“Great trip in mid July!!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Tropical Princess Beach Resort & Spa

Save Saved
You added Tropical Princess Beach Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Tropical Princess Beach Resort & Spa
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playas de Bavaro | Playa Arena Gorda, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #58 of 100 hotels in Punta Cana
Barrie, Canada
“Great trip in mid July!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

We, a family of 5, went on a last minute trip to this hotel from July17-24. We had a great time. Really loved the location of the resort. Food was good, just enough for 4 stars.Have to try the La Creperie for crepes, ice cream, shakes. Very Good!! Bars were well equipped, bartenders nice. Only staff at photo booth and the activity booth were disconnected and uninterested treating any question a waste of their time. All other employees were great. Reception area and staff were very friendly and courtious.Beach towels were not so easy to get, usually out. We had ours for 4 days before we got hold of fresh ones. No problem with lounge chairs, always found some to sit on. Check in, check out easy. Transfer to and from airport about 25 min. I have nothing bad to say about the hotel. Everything was as expected, it sure gave us 4 stars, did not expect more or less. Kids used the teen club, liked to play pool and learn archery. Nightly shows were so, so. A little boring, but maybe we have seen too many of these.
Pools were great, one really nice with lots of shady spots. I would return and recommend to friends. We got no mosquitoe bites, that was great. Water both in the Sea and pools was just amazing.We got a family suite with 3 beds and 2 bathrooms - that was a welcomed bonus with a 5 member family! Rooms were basic, more on the smaller side, but sufficient and comfortable. The air conditioner was quiet, but not too cool, the ceiling fans helped. The maid was super fast and room was always made up early. When you take a stroll and turn left on the beach, keep going for about 10-15 minutes, you'll get to all the beach shops. If you go in the morning you get better deals. In the late afternoons they don't really go down in price for merchandise. Some vendors at the hotel on 2 nights, not a problem, but they are pushy just like everywhere. There are shops near the lobby, but beware:Very expensive! But they have all the necessities you might need, be prepared to pay triple or quadruple the worth compared to a wal-mart. Overall very good experience!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
CCP2012, Manager at Tropical Princess Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 7, 2012
Dear Guest,

It is very elevating to read your very detailed and honest description about your experience here at Tropical Princess and we are glad to have been a part of the memorable vacation you had.

We would like to thank you for complimenting on the food we prepare, the Creperie which we pride ourselves for, our bars and bartenders who work hard to give our guests the best and our staff who go above and beyond daily.

On the mention of the beach towels, we truly apologize and we wish to express our interest to improve this service.

On the topic of the photo booth and it’s staff, we regret having to hear about the attitude they demonstrated and we assure you that your comments will be passed on to the main offices with the expectation of avoiding any future issue.

Once again, we appreciate the opportunity you took to air your opinions about your stay with us and we await your next visit to the Princess Hotels.

Yours Truly,

1,120 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
  • Polish first
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2012

stayed here in august of 2010 with my girlfriend. we had an amazing time, food was great, beach was awesome. staff was very nice. not a single complaint about the trip except 2 nights they allow vendors to come in an sell stuff in the middle of the resort. we found some to be very pushy and were worried they would follow us back to our room so we always went out the back way and avoided it after that. i would love to go back! we sat in on the beach right next to the bar!
oh and when they fill your fridge with drinks put them in your bag before you leave that way you get a full refill and can enjoy some drinks in your room later!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

It is a pleasure to read about the great experience you had with us here at Tropical Princess.

We appreciate the fact that you thought the food was great and that our staff was very nice, we hope to continue to provide such satisfying service to all guests.

We would like to apologize for the vendors and their behavior, please be assured that internally we will be taking the necessary measures in attempt to eliminate this issue while in the mean time, passing on your comments to their main office to avoid any future inconveniences.

Once again, we thank you for your compliments on our hotel and we hope to expect you in the near future at the Princess Hotels.

Best Regards,

Burlington, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

Myself as well as 65 others all travelled in a large group and stayed at this beautiful resort. Me and a few of my close friends were in the pool majority of the time and absolutely loved the swim up bar! Jose Obama and Antonio de Jesus made our time there 10x more enjoyable. They were so funny and nice and always had a smile on their faces. They kept us entertained with their great humour, dance moves, service and of coarse the Mama Juana. We all had an unforgettable experience and wonderful vacation. We're sure we will be back some time in the near future!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
CCP2012, Manager at Tropical Princess Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 29, 2012
Dear Nicki,

We would like to thank you for having chosen Tropical Princess for your family vacation; it is a pleasure for us to hear that your experience at our resort left a memorable impression on all of you.

We appreciate your compliments towards Jose Obama & Antonio from the pool bar, we realize that these employees are a real asset to the Princess Hotels and we will pass your comments on to them.

Once again, thank your for you positive feedback and we look forward to you and your family’s next visit.

Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

Traveled June 14 , 2012 to June 28,2012 ( 2 weeks) 2 Adults , 3 kids 10,8 and 5 yrs old

Plane: We flew with Sunwing I got to say I was amazed and pleased with the service , on time , got champagne , food and the kids got a little back pack with little puzzles etc.

Arrival at resort: Quick ..we were served right away , they gave us a cold drink and someone helped us with our luggage's straight to our room.

Room: Family Suite: AMazing, Spacious , clean and lots of room...it had a master room with a Queen bed with a full bathroom and a very big closet ..then you go thru a door and there we 2 other beds, a full bathroom and another large closet with the safe .. the refrigerator was stocked daily with water , coke , 7up.... every room got a complimentary Rum bottle...the maid Maria was amazing...the bed sheets were changed everyday....I loved the Family Suites they were walking distance to everything ...pool, beach , restaurants....to get to the front lobby a bus would pass every 8 minutes at the bus stop located everywhere to bring you were you needed to go.
*** we had cold/hot water everyday..just once we did not have any cold water ...we called downstairs and within a few minutes the handy man was at out door to check it out ...amd the same time he cleaned the drains **** I was amazed on the fast service.

Pools: 3 gorgeous pools always clean..they were so big that you would not notice the other people around

Beach: Gorgeous, but a lot of waves and algae //sand was nice and clean.

Food: the buffet breakfast was okay...not much variety.
Lunch: was amazing and it changed everyday
Supper: they changed the theme every night ..very good food
Drinks: whatever you asked they had.

Brazilian Restaurant: ( on reservation) Delicious
Dominican Restaurant ( on reservation) Loved it
Beach Restaurant : ( they serve Pizza, Chicken , fries) Amazing, Delicious

on the Resort there was also a Japanese , Seafood and Mexican Restaurant I cannot coment since I did not go, but people we meet said it was Amazing

**** Very Important you need to tip...if you want service , fast etc you need to tip ..what we did we choose a few waiters and always sat in there area ..they saw us from a mile away and would reserve our seats ******

Vendors on the beach: you need to be very careful there prices are crazy, example I broke my sunglasses and needed a new pair ..he original wanted 30$ us..I ended up paying 8$ US
the vendors at the far end of the beach and asking crazy ..crazy prices for the paintings..everyday the prices change...

Excursions: we went to swim with the Sharks and Stingrays...we truly enjoyed this excursions..but do not believe them when they say that there will be 15 sharks..cause when you get there they only let 1 shark out and the rest are in cages....there are alot of stingrays and you can take a picture with either..it cost us 25$ for a picture with the shark...the whole package for the 5 of us was 260$...be very careful with the vendors walking the beaches..they will sell you anything with no guarantee..we bought ours from a cabin that is on the beach attached to the resort...they gave us the best price and I liked the way they treated us.

Snorkeling: amazing we says many beautiful fished

Banana Boat: Fun in the water..but if you have small children they might not like it cause the speed boat needs to go a little fast to make the banana boat float...my 8 year old daughter screamed and yelled the whole time..she was scared so we did not do the whole 45 minutes..we stopped after 15 minutes.

Sunwing Representative at the resort: I did not like him...he sent us on a walking spree for 45 minutes ..telling us that the market was only 5 minutes away..when I came back and told him he just surged his shoulders..I booked a bus with him for the next day to go the shopping mall... appt for pick-up was 9h30 well we waited ..and waited and waited till 10h45 and guess what he forgot to call it in..so the front desk had to call him on his cell...he told me that it was is day off and I needed to decide asap if I would accept the bus to pick us up at 1h00.. I was not happy the way he spoke to me since this was his error and he is telling me that I am wasting his time ..humm something is wrong there...anyways finally took the bus to the mall...not worth it everything is very very expensive everyone on the bus came back empty handed.

Resort: Beautiful , clean and very big since the Tropical Princess and the Caribe are the same resort.
Shows at night : A MUST SEE...EVERY show was AMAZING..the costumes and the dances left me speechless

My BIGGEST DISAPPOINTMENT : DAYCARE: we travel every year ..this was the 1st time I left my kids at the daycare for 2 1/2 hrs ..they asked me and made me sign that I did not want my kids to be left alone at the pool someone needed to be by there side all the time especially my 5 yr old..well we went to pick them up and to my surprise...my 5 yrs old was walking alongside the pool alone and the daycare person was no where to be found..I was a little shocked..I took my son and went to our room..I stood on my balcony ...the daycare worker came back only 15 minutes later and she did not even notice that we had taken our 3 kids???? my advise do not leave your kids at the daycare.

Stores on Resort: EXPENSIVE...bring enough sun tan lotion ..if you forget or run out expect to pay 35$US for sun tan lotion.

****the ONLY complaints I have for this resort is ..on the weekend they allow the Dominican's to book rooms for 2 days ( Friday and Saturday), since the Bavaro beach is a private beach..... those 2 days there is a chaos everywhere..they cut in front of you at the buffet....they try to take your towels or hut... the kids run around the pool knocking you or anything in there way and no one or no parent says anything *****also before I booked I read the reviews and it is true the French from France oh boy very rude and disrespectful*** also the 1st few days we among other people were having an issue with the girl ( Pamela) that seats u at the buffet..I spoke to the manager and it was regulated asap ..her attitude changed immediately.

The Resorts was beautiful , clean and safe but I went once and there is really nothing that draws me to go back....unlike Jamaica or Cuba I will keep on go back 100x ..the people are much more cheerful and warm...

Room Tip: Family room are great..very spacious , we were on the top floor (3206) always had water and the beds...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

We really appreciate the effort you took to post a review about our resort. Our goal is to satisfy the expectations of our guests and it is always refreshing to learn that we were able to do so.

In regards to the Sunwing Representative, we assure you that your comments will be forwarded to the local office of Sunwing to avoid any future issues of this sort.

On the topic of the daycare, we truly apologize for the uncomfortable situation and we inform you that we will be revising the present process taking into consideration your opinion in order to improve the quality of this service.

In reference to the attitude displayed by the hostess at the buffet, we would like to express our sincerest apologies and we are glad to hear that this situation was resolved as soon as you spoke to one of our managers.

We regret the impression you have taken on the matter of the locals not being well organized on our part, we will take your feedback very much into consideration.

Once again, we thank you for airing your feelings about your experience and hope to expect you in the near future at Tropical Princess.

Swansea, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2012

beautiful gardens,very good food, nice clean beach.rooms could be more tidy and modern but still acceptable.

Really ennoyed with local people selling thing/trips.

Must try mamajuana !

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2012

(may 3-10) (to keep in mind that the "tropical princess" and carribe club princess" is the same resort)

Traveled with 2 friends (mini-grad trip) for a week, this is my 4 time to punta cana.

Lets start from the beginning, when we got there are room was not ready but the manager quickly looked around and found us an upgraded room in the Carribe club princess. The room was nice and kept very clean (even when my friend puked everywhere), the water and pop was refilled everyday. (I had read some review stating bed bugs and i checked, all 3 beds and none were to be found). Everything worked fine in the room, but 3 days in the display on the thermostat died. We proceeded to call the maintenance but they understood nothing so we just looked around and found a worker who fixed it right away. I found the service to be good, some mornings tho we did have to wait a little for coffee. The beach, there were many sales plp on the edge of the beach and this did get annoying, the water was nice although very wavy and alot of algae was pushed up onto the beach and surface of the water. The hotel did its best at cleaning it up sending 20guys to clean the beach every morning. For overall cleanliness the hotel was very clean nothing more to say. FOOD being young adults this is are life (and drinking), breakfast was continental every morning (not much change), lunch had some variety and if you dint like it or wanted change you could always go get a hot dog, hamburger and fries from the snack bar on the beach (witch we were often too lazy and opted many times for the snack bar). The super i enjoyed, it had a different theme every night and the hotel offered 2 "a la carte" restaurants witch were included in tropical princess package witch were very good (Dominican and Brazilian). For the shops, i suggest the divide by 5 and bargain from there approach. I don't suggest the bavaro macket they are very aggressive sellers. i recommend "chez nicole" or even better the punta cana dutty free shop at the airport. For the excursions, we did the boogie/4x4 in the mud. it was alot of fun but we had a good price. we paid 230$ for 2 4x4 and 1 boogie (we got the trip on the edge of the beach and bargained) also if you do this trip, bring a waterproof camera cause you will get soaked and pictures there are 10$ each. they also want you to buy a bandanna 5$ for the mud in your face. (*tip*) bring your own or don't buy one... not wort it. For the shows at night, we went to 2 of them and they were good, not very good but good.

I recommend this hotel but i recommend even more the carribe princess and the carribe club princess VIP package (comes with beer in your room, choice of some imported beer and mixes at the bar also allows you to go to ANY a la carte restaurants including the ones you usually have to pay (seafood and another one). they also give 1h of internet per person for the week.

anyway hope this will help, enjoy your future vacation!!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Twillingate, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2012

Travelled with 2 teenagers for 1 week in April. We had 2 rooms - directly across the hall from each other. The rooms were basic but kept very clean . The high ceilings were a nice feature. We stayed in Villa Jazmin, which we found to be a great location - near the beach. Our rooms were on the second floor at the back of the building, very quiet. We saw only one bug - on the last night! Plenty of hot water.

The resort has beautiful, well kept grounds. The lobby was also very nice. Check in and out were
very efficient. Our rooms were ready when we arrived - around 3pm and we didn't have to wait
long for our luggage.

The kids really enjoyed the buffet which is where we ate every morning and most evenings. I would rate the food as average and as with most buffets,after eating there for a week , the food began to look and taste the same. We did try the Brazillian and Dominican restaurants and liked them both.

We took 2 day excursions - Seavis tours to Saona Island and the Country adventure tour (which was recommended by our Sunwing rep) We really enjoyed them both.

We had 2 very windy days - unable to swim in the ocean - spent those days around the pool.
Tried the parasailing and banana boat ride - lots of fun. Never had a problem getting a chair at the beach or at the pool and didn't get up early to 'save' them.

Weren't impressed with the nightly shows.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family

Been to Tropical Princess Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!