest even if she is a fellow dominican. So they lost a lot of points with me for that alone.
The stay there was otherwise ok. The beaches are nice which is for this island. The room was a decent size and included a balcony. I recommend but not for solo female traveler.

Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
PrincessHotelsRD, General Manager at Tropical Princess Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, May 12, 2014
Dear Edi423,

I would like to thank you for choosing Tropical Princess for your holiday and also for sharing your experience with us. Each criticism, compliment and suggestion will help us to improve our standard of service.

I anticipate that you will accept our apologies for any inconvenience that you might have encountered while under our care; It is essential that I specify that your stay was not the common experience that many of our guests are met with and you can rest assured that your comments will be sent to the departments involved to take them very much into consideration.

On behalf of all of the staff, I would once again like to apologize for these inconveniences; we hope that this has not deterred you from returning to Tropical Princess in the future.

Best Regards from Tropical Princess,

Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2014

Just got back from tropical princess. Weather was fantastic. Resort not so. Very strong sewer smell from jungle lagoon in center of property.. Room was mixed up from what we ordered. Ask for queen got 3 double beds. Ask for water view. got to look at bar. Asked for late checked out and had to go back 3 times to find out nothing was left. Too busy. but if come back after 3.00 pm. they would let us use a courtesy room. We show up at 445 and was told nothing available. closed at 430. So told nothing available and employee walked away after being told you leave someone else always comes. I walked away took a deep breath and went back to see another employee that after being on beach for day my wife and I desperately needed a shower. He couldn't believe how we were treated but then nodded when i pointed out employee. He got us a shower at the spa but unfortunately having no soap provide i use hand soap from dispenser in bathroom. Staff in restaurant was great. But front desk and management for not seeing what is in front of them should be changed immediately. Canadians spend a lot of money in DR. every year and airplane and hotels need to upgrade their service.

Room Tip: Have your travel agent get everything you want and ordered. Get in writing and have hotel airline a...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear W S,

I would like to thank you for taking the opportunity to express your feedback about the events you claimed to have transpired during your stay at Tropical Princess.

I truly apologize for any inconvenience that you might have experienced while under our care. I hope that you understand that it was never our intention to disappoint you in anyway and after reading your review it is clear to me that your stay was not a usual representation of the majority of our guests, nevertheless I will revise your observations and take any necessary action.

All in all, we appreciate the time you dedicated to expressing your opinions and I hope that this does not deter you from returning to the Princess Hotels.

Federico Espinal,
Bronx, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2014

The hotel is definitely more of a 3 to 3.5 star but the wait staff and food were great. The rooms do need updating but you're definitely not sleeping at a motel either. The beds were a bit hard but were great for my back. The buffet had delicious eating options and the waiters always provided us with great service. The beach was super clean and the water was crystal clear. I brought water shoes but didn't need them as no rocks or corals were in the sand or water. Lounge chairs were always available at the beach and pools although the ones underneath the huts were always taken by 9am. I recommend staking one of these as soon as you wake up or wait for noon when people go to eat and leave these precious commodities behind. Yes the beach is public but not as crowded and annoying as Boca Chica. There will be people attempting to sell you additional vacation packages and water activities but all you have to say is that you're not interested and they won't continue to bother you. Please be reminded that this is the caribbean and service will be a lot slower than that of NYC. I did have to wait to check in as there was only one person attending the front desk but once we were checked in everything went smoothly. I only experienced one moment of frustration on my last day and it was with the Blue Transportation company I booked through Travelocity. I don't recommend them as they were provided with all of my return information twice and still failed to confirm that they would show up to return us back to the airport. They failed to respond to my phone calls and eventually showed up as if nothing happened. Yocasta at the hotel's guest service desk attempted to help me by continuing to call the Blue Transportation hotline and eventually called a cab for us. Unfortunately, I noticed that she attempted to take some of my money by telling me that the cab ride would be $40 and I had to pay her instead of the cab driver (meanwhile the front desk person who checked me out of the room told me the ride would be $35). The cab driver showed up 45 minutes later and she handed him $30 of the $40 and skimmed $10 for herself. I would've gladly tipped her (as I had done with every waitstaff person at the resort) but when I blatantly saw her ripping me off I was so turned off and appalled by her. The shuttle bus company eventually showed up and I no longer needed the cab but Yocasta told me that I would need to pay the cab driver anyway even though the cab driver was almost an hour late and we hadn't even made an attempt to get into the cab. The hotel's luggage handler was also disgusted by Yocasta and advised me to get my money back and to go with the shuttle bus service I had already paid for via Travelocity. Other than Yocasta I think everyone else at the hotel was wonderful. I especially want to thank Jonathan at El Higuero for his superb service and his overall attentiveness at the restaurant. The hostess/waitress at Rodizzio was also amazing and I'm disappointed at myself for forgetting her name. Overall I think this resort is great for the price and highly recommend it for both families and girl trips. Also, I recommend taking advantage of the free 5 minute ride casino shuttle bus if you want to get out of the resort. We also took a 5 minute cab ride to Bavaro Plaza to buy souvenirs at very reasonable rates. The Limery shop had everything we were looking for and the owners were not obnoxious and pushing their products but instead helped you locate any items you wanted to purchase (i.e. rum, mamajuana, coconut liquor, paintings, wooden items, key chains, etc). My sister and I also went parasailing with one of the SeaPro stations on the beach and the service was great and affordable.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 5412 which was convenient located across from one of the bars and pools and a 5 mi...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Dear Jess_MPH,

We would like to thank you for taking the opportunity to express your feedback about your recent stay at Tropical Princess and it is truly exciting to know that you were able to have a taste of the Dominican culture first hand.

We truly appreciate the compliments towards our hotel, food, beach and the staff, especially those of Jonathan at EL HIGUERO restaurant and to the hostess/waitress (her name is Teresa) from el Rodizzio restaurant, we take pride in their work and guarantee that your good wishes will reach their person.

We regret to hear the unfortunate event that happened with the situation of the cab, we promise you that we will look into it.

On the whole, we would just like to express our gratitude for the feedback and hope to have you as visitor at Tropical Princess in the future.

Julio Paulino
Resident Manager
Brampton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2014

Traveled with a group of friends. tot - 5 of us
April 17-24
It was everyone's first time to punta and could honestly say we had the best time ever!!!
everyday was a new adventure .. and this resort was perfect.

Staff was really nice and funny! Got along with everyone really well. Met a lot of people and had an awesome time with!

Its basically 2 resorts combined so lots to see and you have access to 3 pools instead of just one! Lobby is spacious - Check in was great. They had put us in rooms total opposite of each other but we asked if they could be changed to right next to each other and wasn't a problem at all.
Rooms were nice. Loved how the buildings were so colourful.

The lobby was far from our rooms but the shuttle bus always came around every couple minutes so wasn't a big deal!
None of us were picky eaters so the food was very yummy - especially the pasta station.. we got that everyday.
The snack bar was awesome - right in front of the beach and open 24 hrs.. so was great when we got hungry in the middle of the night.
The creperie... omg yumm! We would go everyday after a swim!!!

We did para-sailing and the ATV (Buggy) Excursions.. really recommend those - they were a lot of fun! and got good deals on the beach - just have to be a good negotiator and you won't get ripped off :)

Went to Hard Rock Cafe resort for the Afrojack and friends RAVE it was the best night ever! Areito club is good (onsite club). Other clubs i recommend off the resort is Imagine (Cave club- you get a shuttle to be picked and dropped off) and Mangu - which is on another resort if you're willing to spend money (not far from tropical).

All in all it was a GOOOD week to remember! Wouldn't have gone anywhere else. All of us loved it.

Room Tip: Room 5425! Right in front of the bar... pool.. snack bar.. 1 minute walk to the beach!!! close to ev...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Dear TropicalLove2014,

We are pleased to hear that you have had THE BEST TIME EVER at Tropical Princess and would like to thank you for taking out the time and sharing your feedback on tripadvisor.

Guest satisfaction is our main goal at Tropical Princess, and it is rewarding to learn that it has been achieved on this occasion.

We hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Tropical Princess soon!

Cordially,

Tropical Princess Beach Resort and Spa

Been to Tropical Princess Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!