“Time to maintain this hotel and renovate” 3 of 5 stars
Review of VIK Hotel Arena Blanca

You added VIK Hotel Arena Blanca to your Saves list
VIK Hotel Arena Blanca
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   White Sand, carretera Arena Gorda | Bávaro, Punta Cana 290217, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #74 of 101 Hotels in Punta Cana
Sicklerville, New Jersey
“Time to maintain this hotel and renovate”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

My wife and I just came back last week from Punta Cana, where we stayed at this hotel. This was our fourth trip to Punta Cana and this would have to be the lowest quality hotel to stay of the four. First let me note, the good parts of the hotel stay, the beach, the pool, and our compliments to the person making the breads and the desserts. This hotel, I believe to be one of the first hotels built on the island (over 15 years ago), but so far have only renovated a few of the rooms. Being a very hot climate, the air conditioning works harder and units should be replaced on a regular schedule,not when they are broken. In talking with a large group of people who came in on our flight, who had 5 rooms, 3 of the rooms air conditioning didn't work at all. My question why would you put people in rooms where you know the air conditioning doesn't work. We were fortunate to have a great desk clerk, Junior, who found us a room in Bldg 5 (not renovated, but air worked) that had both a garden view and a view of the ocean. To me this was the best location you could be on the resort, since it was near the pool and the beach. It also was close to the bar and the lunch restaurant (great french fries), a nice place to sit, have lunch, nice breeze with a view of the ocean. The rooms were well cleaned each day, but the odor left behind is either bleach or ammonia, which is not pleasant. The rooms have a small fridge stocked with water and soda. Another problem with this resort, you can't get ice or have iced tea. The buffets are ok and sometimes you can find things that are to your liking, but it can be hard some nights. The beef they serve here and other resorts on the island is usually pretty tough. We found the pork, the chicken, some fish were your best bets for dinner. We only went to one of the specialty restaurants, the Italian, where the service is terrible, one hour fo get our meals and they brought my wife the wrong food, but no apology. The problem here it seems, not enough staff to take orders and to make the food. I didn't try their other ala carte restaurant (international), since I heard from other people to stay out of there also. By the way, none of these speciality restaurants are air conditioned. The only place you will find air conditioning is your room and that isn't very cool. If you want beach towels, go first thing in morning, otherwise you may have to go back 2 or 3 times to see if they have towels. My wife and I knew when I booked this package through Apple that this wasn't a 5 star hotel, but expected a little better quality than what is offered here, food and accomodations wise. Fortunately, we didn't pay a lot for this vacation, since we just wanted a week getaway. Next time, though I will pay the difference and stay with Melia or Iberostar for an overall better experience. This property is on Cayena Beach where there seems to be a lot of seaweed in the water. Stay on the BAvaro Beach side, with the cleaner water. Another unusual thing about this resort, on one ever comes over to you in the restaurant, pool, or beach area and offers to bring you a drink, which is a common thing for a resort in the Carribean. Also, please note, if you go to specialty restaurants, dress code only applies to men wearing long pants and collared shirt, but women can go in shorts or whatever they want.

Room Tip: Try and get a renovated room. Try to get buildings 3, 4, or 5, best location
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (290)
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Chalmette, Louisiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

Just got back from seven days at Arena Blanca. Over all the trip was ok.The hotel was average can't find a lot to brag about except the beach which was very pretty.
The room was nothing to brag about. We had two double beds no lamps so lighting was poor,very small bathroom only one person at a time could fit.It was ok because we don't spend much time in room anyway.
The property was pretty a lot of flora and palm trees landscape the area. The property is not huge so you can walk and cover the property without problem,which we like don't need to cath a tram to get around. The pool is very nice big enough so you don't feel over crowded and the staff would play different water games which was nice.
The food was ok at best.For the first time in our travels we had a hard time finding something we like at the buffet .We are not picky eaters and can always find something good but this time we found it difficult. There is an Italian and Mexican restaurant which both are very good which we ate at instead of buffet.
The drinks where good. They serve them in small plastic cups but to save many trips to the bar we bought souvenir cups which they would fill. We drank rum and cola and instead of getting bottom shelf rum ask for Ron Bordealo in the square bottle that is the island top rum.Tip the bartenders a couple of dollars and they will take care of you.
The night life was lacking.They would put on a show each night usually a dance routine that would last about an hour or so then after that not much else to do. No bands or anything.If you like to stay out late and listen to music and meet people which we like to do then this might not be the place for you.The resort is more laid back and relaxing which is not a bad thing but is not a party place.
Save the best for last the beach. Very pretty white soft sand with pretty water.There was a lot of huts on the beach to get out of the sun but where always taken.If you wanted to get one you would have to go out the night before or get up very very early to put your stuff out which we tought kinda sucks.
We are from the USA and found very few americans there It is mostly Europeans which is not bad for we meet and made friends with some.My point is if you are American don't expect to see a lot of other americans which at times can be a good thing.
overall we had a good time would I go back to this resort? probably not. woul I go back to the island yes but would stay on the Caribbean side because I think the water is a lot prettier

3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

Room was dirty and the service was dad ,from desk was ok,food not to bad.the only good thinks I can't said was the pool and the beach.for my next vacation to D.R I will go another place better,and make sure is 5start

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Bridgeport, Connecticut
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

The property was great (beach & pools). I went on this trip with my wife and two children. The staff upgraded our room because we had children, which was a good gesture. The upgrade consisted of an extra bed room for the children with an ocean view. The room itself was very dated. The food was good and the staff always had a smile on their face. Besides the rooms needing upgrades if I had other complaints it would be of the inclusive selection beverages. Initially when I booked the all inclusive I thought everything was included. However, there was a VERY limited amount alcohol to choose from. The last day of our stay we received a letter stating that our room was going to be fumigated, but it was not clear for what.

Room Tip: The corner suites have two bedrooms, which we were upgraded to.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

Everything about this resort was just okay or less EXCEPT for the beach/pool.

CONS:

-Poor customer service.
-Sexual harassment (went by myself but wore an "engagement ring" and I still got hit on by staffers (front desk, bar tenders, activities staff). It was to the point that I would be blatantly rude and top a conversation/contact from happening.
-Outdated rooms/furnishings. Couldn't adjust the a/c. Fridge never got really cold. Small TV. Didn't feel clean.
-Poor room service. The housekeeper "cleaned" my room in less than 10 minutes, did not give me water one day, did not give me washcloths one day, took two hours from calling the front desk to get towels another day, were irregular with hours that they cleaned the room (one day it was well after noon and another it was like 9am!).
-Hours of food establishments/restaurants were terrible. For an all inclusive I felt hungry way too much.
-Food/choices were not good. I did not have ANY authentic Dominican cuisine while on the property unless it is hotdogs and hamburgers, Italian, and Mexican??????????????
-Drinks were not strong or good besides those in the lobby.
-Never found an ice machine.
-Never found the casino which per the lobby opened at either 6:30pm or 7:00 pm???
-People were transferring to other hotels because it was so dead.
-DO NOT TAKE THE FREE SOUEVINR transfer. They take you to 1 shop in a slum market and the staff was all over me trying to push me to buy stuff. What I did buy was overpriced... MORE THAN THE MINIMARKET ON THE PROPERTY!!!!! This was like by three/five dollars more on certain items.Everything about this resort was just okay or less EXCEPT for the beach/pool.

CONS:

-Poor customer service.
-Drinks were not strong or good besides those in the lobby.
-Never found an ice machine.
-People were transferring to other hotels because it was so dead.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
VHAB, Director de Relaciones Públicas at VIK Hotel Arena Blanca, responded to this review, July 24, 2014
Dear client,

Thank you for selecting our Vik hotel Arena Blanca as your vacation destination and more important, for letting us know about your vacation experience,our guest’s comments are very important because they help us to improve our quality services, we appreciate your contribution in this regard.
Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience that you mentioned happened during your stay with us, especially for the wrong attitude with some of our employees.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014

The hotel was average. If you are a hotel "snob" like I am, the room is very average. I took my family of 5 down to Punta Cana for a family vacation. I have 2 teen agers and a 10 year old. We booked an All-Inclusive 7 day vacation and it was mostly good. They loved the pool and didn't mind the food at the Italian and Mexican restaurants. The International restaurant wasn't spectacular. The breakfast was decent and Leonardo (omelet chef who fist bumps the tourists) was awesome. Alvaro, restaurant waiter, was amazing too. The service, by far, is the highlight of the resort amenities.
The hotel location to the beach is excellent. We stayed in Building 5 and it is literally 60 feet to the beach, if that. If you stay at the Iberostar (nice hotel) you have a 3 - 4 minute walk from your room to the beach/ocean. Granted the hotel is probably nicer but the convenience to the beach is absent, if you are a beach bum.
I requested two beds in the TWO rooms that we reserved due to the size of our family. When we arrived, there was 2 beds in one room and 1 king bed in the other. I had to go to the front desk to get another bed set up. No problem, though, as they made a phone call and one was set up in a matter of 15 minutes or so.
The entertainment was decent. They had a live band one night (meringue or mariachi type band), a DJ one night playing 70's and 80's music, and a Michael Jackson tribute show (which we missed but others said was really good). The pool side entertainment was fun as well. Overall, the resort people/entertainers worked hard to make sure that everyone was having fun.
Will I go again, probably not, as I want to visit other places. But if you are considering it, I would recommend going because the entertainment and beach/ocean are worth the price. It is a great value for a tropical vacation.
Oh and last but not least, I recommend going on an excursion with Punta Cana Mike (www.puntacanamike.com) it is a trip into the country to visit the lifestyle of the Dominican, as well as the cigar, chocolate, and rum factories. He gives a great tour and the experience is worth the price.

Room Tip: Building 5 is the best for location to the beach.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Dear client,

Thank you so much for having preferred our Vik hotel Arena Blanca for the enjoyment of your holidays! Also, for sharing with us thru tripadvisor your vacation experience! We are glad to know that enjoyed your stay with us and especially the service and attention provided by our staff.
Thank you for visiting us!

Cordially,
San Juan, Puerto Rico
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

I'm not really an unfair person, but I need to tell that the service was bad (4 stars according with the Hotel) not really! that fourth star was taken from another Hotel. Service is bad, the looby employees are all but helpfull, the food was ok (but the restaurants were poor ventilated and cheap) , but the room service is non available, and also they almost try every single day to sell you a membership for the hotel(without a good service). I know that you think maybe this guy is a little hard to please, but if you are reading this; that means you are looking for the truth about this hotel ; well the truth is DON'T DO IT!!!!!!!! if you are looking for something nice and with good service overall

Room Tip: Book the supreme rooms, but dont expect 4 stars rooms
Dear guest,

We appreciate for taking of your time to write this review regarding your stay in our Vik hotel Arena Blanca!
We deeply regret that our hotel was not what you expected. We always take seriously our guest’s comments to improve our services, thank you for your contribution in this regard.

VIK hotel Arena Blanca

Been to VIK Hotel Arena Blanca? Share your experiences!