“Very Nice Vacation...” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Tropical Princess Beach Resort & Spa

Save Saved
You added Tropical Princess Beach Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Tropical Princess Beach Resort & Spa
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playas de Bavaro | Playa Arena Gorda, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #59 of 101 hotels in Punta Cana
Hamilton, Canada
“Very Nice Vacation...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

We took our two girls (9 and 11) to Punta Cana stayed at the Tropical Princess Nov. 28-Dec. 4th.
I have been to Punta Cana twice before (love it there !)
Here are my honest opinions of this Resort.

Check In:
Smooth, we were the only one`s being dropped off from the bus at that time.
The Front Desk Clerk gave me our room and directions, I asked for a room closer to the pool and she graciously accomodated us. Thanks !

Room #3136
We booked the Family Suite and it had two rooms and two bathrooms. The rooms were a little tired and dated, the shower was a little tricky to get working, the suite was quite a bit smaller than I had imagined, the TV converter didn`t work. It would have been nice if there was a tv in both rooms, but oh well.
All that being said, the room was fine, I saw no bugs in the room at all, except the odd mosquito and they were cleaned well daily. I think we had the best cleaning ladies ever. My daughters brought along their own favourite blankets and everyday the ladies would create adorable heart shapes or swans out of the blankets... the girls couldn`t wait to get back to the room to see what they did that day. Just a sweet touch. Thanks.

Beach:
Great ! beautiful, lots of waves, minimal seaweed.
Weather was great too. Sometimes it was a little cloudy, but it just made the day more comfortable, rather than constant blaring sun and heat. It rained occasionally, but almost always at night.
No problems getting beach towels in the morning.

Food:
The food was fine. They had different themes every night, Dominican, Oriental, Italian etc..so it didn`t get too repetitive. I found that the Snack restaurant at the beach had good chicken but most of the stuff was usually cold from the breeze. They should replenish it more often to try to keep it a little hotter and fresher. (fries..pizza etc.)
I regret we didn`t make it to the Creperie !
The Brazilian Restaurant (a la Carte) on the beach was fantastic! You must go there.
No Issue booking the A La Carte at all.

Service:
I found ALL the staff to be friendly and helpful.
Banana Mama drinks are the best !

Entertainment:
We all really enjoyed the shows. I have seen many before on other trips and they are just fun to go to. The entertainment staff here work do a great job entertaining at the pools and at night. I find them to be hillarious.
I would love to know where they learn to dance and stuff.. they are quite talented.

Casino:
Beautiful Casino, but the slots suck, so I was only there for an hour.

I have read on here that none of the staff speak english. I didn`t find this to be the case any more than any other Dominican or Mexican resort I have been to. Give them a break, they try and do quite well and english isn`t the only lanquage they have to try and learn !

What I really liked about this Resort was the size. It was great, especially for kids, it was big enough to stroll around and ride the trolley, but our room was close (within 5 min walk) to the beach, pool, buffet, lobby, a la carte..everything.

Loved the chickens and peacocks etc.. wandering around the property !!! We would feed them every morning after breakfast. (eek..not sure if we were supposed to do that, but nobody said anything) A couple of them would eat from our hand.
Also, look in the the little swamp ponds along the paths of the resort. Lots of fish and turtles.

Overall, it is not a 5 Star resort, but it is definitely an atmosphere for a fantastic vacation !

Room Tip: Any rooms by the pools. They are close to everything...beach, buffet..
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

1,168 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
  • Polish first
Canmore, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

I am on my last day of a 7 day stay here so what better time to write a review! The staff goes out of their way to please and are very accommodating in every way. They are not like a lot of hotels (I have been to DR 5 times) where they require additional tips for the best service and that is a nice change. You get the usual vendors bothering you on a daily basis (the Santo Domingo vendors should NEVER be allowed on hotel property if you ask me, they are all cheats and liars) and you can barter pretty well with the flea market people. Food is, as always, pretty intolerable.
One note of warning for this hotel which I would NEVER mention about other hotels along Bavaro/White Sands Beaches: Unless you are from France, don't stay here!!! If you are from France, stay, because you are already rude, belligerent, loud, impolite, inconsiderate, self-centered, and unconcerned with the other guests’ enjoyment and you won't care if the showers work properly.
Fortunately, there was a break in the week when there were only a handful of French people here but that only lasted 2 days then another load came in. The hotel purposely caters to frogs and ALL the poolside programs are in French as the instructors apparently speak no English.
The Beach activities are non-existent other than the odd unorganized volleyball game – nothing like the other hotels along here (IFA, Iberostar and others) where there is plenty of FREE activities to join in on.
The food is very average and a lot was completely inedible….depends on your standards and if you are actually starving to death or can get by on minimal food.
All in all I gave it a 3/5 cause of the staff.

Room Tip: Stay close to the beach, get a room in the 1,000 block
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

My boyfriend and I got this resort on an awesome deal. After reading reviews I was a little scared, but didn't care because I just wanted to be away somewhere tropical. How bad could it be? Not bad at all! The food was fresh and tasty, the service was nice, and the beach was beautiful!

• Stayed December 2011
Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

We went to this resort because it had family rooms (basically 2 separate rooms) and thought that this would be ideal for our 13 month old. When we arrived at the room, it was not clean and really unacceptable -- there were dead bugs (and later live ants) on cushions and on the floor. In addition, we wrote on the itinerary and told the check in people to have a crib ready since it was night and we wanted to put our little one to sleep. No crib was in the room and we had to call to remind them an hour later. They also promised they'd clean the room that night and no one came. This was the beginning of the problems we experienced with the hotel concierge. They were not helpful and they made empty promises. That night we couldn't even hear ourselves talk because of the noise coming from the disco, we were in building #20 facing the buffet and disco. The hallways of the building echo so there was a lot of noise from inside the building as well. I couldn't sleep and neither could my 13 month old. It was like this every night (we would just sit up and wait until the show was over so we could sleep at 11pm). After our terrible first nights' stay, at 7:30 am the next morning, I went back to the concierge to ask for a room change. They promised a room change at 2pm, we were in the room and called at 2:30 and they said no room change was scheduled. We waited in the room until 6pm that day (a total waste of a day) and still no one came. Finally the bellhop came to show us a new room which was the exact same room 3 doors down on the same, noisy side of the building. At this point we were heart broken. We gave up. We can’t imagine why they’d put family rooms across from a buffet and disco, they should be in the villas where it was quiet. A few days later we had ants crawling over everything including the baby spoons, bottles, etc. (which I cleaned daily). The maids didn't start cleaning the room properly until about Day 5. The room had an AC unit that was so loud, it'd wake us up, just clicking and banging and not working properly as it'd get hot. Oh and I forgot to mention that we didn't have any warm or hot water in the room until Day 2 in the evening. The repair guy magically turned it on for us.

On Day 5 my baby got very sick with a fever and diarrhea from the hotel food and I was sick as well. I was careful with the food I gave to my baby but it seemed that it might have been the fruit that did it. The buffet food was not very good and we are not picky eaters. We are from Ontario and were hoping to meet some fun Ontario people there but with no such luck. The guests only spoke French from Quebec and the remaining guests were Russian. It seems like this resort was accommodating to all the Quebec residents who had their own activities, pool area, and other events. It didn't feel like any of the other resorts I've been to in the past. The disco/show was a joke. The pools were very dirty. We made the best of the trip despite the hotel being horrible. We liked the beach but the waves were pretty rough and our motorcycle trip into the city and the time we spent as a family.

This is my first bad review on trip advisor and the Tropical Beach Princess Resort definitely deserves this bad review. Sunwing vacations should remove this hotel from their lists or seriously drop their star ratings as it is not a 4 star hotel. I’d give it 2 stars. We paid $1105 pp incl. taxes for the family suite and would love Sunwing to give us some money back. The Sunwing agent at the hotel was not able to help in getting us a better room.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
toronto, canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012 via mobile

This was one of the worst hotels I've stayed at in all my years of traveling have I not experienced such harassment by staff if your a young female this is not a place to go
Also there are locals who stay here its seems on the weekend they take over the hotel. Not a safe place beware the sliding doors don't even Lock

• Stayed December 2011
nashville
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

First of all let me just say that i have been to approx. 36 diff. countries and have exp. alot of ups and downs along the way...I am i guess you would say lower middle class with a twist of country boy to boot..So saying all that ,here is an honest reviews of this hotel..Took my 88 yr old grandmother to this resort whom has health problems but still enjoys going from time to time...She has had lung cancer and hip replace but gets around fairly well.I sent the hotel a request for a 2 bed room on 1st floor approx. 2 months ahead of time...when we got to the hotel they had us on 2nd floor and i ask to be moved to the 1st floor and also ac in our room was not working properly...i was told by the front desk to hold off till morning and we would be moved and in the meantime the ac would be fixed...Well it was never fixed and the next day we were not moved...i went to the front desk and after speaking to them and after talking to a lady named maria we would be moved later that day...Again that didn't happen so i went back and asked to speak to manager...they refused and again maria told me as a matter of fact verbally promised to move us later that day...well not...An influx of locals checked in to the hotel because of some type of holiday weekend deal and therefore we weren't moved but a promise from maria for a monday move was then given...Spoke to several front desk personnel but no one would let me speak to manager...We were never moved and my grandmother hung in there but i would never go back to this place...i do not deal with dishonest people and liars very well...It was a simple matter and they showed no respect to the elderly and could have cared less.....but i will say this...the hotel itself was nice...the grounds well kept...beaches and pools nice...the food was good...location good...all personnel at the hotel were cordial except for the front desk...the room needed deep cleaning but was otherwise ok....killed a few spiders crawling on the walls...the housekeepers were great...i realized they dont have the time to deep clean...thats understandable....but just saying i would find a better place to stay...shop around...and thanks for reading...jim

Room Tip: Don' t stay here....better to be had...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

This was our 3rd time at this hotel and my whole family love it there. We keep going back to the resort as the people working at the resort are very friendly and are always eager to please you.

Rooms: The rooms need some renovations but then it is not a major issue as it is only used at night time only. We had 3 different problems with our room during our 3 weeks stay but Aneudy and Francisco from guest services were amazing and very effective at getting the problems fixed right away. Once the handyman was there in 5 mins and the other times, the problems were fixed when we were not even in the room but enjoying ourselves on the beach. But the problems were fixed the same day.

Beach: Beautiful white sand beach. There are many waves but my children loved them.

Food: We had no problem finding something to eat with the variety of food offered at the buffet. It was always nice to go eat at the buffet where our servers, Ambrorix, Miguel, Wilson and Wanel would always welcome us with a big smile and making sure that we have something to drink. The resort offers food 24 hrs a day. For lunch we would always eat at the snack bars where they offer you hamburgers, baked chicken, fried chicken, pizza, salad, french fries or the creperie where you could have crepes with cheese and chicken and their amazing cheesesauce.

Animation: DJ Wander and DJ Junior are very friendly and they made our stay enjoyable. The music they played always get everyone dancing. Luigi and Ludo, from animation were very good at entertaining us by making us laugh all the time.

Bars: Josue, Gorge, Francisco and Obama are very nice and friendly bartenders. They always welcome you with a big smile and they always remembered our usual drinks. They are also very fast at serving.

We will definitely go back next year.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
CCP2012, Manager at Tropical Princess Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, September 20, 2012
Dear Marie,

We are truly thrilled to read about the wonderful experience you had on your most recent stay here at Tropical Princess.

We are also exceptionally glad to learn that the issues you encountered were resolved in a timely fashion to your satisfaction. In addition, it fills us with great pride to receive you compliments about our hotel, food and personnel, please be assured that your special recognition to Aneudy & Francisco (Guest Service), Ambiorix, Miguel, Wilson & Wanel (Restaurant), DJ Wander, DJ Junior, Luigi & Ludo (Animation), Josue, Gorge, Obama & Antonio (Bar) will be passed on to their person.

We would sincerely like to thank you for taking the opportunity to air your thoughts about our hotel and we will be more than happy to offer you a warm welcome on your next visit to the Princess Hotels.

Yours Truly,

Julio Paulino
Resident Manager

Been to Tropical Princess Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!