“Awesome 1 week last minute vacation” 4 of 5 stars
Review of VIK Hotel Arena Blanca

You added VIK Hotel Arena Blanca to your Saves list
VIK Hotel Arena Blanca
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   White Sand, carretera Arena Gorda | Bávaro, Punta Cana 290217, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #72 of 98 Hotels in Punta Cana
“Awesome 1 week last minute vacation”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2009

Having decided only 2 days prior, my boyfriend and I arrived at VIK and were pleasantly surprised. Check in was an absolute joy and the staff were friendly and very helpful. The renovated room (very clean thanks to our maid, Anita) was adequate but still needed final touches like more lighting and artwork. The bathroom door was a bit strange but a window in the door certainly ain't the end of the world!!!
Having walked about a third of Bavaro Beach in the past couple of yrs, VIK has one of the best stretches we've seen.
The resort grounds and pools are absolutely amazing, very well kept...extremely clean!!!
Being a fussy eater, I was pleased to find how good the food was not to mention the awesome selection of fantastic desserts. A la carte dining was was very enjoyable with no advanced reservations required. Having a rose presented to me at the A la carte on Valentine's night was a very special touch.
Hat's off to Felix at the beach bar, he's always smiling, singing and very helpful...staff was amazing at VIK.
Entertainment started with kids dancing and singing around 8:30pm then at 9:30 the show began. While we didn't take in every show we were blown away with the ones we did see. The Dominican people are very talented in everything they do.
We've been to the DR four times and staying at 5, 4 and 3 star resorts we have yet to be disappointed!!!!!!!!
Always remember things are different than home. A clean room, Sun, Beach & Rum always makes for a great vacation.
Next stops Arenas Doradas in Varadero, Cuba(March) followed by 2 wks at Dreams La Romana(April) Stay tuned for reviews!!!

3 Thank NewfoundlandGlobob

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (371)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2009

My overall experience is OK and I would not go again or recommend this resort if you are looking for the memorable and amazing trip you are seeking.

Booking this trip was purely last minute. Bought on Monday and flew out Friday. It was the cheapest for leaving they day I wanted. Thus this trip was highly motivated on price. Yet the price I paid is 300.00 more than what it would be if I were to leave now. Probably due to a high season of Toronto Student Travelers during their off weeks is why the price is higher than normal

The service is friendly and had no issues with anyone who worked there or their working ethic. The towel service was just not open a few times when I wanted to exchange or return towels. My mini fridge was restocked during the evening while I was getting ready for bed which I find odd.

I stayed in building 4 which was going under renovations and I spent about 50 dollars more per person for a renovated room. Problem was that on the top floor had no ceiling lights (well perhaps just my room) and only had 2 wall lamps. It was a bit too dark at night for my liking. The LCD TV had a huge amount of Movie channels to watch from and the AC was cool.
Problem with the AC was when the exhaust fan from the washroom was on you can smell what it was exhausting in the bedroom. So we made sure we never turned the exhaust fan.

The restaurants were OK and nothing really stood out. I am from a background where the food served were very similar to ethnic food I am used to so nothing was spectacular or memorable. Breakfast was pretty much the closest to something of value.
The snack area near the pools had 4 kinds of basic pizza: seafood, cheese, tomato & onion, ham. Hotdogs, burgers. I avoided the buns since it was dry and tough.

The night show was mediocre at best but I could not expect more. One night they had a Michael Jackson which involved a lot of lip synching and choreographed dances moves. This impressed me. But overall nothing to go rush for.

As for the Mosquitoes and bugs: Mosquitoes seemed to feast on my legs a night in the restaurants and nowhere else. Rooms and all the other general areas had no mosquitoes. The last day upon leaving I had breakfast and noticed a group of aphids on the table next to me.

The beach is one of the best beaches I ever seen. As for the resorts portion of the beach they had a fair amount of beach chairs but when it came to morning to midafternoon it would be hard to find a chair. Therefore the poolside had to do to soak up the sun. Also on the beach there are topless women who should not be topless.

If you walk north on the beach (or Left facing the beach) past the next resort there are a few shops to go shop. You can work yourself down from "$120" statue to $20 which to me is still expensive for carved wood. You can find whatever the on resort shops are selling there at these minishops for cheaper. You can always maybe barter a bottle of coke or sprite for a few things. The local town shops is quite the walk away or you can just cab it there. But nothing really spectacular unless you want to do something differnet after being on this plain resort for days.

Mostly 40+ demographic couples. 30+ couples with kids. Recall seeing one Black man by himself and one asian couple.

I decided to do the horse back riding. Theresa who works in the small kiosk near the towel service and table tennis is easy to talk to and get discounts with no hassles. The horseback riding is exciting for a person who hasn’t done it and just plain if you have gone horseback riding already. Something inexpensive to kill time which has a short bus ride to the ranch where the horseback riding takes place. Horses Tessa and Alanjendro are well trained but seem old.

My personal experience I would say watch out for some Cayena Beach House employees. It’s a VIP location on the resort. They ask you if you want a tour of the beach house and as a patron of VIK Arena you get a welcome package after 48 hours of being there. To me it’s somewhat a hoax to get you to follow them there to see how nice the beach house is and get you to sit down and to try to buy a membership to Interval International. So watch out.

Overall, I would suggest going here if it’s REAL cheap for its season. For the price I paid I would just spent it on a 5 star for less days. From my review it looks like I have nothing here to make you want to go unless you want a plain vacation with no troubles.

4 Thank hydrophantom
Calgary AB
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2009

"It's simple"
The service ,food ,entertainment ,grounds,beach, staff are great.We would recommend this resort to our firends.Golf at the White Sands golf course is cheap if you buy a 3 or 5 time package ($280.00 US for 5 games c/w cart and no caddy required and t's only a 12 min. walk or a 3 minute cab fare for $8.00 ) It's not the best course but if you like to just get out and play it's a great deal and you will find it challenging.air Transit wanted $135.00 per game for this course and the web site says $400.00 for 5 rounds.

1 Thank Rices
Kensington, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2009

This was a wonderful four star resort.
Starting in Halifax, we had an uneventful, direct flight to Punta Cana, with Transat. Arrived at Punta Cana airport, no problem being directed to our bus. Drive to resort was about 45 minutes, only because our resort is at the end of the line . Busing system is much like what they use for schools, start and stop at each resort. one bus to do the circuit. Each resort does not have their own bus. We arrived and were given a room right away. Much to our surprise, as several people ahead of us in line were told they would have to wait a few hours for check-in. When they called our name we shouted Ola!! and shook their hands,( I think this help with our service).But, hey, if you have to wait...have your bikini in your carry on and go to the beach. They have a safe room for your luggage. No problemo.
Our room... was nice, not exceptional. but clean and comfortable. Everything worked. and had a nice little patio to sit and have a drink. Had a problem the next morning with ants. Our own mistake,as we left out our toothpaste and toothbrushes on the sink. This is a nono. Have a ziplock bag for your sweet smelling/tasting toiletries. after we did this hardly saw another ant. (but cost $12US for a new tooth brush). BE SURE you have all toiletries/medical/ stuff/ sunscreen etc...before you get there. These essentials are DRASTICALLY overpriced in the shops. Heck, why not, you need them...
Nice pool and area, although we spent little time in the pool area.
Restaurants...we enjoyed very much, I don't cook much so my Husband was happy just to have someone preparing him three meals a day.LOL
We enjoyed the food, always lots, most we liked some we didn't. The pasta bar was TERRIFIC!! Did the a la carte one night. Wasn't impressed, stuck with the buffets after that. Nice little barbq pit closer to the beach. It had great ribs, chicken, hotdogs, hamburgers and fries.
Bars...all the drinks are served in LITTLE plastic cups, with very little flare. That was a little disappointing , as the little umbrellas and coconut shells are a nice Carribean touch.we are taking our own mugs this year, save trips to the bar.
The beach...words can't describe, part of Bavaro. nuff said
The Staff...never came across anyone we didn't like, everyone was very nice/helpful/ accommodating. We left tips accordingly, but never felt it was expected, nor did we feel it affected the service we received.
There is no swim up bar in the pool, no room servic and no bar service at the beach. Long as you know this before hand you won't be disappointed when you get there.
Overall...we really enjoyed all aspects of out stay at this resort. We are going back in two weeks. I guess thats the best recommendation we can give it.

• Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mistymoon67
rhode island
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2009

This being our 14th time visiting the D. Republic, we have come expect a certain quality of hotel/food and beach. The VIK ( formerly the LTI) far surpassed any of the previous experiences.
Food: quality, variety and presentation were excellent. The
"native" food area always was tasty and excellent quality. The beef, usually tough, was excellent UNTIL the grill chef overcooks it. I was there when he was cutting the tenderlions (!!!) and asked for the medium rare slices before they went again on the grill... better then Texas steak houses ! Wide variety to suit all tastes.. chicken, fish, pork, nice vegetables and excellent salads. The stir fry area is worth a try or two.Wait staff was understaffed at times, but SANCHEZ was wonderful and all dinning room staff were pleasent. The house wine is aged, at least a day or two :)The VIK is going through an updating and I assume the building 5 and 4 are newer. We were in building 2 (room 2010), very clean, a bit dated, but more then acceptable. Pillows are thin, matress hard, but clean. The beach is superb... possibly as much as six to seven miles long.. nice sand and the usual beach vendors trying to sell time shares... just walk a bit in the water and they stay away.. do not want to get their shoes wet! The hotel beach area had plenty of shaded area and loungers and also the pool had shaded and full sun areas with plenty of lounges.The bars serve the usual resort drinks and bar tenders seemed pleasent. The lobby bar has an great expresso machine(self serve) and nice area for sitting and sipping. The ground crews were the best I have ever noticed in the Carribean. Continually cleaning, sweeping, pruning.. giving out fresjh pieces of coconuts from freshly fallen coconuts. The grounds are magnificant. The only negative was it took five days(four nice requests and then one angry request) to get a water drop leak in our bathroom ceiling.. dripping unto the toilet.. fixed. A small pin hole in the hot water pipe above the ceiling and satruated the insulation. The maintenance fixed it, left the bathroom a complete mess, which needed a good scouring by the maid staff and then a once over by us... but the leak stopped... for three days!!!

• Liked — Beach area
  • Disliked — Older furnishings in need of updating
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank stjohnar
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2009

if you need a getaway vacation just to relax unwind,go for vik arena!
pros:foods good -there's variety and i have a delicate stomach but i never fell sick,beach is worth dieing for,sun loungers amazing, market is 10 minute walk, staff friendly, safe resort
cons: rooms/furniture need to be updated, i paid a 1oo extra for sea view-don't pay that you hardly see the beach,topless women all around-my bf had a great week lol, and the washroom has a window-kind of stupid....

more like a 3.5 stars out of 5 stars...i went cuz it was a good deal.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank hpgss1288
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2009

We travelled to the VIK from January 30th to Febuary 6th and all in all it was a great trip!! We were greated with smiles and a local drink while we checked into our rooms. There was no waiting at all which was good to see, and everyone was really helpful on where to go. We ended up being in the building #4 which is newly renovated! No complaints about the rooms...they were great!!
The grounds, pool, beach and ocean were all gorgeous!! The food was fantastic...there was always something to eat throughout the day and the breakfast, lunch and dinner buffets were always different!! Great variety of food!! We never did try out the el la carte restaurant because those who did said the buffet was better. There was also a place near the beach to have pizza, burgers, hot dogs and fries. So there always food around if u got hungry!
Most of the drinks were sugary, but definately worth trying. We found the Banana mama's to be the best! If you don't like all that sugar, just add some water and it would be fine!
We took a couple of tours during our stay. The first one was the Bavarro Runners Tour. We drove around stoppping at various places to look at. It is an all day excursion, and if u want to see the country side, this is the tour to take!! The other tour we took was the Marinarium. Here we took a Catamaran trip to go snorkeling with Sharks and Sting-rays. Very good time as well. This is only a half a day tour, so much shorter. We also stopped at a natural pool in the ocean on the tour...so all in all, they were both great tours!
The market which is only a five minute walk from the resort is definately worth taking in!! You pay what you think it is worth, not what they are asking. If you don't like the price, walk away and they are begging you to come back! We found some awesome deals there. We also went "down-town" to another mini-mall type thing, and it was even cheaper there.
There are pushy salesmen all over the place, but just politely say no and walk away! It is that simple!
I would have to say for this being our first trip to the Dominican, we loved it!! The VIK was a great choice for our first trip, and in years down the road, we all agreed we would go back there!!

• Liked — The gorgeous grounds and beaches
  • Disliked — the pushy salesmen
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank stew76_3