“First Experience and Worst Experience - Theft.” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Caribe Club Princess Beach Resort & Spa

Save Saved
You added Caribe Club Princess Beach Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Caribe Club Princess Beach Resort & Spa
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playas de Bavaro, Punta Cana 22000, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #61 of 100 hotels in Punta Cana
Ottawa, Canada
“First Experience and Worst Experience - Theft.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

This was my first trip down to the Caribbean (April 28 - May 5 2013). I went with my mom, and needless to say we will not be going back. We arrived Sunday afternoon and was not informed that our room would not be ready, so we ended up waiting in the lobby of our building for 45 minutes until the maid finished cleaning our room. Our shower head had no pressure at all, so we couldn't shower, and we had no hot water. The air conditioner did not work in our room, and we asked the front desk to check it out. We were informed that it was another country and to expect the heat in our room. They ended up coming to check the air conditioner after my mom called three times. They fixed it for the night, however, the next morning it broke completely. We informed the front desk of this the next morning and by 4 o'clock that afternoon, nothing had been done. We called again and they finally decided to give us another room. We were told our new room was ready and that someone would be by shortly to pick up our bags. An hour later we got a call from the bellman who said our room was not ready and that he was not coming to get us. Then the front desk called us back, COMPLETELY forgetting that they were switching our rooms, and asked us if our shower head had been fixed (which it hadn't) We informed them that they were moving us to another room. "Oh ya" they said they didn't recognize our voice. We explained about the bellman and they were confused as to why we had not switched rooms yet. Overall, the first day and a half we spent waiting and waiting for things to be fixed.

Finally we moved to our new VIP room. It was a very nice room, the beds were more comfortable, we had hot water and shower pressure, and to top it all off.. our air conditioner was actually working! The next morning, however, our toilet would not flush. We called around 6:30 in the morning, and they said they would send someone right away. 3 hours later, nobody had come, so I decided to go to the front desk - Which worked. Don't bother calling for help... it's better to go and see them yourself.. things get done faster that way. They fixed our toilet, and ended up giving us a free hour of internet for all our trouble (though, we had to ask.. they did not offer it).

The rest of the week was great. We ate at the Italian, Shanghai, and Mexican. All three meals were terrific! We booked the Brazilian, however, due to their severe lack of organization.. they called and cancelled it on us, which was too bad because I only heard great things. The buffet had a different theme each night, some nights were better than others but overall good food. The snack bars were great! I was disappointed that the pools closed by 7, and if you wanted a snack at midnight you were out of luck. We did not make it to the disco, as it was off the resort, however, there was a bus to take you there.. but you had to pay for drinks past midnight. Also, there was a huge lack of information on the shows at night, so we did not go to those either.

As for our rep (Sunwing - Ana)... Useless. We were told only about the things you had to pay for... nothing of what was free and came with our package. Also, we were told that you could go shopping for free at any time. We booked for Wednesday at 10 in the morning. When we got to the lobby, we were informed that the only time the bus would come to get us was at 11:30 - so again we had to wait. The bus ended up coming late, and took us to the actual retail mall, where the prices were ridiculous. We wanted authentic, native shops, and we got a shopping mall with brand names. Thankfully, one of the couples we went with got the bus driver to take us to the authentic shops and pick us up. I think they were better help then our rep.

With regards to the beach on the resort - it was beautiful. However, if you wanted a peaceful time you do not get it as there are people walking up and down the beach that are in your face trying to sell you things.

Unfortunately, the last day of our trip was the most disturbing. With all the troubles we had at the beginning of our week, we thought the worst was over. I was packing my suitcase and realized I was missing a dress. I knew that I had brought it, I wore it two nights prior, had a picture of me wearing it, and I also knew I did not leave it at the beach as I only wore it out for dinner. I informed my mom, and she checked her suitcase only to find one of her dress tops was missing. I called the front desk, frantic, and they told me to come see them. I had to fill out a report, and then security had to come to my room and go through EVERYTHING. They did not find the dress, but they made me feel like it was my fault - saying.. well maybe you only thought you brought it (when I showed them the picture of me wearing it.. they changed their attitude). Then I was told.. well maybe you left it on the beach. I said not possible as I don't wear my dresses to the beach, and I am very careful with my items. They proceeded to tell me that maybe it accidentally got sent to the laundry and that when I came to the front lobby in the morning it would be there. Can you say BULLS***T. I went to the lobby in the morning, had to explain my story to another person, who again told me that maybe I left it at home or on the beach. At this point I had had it. I was tired of getting the run-around. I knew that one of the maids (mostly likely ours) had stolen our clothes, and they would not take any responsibility for it, nor would they own up to the fact that they might have a problem with theft. An investigation had to be performed before they would let me know anything. They also told me it was strange to hear of clothes being stolen, however, I looked at reviews later on and found that there were many complaints of theft. I asked if I would be compensated and they said they didn't know, and to e-mail them when I got home - Needless to say..it has been two weeks now and nothing has been done.

So here are my conclusions. The resort is nice..If you are going to stay here, definitely stay in the VIP room. Make sure you lock as much of your valuables up in the safe as possible. As for your suitcase, I advise you lock that up too. The closer it gets to you leaving, the better the chances that something will be stolen from your suitcase, as most people don't realize something is missing until they get home. My advice would just be to lock EVERYTHING.. and do a thorough check of your things at least a day before you leave. It was an unfortunate situation, as this was my first time to the Caribbean. It ruined my experience tremendously, and I will never return to Punta Cana again. I know everyone's experience is different, and my mom and I were probably just those people that it was going to happen to. But I just want to warn everyone - because you never know, and it could happen to you. So if you plan on staying at the Caribe Club Princess - BEWARE

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

2,069 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (217)
New York, New York, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

It could be a nice place to vacation. But the owners and managers have to do a lot of work in order to make that happen. Not that long ago I spend my vacation in Punta Cana Princess, a sister hotel few hundred feet away. It’s not perfect, but overall it’s a very nice hotel and the things are under control. Even though the owners are the same, this hotel has all sorts of problems: bad room maintenance, poor air conditioning system, very so-so service. (Air conditioner feels inadequate and it took 15 phone calls and a hunt for a repairman to figure out that I have to use a fan in order to make the room feel a bit cooler.) Front desk was initially terrible (unhelpful, once forgot to do a wakeup call, but during the stay they improved.) But the major issue was the face that I and at least another 5 guests that I know got stomach problems. I am not sure exactly why. When I went to a local doctor, she said she wasn’t aware of the mass stomach problems. That was another sign of guest service that could use an improvement. (The doctor visit cost me about $330 after some bargaining and yes, it is very much for profit medical office even though I am not sure if the hotel gets a cut.) Not sure why stomach problems were so wide spread, but if the management is bad that would apply to probably to kitchen and bar management. For example, one mistake with handling water for cooking (tap water can’t be used since its undrinkable) and stomach problems are likely. I know that they try to address management problems by bring on board new capable managers such as Rukenia. But they have a long way to go. And another sister hotel nearby, Tropical Princess, I heard had rooms in condition that was even worse. So that made me feel a bit better. The hotel grounds are beautiful, nicer that at Punta Cana Princess. But there is a nice swamp with all kinds of exotic species. But I think that swamp is a reason for nasty mosquitos. That’s another problem this hotel can’t really control.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here from may 10, 2013 to may 17, 2013 and is was by far the worst place we have ever stayed at.

I understand we're in a different country but on a resort I think it should be mandatory for all staff to speak English. And barely anyone did. It was completely frustrating. We had issues with our lock on our door two different times and the people that came to fix it didnt speak emglish at all... They had no idea what we were saying and we had no clue what came out of their mouth.

FOOD: Absolutely disgusting... No variety at all, it looked like the same things were served day in and day out.

The pushy people trying to sell you things to do (like activities) was very irritating. Everyday we must have been approach at least 10 times a day by the same people... No thank you means, no thank you... But no they consistently tried.

Word of advice if anyone from "Royal Holiday" approaches you (and they will be they stand right in front of the buffet) say NO... It's a time share thing and they waste your time completely... It took us am hour to explain to them that we are not interested and do not want to commit to this and then they call their manager and is will keep trying to talk and ignore what your saying. Very annoyed and a completely waste of time.

Room: The AC in our room did not work at all. We called and they said they'd send someone and they might of but it still didnt work... Which sucks because their is no where on the resort with AC to get away from the heat.

I can go on and on but I will stop here... Do not go here... Worst place we have ever ever stayed at.

This place has turned us off from Dominican all together and we will not be returning.

• Stayed May 2013
Vancouver, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

I'M HUNGRY!!!

This is the 3rd time in 5 days I woke up, hungry from the lack of food the night before. its 11am and there is no food. The main buffet is closed till 12:30 so they can clear it and reset for lunch, ok, np, I understand and there is a snack bar with burgers, fries, some fruit BUT ITS F"N CLOSED TOO!!!!!

+ there is a creperie that opens at 1:30 - 5. OH Wait the times on the sign say 130-5 HS (High Season)

So just a quick rant I'm a little pissed and extremely hungry after last nights disappointing Al A Cart,

Good news with the lack of food and the hot weather I think I lost weight.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

My husband and I just got back from Punta Cana and we stayed at the Caribe Club Princess from May 5-10th. At first I was hesitant to stay here since it is voted as the best family resort and we don't have any kids currently. But what a fabulous time we had. From the first day we got there, the check out the the airport was qick, we got to our hotel very quickly and we were the only ones checking in. So the check-in went smoothly. The employees Albania and Jeffery were really helpful and greeted up with a smile.

Since the resort was not very busy we didn't have to wait long for our rooms, we got a great ocean view room, 2310, highly recommended.

The employees at the resort I found was friendly and we found a lot of employees could speak English. Also be kind and leave a tip when you are either at the buffet or one of the speciality dinning. You will recieve good treatment in return, and if you can go to a resturant in Canada and tip why not when you are on vacation.

The staff after a couple of days upgraded us to the VIP package, and it is definitely well worth it. You get free imported drinks (Miller beer, absolute vodka etc) anything you want they had it. You got a free 20 min message by the beach or pool, I would pay the extra and get the VIP package.

All in all, this is a great resort and I would go again in a heart beat. We got treated well by all the staff. Note, please remember to bring bug repellant, there are mosquitos around. The food at the buffet was good...we couldn't ask for more.

The best part about going in May is that resort is not that busy, so no hassle finding a spot on the beach or by the pool.

Thank you Caribe for making our vacation great!!

Room Tip: 2310 is a great room with a great view.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
corona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

Just got back from Punta Cana 2 weeks ago. It was only my friend and I " mommy getaway"
we had the best service ever! staff was wonderful, Took good care of us. We loved the Resort.
our room was steps away from the pool and beach with a balcony. Room was well clean.
" Best of all was affortable vaccation" ..

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Yarmouth NS
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

My husband and I got to this resort and had a relaxing stress free week. The great people who work at this resort made sure of that from the moment we stepped off the bus. We had a beautiful room overlooking the ocean and pool with palm trees just in front of our balcony! We went VIP and was worth every penny, the room was large and well kept, never had a problem with having our fridge stocked with lots of water, beer and pop. We had room service every morning and have to thank Eddie for always making it special, he was terrific! If you have any questions Hilda will always answer them with a smile. This resort has the friendliness bartenders that I have ever met. Wallie at the swimup bar, Candida at the lobby bar and Roosevelt at the beach bar (our Dominican son lol) We enjoyed them so much. The beach was beautiful with lots of palapas (never had to go early to get one) The water was a little rough until the last two days but hey that is mother natures doing. The resort is laid out well and I found the walk through the mangroves to the lobby wonderful! The lobby is large, comfy and quite relaxing. The food-we ate lunch at the beach and it was very good (they sure know how to cook chicken yum!) We went to the Crepiery once and it was very tasty. At supper we did the the Brazilian (sooo good) and VIP was allowed one of the restaurant that you pay for and we went to the La Carve and we were treated like royalty. We had the New York steak and it was to die for!!! We were there for two hours. At the buffet we found the Pasta station was delicious. the rest was the same as most resorts, there is always something for everyone. We only went to see two shows and they were okay. We would like to say hi to Denise, Carl, Brenda, John and Bill and Rose it was very nice to meet you all and enjoyed your company it was fun! Over all we had a blast and I wasn't ready to come home. It was very scenic and welcoming! The next time we go to the DR we will be going back to the Caribe Club Princess! Again the people there are wonderful and will make your vacation one to remember! We are yearly vacationers so we have alot to compare to and this resort is very high on our list. We were here from April 27th to May 4th.

Room Tip: Our room was 2207 and was close to everything with a beautiful view and at night never heard a thing...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Caribe Club Princess Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!