“Best Gay Hotel in Bavaro” 5 of 5 stars
Review of VIK Hotel Arena Blanca

Save Saved
You added VIK Hotel Arena Blanca to your Saves list
VIK Hotel Arena Blanca
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   White Sand, carretera Arena Gorda | Bávaro, Punta Cana 290217, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #71 of 100 Hotels in Punta Cana
Puerto Rico
“Best Gay Hotel in Bavaro”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2006

Well i just came back from this wonderful hotel, and i din't spect to see what i saw over there, lots of gay couples hot gay couples from everywhere and some gay dancers it was my dream hotel but the disco is very calm, not too much clients go to the disco but it was fun i have fun the animation team is wonderful they treathed me like if i was a long time friend, i'm planning to go back in november...

Stayed August 2006

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (265)
  • Polish first
Boston
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2006

Be aware that this is almost exclusively a German resort. If you plan to meet other americans you might be disappointed. The facility is quite attractive but doesn't compare with the Iberostar just down the beach. Better to book there if you want more activities and better food. The food was the biggest disappointment. Bland and uninventive. We became masters at collecting different spices and sauces from the stations and concocting our own palatable meals. It appears the chefs didn't want to unduly upset the "older" clientelle by becoming too adventurous with their selections. for the same amount of money this all inclusive charges, we would recommend you check out a Club Med. The French cuisine and outrageous selection of cheeses, seafood and vegetables is outstanding. LTI is rather a sleepy resort compared with the activity level of a Club Med and their evening shows were absolutely painful. Their idea of entertainment was showcasing kids hopping around on stage and offering karioke three times! Enough already with the drunks singing. The staff was not interested in their guests, table wine would arrive only if someone actually went to the serving station to help themselves (a big no-no). If you're interested in a quiet sleep on a beautiful white sand beach, food that won't awaken your tastebuds and staff that essential ignore you - you'll love this place!

Stayed April 2006
New York, NY
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2006

I want start by saying this was the worse vacation I have ever taken in my life.

ALL-INCLUSIVE means all is included and you don't need your wallet or have to pay extra for any food, or drinks... Don't forget to bring extra money when vacationing here because you'll need it...

The management at the hotel is awful and rude have a total disrespect for there guests. We originally booked to at the Cayenea there exclusive side. Don't waste your money for a premium that does not exist. We were finally moved over to the LTI side after battling Cataryna from Guest services after she could not justify there amenities , of premium liquor at one bar and an ala-carte menu for lunch for an extra $500.00 per person, we where 3 women traveling together. Too make matters more insulting I spoke with Cataryna on a conference call with the travel agent in regards to there amenities (premium liquor) and she lied to me and the travel agent. Knowing that one of the travelers has an extreme medical allergy to potato so she can only drink some types of Vodka, and checked the brands they carry. With all of that said she still lied!

The problems started upon arriving to the hotel immediately when we requested a ground floor room because one of the girls hurt her ankle and was on crotches. The front desk was annoyed by this misfortune because they had to make another room available. We waited patiently for the room and grabbed lunch. When we got into our room we noticed that the cushions from the couch where outside and when we asked the room maid she said they were drying out for 2 days and were moldy. Not only the cushions but the bed as well. So one of us shared a bed, who wants to sleep in a moldy bed... Our sliding glass doors and windows did not lock and our safe as well. So we went to the front desk and asked that they be fixed. Well that was our fault since we changed rooms. They fixed everything reluctantly and not understanding the danger of unlocked doors on a ground floor with 3 girls.

We where told that if you stay at the Cayenea you have access to premium alcohol throughout the resort. Well that is not the case and you can have premium at one bar but must pay for it at all other bars... That bar closes around 6.00 pm! The room was spacious but really moldy and just stunk. When I say there are no extra amenities I mean you have to retrieve your towels on the other side of the resort daily. The Cayenea is a time share not a resort, and the going rate is 250.00 per week... Our phones did not always work because the wires were hanging out.

Upon discovering that we had been scammed we requested to speak to the manager about the lack of amenities and what was stated earlier. No one from Management would speak to us and they sent Cataryna from Guest services to do their dirty work. We demanded that she justify the premium between the two. Well as I said before an ala-carte lunch, and one bar with premium liquor... One Vodka Stoli and some Scotch as well which is not inclusive but advertised as is. After 2 hours of arguing and her saying to bad we have your money deal with it and also the LTI side is completely over booked, but we managed to get a room... she could not or would not tell us what was going to be credited back if anything.

Upon arriving to our new room which by the way we carried all of our luggage to... The room was meant for 2 two people max but they brought in a cot and mattress. Well the mattress was just disgusting and should not be viewed by any guest. I mean filthy so slept together again. We got 2 room keys of which only one worked and that could not be fixed either as per mgt. The AC did not work at all so we just sweated it out for 7 days while they tried to repair it twice a day, mind you we complained night and day to get it fixed. It was 90 degrees and 3 people in a sweaty room. When pulled our comforter back to take a nap one of the beds sheets had a fresh blood stains all over it... We again had to go to the front desk because our phone had no dial tone as well. We actually had to supervise them as they stripped the beds down. There was a used tampon in the corner of the bathroom. The tub did not drain properly and we had no lights!

Food: If you like raw turkey and really bad seafood as in spoiled you will love this place. The restaurants are not all-inclusive they have a limited menu and the rest is ala-carte and not cheap... They offer a great cheese table. I came across so many people that had gotten sick from the food that I was very careful in what I ate. The grill has excellent chicken and veggies... Stay clear from the late night sandwich table. There is no 24hr or late night eatery that is a lie it’s open till 10.00. The food is catered to the European guest... The selection does not vary always the same. Breakfast is the same daily as well... Stay away from the seafood or lobster by the grill they sit out in the sun all day. Go to Captain Jacks outside the resort for some really good seafood and drinks... Punta Cana is very safe don't fall in that tourist trap info...

Alcohol: The beer is great! Anything else is rubbing alcohol and really bad and not worth the hangover or headache from. Bring a bottle with you if you if you can... It is worth lugging around. The wine that is served is watered down and really bad so we just bought a bottle at the restaurant.

ICE: They had no ice! Every day! So you drank warm drinks in the sun. When they did get ice it was gone in less than 2 hours...

The Good: Beaches are awesome and clean... The room maids and waiters and bartenders are really nice and will go out of there way for you. One waiter brought us coffee from his house and brewed for us to enjoy at the resort. Tip them daily because they really deserve it and will help you out in a pinch.

Night life: Very boring after 9.00pm nothing going on or to do... If you like shows then you will be thrilled... The disco really sucks, go outside the resort to dance and have fun. Many of the other resorts offer great clubs and casinos and entertainment for almost nothing...

Also be very careful with you room keys as they have your room number on them and they do not change the locks if the key is lost by the previous... Not very safe...

GET TRIP INSURANCE (HEALTH) BEFORE YOU GO.. THE DOCTOR AT THE HOTEL CHARGES 200.00 US $$$ A DAY. YOU ALSO HAVE TO PAY FOR A WHEEL CHAIR AS WELL DAILY.. Out of the 60 traveler 40 got sick and one is in the hospital with a stomach infection in the US. One traveler paid $600.00 US for care at the hotel !

There are a lot of all-inclusive resorts in Punta Cana that are just better than LTI. Don't waste your money here and it is not ALL-INCLUSIVE so don't be fooled.

• Liked — Absolutely Nothing
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Tips/Secrets — Stay Away from the Resort
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
kentucky
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2006

Had a real probem communicating - english. Hotel management really did nothing to be friendly nor helpful. Upon arrival the sliding glass door in my room was totally off the track and frame coming off. First, made bell boy aware of it then attempted to call down to desk (did not understand english). Then went down to lobby told to him 15 minutes so they can fix. It took approximately 4 hours later for it to be fixed. I was there with three of my girlfriends and we were all upset. We arrived on Fri by Sat we all started to getting sick. It had to be the food because we were so limited on the drinks offered couldn't have been from being drunk. Only two people at the hotel were helpful. Talked to others when traveling back to airport they had a much better hotel. They scenery is great but hotel SUCKS!!!!

• Liked — Nothing stands out!
  • Disliked — The hotel staff!
  • Tips/Secrets — Don't stay at LTI!
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Lebanon, KY
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2006

We stayed at the LTI Aug11-Aug14. When we first entered our room, the trouble began. The sliding glass door was gapped open in two places and we could not get it to close. Not only was it open, but the casing was falling off of two panels of the door. When we questioned the bell boy he "mocked" my friend as she was explaining the problem. He did call the front desk to get it taken care of. Thirty minutes went by and no one had shown up to fix the problem . So, we went to the front desk and the man at the desk was not friendly at all. He asked us to give him 30 mins. We agreed and went on our way. When returning from the pool, 3 1/2 hours later. The door was still not fixed. Oh, and I forgot to mention that the air would not work with the doors open. We then returned to the front desk. Still not a friendy response. He would not even consider moving us to another room either time we were at the desk. Finally after waiting between a total of 41/2 hours someone showed up to fix the problem.

Not an accomodating resort. Any time we needed any assistance, most of the workers acted as if we were annoying them. I would probably say that 8 out of 10 people who worked there were very RUDE!

If it wasn't for the company that went with me on the trip, I would have had a miserable time.

• Liked — The beach
  • Disliked — The rude staff!
  • Tips/Secrets — Stay some where else
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Kentucky
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2006

I went to Punta Cana with three other girls. We were skeptical about staying at LTI because of the bad reviews, but had booked through Vacation Express before with no problems. We will not return to LTI and most likely not Punta Cana either.

Some of the good: Once you get to the hotel, the place is absolutely beautiful. The pool and beach are very clean. The maid, Juana, was very nice.

The bad: The sliding glass door had three parts and on two parts, the frame was coming off. It was open about four inches and we couldn't close it because of the frames. They acted put out that we wanted it fixed...and it took 4 1/2 hours to get someone there to fix it. It seemed that they think problems will go away if not addressed. The air conditioning was poor, barely kept the rooms cool enough to sleep comfortably. (especially after the sliding door incident)

They do not have wash cloths so we asked the maid (not Juana) for another hand towel and she sharply told us no.

We were ignored several times when going to the bar...at times, there were four or five guys talking among themselves and not paying attention to the guests. We tipped on most trips to the bar throughout the day, so I don't think that was the problem. We started being just as rude as the other patrons and that seemed to work a little better, go figure.

The food was just okay, but each of us had a bout with a bad stomach. This place seemed to cater to Europeans and I did not feel as Americans that we were welcome.

I think there are much nicer places to stay with little to no difference in price.

• 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2006

I have been to this hotel 2 time for the year. The first time was a really good trip. So much so that my cousin and I and another friend we met on our first trip decided to go back there again for 2 weeks to celebrate my birthday. There was a bartender in the disco that made us a bad drink in order to get us sick. He masked 151 proof rum (the strongest rum out there) with a touch of Brandy to make it look like Mamajuana, the drink of the country which is most often taken as a shot. The bartender knew this was what we were drinking and make his own batch of it for us to intentionally get us sick. We know this b/c at the end of the night when he saw us sick and my friend throwing up, he watched and laughed and proceeded to leave the premises. He was upset b/c we were drinking and not giving him tips. Now forgive me if I'm wrong but an All Inclusive vacation to me means that tips are not required but appreciated. The next night we went back to see if he would do the same thing and guess what, he did! We took the drinks and threw them outside and he thought we had them, he wandered around us all night waiting for us to get sick b/c from what he knew, we had about 4 shots each. And he was nice enough to put them in a nice wine glass! Anyway, when we reported this to the guest services manager, she wanted to go with us one night and see what he gives us and I guess inspect it. Why would he give us the drink with them sitting right there ? And from what I understand, they advised him of what the problem was so why would he then want to get caught? We were made out to look like we were lying, we got no apology, NOTHING! The least that should have been done was that the bartender shouldn't have been left in the disco bar to tend to that many guests b/c he could have seriously harmed another guest from mixing them a bad drink just b/c he didn't like them. I do have to say a tremendous thank you to the animation team who helped us when we got sick to make sure we were ok. If it wasn't for them, we would have been sitting sick in front of the disco until the next morning. So, my advise to you if you still decided to go to this hotel is to make sure you watch what is being put into your drinks b/c you never know. And on top of it all, he did this on my birthday night! and he knew it was my birthday b/c the night before I celebrated when it hit 12am! This is what I got for going to celebrate my birthday there. Aside from this bartender and guest services, other people were friendly and only interested in us having a good time but as far as that bartender goes and the guest services manager, I strongly feel that there should be changes to some of those staff members because as long as those particlar people are there, I would NEVER pay to stay there again nor would I recommend it to ANYONE else and I do have a fairly large network of people who inquire about my vacation locations and trust my recommendations. I don't understand how this hotel could have such people working around their guests and then when he causes problems for them, nothing is done about it. On top of all that, guest services advised us that they have had prior problems with him and they were trying to get him out, so if they knew that he was such an issue, why was he still there? Why was he allowed to ruin nights of our vacation which we paid hard working money for and why were we not given at least an apology. As repeater guests, I would have expected a higher level of service with an issue such as this one, he could have given us alcohol poisoning and then what would they have done?

• Liked — the view
  • Disliked — the bartender at the disco and the guest services manager.
  • Tips/Secrets — DON'T EVER TAKE DRINKS THAT ARE ALREADY MIXED, WATCH THEM BEING MADE.
  • Stayed May 2006, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to VIK Hotel Arena Blanca? Share your experiences!