“Can't wait to go "HOME" again!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Palladium Palace Resort, Spa & Casino

You added Grand Palladium Palace Resort, Spa & Casino to your Saves list
Grand Palladium Palace Resort, Spa & Casino
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   C/ El Cortecito | Playa Bavaro, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #22 of 99 Hotels in Punta Cana
Elkford, Canada
“Can't wait to go "HOME" again!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2011

I cannot believe all the complaints about his GREAT resort. The staff are amazing. They treat us like family and are always happy to see us each time that we arrive and are sad when we leave. We refer to them as our children and can't wait to see them all again. We are planning our 9th and 10th trips in October and December. Remember that this is a third world country and they are not there to wait on you hand and foot. Relax, take life easy and get on "Dominican" time. Take a walk along the beach, go to the school and drop of some much needed and greatly appreciated school supplies or hang out by the pool and let William entertain you. You will be amazed what a smile and a friendly "hola"can do for you. Be friendly and remember this is their country. Their native language is Spanish and most can speak decent English. Learn the basic Spanish words like please, thank you, hello etc. If you are looking for a 4 or 5 star Canadian hotel then stay in Canada. Learn the staff's names and get to know them. Treat them like you want to be treated. The service is good, the food is plentiful and the booze flows freely. When you are there ask them if they know Senor Cuba Libre and say "HOLA" from me.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
Rsegarra, General Manager at Grand Palladium Palace Resort, Spa & Casino, responded to this review, August 2, 2011
Thanks for this review, I think that is important to travel with this recomendations in your pockets...

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (235)
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Cleveland, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2011

The pool was small, we were very surprised by this. We went in the down season, can't imagine trying to fit any more people around/in the pool during the busy spring break season.

The food (buffet breakfast and lunch) was eh- nothing special. A la carte restaurants were okay, there were only two of us so we never had to wait very long. The service
was very poor in the restaurants- you really had to flag someone down if you needed anything (water refill, another utensil, etc). At the Mexican restaurant I ordered a veggie fajita as my appetizer and it never came out.
The servers sometimes would see you looking for someone to help, and just keep on going about their tasks, maybe assisting you once whatever they were doing was completed. That got a little bit
aggravating.

Our room was decent; one time our maid forgot to leave us new washcloths so we called the front desk and they told us someone would be there ASAP. No washcloths ever came. Be careful, the beds and pillows are pretty firm, but there is an option to upgrade your pillows for $3 USD per pillow per night (they have a menu of 4 or 5 different pillow choices).

We didn't hate the resort by any means, but there were definite flaws. I consider myself to be somewhat "well-traveled" with the Caribbean (Mexico many times, Jamaica) and there were aspects of this resort that just didn't compare to others I've stayed at.

People selling day trips/excursions at the pool (3rd party vendors unaffiliated with Grand Palladium) got very annoying very quickly. I'm not crazy about the fact that Grand Palladium allows these people to come in and bombard their paying guests who are trying to relax.

The resort was beautiful, it just needed some updating. You could tell it was a little bit older (cracks in the paths, chipping paint, overall "used" feeling) but to a novice traveler it might be very luxurious.

I don't know if I would recommend this hotel to a friend, but for booking it just shy of a month in advance and for the price we paid, it was perfectly fine. We still enjoyed it, it's not like we couldn't wait to leave- a beach vacation is always a great time. I would just say to really look around for other places; Barcelo Palace Deluxe looked very nice, as did the
Iberostar resorts.

Also, keep in mind in this review I've been very nit-picky. For what it was (a semi-last minute beach vacation), we enjoyed our stay at Grand Palladium.

• Stayed July 2011
Daphne K, Manager at Grand Palladium Palace Resort, Spa & Casino, responded to this review, August 16, 2011
Dear Sirs,

thank you very much for your comments here in Tripadvisor.

We would like to apologize that you did not enjoy your holiday as expected and would like to asure you that your suggestions are forwarded already to the corresponding departement to be able to improve our services constantly.

Hoping to be able to welcome you again we would like to suggest to try our adults only product, The Royal Suites Turquesa.

With best regards
The Management
warm river
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2011

My fiance took me here for our 5th anniversary of being together and were expecting something wonderful due to the resorts 5 star rating and the price we had to pay.

Whilst the resort is nice, the beach and the pool areas etc, there are many things wrong with this place.

We were located next to a building site which where they would start work at sunrise therefor we would get rudely awoken on our vacation.Apparently they are building a kids club, you would expect them to start work at a decent hour or not place guests nearby.

The food is terrible, but the service in the restaurants is by far even worse. The selection of drinks is limited with no names brands, just local liquor and slushy cocktails from a machine.

What is the most frustrating part is the constant selling by the resorts own staff. You get interrupted constantly and can't even relax on the beach without being harassed.

We also had to complain a few time to reception about problems so as the key to our room not working and the AC. They are very rude and not very helpful, it seems to be a chore for them, this is hardly surprising as you see the same staff at reception for days on end.

I for one will not be returning to this resort as it wasn't half as relaxing as it should of been.

Dear Sirs,

thank you very much for your review in Tripadvisor.

We would like to apoligize learning that you stay had no been the one you expected. Most of our guests are very happy with our services as you may read in other comments.

International brands are part of our offer in our bars. We would like to point out as well that under Dominican Law our employees are having working shifts of 8 hours.

Nevertheless we would like to welcome you soon again in our properties to give us the chance to convince you of our services.

Wtih best regards
The Management
Fanwood, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2011

This was the first vacation my fiance and I had in a long time. The resort itself is beautiful. Beautiful lobby, rooms, and pools. The staff was so hospitable, everyone from the bellman to the towel distributor. The beach was a 2 minute walk from our room, as well as the buffet and al a carte restaurants. The antique train as a form of transportation around the resor was the cutest. The Michael Jackson show was the BEST and it was great having a 24 hour sports bar to drink and snack all night (with the best pizza).

Now for my only issues: Our bathroom sink had the tiniest red insects that looked like fruit flies that I kept killing. Once I told our housekeeper, she killed them for one day...and then they came back. Very annoying and gross at the same time. When we needed towels it took almost an hour to get to us. The food at the buffet were not best, but then again we were in another country. The best restaurant was the Italian ala carte restaurant. Traveling as a couple is hard to find nightlife activities, only one nightclub may have to ask around to find off resort nightlife and travel as a group. Also, If your traveling with children beware of the topless tourist.

Would I come back to Punta Cana? Defintely! Come back Palladium? Maybe I'll try their other resorts...I have to be convinced

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Rsegarra, General Manager at Grand Palladium Palace Resort, Spa & Casino, responded to this review, July 27, 2011
Thanks for this review, and thanks to be honest.............
Unfortunately tropical areas, due the humidity, a lot of sun and vegetation are the paradise of some insects. We have an special team working a very big amount of hours triyng to minimize this, fumigating every day and following an special program.
Thanks again for this comments, we will take it very seriously in order to imporve our services.
Hamilton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2011

Our family went to Punta Cana for the 4th time the first week of July with another family. Kids consisted of teens 17 -18. Let me start by saying we have travelled to almost every Carribean island, Hawaii, some of Europe and Bavaro beach is absolutely stunning! One of the most beautiful beaches we have been on..Grounds were immaculate, as were the rooms, restaurants, lobby. Al la carte restaurants particularly Spanish, Mexican and Brazilian excellent but al la carte left something to be desired. Our main issue was with the constant soliciting of many kinds to all of us. While on the beach we were approached daily by people who worked the excursions constantly. One day we counted as much as 34 times for dune buggy excursions, snorkelling, parasailing, etc excursions. We kept politely saying no but 5 minutes later someone else would approach. These people worked for the Grand Palladium and actually had name tags on so they were not just locals. This seemed very inappropriate. One time I was actuallys sleeping under our palapa hut and I was tapped ont he shoulder by a solicitor. Next came the disco...while we were with our husbands but off to the side both husbands were approached by prostitutes. When they declined one actually groped one of the men offering sex in her room. Our teenage boys were laughing because they were approached at least 4 times on the weeks stay by hotel workers asking them if they wanted any kind of drugs they could set them up. I don't remember this happening in our previous visits. It left a bad taste in our minds and we will not be back to the DR due to the staff soliciting. Quite a shame because the facility is gorgeous and beautiful in ALMOST every way. Then again, for those who are interested in the soliciting...you may just love it.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Fairfax, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2011

The Jacuzzi in the room was not working. There was no water in the room during daytime. We were suspecting that there might be a bed bugs manifestation. We heard from another American Couple that the AC at their room was down. We stayed just one night and we had to move to the another hotel in the resort.

Sheffield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2011

My husband, son and myself have just returned from our holiday to Grand Palladium Palace Punta Cana. We went with My sister and her family and my dad. My Sister and her husband took their 2 children to this hotel 2 years ago and had a great time. Because they enjoyed it so much we decided that we would all return as a family. My sister emailed the hotel prior to us arriving mentioning that this was a special holiday as our mum passed away with cancer last April. It would be the first holiday without our mum. My dad had chosen an upgrade to a loft suite and my sister and i had chosen a standard room. When my sister went the previous year she noticed that a lot of people were getting free upgrades to the loft suites. So when we arrived we were shown to standard rooms in a block that was too far away from the beach. We had already requested by email that we needed rooms close to the beach due to 2 in the party with medical problems and had trouble walking. We went back to reception only to be told they had no rooms available and we should return the next morning to see if they had anything else. My dad asked if we could be upgraded seen as we had just spent £9150 with this hotel. They said yes but it would be another £250. My dad paid this but we were absolutely disgusted that we should have to pay more money out after paying so much in the first place. My sister spent £4500 with this hotel 2 years ago also. Why do others get upgraded for free and we didn't.

When we finally got to our rooms we were pleasantly surprised. They were large, comfortable and had a beach front location. Our minibar was re-stocked on a daily basis with water, beer, coca-cola and fanta. Our room was clean and the maid was fantastic. Her name was Caselda and would do her best to help you with anything you need. Our son was very ill with vomiting and diarrhoea and had been sick so many times that we needed spare sheets. She was more than happy to help out. We did have a few ants on the balcony and just a couple in the bedroom but nothing that would make me move rooms. We had a problem with the air conditioning unit leaking water one day but it was sorted out within a few hours. Unfortunately my sister's room also had the same problem but much worse than ours. It leaked so much that the room was flooded in water when she returned from the pool one day. It was very dangerous as they could have slipped and hurt themselves very badly. It still wasn't fixed properly until up to 2 days later. My sister was very angry as you can imagine, she had made so many complaints to reception but still hadn't done anything about it. She had also tried to get reception to deliver some towels to the room as none had been left by her maid and she wanted to get showered. Reception put the phone down on her. How rude!

The choice of restaurants to eat at were excellent. Unfortunately the buffet restaurants were understaffed meaning that tables weren't set quick enough for the next guests. This meant having to go and find clean cutlery yourself. When ordering drinks with your meal please be aware that you will most probably get this when you have finished your meal. This was very annoying as i like to have a drink with my meal. The staff though are extremely friendly and accommodating. They work very hard but don't seem to have enough to keep the restaurant running smoothly. The A La Carte restaurants were a joke. You could never get in unless you queued from 6.30pm. I personally don't like to have my meal until around 7.30pm-8.00pm. We asked if we could call at 6.30pm and get a bleeper to let you know that a table is available. The hostess replied that they do not give bleepers out. Now i know that this is a lie because my sister had been before and this is what they did 2 years ago. We also saw people hand in bleepers so why were we lied to. Also the dress code for these restaurants were inconsistent. Men were told to wear long trousers and yet men were let in when wearing shorts. You weren't allowed in if you wore shorts yet football shirts were acceptable! What a joke! We managed to get in to the Italian A La Carte one evening having to go at 6.30pm which is way too early. The food was lovely but a couple of us did have diarrhea the next morning.

There is also a train that takes you around the resort. This is needed as it is such a large resort. It is lovely to take in the lovely views whilst having a pleasant ride. They come around every 15-20 mins and there are several stops that you can wait at. A very valuable free service.

The sports bar was open 24 hours a day and they served a lot of american style food. Hamburgers, hot dogs, chicken nuggets, chips, pizza, onion rings, ice cream, soft drinks and alcohol. There is a pool table and table football plus 4 televisions. Nice to call in when you are feeling peckish.

The gardens were kept so well due to the hard working gardeners. It was a lovely hotel but we were disappointed that the hotel did not acknowledge the fact that we had spent so much money with them, and that my sister and her family had brought more people with her, and still didn't give us an upgrade. This is not good for regularly returning customers. This has put myself and my family off returning in future.

Room Tip: From our experience you only get the best room if you pay extra!