“New year” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Tropical Princess Beach Resort & Spa

Save Saved
You added Tropical Princess Beach Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Tropical Princess Beach Resort & Spa
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playas de Bavaro | Playa Arena Gorda, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #58 of 100 hotels in Punta Cana
San Pedro de Macorís, San Pedro De Macoris, Dominican Republic
“New year”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

it was a nice hotel, the food was ok, the personal its awesome, specially that guy on the beach bar , the room service it was nice , its ok to go there to have a good time ! i would go back someday... i dont know what else to write but this thing say it is not enught so i will say bla bla bla etc etc thanks for reading !

1,120 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
  • Polish first
Ottawa, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

I picked this resort for the family suites since I was travelling with two teenagers. The room was a little smaller than I expected but it worked for our purposes. It was clean but the shower was a little tricky to work out for hot water. I liked the location of our room (3237) in regards to the buffet, pools and beach BUT it was directly across from the smaller theatre which had a show going until 11:30pm one night which made sleeping difficult. There is a larger theatre at the front of the resort which would have been better. The walls are very thin and the doors are very heavy so I could hear everything that was going on in the hallways which also disturbed my sleep.

The food was varied and tasty. The beach is gorgeous, the waves were not too big to enjoy swimming and the sand was clean. There was great organised pool games everyday however the teens club was a little disappointing as the posted schedule did seem to happen.

NOTE! This resort caters to French speaking people from France, even though we could speak French the staff did not respond because we are Canadian. I had a really hard time finding someone who would or could speak English. I heard from another couple that the staff do not like Americans so they avoid English speaking people based on that (this was someone else's opinion but interesting never the less).

I have been to DR twice before but I am not in any hurry to go back, I prefer Cuba.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

Our family of 6 , with four kids ages: 23, 21, 17, 15 arrive 23 DEC for a 7 day vacation.
The are many elements of our first trip to Punta Cana to review:

1. The Beach : the beach areas on this property, and the surrounding Bavarro beach areas are excellent for strolling. The Princess beach area is wide, well groomed, safe for wading and had many beach lounge chairs, and huts for shade. Beach activities that we enjoyed were sailing, kayaking. The lone sailboard I tried to use had a broken daggerboard , which made it useless.
2. Activities. The Princess had many structured activities - set up and ran by the fine folks from Club Maramara- in the various pools and courts,: to name a few that we enjoyed: water polo, aqua gym, dance-exercise classes, beach volleyball. Other activities available were sand soccer, and special functions for younger children.
3. Food: Our package included access to the main buffet restaurant, and One dominican and one Brazilian restaurant, and several snack bars. We enjoyed the buffet daily for breakfast , and dinners: a great variety of foods, a very special Christmas dinner, and a Mexican, Italian, and Dominican night. The servers were very kind, always smiling and helpful. Overall good food and good food and beverage services.
4. Bars- the we're many choices for beverages: day and night. We especially enjoyed the lobby bar, the beach bar, pool bars, and Areito Disco (free drinks from 11-12 each night). All the bartenders were funny and had a great time with our family. The beverages were all well made, and available easily. Water was always available.
5. Checkin-out was easy, just a few minutes to wait, even in this busy season. Louis at the front desk was a gem. The bag captains were always there to help with loading of luggage to the vans, and to the local trolley that runs around the beautiful property.
6- The hotel rooms. We had a two-room , two bath , family set up, which was very basic and clean. The bathrooms were clean, however could use an update. Beds were a bit hard, pillows too. Our rooms were always cleaned very well by the housekeeping staff. We didn't spend much time in our rooms, there was much more fun outside!
7- we toured the spa and gym, however didn't use them.
8- the hotel had various vendors that were on site to sell goods, service. All were kind, and if you were not interested, just say no thank you, and move on.
Overall a very nice experience at the Tropical Princess, with many guests from all over the world. Our family from the Midwest USA enjoyed meeting many families from Canada, France, and other areas of Europe.

Room Tip: Choose a second or third floor room. The first floor rooms get noisy early when folks and staff star...
dallas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

I enjoyed my stay here....Vacationed here back in Summer 2009 with 3 friends
Beautiful land
Nice Beach
Beautiful People
Good food
A step above average with the hotel rooms
Entertainment at hotel great

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Fairfax, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

Booked my reservation with Kayak last minute. Arrived at the hotel at around 2-3 pm. Was not greeted with a drink..i guess because i would pass for a local. Jeffrey assisted me in checking in requested a nice room with a view at least, closer to the beach and so forth. He says the room is not ready yet and to grab some lunch by the beach. Well, the little tram that goes around the resort takes sooooo long that I thought i won;t make it there in time. Then have to ride all the way back to the lobby to pick up my keys. My name was spelled completely wrong and I had to correct them. Then heading to the room.. waited for the tram some more.. then finally got to the room..

Wow it says I will be in a Villa.. sounds wonderful... NOT... this room needs updating and lots of ants.. i mean the fridge only had water, soda but no alcohol... you have to pay for the safe, control did not work the first time. hmmm what else... this is the negative side.

On the positive note, i love the beach.. in my opinion, this is the best part of Punta Cana when it comes to beautiful sand, beach is wonderful. The hotel should replace some of the lounge chair.. it has been beaten up, sat on, laid on.. you name it. The beach bar is wonderful.

I heard from other tourist that they went to the 5 star hotels but the beaches they said were awful. I have been staying in just about all of the Princess Resorts, I like Tropical Princess, I just wish they gave me a nicer room and with a nice view..

I will go back to Bavaro Princess, this is where I have stayed several times since 2006.

I got plenty of sun, plenty of alcoholic beverages and met new people.

Thank you everyone.

Room Tip: ask for the modern and updated room
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Hamilton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

We took our two girls (9 and 11) to Punta Cana stayed at the Tropical Princess Nov. 28-Dec. 4th.
I have been to Punta Cana twice before (love it there !)
Here are my honest opinions of this Resort.

Check In:
Smooth, we were the only one`s being dropped off from the bus at that time.
The Front Desk Clerk gave me our room and directions, I asked for a room closer to the pool and she graciously accomodated us. Thanks !

Room #3136
We booked the Family Suite and it had two rooms and two bathrooms. The rooms were a little tired and dated, the shower was a little tricky to get working, the suite was quite a bit smaller than I had imagined, the TV converter didn`t work. It would have been nice if there was a tv in both rooms, but oh well.
All that being said, the room was fine, I saw no bugs in the room at all, except the odd mosquito and they were cleaned well daily. I think we had the best cleaning ladies ever. My daughters brought along their own favourite blankets and everyday the ladies would create adorable heart shapes or swans out of the blankets... the girls couldn`t wait to get back to the room to see what they did that day. Just a sweet touch. Thanks.

Beach:
Great ! beautiful, lots of waves, minimal seaweed.
Weather was great too. Sometimes it was a little cloudy, but it just made the day more comfortable, rather than constant blaring sun and heat. It rained occasionally, but almost always at night.
No problems getting beach towels in the morning.

Food:
The food was fine. They had different themes every night, Dominican, Oriental, Italian etc..so it didn`t get too repetitive. I found that the Snack restaurant at the beach had good chicken but most of the stuff was usually cold from the breeze. They should replenish it more often to try to keep it a little hotter and fresher. (fries..pizza etc.)
I regret we didn`t make it to the Creperie !
The Brazilian Restaurant (a la Carte) on the beach was fantastic! You must go there.
No Issue booking the A La Carte at all.

Service:
I found ALL the staff to be friendly and helpful.
Banana Mama drinks are the best !

Entertainment:
We all really enjoyed the shows. I have seen many before on other trips and they are just fun to go to. The entertainment staff here work do a great job entertaining at the pools and at night. I find them to be hillarious.
I would love to know where they learn to dance and stuff.. they are quite talented.

Casino:
Beautiful Casino, but the slots suck, so I was only there for an hour.

I have read on here that none of the staff speak english. I didn`t find this to be the case any more than any other Dominican or Mexican resort I have been to. Give them a break, they try and do quite well and english isn`t the only lanquage they have to try and learn !

What I really liked about this Resort was the size. It was great, especially for kids, it was big enough to stroll around and ride the trolley, but our room was close (within 5 min walk) to the beach, pool, buffet, lobby, a la carte..everything.

Loved the chickens and peacocks etc.. wandering around the property !!! We would feed them every morning after breakfast. (eek..not sure if we were supposed to do that, but nobody said anything) A couple of them would eat from our hand.
Also, look in the the little swamp ponds along the paths of the resort. Lots of fish and turtles.

Overall, it is not a 5 Star resort, but it is definitely an atmosphere for a fantastic vacation !

Room Tip: Any rooms by the pools. They are close to everything...beach, buffet..
Canmore, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

I am on my last day of a 7 day stay here so what better time to write a review! The staff goes out of their way to please and are very accommodating in every way. They are not like a lot of hotels (I have been to DR 5 times) where they require additional tips for the best service and that is a nice change. You get the usual vendors bothering you on a daily basis (the Santo Domingo vendors should NEVER be allowed on hotel property if you ask me, they are all cheats and liars) and you can barter pretty well with the flea market people. Food is, as always, pretty intolerable.
One note of warning for this hotel which I would NEVER mention about other hotels along Bavaro/White Sands Beaches: Unless you are from France, don't stay here!!! If you are from France, stay, because you are already rude, belligerent, loud, impolite, inconsiderate, self-centered, and unconcerned with the other guests’ enjoyment and you won't care if the showers work properly.
Fortunately, there was a break in the week when there were only a handful of French people here but that only lasted 2 days then another load came in. The hotel purposely caters to frogs and ALL the poolside programs are in French as the instructors apparently speak no English.
The Beach activities are non-existent other than the odd unorganized volleyball game – nothing like the other hotels along here (IFA, Iberostar and others) where there is plenty of FREE activities to join in on.
The food is very average and a lot was completely inedible….depends on your standards and if you are actually starving to death or can get by on minimal food.
All in all I gave it a 3/5 cause of the staff.

Room Tip: Stay close to the beach, get a room in the 1,000 block
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo

Been to Tropical Princess Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!