“Second time here and it never gets old.... Excellent Vacation” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Palladium Palace Resort, Spa & Casino

You added Grand Palladium Palace Resort, Spa & Casino to your Saves list
Grand Palladium Palace Resort, Spa & Casino
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   C/ El Cortecito | Playa Bavaro, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #31 of 102 Hotels in Punta Cana
Toronto, Canada
“Second time here and it never gets old.... Excellent Vacation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2011

My partner and I stayed at this resort the week of June 12-19, we had the loft suite which I totally recommend... It makes it a home away from home.

I really don't understand the negative reviews about this hotel - these people must be extremely picky.

Check in
We had an early morning flight so we arrived at the resort before check in time which is 3pm. We had our swimsuits ready in our carry on so when we arrived it was straight to the beach to wait for our room to be ready... which as promised was ready before the check in time :).

Loft Suite Room
We were placed in building 85 - close to the pool and lobby and very short trip to the beach... In fact any building at this resort is close to all amenities. The room has a beautiful two man jacuzzi tub with a stand up shower, pull out sofa, and upstairs a king bed. The only complaint would be, the pillows were too hard for my personal preference.

Beach
Bavaro Beach is stunning and always impresses, I have been to the Dominican 4 times and it keeps me coming back. The beach is clean, beautiful, and breathtaking. You can easily find yourself there for 8 hours as the time flies by.

Pool
I really don't understand how people can travel south to sit by the pool, so I really didn't spend much time there. The pool is nice, the swim up bar is very busy, and there are lots of kids and families that park there for the day.
Beware - you will be harrassed by the pool by people trying to sell you excursions, shirts, braids etc. I really don't understand why the hotel takes payment from these people to sell to the tourists, it can become annoying.

The buffet has a different theme every night, and if you like Sushi you will be happy for Asian night. You will also have your choice of 7 a la carte including a wonderful Tapenyaki restaurant, highly recommend.

Nightly Entertainment
There is always live music in the lobby in the evening and the shows are quite impressive and entertaining - I recommend the Michael Jackson show lol

Excursions
I have done almost all of the excursions in the Dominican Republic but I tried a few new ones this time. I would recommend the Bavaro Runner if your looking to see the typical Dominican lifestyle which will show you coffee plantations, local schools, typical Dominican house where you will taste the best fruit you have ever had - this is really great for kids to experience.
I would also recommend the Zip line adventure for $80 US. You will have your choice to do the am or pm tour and its about 3 hours in length. If your a beginner this will be a wonderful experience, we had a blast.
I would also recommend the Tropical Storm tour for $80 US. This is a 3/4 day and is amazing from start to finish. You will board the Tropical Storm Catamaran and will be able to snorkel for 45 minutes, get close to a Ship Wreck on the coast of Bavaro and swim in the ocean where the Caribbean Sea meets the Atlantic, it is waste deep and super warm, and basically untouched by humans and no resorts in site... Oh did I mention the floating bar that will also be offered here as well...Breath taking.
DO NOT - buy excursions from vendors at the beach or at the pool, if the price is cheaper there is a reason and its most likely because they don't have insurance and you have no idea what your buying. Buy only from your tour rep where you can cancel or change with refund. I learned a huge lesson buying from vendors.... Never again.

Overall, it was an excellent vacation. There is lots for everyone at this resort, you will not be disappointed with your choice to stay here.

BTW there is free WIFI In the lobby, if you want to use the Internet there expect to pay $8 US per hour.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
ltajes, Gerente at Grand Palladium Palace Resort, Spa & Casino, responded to this review, June 22, 2011
The best satisfaction for us is to have filled our guests´ expectations.
If you would like to vacation again in Grand Palladium, please contact us at the following address acliente.palace@fiestahotelgroup.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (195)
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Richmond Hill, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2011

My wife and myself spent one week at this resort. I can only say that this resort has everything anyone can expect in a resort. Great buffets , fantastic high end ala Carte resturants . lots of entertainment . Beautiful beaches. Lovely pools . Lots of activies to please everyone. Live music in all the lobbies everynight. Thanks to the Executive Chef Francisco for the wonderfull Bacalau. . You sir and all your staff made our vacation something to remember. We are forever gratefull. Thanks to Jose in the buffet resturant who treated us like family. Thanks to Raul our favourite waiter but now also our friend. A special thank you to David in the lobby bar. You my friend are a special person. We will always remember you.. Folks if anyone is looking for a fantastic resort for a vacation this is it. There are no negatives to this resort ans we shall surely return. Thanks to all the staff.

Room Tip: Just ask. Front desk staff are very accomadating.
Howland, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2011

We had a total of 13 people travelling and staying at this resort between the dates of June 10-17th, 2011. Ages varied from 6 years old-67 years old. Overall, it was a great experience. My now husband and I selected the Palace Resort, Spa and Casino for our wedding location. I won't spend too much time discussing the actual wedding as part of my review, but if there are any brides considering this resort for their wedding, please feel free to contact me via email (polola@me.com); I would be happy to explain our experience--both good and not so good to you.

There are many complaints on this website from everything to the rooms to the restaurants, some are correct, but a bit over-aggerated.

Bring bug spray! Mosquitoes can be bad there. I will say some in our group didn't have a problem, but I did.

Restuarants: Most were really good and I have no complaints about the food.
Italian: Let's be honest, you can't get 'authentic' Italian food anywhere but in Italy. This is a Domican resort and they have their own spin on Italian. It was different, but still enjoyable.
Bamboo Restaurant/Japanese: Excellent. Great atmosphere and good food.
Hibachi: GREAT entertainment and great good; however, it was hot as heck in there! I swear the AC wasn't working at all. Add fire to the mix and we were all sweating!
Spanish Restaurant: It was good. Really it was. Cool fixtures too!
Brazilian: Good--it was no Texas De Brazil or Brazo like we have in the States, but again, it was good and the selection of food was great!
We never tried the buffet for dinner; however, others in our group liked it and some hated it.
Lunch at the pool: Great atmosphere and cool breeze. Couldn't really complain about the food. It does get repetitive, but I think that is because I didn't really venture out and try anything new!
Breakfast: Same as lunch, repetitive, but that is probably my own fault ;)

Chairs at the beach/pool are reserved EARLY! At least by 7am. After 7 am you won't find much of anything under shade. Is it annoying? Yes, but we just woke up at 6 am and took first choice of huts on the beach or the pool. FYI--The GP Punta Cana is almost all huts :)

Pools:
We only really swam at our pool. Yes, there are tiles missing. Yes, there are tiles missing from the swim-up bar. Does that affect your enjoyment?? NO, not at all. The drinks at the pool and the service at the pool was great. We truly enjoyed the pool--missing tiles and all!

Beach:
Gorgeous! Plenty of shade even if you don't get a hut.

Rooms: They are ok. Jacuzzi is nice, but became a catch all for stuff for us. Oh well. Rooms are decent. We stayed in 8112 (loft suite). It was good I guess. My only complain is the rooms didn't get cleaned until late afternoon --4:30 ish.

Reception: Checking in is a cluster. I felt like they were unorganized and there definetely is a language barrier there.

Excursions: This is what I was most disgusted with and would like to warn others of the potential problems that COULD happen to you.
My family booked the Party Boat--waterslide, sting ray swim, shark swim, snorkeling tour. They were picked up in a crappy truck that then stopped for gas and groceries--totally unprepared for a tour. The boat itself was not worth the money and our faith in these tour guides was highly questionable.
They also booked deep-sea fishing and the boat broke down 7 miles out. The driver of the boat mistakenly told the shore taxi that we were only 4 miles out, when really we were closer to 10 miles. They had no radios, only cell phones. It was a rather scary experience for our 10 year old nephew who was also on the boat.
These tours were booked through Dolin Adventures, at the pool. Though we were partially refunded for the deep sea fishing tour, I wouldn't recommend using this provider for a tour. I can't speak for other excursions. It was very disheartening.

There are people that try and sell excursions and other things day after day. They are just trying to make a living. A simple no, thank you goes along way.

POP: Peaople of Palladium. Most of these entertainment people are great. However, some don't like to hear No, that you don't want to participate. I will actually have a scar on my wrist from a lady pulling me after I said that I didn't want to participate. It was annoying.

Overall, good experience. I truly believe in reading these reviews. I take them to heart, but also know that some need to be taken with a grain of salt. Vacations are what you make of them..

Room Tip: Try and get room 8113 or 8213--best views!
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
scotland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2011

Went for two weeks at the Palace between the end of may and start of June. A lot of the reviews go over the top with their moaning about minor things.

We did not have any problems getting a sun lounger, at the beach or at the pool. always had a good selection.

FOOD- Didn’t think too much of the breakfasts but could always get something. We ate at A la carte every night. Never had a problem getting a table, only place we had to book was the Japanese. When we went to the rest of the A la carte restaurants we maybe had to wait 30 mines, but we were given a buzzer and went away and got a few drinks and the near by bar. But if you don’t want to wait we slipped the hostess $1 and we were seated in 10 minis. All the a la carte had a good selection of food, we loved them all but Mexican was our fav.

The swimming pool at the palace was a little rough round the edges. But was still fine.

The room was perfect for what we needed. Always kept very clean and had all we needed.

A little tip, even just $1 helps with everything. If you make a effort to try and learn/speak Spanish when ordering the appreciate it. They always kept drinks coming to us even without us asking for a new one.

The beach was beautiful and easy to get a sun lounger or bed.

The train was a good little trip, (good breeze).

Sports bar was good with some good food.

Hemmingway’s bar had all the top drinks, 4 different types of Absolute vodka and another 4 on top. Could get bottles of miller. etc

a couple of small bad points- Had a lot of people trying to sell us day trips. None were employed by the hotel. Became a bit annoying.

But apart from a couple minor things the holiday was amazing.

Lisbon, Portugal
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2011

We reserved 3 months earlier for Palace and when We arrived at the hotel we waited 1 hour for check-in because there was no room available for us. We paid more to be on Palace and Hotel receptionist tried to put me on Bavaro (far from swinming pool, beach and restaurants). Next day I knew by other portuguese people that hapenned the same with them.
In the room we founded hair from other people and no extra bed for my child. I asked twice for the bed and they only gave me one next day at 11pm when we were sleeping(my child had to sleep 2 nigths with us).
Next day in the moornig (at 9am) we tried to get a place to stay with shadow and they were all reserved. There are just a few seats with shadow near the swimming pool and beach and they are always reserved (against rules hotel). We saw some pillows on seats near swimming pool and when we tried to seat there, the bartender came to us and tell me that seats are reserved by him to some clients (ridiculus).
In the afternoon I wanted to take a hot bath and wasn't hot water. I called for maintenance and they told me they will fix. I waited all afternoon and no hot water.
Next day, we woke earlier to get a seat on beach and at 8am there wasn't one single seat with shadow. I went to reception and talked to manager for an explanation about that, cause there was so many seats reserved without anyone. Manager (Damaris Salcedo) told me that couldn't do nothing cause people reserve seats at 7am (even against the rules). We couldn't get any shadow to stay with my child during 2 days.
At nigth, we had dinner at Japonese and 1 hour after the waiter tell me that a have 5 minutes to finish my meal because the table is reserved for next hour.
I have been at many 5 star hotels and this is the first time happen. I didn't wanted to waste my hollidays and I decided to move to Melia Hotel. They have a real 5 star service (my 3th time at these hotel). They have managers for each area\bar\restaurant that resolve any trouble and there are plenty of shadow to stay with your family and enjoy the hollidays.

Fernando Almeida

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
ltajes, Gerente at Grand Palladium Palace Resort, Spa & Casino, responded to this review, June 24, 2011
We appreciate enormously your comments, which help us to improve our service every day. Deeply we regret that your experience at the hotel was not to your satisfaction. Please be sure that your suggestion will be taken care of.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2011

Punta Cana airport cannot cope with the amount of passengers that arrive at the same time! Hotel first impressions was good (but we was tired and wet) staff very friendly, and welcoming. If you needed assistance their English became non existent! Breakfast was good, lunch was a free for all, we tended to walk to the sports bar for lunch where your snack was cooked to order, evening meal was ok but very repetitive! Japanese al la carte show was good but felt like you was being cooked very hot no air con!! The rooms need a revamp very tired looking not five star! Beach was full of land sharks but would leave you alone if you just said no thank you!

• Stayed May 2011
ltajes, Manager at Grand Palladium Palace Resort, Spa & Casino, responded to this review, June 13, 2011
We appreciate very much your comments, deeply we regret that your experience at the hotel was not to your satisfaction.
We will take this suggestion very seriously in order to improve our services.
Houston, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2011

Food terrible! felt sick every day It was unidentifiable didn't know what any of the "meat" was most of ANY dish had fish in it & not grilled fish, mushy mystery fish; Bedbugs! we itched every night others we talked to said they felt things biting them; we were bombarded w/people (wearing hotel shirts) trying to get us to buy things from timeshares, jewelry, partyboat trips, parasailing And it went on all day, every day. We'd walk thru the pool & would have 3 people come up to us selling the same thing, & hound us about it when we said no.

Room Tip: Bring a plastic bed cover
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
ltajes, Manager at Grand Palladium Palace Resort, Spa & Casino, responded to this review, June 16, 2011
We appreciate enormously your comments, which help us to improve our service every day. Deeply we regret that your experience at the hotel was not to your satisfaction. This situation is not common at all. Please be sure that your suggestion will be taken care of.
Our staff checked deeply the room where you have stayed and there were not any bedbugs, maybe as you said it would be mosquitoes bites.

Been to Grand Palladium Palace Resort, Spa & Casino? Share your experiences!