“Best bang for your buck” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Tropical Princess Beach Resort & Spa

Save Saved
You added Tropical Princess Beach Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Tropical Princess Beach Resort & Spa
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playas de Bavaro | Playa Arena Gorda, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #58 of 101 hotels in Punta Cana
Bronx, NY
“Best bang for your buck”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2014

The hotel is definitely more of a 3 to 3.5 star but the wait staff and food were great. The rooms do need updating but you're definitely not sleeping at a motel either. The beds were a bit hard but were great for my back. The buffet had delicious eating options and the waiters always provided us with great service. The beach was super clean and the water was crystal clear. I brought water shoes but didn't need them as no rocks or corals were in the sand or water. Lounge chairs were always available at the beach and pools although the ones underneath the huts were always taken by 9am. I recommend staking one of these as soon as you wake up or wait for noon when people go to eat and leave these precious commodities behind. Yes the beach is public but not as crowded and annoying as Boca Chica. There will be people attempting to sell you additional vacation packages and water activities but all you have to say is that you're not interested and they won't continue to bother you. Please be reminded that this is the caribbean and service will be a lot slower than that of NYC. I did have to wait to check in as there was only one person attending the front desk but once we were checked in everything went smoothly. I only experienced one moment of frustration on my last day and it was with the Blue Transportation company I booked through Travelocity. I don't recommend them as they were provided with all of my return information twice and still failed to confirm that they would show up to return us back to the airport. They failed to respond to my phone calls and eventually showed up as if nothing happened. Yocasta at the hotel's guest service desk attempted to help me by continuing to call the Blue Transportation hotline and eventually called a cab for us. Unfortunately, I noticed that she attempted to take some of my money by telling me that the cab ride would be $40 and I had to pay her instead of the cab driver (meanwhile the front desk person who checked me out of the room told me the ride would be $35). The cab driver showed up 45 minutes later and she handed him $30 of the $40 and skimmed $10 for herself. I would've gladly tipped her (as I had done with every waitstaff person at the resort) but when I blatantly saw her ripping me off I was so turned off and appalled by her. The shuttle bus company eventually showed up and I no longer needed the cab but Yocasta told me that I would need to pay the cab driver anyway even though the cab driver was almost an hour late and we hadn't even made an attempt to get into the cab. The hotel's luggage handler was also disgusted by Yocasta and advised me to get my money back and to go with the shuttle bus service I had already paid for via Travelocity. Other than Yocasta I think everyone else at the hotel was wonderful. I especially want to thank Jonathan at El Higuero for his superb service and his overall attentiveness at the restaurant. The hostess/waitress at Rodizzio was also amazing and I'm disappointed at myself for forgetting her name. Overall I think this resort is great for the price and highly recommend it for both families and girl trips. Also, I recommend taking advantage of the free 5 minute ride casino shuttle bus if you want to get out of the resort. We also took a 5 minute cab ride to Bavaro Plaza to buy souvenirs at very reasonable rates. The Limery shop had everything we were looking for and the owners were not obnoxious and pushing their products but instead helped you locate any items you wanted to purchase (i.e. rum, mamajuana, coconut liquor, paintings, wooden items, key chains, etc). My sister and I also went parasailing with one of the SeaPro stations on the beach and the service was great and affordable.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 5412 which was convenient located across from one of the bars and pools and a 5 mi...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
PrincessHotelsRD, Manager at Tropical Princess Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, May 12, 2014
Dear Jess_MPH,

We would like to thank you for taking the opportunity to express your feedback about your recent stay at Tropical Princess and it is truly exciting to know that you were able to have a taste of the Dominican culture first hand.

We truly appreciate the compliments towards our hotel, food, beach and the staff, especially those of Jonathan at EL HIGUERO restaurant and to the hostess/waitress (her name is Teresa) from el Rodizzio restaurant, we take pride in their work and guarantee that your good wishes will reach their person.

We regret to hear the unfortunate event that happened with the situation of the cab, we promise you that we will look into it.

On the whole, we would just like to express our gratitude for the feedback and hope to have you as visitor at Tropical Princess in the future.

Julio Paulino
Resident Manager

1,161 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
  • Polish first
Brampton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2014

Traveled with a group of friends. tot - 5 of us
April 17-24
It was everyone's first time to punta and could honestly say we had the best time ever!!!
everyday was a new adventure .. and this resort was perfect.

Staff was really nice and funny! Got along with everyone really well. Met a lot of people and had an awesome time with!

Its basically 2 resorts combined so lots to see and you have access to 3 pools instead of just one! Lobby is spacious - Check in was great. They had put us in rooms total opposite of each other but we asked if they could be changed to right next to each other and wasn't a problem at all.
Rooms were nice. Loved how the buildings were so colourful.

The lobby was far from our rooms but the shuttle bus always came around every couple minutes so wasn't a big deal!
None of us were picky eaters so the food was very yummy - especially the pasta station.. we got that everyday.
The snack bar was awesome - right in front of the beach and open 24 hrs.. so was great when we got hungry in the middle of the night.
The creperie... omg yumm! We would go everyday after a swim!!!

We did para-sailing and the ATV (Buggy) Excursions.. really recommend those - they were a lot of fun! and got good deals on the beach - just have to be a good negotiator and you won't get ripped off :)

Went to Hard Rock Cafe resort for the Afrojack and friends RAVE it was the best night ever! Areito club is good (onsite club). Other clubs i recommend off the resort is Imagine (Cave club- you get a shuttle to be picked and dropped off) and Mangu - which is on another resort if you're willing to spend money (not far from tropical).

All in all it was a GOOOD week to remember! Wouldn't have gone anywhere else. All of us loved it.

Room Tip: Room 5425! Right in front of the bar... pool.. snack bar.. 1 minute walk to the beach!!! close to ev...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
PrincessHotelsRD, General Manager at Tropical Princess Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, June 12, 2014
Dear TropicalLove2014,

We are pleased to hear that you have had THE BEST TIME EVER at Tropical Princess and would like to thank you for taking out the time and sharing your feedback on tripadvisor.

Guest satisfaction is our main goal at Tropical Princess, and it is rewarding to learn that it has been achieved on this occasion.

We hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Tropical Princess soon!

Cordially,

Tropical Princess Beach Resort and Spa
Mason, Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2014

Upon arrival, the man at the gate made my son and I feel like criminals by questioning us and he was extremely rude to our cab driver. The front desk staff ignored us and when someone did come over, he was not pleasant. The rooms need serious updating. The beds were like brick slabs and we got no washcloths. The all inclusive food was not that great. You can eat only so many hot dogs and hamburgers. The game equipment, i.e mini golf clubs and ping pong paddles need to be replaced. I did not appreciate the sales pitch for the resort either. On a good note, the grounds were very nicely maintained and the beach and pool areas were nice. The restaurant staff and housekeeping were very nice.

Room Tip: Go to a different hotel because I don't think there is one.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

PrincessHotelsRD, Manager at Tropical Princess Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 19, 2014
Dear Kelly B,

Thank you for taking the opportunity to express your feedback about the events you claimed to have transpired during your stay at Tropical Princess.

We anticipate that you will accept our apologies for any inconvenience that you might have encountered while under our care and trust that you understand that it was not our intention to disappoint you in any way.

In regards to the cab driver, we are sorry to hear about this incident, sometimes the extra measures are taken for the security of our clients. Nevertheless we will look into it.

Base on the comments of our food, we are quite surprised, owing that we are normally complemented for having a variety of different dishes to satisfy any person’s appetite. We are also inclined to mention that our dinners in the buffet are of different themes each evening, giving a wider assortment to choose from.

In addition, we would also like to extent our gratitude for the compliments about our hotel grounds, beach, pool areas, staff of the restaurant and housekeeping.

All in all, we hope that this has not deterred you from returning to Tropical Princess in the future.

Cordially,

Brampton, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2014

I know this hotel is listed as a 4 star but it is more like a 3 star.

Reason being is the food is just ok. You will find that there are the same foods every day, not a variety. Also, my bathroom was not great either. There were ants on the counter which were bearable but having no hot water in our shower was not. You don't normally spend much time in your room on vacation, but it would be nice to take a shower in at the minumum luke warm water, not freezing cold.

The grounds are beautiful. A big resort which makes it nice. There are different bars and restaurants although only 2 restaurants were included (must make appointment). Those two were brazilian restaurant (the best food on the resort) and a dominican restaurant (just ok).

Tropical Princess and Caribe are on the same grounds, same resort; not sure why they are listed as separate when booking my vacation.

I stayed in room 5221 (one of the stand alone buildings) and it was nice. A big room with king size bed overlooking the pool but minus the bathroom disaster.

My family stayed in the bigger buliding 3228. A good room if you're traveling with kids. The bathrooms were upgraded nicely, two separate rooms, 3 double beds, but again no hot water.

Hope my review helps.

One last thing, don't expect the greatest service either.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear Michelle D,

We deeply appreciate the opportunity you took to express your opinions about the experience you had while at Tropical Princess and we assure you that we will be taking your feedback into consideration as we believe that there is always room for improvement.

We truly regret that you were not able to enjoy it to the fullest and we trust that you realize that it was never our intention to disappoint you, moreover we can justify that this is not the type of experience that most of our guest are met with.

On the mention of the food, we are inclined to mention that our dinners in the buffet are of different themes each evening, giving a wider assortment to choose from. Nevertheless we truly appreciate your compliments towards our Brazilian restaurant.

Yet again, we are honestly grateful for having received your feedback and we hope to receive you as a visitor at the Tropical Princess in the future.

Best Regards,

ware,england
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2014

My Wife and I arrived on March 4th 2014 for a weeks all inclusive at this 3 Star Hotel. We found the checking -in staff below average for friendliness, and helpfulness. However ALL the other Staff were great.The food was good,Hot,good choices,and very well presented.The Chinese Restaurant gave a pleasant evening with good food ,and good service. The shops ,and Spa, were quite pricey,but offered quality. The Bar ,waiting,chamber,and cleaning Staff were all friendly,and helpful. Now for the bad bit !!!!! You couldn't go anywhere on this resort,Pool,Beach,Restaurants,etc without hearing,seeing gangs of Very loud,mostly drunk, Canadian students,who acted like drunken 5 year -olds. If this resort wants Families,and more Mature clients ,they need to think out their priorities. I would,as being in the Licensed trade for 50 years, believe these Kids drink,and eat more pro rata than anyone else. Thereby COSTING the Hotel MORE money than the other Clients. Room Tip ask for third floor,away from Main pool.

Room Tip: Third floor,away from Main swimming pool
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear William L

We would like to express our appreciation for having written about your experience here at Tropical Princess and we want you to know that your opinion is very important to us.

We do appreciate your compliments about the friendliness of our staff, the food, as well as the service we provide, we are sorry to hear about the feeling you took with the front desk staff and we promise you we will look in to it.

On the mention of the Canadian students, we inform you that we always try all clients to follow the rules of the hotel and when we see any type of behaviour out of the ordinary, we constantly take the necessary measure.

All in all, we appreciate the time you dedicated to expressing your opinions and we hope to have you as a visitor at the Tropical Princess in the future.

Julio Paulino
Resident Manager
Watertown, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2014

Enjoyed my time there, more importantly enjoyed the entertainment Jhony Bravo, John Cena and Puchi. Loved the relaxation of the beds on the beach. The VIP parties and the Welcome parties were amazing.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Saint John, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2014

I found the reviews I read a few weeks ago quite accurate and handy. The concencus seemed to be that overall, the resort was decent........... It was. So I don't mind writing a review if it helps people out.
As I read before going, the resort was a little dated, but the beach, which is beautiful and to food and service were more than compensatory. So the concencus of reviews was spot on. Just the way it is there.

On the negative side I was surprised to find the place over running with Russians! They kept to themselves for the most part but weren't that friendly; some were kind of ignorant, but might be a cultural thing. I thought I was at some resort on the Black sea or something. The Russian chatter was overwhelming, they seem angry even when talking to each other.

The other negative was the resorts attempt to push time shares on guests. They have their own sales agents stratigically located at the main dining hall. They know everyone shows up there sooner or later.

So the somewhat dated facility, poor air conditioning etc. combined with the time share push would prompt us to look elsewhere for our next vacation.

Room Tip: Don't ask for room on Carribean Princess side.......it's mostly university kid's in full...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family

Been to Tropical Princess Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!