“Wish I had stayed home...” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Caribe Club Princess Beach Resort & Spa

You added Caribe Club Princess Beach Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Caribe Club Princess Beach Resort & Spa
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playas de Bavaro, Punta Cana 22000, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #60 of 102 Hotels in Punta Cana
Tulsa, Oklahoma
“Wish I had stayed home...”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

The vacation was interesting to say the least. There were several things that went bad impression first thing. We had to walk over to the other side of the resort with our bags. The staff would not take our bags for us so we had to wheel them behind us through the whole resort. When we got to the small front desk, there were other customers in front of us and it took forever. One of the customers was complaining that his air conditioning did not work and had not worked for more than 24 hours. The girl at the front desk stated that as it was Saturday there was no one there to fix it for him. He insisted on being changed to a different room and said he would not leave until he was accomodated as he had complained all this time with no help. We saw him later that night and he got moved to an ocean front room but had to wait for several hours at the front desk before he was moved.

The weather was alright. It was cooler than it should have been and very windy mostly and that made it hard to enjoy the beach. Pretty much like being sand blasted every day. I sat in sweat pants and a jacket trying to just pass the time all day. That was tough. Sitting by the pool was just plain boring and the pool was freezing cold. My boyfriend would not even get in it because it was so cold. They had something that looked like a hot tub at both pools but it was the same temperature as the pool. Cold! So, the one thing that would have been entertaining was miserable. You could barely stand to get in the pool. The beach was beautiful just like I remembered but the water was rough. You couldn't just get in it without fighting the undertow and the waves. I should have taken the hotel reviews under more advisement to. They were right. The beds in the room were very hard. The first room we were in had two twin beds joined together to make a king bed. Nothing like sleeping in the crack! It was also room 201. The room farthest from the beach with a wonderful view of the parking lot. I asked to move. When they actually did move us it was only to the room immediately next door and that room had two double beds still hard as rocks. We couldn't both sleep comfortably in the same bed and woke up every morning stiff with sore hips. The doors to the rooms would not seal and we could hear every noise outside. There were no nonsmoking rooms and EVERYONE was smoking. So, it was pretty much like someone was smoking in the room all the time. Made it miserable to be in the room and almost impossible to sleep. Thank God for earplugs. I slept with them in my ears every night. There were only about 50 rooms but the resort put us on the end by the parking lot and we could here the disco every night. I tried my best on several days to get them to put us down closer to the beach. I thought it would cover up the noise and maybe would we get a room that did not adjoin another room to fix the smoking issue. I even offered to pay more to upgrade rooms but they would not move us or help with the cigarette or noise issue. As so many people were smoking we almost could never get away from it...at the pool...at dinner...at the theater. It was really bad.

The food was good and bad. It certainly was not worth the all inclusive price. One night they served us cheese cubes and soggy potato chips for appetizers while we waited over an hour to be served dinner. One day we waited over an hour and a half to be served lunch at the restaurant that was only available to the Cayenne Beach resort. It was supposed to be exclusive and part of the reason for the high dollar all inclusive fee. We finally left without eating and went to the buffet that served the rest of the resort just to get some food. The buffet was usually very good. The service was alright but often we had to get up and get our own coffee or go after a waiter for drinks. The alcohol was incredibly watered down and anything that was considered American alcohol was not included and you had to pay extra for it.

You would think that the hotel would want to help or accommodate someone when they hurt themselves. After riding back on a 2 hour bus ride with my injured knee from an excursion we went on my knee bent in the same position, I was in a LOT of pain and certainly could barely walk. It was pushing 8pm when we got back and we had limited time to get back to the room and get some dinner. I got off the bus limping and in tears and asked a bell boy for a wheel chair or some help to my room. He told me I would have to go to Medical. He could not give me a wheel chair or get one of the golf carts to take me back to my room literally a couple blocks away. SERIOUSLY! I limped back to my room in an enormous amount of pain.

All in all I would not go back to that resort. The last day we were there, some official looking guy from the hotel stopped us to talk about coming back and booking directly through the hotel instead of coming by timeshare. He said if you book directly, you can pick your room at an inexpensive rate and the all inclusive part is only $38 per person per day. Really! We had paid over twice that for each day for pretty crappy food, watered down alcohol and slow to no service. He had no clue what a fire he started in my belly. I let him have it. Told him what I had been through trying to change rooms, with the lack of good service at the restaurant and no help when I hurt myself. Guess what he did...he rolled his eyes at me and sat down at a near by table and let one of the other staff members continue to listen to me. At least the other staff member offered condolensces. Makes me angry again just thinking about it. I swore to myself that when I got back I would write them a bad review on Trip Advisor. And that is what I am doing. I have never written a bad review of a trip and usually do not complain unless things are really bad.

I had been to Punta Cana before and stayed at the Rui Palace which was an amazing experience. So, I suppose I was expecting something similar. This was in no way similar and though it was a cheaper vacation, it was not worth the time I took off from work to be miserable all week. Next time I will spend the money for a better experience.

Room Tip: dont stay there unless it is a beach front room and you better bring something soft to help with the...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (256)
  • Polish first
Winnipeg, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

Hubby and I just returned from a wonderful week at this resort. Staff are wonderful, room was good, beach was great, food was quite good. Overall, we had a great time! I'd like to make this a really useful review like the ones that helped us when we were looking for a destination, so here are my thoughts and observations - straight up.

AIRPORT ARRIVAL
This applies no matter where you stay.This was a bit of a zoo. We had to fill in some kind of arrival document that was confusing with unclear English translation printed in very tiny font. After a long flight it was a challenge. Bring a pen and glasses if you need them in your carry-on. Also, our carrier doesn't pay the $10/person entry tax, but we knew to expect that and had the cash on hand. By the time we got that all done some timeshare sales guy had a hold of our luggage on the other side of customs, but let go immediately when challenged. Transfer to hotel was great - good driver, no goofing around with extra stops.

CHECK IN
If, like us, you're on an upgraded package, check in is at guest services. There isn't a sign to tell you that. Hilda was great, answered all our questions, offered any ongoing assistance we might need.

THE TRAINS
Little tram trucks ferry guests between the lobby / theatre and the rest of the resort. Handy - if you have to be at the lobby for a particular time mid-afternoon or early evening, go for the train early. It runs less frequently, takes a route past the spa and another resort, so takes longer.

LANGUAGE
Spanish is the primary, French the secondary, English third, Russian and German round things out, and several staff also speak Italian. I think that is spectacular! I speak English only, and had no problem at all. I loved learning a smattering of Spanish (thanks to the wonderful patient lessons with animation team member "Mini-Me". I also exercised some Franglais with other friendly tourists from France and Quebec! Hubby speaks some french, so that helped. It was a hoot! Put it all together and we were speaking Franglishanola.

ENTERTAINMENT
Lots to do at the pool all day, good shows at the theatre in the evening. Costumes are beautiful, dancers are quite good, lots of variety in the themes.

ROOM
We stayed in Royal Suite 2340. It was kept clean, cleaning staff were very nice. Fridge stocked with pop, beer and water. Coffee maker with fabulous Dominican coffee. More fresh fruit than we could eat every day. Arrival gifts of a bottle of Brugal, bubbly wine and some cigars. Drapes and decor are a bit tired but who cares. It does smell quite musty. Big tub is a waste since the water pressure is not good and the hot water is not abundant. Again this did not affect our enjoyment of our stay, but might be important to others. Air conditioning on the second floor of the suite was not keeping up, and it got hot up there...but...we simply opened the windows and doors and let the ocean breeze come in at night and with the big fan over the bed slept fine. Abundant drinks from the bars may have helped with that as well. We did try to get issues addressed and where they could they did respond quickly. Example, the roof leaked in a huge rainstorm one night, and it was fixed right away.

BARS AND FOOD
We got great service everywhere we went. Special kudos to Omar and Anthony at the late-night snack bar, which is what El Pescador, the specialty restaurant on the beach turns into after hours. Buffet was fine - pasta bar is the best element. Note they are VERY prompt at clearing away breakfast at 10:30 - dilly dally and you miss it. Beef is not so great by Western Canada standards. La Cava's lobster appie and shrimp & lobster appie were amongst the best thingsI've ever eaten in my life, and HUGE! Menus have some entertaining oops is translations, El Pescador was delicious. Didn't go to the Chinese or Mexican - but heard from other guests the Mexican was excellent. Le Creperie was delicious - chicken and cheese yummy! Mamma Mia was good, El Pilon was terrific, Rodizzio was quite tasty - but go for exactly the time they tell you or a few minutes early. We went too early, were told to come back, came back at the exact time and didn't have the best table or best access to the appie bar, but the staff more than made up for it with attentive service. Bars were all great, especially the lobby bar. NOTE to the resort: you should have menus for these places in the rooms.

TIPPING
We tipped a buck per service, and it was both inexpensive and well worth it. Exceptional service earned extra, and there was no shortage of terrific service. The ladies were great and even hugged and kissed us goodbye! I'm kicking myself for not writing down their names because they work hard for their money and really do deserve recognition. We rarely saw others tipping, and they still got good service, but it is what I would do at home and we got exceptional service, so I think it was a bargain.

MINI MARKET
It's worth the effort to haggle at the cigar shop. Got some good deals. Cigarettes are cheap by Canadian standards, but they don't have our brands. Buy duty free. Everything else is priced crazy high. Bring your own sunscreen, Qtips, band aids, disposable razors and such.

TIMESHARE & BEACH VENDORS
It's a bit tiresome running their gauntlet into the buffet in the evenings. They are nice enough, though, and do take no for an answer. Just don't make the mistake of thinking they are maitre d' as I did. We were polite but firm since I really am not interested. They change up their uniforms every few days. Didn't buy anything from the beach vendors, but again they were polite and not pushy.

EXCURSIONS
We went parasailing, which was fun and worth it. $35 for the photo CD, also worth it from my point of view, though extra. Went on the Punta Cana Boogie dune buggy tour and enjoyed it. Shout out to Juan, a rep from one of the tour companies who was't even our rep, but who went the extra mile for us when they forgot to pick us up. That man knows customer service! Be prepared on the boogie tour for a few stops designed to get you to buy stuff - very good deals on cigars, latimar, and artwork if you are interested. Got a very nice hematite bracelet for $4.

SPA
We did take them up on one of the massages that were included in our package, and it was nice. The spa seemed very nice, but the prices were as high as at home or higher, so I didn't bother going for it.

DISCO
We went on the last night and had an absolute blast. I wish we'd gone more often.

CASINO
It's small but professional. The payouts on the slots makes them not worth the investment, but the card tables, especially the poker are pretty good. Little trams run up there frequently.

AIRPORT UPON LEAVING
This will apply no matter where you stay. It's a gong show nightmare. Lines are long and all over the freaking place, and smoosh together into a confusing mess. If you are from a cold climate DO NOT wear your pants or jackets as you will die. Here as best as I can devine it is the order: one giant long line for the $20 exit fee; next, a giant long line for the airlines to get the boarding pass; finally, one giant long line for security that they then split as they go and wasn't too bad; line for immigration exit that is fine. Strategically, what I would do if I do this again is tag team it and pay the extra for the elite check in. I'd go stand in the security line while hubby goes to pay the exit and get the elite boarding pass, and he could join me. NOTE there is good, but expensive food after security - Wendy's, Nathan's, Sbarro, Baskin and Robbins, etc. the airport is not air conditioned, so jeans and sweaters are not recommended.

Cambridge, Ontario, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

We stayed at the Royal Suite room 1302. The room was very spacious, clean, even had an lcd tv in the bedroom . The resort grounds are beautifully kept and I found the food to be pretty good at the buffet. We didn't go to the restaurants because it was more convenient to just go to the buffet with a 2 year old. Jose, one of the waiters in the buffet, is great. He always brought ice cream and a balloon for our daughter.

The royal suite package included the safe, 24h room service, bathrobes and a giant jacuzzi on the second floor. That being said, having the jacuzzi was pretty pointless because the hot water pressure was almost non existent. It took us anywhere from 1 to 2.5 hours to fill the tub half way with hot water (just enough to cover the jets). We complained about it 4 times but I guess there's nothing they can do to fix the pressure. I did speak to other guests on the ground floor and they did not experience this problem. We also figured out that the pressure was the lowest right before dinner (I guess that's when most people take a shower).. and it was best ( by best i mean it still took close to an hour to fill it halfway) after 8pm. The nights were pretty noisy in this room, the doors and windows do not provide any soundproofing so it was like sleeping outside. There were people yelling outside at 3:30am and 5am (I assume these were guests coming back from the disco) and since this room was right above the main entrance to the building it was pretty impossible to sleep through it. The bed was ok, a little too firm but there were no bed bugs or any bugs.. not even mosquitoes. Sheets were clean and the maids cleaned the room daily. We also got a plate full of fresh fruits delivered to our room daily.

The beach was very windy and the waves were rather big so I would not call this a toddler friendly beach but it was still beautiful and clean. There are 3 pools, one with a swim-up bar. The mangroves around the resort do have an odour but I only noticed it while walking to the reception. One of the most annoying things were all the peddlers trying to sucker us into buying overpriced things. The royal holiday people are equally annoying trying to bamboozle you into some timeshare thing.. so stay away from them.

Overall it was a decent vacation, we had some good times and beautiful weather with almost no humidity.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the restaurant and not above the main entrance to the building. Maybe even...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

I was just there last week and I have never in my years of travel been to a site that is so dirty,filthy rooms,horrible food,and should never be classed as a four star anything ...it was the worst place I have ever been to ..same on Sunwing for even allowing it on their site

Room Tip: Please do not book this place...you would be better off staying home...
Calgary Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

My wife and I just spent 2 weeks at this hotel January 2013. Had a wonderful time. It is a good quality family resort that is well managaed with knowledgeable, experienced and very friendly staff. Particularly Esther Hernandez, Olga Paez and Nelson all in the dining room Ony criticism is difficulty finding sensibly priced internet use.

contrecoeur
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

this year it was the 7 time we go at this hotel, after 7 year we realize they don't care with the fidelity costumer, that was the wrost time ever, th cava restaurant was close january 1 that was the biggest time the hotel was full, we expect received a better service but after a wile we realize they don't realy care

Room Tip: even if you ask for a room they don't give you
North Bay, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

We travelled to Caribe Club Princess from Dec 29-Jan 5... 2 couples. We upgraded to the VIP which I believe was worth it... it gave us access to the premium alcohol (Budweiser, JD, Smirnoff, etc..), gave us 2-20 minute massages, 2-1 hour internet cards, bath robe, slippers, cigars, upgraded room, and a free dinner at the 1 of the 2 à-la cartes that you usually have to pay for (La Cava steakhouse & Seafood). We all had a great time - rooms were always well cleaned, sometimes twice a day. The food was amazing!! Buffet was always slightly different, always good - you can always find something to eat! Drinks were delicious! Julio in the swim up bar was SO much fun!! We had a blast with him, such a nice guy! The games were fun, in the pool & by the beach. The only disappointing part that I can think of was the lack of hot water for showering, but other than that no complaints whatsoever!

Room Tip: Upgrade to VIP
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Caribe Club Princess Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!