“Woo-hoo...Hee-hee! Michael Jackson Tribute Was Unforgettable!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of VIK Hotel Arena Blanca

You added VIK Hotel Arena Blanca to your Saves list
VIK Hotel Arena Blanca
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   White Sand, carretera Arena Gorda | Bávaro, Punta Cana 290217, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #74 of 102 Hotels in Punta Cana
Atlanta, Georgia
“Woo-hoo...Hee-hee! Michael Jackson Tribute Was Unforgettable!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

If you think you're booking a 5-star luxury resort when you book the VIK, then you're going to be disappointed. However, if you can appreciate the fact that this is probably the best bang for your buck for an all-inclusive resort in Punta Cana, then you can relax and enjoy your vacation by tempering your expectations. Consider that our family of 5 paid $500 (through a Southwest Vacations package deal) for a 7-night all-inclusive stay at the VIK this past fall. That's not $500 pp...That's $500 TOTAL for the 5 of us! Somebody lost money on that deal, and it wasn't us.

Of course your specific cost will vary...But it's pretty hard for me to complain since it would've cost us MORE to stay home and go out and eat 3 buffet meals/day and see nightly entertainment! For some odd reason, I could book 2 dbl rooms for us hundreds of dollars cheaper than 1 family suite. Since I'd read that sometimes the A/C doesn't work in rooms in many of the resorts in PC, I liked the idea of having 2 chances to get a good A/C because believe me...You're going to need a working A/C in PC! It's the only place I've ever been where sweat was constantly coming out of every pore on my body the entire time we sat down and ate a meal.

Turns out both rooms had A/C systems so cold you could hang meat in them. Yeah, there were some "problems" with 1 of the rooms. Specifically, they were doing construction -- and I mean a full renovation -- on the 2 floors above it. I came in one afternoon and I kid you not, water was "dripping profusely" through the ceiling into the shower and rest of the bathroom. I knew (from reading other reviews of this "European" resort) that it wouldn't do any good to run down to the office and complain to a desk clerk who couldn't care less.

So I calmly called the front desk and said, "Something seems to be wrong in our bathroom. Water is pouring into it from the ceiling and destroying everything in the room. Just thought I'd let you know..." You'd be surprised how quickly the guys from maintenance showed up and repaired everything! Fortunately this was "my" room because my wife would've lost her mind if it happened in "her" room (haha)...I just kept telling myself that we're only paying $14/person/night, so nothing should surprise me. Then we all went and hammered the dinner buffet while they worked on the room.

As for the food, we never went hungry! In fact, we kept the omelette station (fist bumps necessary or you won't be served) during breakfast and the pasta & stir fry stations busy during dinner. While it's hard to name specific dishes that were memorable (other than meatballs that were absolutely delicious), none of us ever spit anything out. There was always plenty of variety on the massive buffet...Or you could have your food prepared right before your eyes at one of the stations. I will say the chicken & steak stir fry with noodles and HOT sauce was spectacular, and I'm not a stir fry kind of guy! Some might say I was even seen going back for thirds there on some nights...I will neither confirm nor deny.

Nightly entertainment was typical all-inclusive resort stuff: acrobatics, dancing, magic, etc. But this time there was a pleasant surprise -- The Michael Jackson Tribute Show. I'll say this much...This show is as close as you're ever going to get to having front row seats to see Michael Jackson! It was truly impressive! You can see videos of it on YT. The guy (and his troupe) are so good, you'll think it's MJ himself. Just a tremendous performance and something I thought would be reserved for only the more expensive resorts in the area...

Oh...There's a pizza/burgers/hot dogs/fries place right by the pool. Just make sure the meat is well-cooked. I had to tell the "chefs" that the burgers were practically raw one day. He offered to make us a cheese-stuffed crust pizza in the pizza oven...The kids will tell you it was the best thing they ate there all week! I had a slice and it really was good. I swear it had 2-3 lbs of cheese in and on that one pizza...And after the nightly show, there's a cooler near the bar that they stuff with tuna and ham/cheese hoagies for midnight snacks. You can even press them yourself if you like them toasted.

So when I consider all things, this was a 5-star resort FOR US based on VALUE. We typically got up and left the resort during the days, had plenty to eat & drink while on property, played with a beach ball in the pool each day, played pool & foosball whenever we wanted, went to the beach a couple of times, saw some decent nighttime entertainment, had cold A/C and a place each night to lay our heads.

I've seen many people complain about the VIK Arena. If you don't expect the Taj Mahal, then you probably won't be disappointed. If you do expect the TM, then you're booking the wrong place and you'll need to pay more -- considerably more -- to get what you want.

PS. PLEASE TIP for good service. The workers are bused in from nearby towns like Higuey and they work hard at the resorts and many of them don't even earn $100 a month. We tipped the maids and got freshly picked flowers on our beds each day -- a sign of true appreciation for how a little extra $$$ can make a difference in their lives. We visited one of the local schools on a school day and many of the kids only have a single uniform to last them an entire year.

Enjoy Punta Cana and the wonderful, friendly people of the Dominican Republic!!!

Room Tip: Get the portable wi-fi from gobecon.com for $30 per week. Take it wherever you go. We had 2 ipods, a...
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (284)
  • Polish first
ontario
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Overall it is a nice hotel. It is clean and very comfortable.Rooms are a nice size very roomy with a fridge filled with water every day. Staff is very good and they are looking after your best interest. Beautiful grounds ,beach is tiny and you are crammed in side by side,but if you walk down on either side there are lots of little pockets of peace and quite.Pack a lunch and head out for the day.Or if you are feeling fit and want to take a walk into town only five miles it is a pleasant walk and lots to do in town. I am not a pool person but there was two large sized pools cleaned every day that look very nice. Overall experience was very pleasant and I would return.

Room Tip: I was on the second floor,on a three storey walk up .
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled solo
State College, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I just got back from a week at the VIK. My husband and I had a good time. The beach is beautiful and the weather was lovely. Our room was clean and the bed was comfortable. Furniture was a bit old i.e. shelf nobs off, sticking drawers. The bathroom was a bit dark but the shower was fine and the air conditioner worked well. The room was not fancy but it was clean and comfortable.

The food was a bit challenging. Breakfast omelets were great. Lunch and dinner were not so hot. They don't seem to believe in spices. Most things were very bland and even lacking in salt. Even the pasta sauces were not very tasty. It is best to try the two carving stations. The baked chicken was nicely spiced but hacked into often unrecognizable pieces. The ala carte restaurants, Italian and Mexican were O.K. but nothing special. It was nice to be served for a change. Sadly, my gut was not happy the whole time I was there. Luckily, I had medication to help but I wonder about their "safe" drinking water.

The help was very hard working and nice. The front desk manager is a bit difficult and not pleasant. We did have to fight to get a room with one bed. The help were the only ones speaking Spanish. I actually felt like I was in Germany because 50% or more of the guests were speaking German. 40% were speaking Russian. 9% were French speaking. 1% or less were from English speaking countries. If you want a European experience, this is a good place to go.

The place is quite small which is nice. It is easy to walk to the beach, lobby and dinning room. There were many very old people there. I felt like I was in an old Miami Beach hotel in the 50's.
The daytime activity people work hard and are very nice. Don't bother with the evening entertainment. Go to bed early and get to the beach early.

The Wi Fi is TERRIBLE! It was our daily frustration to try to email or Skype. The hotel really needs to improve this. Everyone was very frustrated with it.

O.K. here comes the best part and why we had a good time. The beach is beautiful. The waves were just right when we were there. The ocean was warm and there were plenty of shady spots on the beach and around the pool. The beach bar tender was very nice. It was possible to take nice long walks on the beach too.

It was a good price and a great beach. I will not go back because of the stomach issues.

Room Tip: We liked bldg. 4 on the third floor. Bldg. 5 is more expensive but might have ocean view.
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
Torquay, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Where dof I begin, so on arrive we was informed that we did not hAve a resavation and was charged $200 us as a gurantee (which we did get back the next day) just 2 check into the place we was not on our own with this. Next as a person from England I felt that we was treated like a bad smell 2b put up with and ignored 90% of the time. Now the food 2 as something else one of our party was served raw chicken.......twice, the bacon was cremated (I like we'll done bacon, but this was a whole new level). Like I said if u r English u will be at the back of everything well after people like the French, Russians, Americans, Canadians, Germans, Italians and even after the Greek. Our hotel room was fumarate not once but twice and we still found bugs running around the room, while outside we had a mosquito breading pit. Now on 2 the so called "entertainment" that's a joke 2 even refer 2 it as that, ok If u r 18-20 u r ok but 4 everyone else my advice is DON'T BOTHER, the children's entertainer should be sacked and never allowed 2 have anything 2 do with kids of any age, my grandkid's was attacked in front of her and she just laughed (we saw the second attack) snack time lol (served between meals) is another joke due the the ignorance of the French it is what only can be discribed as "feeding time at the local zoo". 2 couples had cred to go home the week b4 we arrived whilst in our midale week another 6 people was charged the guarantee of 200usd all in all the only thing I can say if u r still even thinking of booking in at this hotel all I can say is u must be mad and need 2 seek medical advice due 2 u having had a bump on u r head because I could not in any way recommend this hotel 2 2 anyone ever, if I had 2 words 2 di scribe it they would be "hell hole" THINK b4 U BOOK THIS HOTEL take my advice DON'T DO IT we was there between the 21st November and the 5th of December and believe me i will never ever go back

Room Tip: I could not say that there is anything 2 do around the hotel because there is absolutely nothing wor...
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled with family
Toroni, Greece
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Dec 5-Dec 12,2014 40 minutes from airport with a minibus, quick check-in.We asked for a quiet room with queen/king bed on a third flooor--received a room with 2 double bed on second floor.
Thin walls and ceramic floor tiles, noise was coming from early risers above (6:30 am) and from stay up late ( 1am) from rooms beside.Room was dark at night,no table lamp in room, very minimal lighting.In bathroom the shower had clean glass towards the sink, no curtains, no toilet door. Small 20" LCD TV, with about 10 English channels.Minifridge with 2 bottles of water (1.5L/each) restocked daily.Balcony with 2 hard and uncomfortable wicker chairs.Air condition only made room temperature to 24-25 C, it was noisy also, so for sleeping only the ceiling fan stayed on. The open air buffeet restaurant got very hot by lunch, and flies and birds were eating the food and some painting was done on the structure.Food was always luke warm temperature and mostly fried in oil.Self served wine and beer was available for lunch/dinner.In a snack bar pizza,hot dog,hamburger and french fries during the day.Cafee machine in the lobby, where Internet was working only, 3 days $10, 1 week $20 ---always full of people.
Most of the guests were European: 50% french, 25 % russian, 10 % german, etc..with many older people.Large size swimming pool, however there is no swim up bar to get a drink.
Photos from 2011-2012 are showing lot more palm trees around walkways and in the middle of the swimming pool,--they are not there any more--so there is very little shade left ! The beach also have serious erosion problem, the water already killed 1 rows of palm trees and during our short stay 3 palapas got destroyed by the water.The 4 rows of beach beds are now occupy all the remaining sandy area,--walking on the beach ment walking in the water and you will get wet
The waves were about 1 m (3 ft) high every day, the red warning flag was always on.
Poor nightly entertainment, not even any live band or music.

Room Tip: You will not be able to choose a room, these will be their answers: --we are fully booked --this i...
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I was stay in VIK between Nov. 22rd and 29th, 2014. In general I like VIK very much. The resort is clean and well maintained with very good layout. The room layout was one of best room I have ever stay even it did not have high end furniture. The restaurants were all good and spacious. I don't need to reserve dinner time even in special restaurants. The bars were great and convenient, especially the beach bar that severs so many kind of cocktail drinks. The entertaining shows in the evening were also very good. Of course, the staff were great, too, especially the girl, Kristine, at guest service. She is a very nice girl and always tries her best to help me when I asked. I had a very good time at VIK. I felt a week was too short. I was thinking if I have time I'd like stay here for a month. Even I had not got time to find detail about VIK before I arrived, I almost have tried everything provided by VIK after I checked in. I got full relaxed and refreshed here.

Well there was also something I was disappointed though it was mainly due to other guests. Too many smokers hanging in the resort. Some guests did not know basic courtesy. I put my towel on a lounger under a Parasol in early morning when I watched sun rising. When I came back, a man was lying under the Parasol by your lounger! It was off peak season. There are so many Parasols on the beach. I felt disgusting.
The room key was really bad. It was frequently malfunction! The information on VIK website, welcome package and road instruction board were somewhat inconsistent. Guests came from too many different sources, there was no introduction orientation. I thought that might make some services such as photo shot, GYM and tennis coaching unknown. The bullet board for daily activities near buffet restaurant and on beach were old style. If you don't dig you would not know all about the VIK. WIFI could only cover lobby area even you pay. The TV channels were either Spanish, or for United States. I could not even find any channel for local weather forecast. Thanks sky, the weather were good when I stay.
Any how, these were not big impact on me. I had a good time in VIK.

Room Tip: the best ocean view rooms are on build 3,4,5. I like live in 2nd floor so that I don't need to...
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled solo
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I went there for 1 week from November 28, 2014 to December 5, 2014. I think the hotel is good and the room as everything you need. The air conditioner and fan were working excellent. Staff is very friendly and has lots of activities during the day. However, the night shows were not that good and quite boring.
Also the hotel does not have free WiFi that is a big minus for someone who wants to stay in touch with their family on vacation.
The food in the buffet was OK. The Italian restaurant was very good and food was very fresh. The mexican restaurant was average. They also have a seafood restaurant but you have to pay extra to go there.
Overall I think it is a good hotel that is worth it's price.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled solo

Been to VIK Hotel Arena Blanca? Share your experiences!