“Stuck in Punta Cana” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Caribe Club Princess Beach Resort & Spa

Save Saved
You added Caribe Club Princess Beach Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Caribe Club Princess Beach Resort & Spa
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playas de Bavaro, Punta Cana 22000, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #60 of 100 hotels in Punta Cana
Stratham, New Hampshire
“Stuck in Punta Cana”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

We were staying at Iberostar Dominicana and when we left our flight home got cancelled due to snow back home. We couldn't get a flight home for 5 days and the only resort we could get into was this one. It was adequate and a nice facility covering a large area. You definitely get what you pay for. It was noisy at night. Place was at bit un down, not enough beach towels, many broken beach towels, grounds not very well maintained, and you were constantly approach by sales people when when went to the buffet trying to talk you into listening to a sales pitch. For us it was a place to stay while we waited for a flight home. not a resort I would knowingly choose to stay at.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

2,079 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (219)
Vaughan, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

Just returned from Punta Cana Feb 21 2013. My wife and I have been to the DR 4 times ,THIS WAS THE WORST HOTEL WE STAYED AT. We were a group of 24 there for a family reunion and we all had issues with the hotel . LUCKY US we had a good room (#1231) compared to some of the other rooms that had no shower door, no toilet paper holder, no hot water, no A/C, old worn out bathroom towels, a dripping pipe over head in the washroom and a bad smell of mold. Our parents had a room on the ground floor and some one had tried to get in through the patio door, giving some credit the lock was quickly replaced.

THE FOOD, what can we say , no bacon???? what hotel has no bacon, we were told that they only had bacon ever other day and there was always a shortage of food and not a big selection. It seemed that the hotel could not keep up with the guests. There was a restaurant called La Cava that had a $35.00 per person surcharge , we had made reservation for 16 of us one night. When we arrived they had only set up our table for 11 people and it only went down hill from there. Even though the servers took down the food orders, that never ment that you would get the correct meal. Save yourself the $35.00/person and eat at the other included restaurants (big waste of money). The best service we had was at the Mexican restaurant. If you ordered a drink at the start of your meal and asked for it a few more times, you may have gotten it by the end of your meal if you were lucky.

Beach towels were very hard to come by, if you didn't get there first thing in the morning, you would be waiting for a very long time and this scenario played out every day. We have been to many hotels that allow you to exchange your towels at the end of the day for the next morning. To be on the safe side we kept our towels from the day before. The chairs on the beach must have been the hand me downs of all the other local hotels . They were old and comeing apart.

We were told by one of the front desk managers that the hotel was only 7-8 years old, by the looks of it we would say at least 15-20 years old. It NEEDS alot of TLC. We have never been so disappointed with a hotel like we were with the Caribe Club Princess. We expected more from the Princess Hotel chain. This was our first time staying at a Princess hotel and the last.

TO UPPER/HEAD OFFICE MANAGMENT it is the small things that count and it is what people remember about their vacation, so do something about these issues instead of making promises to your guests that you can't keep.

Ottawa, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

I have never been so disappointed in any resort.

[Front Desk]:

First time ever in Punta Cana and got a very unprofessional terrible service at the front desk. The lady attending us was extremely rude. She behaved as if she didn’t want to check us in. We paid for the VIP Suite package and she didn’t give it to us. She kept on rolling her eyes, taking deep breaths, and cutting us off whenever we were talking. What kind of treatment is that for first time customers that are helping the economy of your country and keeping you employed??? How did she get this job? What kind of courses did she take, if any? We did filed a complaint but came to find out later that she is the manager of Reception. Her name is Ruquenia. If she were to work in Canada she would have been fired at the interview!

[Internet Service Desk]:

We went to get information on our first day about the Internet and we dealt with a chubby very dark black dude. Wow...I guess Ruquenia trained him too. This guy was so useless and hardly made any eye contact. He kept on taking deep breaths to answer almost every question as if whatever he was doing on his computer was more important than attending a customer. The following day I went back ready to user their local computers to get online. I was "trying" to confirm the details from the previous day at which point he answered: "I have already explained to you yesterday!". So anyway I started using the Internet for 15 min. and couldn't get anywhere. The computer was very slow and kept freezing. I informed him about it and he replied: "That's the way they are!" (without even looking at me). So then a man from France walks in and started inquiring about the service and suddenly this guy jumps out his chair, started giving him pamphlets, and offered him deals I never heard. So I figured out that since I'm not from France I must have deserved that crappy service.

[Rooms]:

Our suite had mould under the fridge (check images). The shower was sprinkling water at a rate of 3 drops per second. The balcony sliding door was broken. I reported this to customer relations and dealt with (Hilda Garcia). She recited me the (we’re-not-gonna-do-anything-about-it) script which promised a change of suite after an “immediate” room inspection. When the inspector finally showed up at bed time he agreed that it was mould and that the door was indeed broken but he needed to report back to her. Nothing was done the entire week!

[Overall Service]:

These people don't deserve our hard earned money. About 90% of the staff couldn't care less about their jobs. Most of them looked like they didn't want to be there, do any work, or be bothered with questions. But is it our fault? Don't take it up with a paying customer! We even had to beg for extra bottles of water to brush our teeth from the maids. One of the maids always refused and another did give us some bottles but with bad attitude. How do you expect a family of 4 to manage with only 4 bottles a day!!! In one occasion we actually had to ask at the buffet to fill up a bottle for us. They are way too proud to be courteous. Some of them cursed each other behind their backs. Too many negative incidents we noticed and experienced.

[Dania]:

So I have established that the overall service is crap but in the midst of this terrible service thank God there was a lady at the buffet restaurant that showed us there was some good left in that motel. She was a waitress and her name was Dania. She was very professional, very charismatic, and went beyond the scope of her job to find out about some excursion questions we had, and she did it fast. If only 15% of the staff would learn from Dania the overall hotel rating would actually be 4 stars.

[Food]:

The food is ok and not 4-star quality. I’m surprised at all those comments saying the food was great but not the week we went. On two different days the tomatoes were spoiled. The vegetable salads and fruits were not fresh at all. For a tropical country they only had a few different kinds of fruits (in Mexico they have ALL the tropical fruits). This place served mangoes with the pit inside. My family liked the corn muffins for breakfast. They do seem to bake different types of fresh bread which was very good. So I filled up on bread every day. I actually lost weight on this trip. We did 2 excursions and their food was way better than in this resort.

["A-la-carte" Mexican Restaurant]:

The food was simply bad. You get a kid’s size portion after 1 hour wait. Waters/waitresses were only nice after we tipped them in $US. They just don't have the genuine good customer service in them. I ordered “churros” for dessert which is a hot Mexican sweet snack. They served me only 2 churros, one covered with chocolate syrup and the other with jam. They were served cold!

[Bugs]:

There are mosquitoes at this place. We got bitten!

[Sunwing Representative - Anna]:

So we went to the orientation and in every country it is so entertaining to hear the scary Sunwing stories to not do business with the locals. Anyway, I checked the excursion prices offered by Sunwing and compared with the locals. As always Sunwing prices are almost double. I made really good deals with Johan which is another 3rd party agent within the resort (who works at the main entrance of the Coralillo building). He told Anna by accident that I bought all my excursions from him instead of her. This is when Anna flipped and held a grudge on us until our departure. She informed everyone except us that our plane was delayed until 9pm. We could have slept in until 3pm instead of checking out at 7:45am. On our last day she greeted everyone and literally walked through us without saying a word. Totally unprofessional. I guess Ruquenia trained her as well.

[Useful Information]:

* Animation Team is too over the top. Barely understood anything they say. The nightly shows were empty.
* Always compare Sunwing prices with local agents.
* For excursions contact Johan. He works at Coralillo building (#29 on their new map).
* For beach activities go with any locals even those at the beach (not Sunwing).
* Don't waste your time going to these "A-la-crap" restaurants since they have a different theme every night at the buffet (Chinese, Italian, Brazilian, Mexican, and Dominican).
* Generally, Haitians working there treat you better than Dominicans (with the exception of the dark chubby Internet guy and Anna from Sunwing).
* Don't bother giving tips to anyone except Dania and Francisca.

It's sad that most of the Dominicans at this hotel are stuck in their own little world. They need to experience different cultures outside the country, and most important learn about customer service. This was my most expensive trip ever and got such an extremely bad service. Can't wait to go back to Mexico!

Geneva
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

The hotel is situated next to a mangrove. The reception lounge is fabulous and the rooms are located in several small buildings painted in the caribe style. Few restaurants available, food is good, shows and entertainment is good. The hotel lays on a very long white sand beach, the tropical dream!
The Fitness local is dissapointing and be aware there is nothing to do outside the hotel. Don't miss to swim with the dolphins, amazing experience.

Room Tip: Rooms next to the swimming pool have excellent view but are very noisy because of the several activi...
Longueuil, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

This is not a 4 star, it's only 3 star...

We just came back yesterday and it was ok

1: we missing hot water every second day

2: No towel at the beach

3: It's was always the same food at the buffet breakfast and lunch

RESTAURANTS A LA CARTE: Italien to much salty
Bresilien very good
Mexican good

PERSONNEL: The staff very friendly
Glennys at the bar lamatica she was the best

ROOM: The room it was clean and comfortable

BEACH: Long beach to walk
The water it was not clear

Never go back again veru desapointed

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

I've been travelling around the world and have seen many many different cultures. I felt the need to tell the world about this place.

HOTEL: Definitely NOT a 4 star. It's a 3 star.

GROUNDS: Very nice.

FOOD : Don't know how to cook white rice (enough said).

ROOMS: They don't change the sheets. Week shower pressure.

DRINKS: The only thing not watered-down is the water.

ANIMATION TEAM:

Half of them are flaming homosexuals (not that there is anything wrong with that) but you don't have to be flamboyant when doing a show. Keep it professional!

SERVICE:

This is the hierarchy for dominicans. Their service keeps on degrading from 1 to 4:

1. If you are white from France you are their God.
2. White from Europe (Spain, Poland, Russia, Italy, German).
3. White from the rest of the world (Americans, Canadians).
4. Blacks.

Sad story but it's true. Overall if you are white you will get a very good service. Sure we own the world but I did notice the difference with the other cultures. I don't know what is their obsession with the people from France. They even have precedence over French Canadians. It's like they want to be colonized by France. I was embarrassed for dominicans. It's so degrading for them. Then I travelled across the country and noticed the same thing. I think dominicans don't have a sense of self-love or self-appreciation. I witnessed with my own eyes a few incidents with a few black people staying at this resort and my God I was shocked!!! If you are black you are pushed aside (but for some reason they think they are not blacks). I've never seen a more racist people in my life.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

I went for my birthday in july with a couple of friends, and we've been to all sorts of resorts from cuba to mexico and nothing is like the caribe club princess.. we want to o back there every time.. we're all in our 20's and the service was beyond amazing, the people were so nice and kind, the weather was perfect, the resort itself is a beauty compared to any i've seen and i'm a very picky person. I read these reviews that people wrote and i wanted to delete them. either they had one bad experience or they were very rude so they got the same respect back, but the service was perfect, obviously if you are nice to them and don't treat them like servants they will do the world for you. I disagree with all the bad reviews because we had amazing food everyday, i don't even know how much more to explain this place i'd rate a 20 out of 10. it was safe, clean, met so many friends that years later we still talk too, and the building we were in all rooms were really nice, it's the left side of the resort if you are standing on the beach with your back towards the water.. the balcony's overlooked the pool. But honestly it's worth the trip and the place itself is better than the photos. I always say experience it for yourself, because that's the best advisor.

Room Tip: To be honest, our agent from toronto booked the room and it was newly renovated so it was perfect.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Caribe Club Princess Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!