“vik arena blanca, all incl. not going back” 2 of 5 stars
Review of VIK Hotel Arena Blanca

You added VIK Hotel Arena Blanca to your Saves list
VIK Hotel Arena Blanca
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   White Sand, carretera Arena Gorda | Bávaro, Punta Cana 290217, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #74 of 102 Hotels in Punta Cana
alberta
“vik arena blanca, all incl. not going back”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2009

Unless you know spanish very well, it's hard to communicate with hotel front desk. No one knows what's going on. The food is not bad. the "a la carte" is "a la crap!" don't bother. The rooms are okay, you get what you pay for! but... It's not that clean, bring your own shampoo, own soap, own beach towels. Oh, by the way, pay attention to the bottled water they give your room. Some of them have been "refilled". My room has always been cleaned after 3:00. Sometimes 5:00pm. I hate to see it during the real busy time!
The hut for the beach towels, was often closed during the day, sometimes open with no towels. Basically, the only thing I loved was the beach, it's clean not crowded, water is beautifull, thank god.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (284)
  • Polish first
Toronto
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2009

THE BEACH: Ahhh.... the beach and the waves are great. Water is quite sandy, so it gets in everywhere... Great ocean bottom, very firm and all sand, no rocks. Plenty of palapas on the beach, but you must get up early (6:30 a.m.) to reserve your spot, although they say not to do it, you have no choice. Watch out for the hotel beach towels, they may disappear... Sunrises are exquisite so getting up early is well worth it. Did not appreciate the folks who reserve their chairs and don't show up till after 12 noon! Not nice people!

HOTEL GROUNDS: the grounds are quite beautiful and very well maintained. Not many flowers though, could be the time of year. It is a small resort and getting to all of the amenities is quick and easy. Three story buildings, no elevators.

FOOD & RESTAURANTS: the food was okay. Better than in Cuba for sure. You could always find something quite delicious at the buffet. The snack bar at the beach is great - the pizza is very good and we got quite addicted to it. They also have burgers, hot dogs and french fries. The buffet inside the beach bar is quite pathetic. It's about a six foot long table - nothing else really. The food sits there most of the afternoon (cold cuts, desserts...) not so good on the digestive system. Stick to the pizza. Bar service at the beach restaurant is non existent. You have to get your own and line up at the bar (at times it was as long as 10 or so people, with one bartender). They only give you small cups, so if you can - bring a mug from home. The small beach bar hut is horrendous (service I mean). You can stand there for quite some time and be ignored unless you flash a tip to the guy. He was quite obnoxious. The other restaurants were okay, nothing to write home about. The only ones that were all inclusive were the Italian and the International. The two other restaurants or theme nights you had to pay a surplus (anywhere from $25 - $75 US per person). We felt we had paid enough already and were satisfied with the Main Buffet. Service at the main restaurant was awfull (except for Louisa). They never set a table properly, so you either found yourself with coffee but no cups and after asking 2 or 3 times for one, you had to steal one from another table. This went on all week. The wait staff did the same thing, they would clear a table and reset it with half of the cutlery or napkins. When you asked them for something you felt like you were imposing. It wasn't pleasant. The buffet ran out of plates and glasses, how is that possible?? Not sure why they can't get this done right. What do they do when the hotel is full???

ROOMS: We stayed in a sea view room, very outdated. The size of the bedroom is great. With an easterly view, our door handle to the patio got extremely hot so be careful. Also, it did not lock. The bathroom is very small, I was claustrophobic in the toilet area - when your knees touch the wall, it's not good! Although my brother said it was good if you had too much to drink, you could lean over and rest your head! The shower did not work properly until four days later. That was the best shower of the week - at 4 pm on a Thursday, I finally had a decent shower. I will always remember that one! The water pressure was non existent and this happened throughout the day, not just during peak hours. Although this seemed to be isolated to our room only. They do not supply soap (they do, but it's dispensed from a wall mounted bottle and ours did not work, so we had to buy a $4US bar of soap). In the renovated rooms I am told that although very bland looking the shower is good but it flows through the bathroom as there is no divider. People were concerned about the water on the floor. The worst part about the room was the linens - ours were very rough and all you got on a king size bed were two lousy pillows (all bumpy and disgusting). My hubby brought his from home (smart guy). They only supply you with a top sheet and the bedspread (yuck....) and the bottom sheet is not fitted and was too short and kept coming off. I woke up one morning with my face on the mattress and realized that they had not given me a pillow case.... I don't want to think about this anymore....

SHOWS: Can't say too much about them as we could not stay at the shows. Too many smokers. Although our friends did attend and said that the Circus was amazing but that the other shows were quite lame compared to other resorts.

GUESTS: I would say that the hotel was about 1/2 full. Several areas of the restaurants were closed off. The majority of the guests I would say was German and Russian, with very few Americans and Canadians. We found the Europeans to be very heavy smokers. Ashtrays were filled to the rim around the pool and not cleaned out regularly. They have a smoking area in the Buffet Restaurant so if the other section is full, you either had to wait for a non-smoking section or venture into the smoking one.

THE WORST: The many timeshare salespeople that accosted you the second you came out of the Buffet in the morning, you turn them down, only to be held up by another one 50 yards away.... this went on all week. They were also all over the beach on either side of our resort, no matter how many times you said no they came after you. I hated walking past these guys. They mostly went after couples and they were relentless. Walk in the water when you get near them as they wear shoes and cannot get close to you that way.
They are lined up and if you say no to one, the other comes after you. I resented the ones on the resort and on the paths to our rooms. The public washrooms (women's) were the most disgusting I have ever seen. It didn't matter which ones, the ones near the beach, the hotel lobby or the restaurants... they were all the same. I complained several times and was told they yes they knew they were blocked.... nothing else was done. I have travelled for 30 years throughout the Caribbean and have never seen anything like it. Front desk staff (except for Ricardo) were obnoxious to say the least. We never got the rooms we had requested and paid for and they claimed that they were full - my eye! It took lots of cajoling and niceties to finally get a fairly decent room with what we wanted although no oceanview. This took us three hours to negotiate. We were very nice about it - I wonder if nastiness would work better?

NOLITOURS: This was the tour operator - never again. They claimed to have cancelled our flight and rebooked us to a later one which returned to Toronto at 1:30 a.m. on a Monday morning. We found out that we were bumped to the next flight, everybody else came in at 3:00 p.m. Not impressed. Also, their rep at the hotel was as dead as a doorknob.... it was painful to get anything out of her. How can a Tour operator not know exactly which hotel their clients are staying at???? We had to drive around to pick up one person for the bus back to the airport and they were not sure which hotel she was staying at??? One and a half hour later, we finally gave up looking for her. The ride to the airport is usually 20 minutes.....

ALL IN ALL: Went with 5 other people and as a group we had a great time together. We are very laid back people and can go with the flow. But the VIK Arena Blanca needs a major overhaul and their staff need to be retrained in customer service. Punta Cana yes (but try the Excellence), VIK absolutely NOT.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with friends
New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2009

Our family stays regulary in the Punta Cana area and this was our first visit to this particular hotel. We are a mixed group of adults teens and young children.

Rooms are adequate and clean which is ok with us as we spend very little time in it and maid service was daily and well done.

Food was not as good as in many of the other hotels we have stayed at, but there was always something for everyone. We tend to stay away from salads as we have experienced tummy upsets in the past, but luckily no one had any upset.

Grounds were very well kept and pretty.

Beach was wonderful, we spent most of our holiday there and could not fault it. If you are a fan of scuba diving it is a must.

Staff were curtious and friendly, even if the entertainment team could be a little too over friendly with the teenage girls, but altogether harmless. Reception staff could do with a lesson in smiling though.

Entertainment was quite good, allthough we were very pleased to see The circus show we had seen at other resorts, wow that show is AMAZING!! The entertainment staff also do a very good job.

ALL in all a very pleasant stay, allthough next time we may try another hotel or return to one of our favorites.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
new bedford
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2009

First the staff is very rude and does not accomidate any of your needs.... Second No 5 resturants ( your only choice is buffet and italian with 5 items on menu, the others, you have to pay for your meal)...No swim up bar in the pool.....My room was not clean for 3 days (I had to go to the lobby at 2:30 am for toilet paper cuz I called 3 times and they never brought it).....No nite life (the club had 2 people at the bar and it was smaller than a living room in my house).....Absolutely no room service or 24 food (if you don't eat dinner, your screwed)....Free water sports was snorkling for 1 hour and kyaking but the surf was too strong for this hotel but others were all out kyaking that was it

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2009

Stayed Sept 24th to Oct 1st at the Vik.
This is a medium sized resort, which is just perfect, if you don't want to walk a long 'HOT'
distance to the beach or lunch & dinner.
I arrived late due to Air Transat flight delay in Puerto Plata, then again on my return flight to Toronto. Least to say, I won't be flying with them again.
Dhiana at the front desk, gave me a warm greeting and processed me quickly.
Renovated building # 4 for Air Transat vacation travellers - modern and clean w/ rain shower head in bathroom and flat screen tv mounted on the wall. You can attach a portable dvd player to it. Pictures to come.
You get a remote control at the front desk ( must be returned at checkout) and it's $2.00 USD per day for the Safe, which I bypassed & your beach towel card.
Only two problems - no shampoo and remote didn't work. Both were taken care of immediately by front desk !
The grounds are gorgeous and nearly all the restaurants, including buffet were open air !
I've been to Mexico, Hawaii & Cuba, but Punta Cana's beach is so far the best !
White soft sand and you can walk for miles and miles ! The water is almost always sooo calm and bath water warm, crystal clear green with lots of exotic fish.
All activities were pretty standard fare and the food was much better than Cuba, but not as good as Mexico. There is a modern air conditioned gym, beside the spa & medical building, which I used between high noon to 2 PM. The sun is blistering between those times!
There really is no town to speak of in Punta Cana, so activity excursions and suntanning on the beach is pretty much it ! Oh, it topless by the way and this resort was predominately German tourist, so you'll see alot that you may not want to see ! LOL
It's not a nude beach, but one odd European woman decide to go all natural, she got alot of weird looks, but she was kind of odd anyways ! LOL
All in all, got what I needed....R&R, but I still prefer Playa del Carmen in Mexico !

• Stayed September 2009, traveled solo
cambridge, on
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2009

Well from the moment we arrived until the day we left we were treated well. I will share the positives and then some of the negatives.
Positives : good food, buffet is amazing, always things to choose from and the desserts are excellent. service was excellent from the maids to the waitresses to the grounds keepers, we travelled with an eight month old baby and all the staff were great with him.
Beach what can I say - speechless, get the snorkling gear and go out, tropical fish everywhere..
drinks were definetly made to par if not one over, perfect. Always things to do.

Negatives : Rooms were a little damp during the day but in the evening it was better.
be careful seeing the vendors on the beach as I found them to be quite rude and way overpriced but you can definetly haggle to bring them down in price, the calculator thing is still too funny " you'll see what I mean "

Overall an amazing trip, would definetly recommened this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
derbyshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2009

we stayed at the vik on the 20th of august for 2 weeks having read some bad reports before we went,we were a bit nervous to say the least of what to expect,but if i can write this report to put people's mind at ease it was fantastic the food was great,the waitors were very polite and friendly,very clean hotel the pool was o.k and the gardens were second to none,the gardeners work endlessly.look out for the man we named the coconut man climbing the trees cutting the coconuts down we spoke to him and he gave us coconuts'check out felix the cocktail waitor nice guy,the staff from the waitors to the cleaners can,t do enough for you.now to the beach,prepare yourself because this is paradise,plenty to do try the para sailing and the catamaran to saona island and buy the video they are memories to cherish,going back to the watersports though be prepared to haggle because they give you one price one day and another price another day.they do hound you a bit to go on the trips but once youve booked something they leave you alone.we booked the catamaran with francis who operates inside the grounds of the vik and carlos for the swimming with dolphins,a lot cheaper than booking through your rep.we took a 7 month old baby and we had no problems,the locals love children but take your own milk because we ran out and it cost us 30 dollars for another tin and it was half the size of u.k milk.i just want to reply about people getting upset stomaches from what they have eaten my experience was there was eight of us in our party and we ate and drank everything,and we didnt have any problems with delli belly.so the choice is yours,listen to the moaners of this world or go enjoy yourself,i know what i did and i would definately do it again.chow.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family

Been to VIK Hotel Arena Blanca? Share your experiences!