“Great Time!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Palladium Palace Resort, Spa & Casino

You added Grand Palladium Palace Resort, Spa & Casino to your Saves list
Grand Palladium Palace Resort, Spa & Casino
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   C/ El Cortecito | Playa Bavaro, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #30 of 101 Hotels in Punta Cana
Old Bridge, NJ
“Great Time!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

Family of 8 travelled from July 3-12. We all had a great time.
We were in buildings 82 and 91. 2 rooms were oceanfront and 2 were oceanview. The view of ocean was spectacular. We all had loft suites. The rooms were good but the stairs were difficult especially after a night of partying. I used the in room jacuzzi every night before dinner. The room was basic, nothing fancy. Standard mini bar filled everyday. There were menus in room for aromatherapy and upgraded pillows. We never ordered, felt it was overpriced. The maid left towel art everyday. Never a problem with fresh towels or hot water. Turn down service every night.
We mainly stayed at the Palace pool. Enjoyed the swim up bar. Bartender at the upper swim up bar was great. Look for William, he always made sure we were taken care of. No smoking in the pool at swim up bar, had to go to side or upstairs. The kids tried all pools at the resort and said they were all basically the same. The pools needed some tile repair but don't know how that would be done unless they closed the pool down. Saw man scrubbing pool every morning.
We spent majority of day at the beach and after lunch would go to the pool. No big deal finding available chairs. Towel game is in full force. We would just grab empty chairs and drag them together.
During the weekend there was a flood of Dominican families. Pool was so crowded with kids and not much supervision. Kind of felt like kindergarten recess. On Sunday all was back to normal. Nice to see people enjoying themselves and this is a family resort, so I can't really compalin. Just seemed soo overcrowded at the pool for those few days.
Dinners were good. We tried almost all a la cartes. If wait was too long we would try a different restaurant or head to buffet. The steak house and japanese were definitely the longest waiting time.
After dinner we would head over to the lobby bar for cocktails. Look for Milady, she will definitely make sure your drink is never empty. The staff at the bar were a lot of fun. We would sit at the bar and do rounds of shots.
After getting tipsy at the bar we all would head over to the casino. Nice place to spend the night. The guys all enjoyed the $5 blackjack and roulette. About 50 slot machines. No one came home big winners but we all had a good time. Some managed to come home with the same amount of money they left with. They had slot, blackjack, and poker tournaments. They were fun. I won $100 casino credit. They also had some kind of lottery and my sister won $100 cash. We were usually the last ones in there.
After casino, back to lobby bar for a few more drinks or shots and free wi fi. The kids would go to the disco and sports bar. They said it was average. They would stumble in around 4am.
We went to Hemmingway's piano bar one night. It seved top shelf liquor, specialty coffee, fresh fruit smoothies, and dessert. Nice and air conditioned. Kind of quiet in there but a nice spot to wind down.
They do monitor the underage bracelets but found if the older kids tipped they would get served by the male bartenders. Not too much by the women. The bracelets were all different colors. I couldn't seem to figure out the system. The kids were green, we had yellow- I think that was for Apple, and the rest of Palace had purple. I saw gold for Royal Suites and silver-I think for timeshare guests.
We enjoyed the spa. The prices were average, similar to prices in the USA. You could use the facilities for free. The circuit pool was nice. The gym was basic. Again a nice place to wind down and sober up a bit.
Our schedule for 10 days was breakfast, beach, lunch, pool, jacuzzi in room, dinner, lobby, casino, lobby and back to room and repeat x 10. Biggest decision was where to eat dinner.
We didn't try any of the shows. The shows usually remind me of a high school production and are not air conditioned. Maybe if I had small kids I would go but I tend to find them boring. Not the kids but the shows.
This is about my 8th time to the DR. Not my favorite resort but pretty good. The beach is breathtaking. At this resort you choose how active you want to be. Always someone trying to get you involved in an activity. There is always something going on. The resort is huge, 10 days is not enough to explore this property.
Never had a problem with the language barrier. The staff at the resort were great. No problems. You run across some that appear to hate their jobs and have an attitude but you will find that anywhere.
No one had any intestinal issues. All restaurants have someone standing at door dispensing hand sanitizer.
My sister had problems with constipation. She visited doctor on staff and received free medical advice. My brother in law appeared to have broken his toe but would have been $200 to have him treated. He just taped his two toes together and sucked it up. I'm sure all the alcohol helped too.
We met people from all over the world. Fell in love with Canadian trio of women. They were teachers on holiday and they definitely knew how to unwind and have a good time. Just wanted to give a shout to "Chi Chi" and her crew. Met a few from Texas and Ohio. My nephew seemed to latch on to them- sorry.
Our flight home was delayed 6 hours. We stayed at resort for as long as we could to avoid sitting in airport. Still sat in airport for about 4 hours. United offered food vouchers and free water. Duty free shopping was average. You have to know your prices. Coffee and vanilla were cheaper at resort. Some of the liquor was a good deal and you can't go wrong with cigarettes. We managed to come with max allowed for alcohol and cigarettes.
We all had a great time. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this resort. We met may people who have visited this resort 10+ times. That has to say something. If you are picky or don't like kids upgrade to the Royal Suites. If we didn't bring ours I would have upgraded but I guess it's nice that they still like to travel with us. They are all in college or off to college.
Any how, go and enjoy. I think the people that have had a miserable time here didn't do their research and their expectations were too high. The rating system for the hotels in the DR are not the same for ones in the USA. It like comparing apples to oranges.

Room Tip: buildings 82 and 91 were guaranteed at least oceanview. 8216 and 9114 were oceanfront.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (195)
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Wroclaw
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

We have spent 2 weeks at GP Palace. It was our first trip to DR.
Hotel was really nice. Beach was excellent with a lot of space and beautiful palm trees.
The food was very good and selection at buffet was good (breakfast & dinner). There was different theme-dinner each day. We didn't try theme restaurants. Durring lunch we ate at open air retaurant - close to the beach and it was nice.
Service was also very good, bartenders, waiter were very attended. Night entertaiments were interesting and professional.
The Palace section was more quiet then others what we preferred, because we don't like crowd.
We didn't try the pools because we are 'beach' people.
The only negative was the room. The was musty smell in the room, maybe because we have the gronud floor. But when you turn the air condition on it's ok.
Few times in the afternoon the was lack of hot water.
But generally I would recommend going there.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Woodbine, Maryland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

This hotel could provide an amazing experience. It has a wonderful mix of facilities in very good condition. The beach is beautiful and there is a wide range of activities available.

The problems are all management related and provide for a very poor experience.

By doing just five things, this resort would make the grade.

1. Train the staff to be customer friendly. While some were very nice and helpful, some were just plain condescending and rude. The yard workers and women at the restaurant desks taking "reservations" were especially rude.
2. There were buffets available at all meals. There were also specialty restaurants. The only way to eat these restaurants is to dress for dinner, walk to the restaurant, put your name on a list, and MAYBE get seated. We waited two and a half hours for a seat at the Steak House and NEVER got seated. It was like this every night we tried to eat at a specialty restaurant. When speaking to a manager he justified it over and over saying that he was giving us an opportunity to go to all of the restaurants instead of just a few at a set time like on a cruise ship.....Well, in sweltering heat in the tropics, I'd rather be able to plan for a set time and walkin at that time than wait in line to perhaps get served. We got in line for the Japanese restaurant over an hour before opening to get an hibachi table. There were only a few people in front of us. Evidently, people behind us had gotten papers giving them a reserved table because they had complained about the service the night before and we got a table in the back that was in a closed off area that was hotter than outside. The quality of the food was poor at best.
3. The resort is so spread out that a tram is necessary. Unfortunately, there is only one and it runs a 20 minute loop and leaves people standing.....even at midnight at the casino and after the shows. It's a joke.
4. Train the cleaning crews to be polite. Delivering towels at 10PM is not acceptable. Having an entire crew assigned to a building is ridiculous. They talk loudly at 7:00 in the morning, hang out all day, and take turns doing various tasks. This means that several people are in and out of the room all day. At another Punta Cana resort where I stayed, I had one woman in and out of the room and I got to know her. She asked what times would be convenient and we got on a schedule of sorts. It was great and she got a big tip which is not necessary in all-inclusives.

5. It's time to replace the mattresses and pillows in Building 83. My group had three rooms and all of the beds were soft and lumpy and the pillows hard and uncomfortable.

Until these issues are cleared up, I would not recommend this resort to anyone.

Room Tip: Check out the pictures of the various Palladium hotels. The Palace has rooms with jacuzzi tubs in th...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Portland, Oregon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

After a year of serious hard work as a teacher, as a graduate student ,and a new mom, I was ready to escape to a place where I would be pampered and released of all worry. The palladium palace resort really did live up to my expectations with the exception of the interactions I had with some of the staff, namely the male staff at the front desk.

First, we booked a loft suite and although some reviews stated the rooms were renovated, ours was not. We arrived at 2:30 pm and when we went to the front desk to check in, we were greeted by a younger man who clearly did not care whether we were there or not. We expected welcome drinks or at least a welcome at this all inclusive, but instead Eduardo at the front desk said that there was no water available when I asked for it. We had been in transit for almost a full day and by the time we arrived at the resort, it was 25 degrees hotter than where we came from and I thought I was going to faint. I didn't know if it was a joke or what, but it turns out that the lobby not only has a bar full of water but there was also a water dispenser within feet of the front desk that Eduardo could have directed me to. Instead he told me that there was no water available.

We booked our stay through all inclusiveoutlet.com and they told us to put in all of our requests through email before arriving and we did. All we asked for was a king bed and certain buildings to be placed in. We got neither and when I spoke to Fernando at the front desk about the fact that our room had two double beds instead of a king, he id to call in the morning to see if he had an availability. This was a but ridiculous since we booked over a month in advance and the resort was not busy at all. I asked the bell boy the name of the manager of the front desk and he said it was Julian Fernandez and when I spoke to him about the rudeness of Eduardo and our requests, he was a little nicer but rather patronizing as opposed to showing actual caring about the level of service. We had a few other interactions like this in the lobby but they were all with males and I guess I we just chalked it up to the cultural machismo. We are a same sex couple travelling with our infant and I think the lack of a man in our party definitely affected the level of service we received from the front desk to the drinks that were brought to our tables at the buffets. The women servers were super nice and we had zero problems with them for some reason.

With all of that aside, our experience at the resort was really great. We ate at the buffets for breakfast and lunch and ate at the a la cartes for dinner. The front desk failed to give us a schedule of open and closed restaurants for each night but we have travelled a lot and really just orientated ourselves fairly quickly. The food overall was good and there was a great and fresh selection of everything for everyone. We are seafood eating vegetarians and we had no issues finding enough food to eat. There is also no need to reserve at the a la carts and you don't have a limit of how many you an at at. There is a Japanese teppanyaki, Greek/mediterranean,Brazilian, Italian, Spanish,Steakhouse, and a couple others to chose from. The great thing is that the palladium is a huge complex of resorts and you can access all of the resorts with the exception of the Grand Turquesa which is an adults only resort.

There are a bunch of pools as well and the one at the palace and the one at the punta Cana palladium is where we spent most of our time. They all have swim up bars, the drinks are served quickly, and the palapas were pretty easy to get. We did get up early to get our palapas on the beach and by just setting a pool towel on a sun chair, it was honored as reserved.

We didn't do much at night since we had a baby and spent evenings watching people walk by our balcony, but we had a great time in the lobbies drinking espressos and cappuccinos. There is live music every night and the original Bavarro part of the resort has a night club and shows.

One last thing to note is that I speak Spanish that I learned in college and it really helped. This place caters to Spanish speakers but if you speak English that is okay too, you will just stick out like a sore thumb. We also left a $2 tip per day for our maid and the same for our mini bar guy and it paid off. Our mini bar was stocked well and rooms cleaned daily.

We left very happy with our stay feeling that we definitely got our money's worth but as we were leaving, I went to the kiosk across from the front desk to do my exit survey and as I began, the kiosk oddly shut down just as I watched Eduardo from the front desk go to the back and come back out. Hmmm....

If you are adventurous and can get over it fairly easily, I would recommend this place. The setting, pools, and beach are awesome. The people need a little work as they are slow to serve you but that was just what I saw as those with men at their tables had quick service and those without we're left waiting. The front desk is definitely rude and each guest does seem to have a different level of service, but it was relaxing and it was easy to access food and drinks. I feel relaxed but not going to become a Palladium Addict. (yes there is such a thing, google it!)

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Dayton, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

We stayed June 17-24. This was my first to trip to Punta Cana. Let me just say it was "Paradise". Before I left I read all of the reviews about this resort, most of them were negative, so I was very nervous about going to this resort, in fact I was very depressed about even going on the trip. I always read trip advisor for all of my trips, but I will be honest, I really don't understand why everyone was so negative about this resort. First of all the beach and grounds were awesome and very clean. We stayed Bldg 94 on the first floor. Yes this is a huge resort, but that gives you more options for dinner and things to do.. The food was fine, but that is what you get with buffet food. We ate at the Brazilian, Japanese, Mexican, Italian and the Steakhouse. They were all good and my favorite was the Mexican. It was the best meal I had all week. We never had any issues with the staff; always very friendly and helpful. The pool bars were awesome. We had the best bartender ever.. his name was William. He was awesome. We visited most of the pools and they were great and they all had something different to offer. The rooms were clean, NO BUGS. The beds and pillows were hard, that would be the only complaint I would have about the room. Yes the TV was old, but who really cares about watching TV when you are staying at a beautiful place. Our vacation was wonderful and I would definitely go back. I have no idea why I was ever depressed before I left. I understand everyone has different tastes and likes, but this place very nice and I just don't understand why it receives the negative reviews.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Kuttawa, Kentucky
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2012

The beach is beautiful and the room is extremely clean. The food is okay, and I really enjoyed the Japanese restaurant. The customer service is inconsistent. For example, I was dropped off at the front gate, security didn't want to let me enter because my name wasn't correctly spelled on the reservation,a nd then I had to walk in from the front gate. Five carts passed me by before one finally stopped, and I was already at the hotel by then. Some of the folks at the front desk don't quite understand the concept of customer service and would be better off working in security. I had to ask for an extra beach towel card because mine was lost in the room (the maid may have thrown it away), but I had to finally get a manager to help. The drinks were good, and since there was a bar in the lobby, it was nice to get a drink after dealing with the front desk.

Room Tip: Study ahead and decide what you want: beachfront, poolside, restaurant close by.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012

Just returned from the GPP and have to say I was extremely disappointed. Yes, the resort is large - spread out over 3 resorts/areas/sections. Yes, to get to other sections like Bavaro where the Disco, SportsBar, Hemingways, Mexican (and others) Restaurant and the Shows are you do need to take the train or........(didn't know this till day 4) find a golf cart and have the driver take you! Beds and pillows - like sleeping on a rock. Rooms were clean and adequate. Didn't really see much of the towel game being played - we never had a problem finding chairs and a papala on the beach each morning. Property was clean. Beach buffet was not appealing. Food dried out and chafing dishes were all broken - half couldn't even open!

We ate at the Brazilian, Mediteranean, Japanese, Italian, Steakhouse and Mexican Restaurants. All were very good with the exception of the Mexican (consider Taco Bell?) and the Italian (orders were wrong, late and even forgotten). The buffet up by the lobby was closed the first couple of days for renovations but reopened and was great for breakfast. The buffet over in the Punta Cana section near the pool was very good and that pool was very nice. Biggest complaint on the buffets - when they are done serving breakfast they close completely. Other resorts I have stayed at in PC don't completely close between meals - you can usually go in and get some fruit, yogurt or breads. Not here so if you missed breakfast you had to wait till 12:30 for lunch.

Okay now for the gripes. Front desk staff - VERY RUDE!!! We had 10 rooms, types (ie...king or 2 queens) was clearly stated and requested before hand. When we got our rooms we ended up with 2, 20yr old men put into a 1-king bed room, 3, 20yr old ladies put into a 1-king bed room, and a dad and his 15yr old daughter in a 1-king bed room!!! REALLY!!! The boys we got changed to another bldg on the other side of the pool - away from the group. The girls, got an additional room for nights 2 & 3 (the a/c in the second room was broken), finally on the 4th night a cot was brought to their room. The father and daughter stayed with what they had after seeing all the trouble trying to get the other rooms right. The Apple Rep was just as rude as when the room problems were mentioned to him his response was "we don't guarantee rooms". Hmmmmmm.

One parent had an issue one evening with a light burning out making noises and smelt of burning - after calling the front desk twice to have someone come look at it, the 3rd time the desk person hung up on her because he didn't understand her!

Language barrier is a huge problem here!!! Do I expect them to speak fluent english? No, but front desk workers should understand something and not hangup on your guest. The front desk is the resorts first chance to impress the guests and with non-smiling workers that's not a good thing.

If would have been nice if everyday there was a schedule of events either posted in your building, the lobby or slid under your door to know what was going on. We all did do some excursions - fishing, zip line, swimming with the dolphins, and catamaran.

With all the issues we did have an enjoyable time but I will not be coming back here.

Room Tip: Bldg 91 is close to beach and pool - but further from lobby. We had rooms in bldgs 91, 93, 95, 97 a...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Grand Palladium Palace Resort, Spa & Casino? Share your experiences!