“Wonderful resort; good value for the money” 4 of 5 stars
Review of VIK Hotel Arena Blanca

Save Saved
You added VIK Hotel Arena Blanca to your Saves list
VIK Hotel Arena Blanca
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   White Sand, carretera Arena Gorda | Bávaro, Punta Cana 290217, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #71 of 101 Hotels in Punta Cana
Montreal, QC
“Wonderful resort; good value for the money”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

I stayed at the VIK Arena Blanca with my family of 4, and travelled with another family of 4. Age ranges for the kids were 4-7 years old. Taking the resort, cost and experience as a whole, I would return with my family.

We were able to book a great deal for this resort and so with that in mind, I would recommend it to anyone. There were hiccups with several things (service can be spotty, Kids Club was iffy, etc), but the beach was absolutely beautiful, the food was fine, and our rooms were good too (we stayed in Building 4 - a renovated building).

GOOD BITS:
1 - Beach.... sigh. Absolutely gorgeous. Minimal seaweed, and just enough waves for the little ones to boogie board. Quite a bit of lounge chairs and palapas to go around. We did, however, have to drop our towels under a palapa before 8am to get one of the better spots in the front (again, travelling with young kids....). Side note: The VIK arguably has the best bit of beach for a long stretch. On our walks, we passed other resorts that had their beachfront almost completely washed away, which created a steep "hill" for guests.

2 - The Mexican restaurant (night) has the best staff and service. We visited three times, always had great meals and service, and we were recognized by members of that staff throughout the day at other parts of the resort (yes, they work long days).

3- Breakfast and lunch: For breakfast, only the buffet is open, but that is fine, as you can always find something good to eat. They change things up every day, but there are always eggs to order, pancakes, crepes, etc. We had some spotty service at breakfast to get some coffee/utensils, but usually we were taken care of. For lunch, there is a restaurant right by the pool/beach and you can eat at the buffet inside (got real boring after a couple of days: pasta, salad or panini press), but there are also pizzas, fries, burgers, hotdogs and chicken in a little snack shack attached to the lunch buffet. You can also eat at the main buffet.

4 - Photography with animals: My kids went nuts for this one. The hotel has a professional photographer on site and he brings along different animals on specific days (monkey, parrots, iguana, snake). The cost is 10$ US per picture on a disk, but if you buy several, they can make you a package deal.

5 - We booked an excursion with Hola Tours for a trip to Saona Island. To start, we took a bus ride for about 1+ hours or so, but with a guide who spoke fluent English. We then took a catamaran to a national park on a shallow beach with starfish (neat!), and then on to Saona Island. We got back to land via speed boat (the kids loved this). It was a full day trip. We left the hotel at 7:30 am, and we were back around 5pm. The Hola Tours rep, Anne, was very friendly and informative and speaks 5 languages fluently!

IFFY BITS:
1 - The Italian restaurant had some of the the slowest and inattentive service I have ever experienced. We went twice; the first time at 6:30 pm, when it was relatively busy. The second time, we went at 7pm, when it was much busier.... It took 7 requests over 45 minutes (!!) to get a basket of 4 bread buns for the table (remember, we were a group of 8, travelling with 4 children under 8 - and they were hungry). The appetizers were good, the pasta dishes were fine, but we found the meat dishes to be thin and tough. It took well over an hour to get our food for the table.

2 - The free wifi in the lobby is spotty. Is that the end of the world? For us, not really, as we just wanted to check in at home once a day or so. For guests who HAVE to have Internet, this must be quite annoying. We just ordered another round of drinks, and kept trying until we were able to get on.... not the end of the world. There is, however, an Internet computer room, and you could pay for access.

3 - Animation: Well, the animation staff was on-site and doing different activities all day (by the pool with music, they also had archery, dance lessons, etc etc.) If you like to be kept busy on vacation, they was plenty of opportunity. I just wanted the beach during the day, so didn't partake, but you see the animation staff everywhere. There is a main show every night at 9:30 pm; some were entertaining, others not so much. A Kids Club employee held a Mini Disco for the kids on the theater stage every night (8:30pm), where they danced to choreographed moves. The kids enjoyed it. We didn't use the Kids Club during the day, as we wanted to keep the kids with us. The Kids Club is closed in the evening (although it would have been nice to have open hours at night, so the adults could get 1 or 2 romantic dinners...).

4 - The beds were not super comfortable, but passable. There are no elastics for the bottom bed sheets, so you do sometimes wake up in the morning with the bottom bed sheet all tangled up. Didn't like that at all.

5- Not all the staff spoke English, but we are in their country, so we did our best with our limited Spanish and many hand gestures to get our point across. Regardless, the staff all tried their best, and we were most often greeted with a smile wherever we would go. I have to agree with other reviewers that the check in staff were not very friendly or welcoming (didn't like that either!)

6 - Pool: There is only one for the whole resort, but it was big enough and never seemed overcrowded. There is no water bar in the pool. The pool was cleaned every morning, it seemed, but it is showing its wear.

BAD BITS:
1- The house wine (red and white) is awful. Truly. You can order bottles from a wine menu ($$$$), but I actually also saw guests bringing in their own wine bottles to the restaurants... something to think about if you are a big wine drinker but don't want to pay 30-45$ a bottle.

2 - The Punta Cana airport (PUJ) is a bit of a mad house. We flew with WestJet (love them), and our tourist cards and departure fees were included in the flight price (would have been 120$ for our family of 4 otherwise). Be prepared to wait in long lines upon arrival, and a long line at security upon departure.

3 - There are sellers ON the resort grounds that ask you to visit the bordering property, VIK Hotel Cayena Club. It is basically a timeshare/membership pitch. We were not interested, but they are there every day regardless. There are also a lot of sellers walking up and down the beach (cigars, jewelry, sunglasses, parasailing, etc), and they are not overly intrusive, but they are definitely there. There is a flea market south of the beach and it was so-so, but to the north, there is another market with many stalls and as long as you are willing to haggle, haggle, haggle, you can get good deals. I bought a mini-boogie board in the resort shop for 15$, only to find I could get an identical one at this market for 5$. I also got a bottle of Brugal rum for 11$, and two 1lb bags of coffee for 10$. They also had many other trinkets, artwork, souvenirs, alcohol, etc.

TIPS:
1 - Yes, I would suggest you lock up your luggage and anything important in your safe whenever you leave your room (the cost to rent a safe lock is 2$ US a day and well worth the added expense. Make sure to ask for this lock at check in, so you can have it for your passports, etc right away). Do I think the maids filter through your things and steal every chance they get? No, but you are travelling -- so be smart and lock up your belongings. I would suggest this anytime you travel.

2 - If you like your drinks cold (my husband was drinking beer on the beach), absolutely bring a drink cooler (ex. Bubba Keg). It is the only way to keep your drinks cool. With the plastic cups provided at the bars, drinks get hot in a matter of minutes, but you are in the Caribbean, so.....

3 - There is a money exchange on site, just across from the lobby. We exchanged our money before we left home, so I cannot attest to the rates.

4 - If you need a morning jolt of caffeine like I do, the main lobby has two coffee machines with many different selections. I would go out of my way several times a day to get this coffee (soo good). Bad side: I was there around 7:30am on two occasions, and the machines were closed. I am not sure when they are supposed to officially open, because on other days they were open at 7:30.

5 - If you or your children are prone to ear/eye infections, do yourself a favour and pack some Burosol and/or Polysporin drops - and make your kids wear goggles in the pool. Two of the 4 kids in our group got double ear infections and eye infections. I can't say if that was caused from the ocean or the pool, but it is better to be careful!

I've stayed in all-inclusives in Mexico, Dominican Republic and Cuba, ranging from 3.5 to 5 stars. The VIK Arena is noted as a 4-star, and I would say it fits that description. As long as you have reasonable expectations and you can book this at a good rate, then I would recommend to anyone.

Room Tip: Buildings 4 and 5 are the renovated buildings. Building 5 is closest to the beach.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
VHAB, Public Relations Manager at VIK Hotel Arena Blanca, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Dear client,

As a service oriented company, we highly appreciate our guest’s opinion and therefore we recognize the value of taking your time to let us know about your experience. We continuously work for improve the quality of our services.

It delighted us to know that you enjoyed your holidays with us!

Please, accept our apologies for the slowness and wrong attitude that some of our staff could have assisting you, as you mentioned happened in your comment.

We hope to see you for one more time here, in a near future!

Vik hotel Arena Blanca

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (259)
  • Polish first
toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

Hi all,
Stayed at Vik Arena Blanca(via Nolitours / Air Transat) for 14 days with my wife and daughter during 17 - 31 Jan 2013.

FLIGHT
Flew with Air Transat - we were in a newer Airbus 330(now my preferred plane) + tourist VISA and departure fees were already included. We were taken to Ocean Blue(looked impressive from entrance) to drop off a few people and then dropped off at VIK Arena Blanca. Initially, my family and I were saddened by the look of the hotel but I had researched on trip advisor and knew it was not an Iberostar. Check in was straight-forward and we stayed in a renovated room in Block 4(4228) with a garden view.

ACCOMODATIONS
Our room had 2 firm double beds, plasma TV(surprising amount of movie channels in various languages) and waterfall shower. We came knowing that we wouldn't be spending too much time in the room(other than showering, sleeping and a bit of TV before bed) but be warned... The pillows are less than ideal - felt like it was filled with randomly sized cotton balls.

CLEANING
Our maid for the first 11 days provided excellent service and we tipped a $1 per day. The second maid was ok but noticed that the used towels were placed back like new and one of the pillows stunk(subsequently thrown to the floor with extreme prejudice :P ). TIP - If you're running out of sunscreen near the end of your trip, simply ask the housecleaning personnel if they have any half empty ones left by others - a much better option than paying $30 for a new one at the hotel mini market.

FOOD
The main buffet - found the lunch/dinner fish dishes overly salted and the beef tough during the first week (salt drastically reduced and beef tenderized the following week). Had a fantastic veal stew but it never reappeared the following week. Prosciutto was great. Breakfast had all bases covered and then some(stewed chicken wings went well with my eggs and bacon :P ). I love rice and allergic to shrimp and crab so this menu worked well for me(My wife and daughter were also happy with the choices ~ especially the desserts.

A la Cartes
Mexican (family unimpressed)
Italian (hit with the family)
Estrella del Mar (family unimpressed)
Our tour guide mentioned that they were relaxed about men wearing long shorts but had issues with one specific hostess that was adamant about pants. Bring a pair of pants just incase(men only). To minimize unnecessary annoyances, management needs to pick and consistently enforce their rules.

Pool Snack Bar(lunch)
Pizza, Burgers, Hotdogs, fries, salad bar, rice and sometimes Chicken. Yes the burger patties and hotdogs sit in a bath of oil/water but I assume this is done to keep it from drying out - they tasted fine to me. Chicken was a great hit and the pizza guy is friendly and willing to make custom pizzas for you.

BARS
5 bars in total(including the club bar) spread out efficiently throughout the resort. Lobby bar has 2 great automatic coffee makers(everything from regular coffee to americanos and carmel cappucinos).
Bartenders
For the most part a great group of workers that make your drinks without issue and smiles.
Drinks
Pretty weak beer and beach cocktails(but probably better this way to avoid having obnoxious drunks everywhere). I started the vacation off with a 34 oz bubba keg perpetually filled with beer. Stopped this on day 4 and preferred the occasional walk over to a bar to sample a variety of drinks. Simply say "fuerte" when desiring a stronger drink. Noticed the busboys worked incredibly hard day and night.

THE BEACH
Arguably one of the best stretches of white sand beach in punta cana(and has two great palm trees for photo ops). Fish are abundant just steps into the water but unnoticeable until you throw a bit of bread around. One concern of mine was the discovery of debris under the sand(in the water) - tried scraping the ground for sea shells but always found small pieces of asphalt/tar that occasionally stained my fingers - I stopped doing this shortly thereafter... - though this probably occurs in every beach around the world.

ANIMATION TEAM(s)
On previous trips at larger resorts we would rarely interact with the animation team but VIK Arena Blanca opened our eyes to fun-filled days of activities and games. After settling in a few days at the resort, I got acquainted with most of them and it snowballed into a thing of beauty. Special shout outs for Antony, Angelina, Sophia and Fabrice - Always friendly, funny and asking if we wanted to be part of the various activities. Darlyn has a great stage presense and really knows how to hype up a crowd. Yes it's true that there is an animation team specifically catering to French tourists(Lookea) but "luckily" my wife is french and my daughter and I understand the language(yay for french immersion). Would be great if there was an english/(insert other languages here) version with trivia games and dancing(but realize this would be horribly slow paced with all the necessary translations). The evening beach party is a must!(weather permitting).

GENERAL STAFF
Checkout guy that provides foosball and pingpong gear is great! Always had a smile and had some good laughs with him. Lobby musician is also talented and always jamming out. Someone previously mentioned he doesn't even play but that's just ignorant - he layers rhythm tracks and plays main melodies overtop. Check-in desk personnel helped my daughter out by finding a ruler and pencil for her homework. Grounds keepers always had smiles and offered to supply fresh coconuts to everyone.

THE VACATIONERS
Wow - never met another group of amazing people(young and old) from all over the world(Argentina, France, Canada, US, Germany, Italy and more). Our experiences/friendship made during our trip will stay with us forever.

ATTITUDE
I woke up everyday with a smile(who can't with such a beautiful beach and warm weather) and greeted everyone I passed. I firmly believe that this attitude has a transformative effect that brings out the best in everyone. A simple thanks and an effort to speak various languages goes a long way too!

ISSUES
Time share people can get annoying and a few are pretty shady characters... a simple and firm "No" to each of them will leave you some peace but they rotate new personnel every now and then. Pregnant waitress in the lobby should really be on maternity leave (too smoky and generally unhappy- I can't blame her for that). Staff should have access to simply reboot the router instead of saying it's working or having to wait for someone to arrive in a few hours. Not really an issue but get a safe for the duration of your stay and be smart about it(money, valuables and cherished items).... (though we left our smartphones charging in plain sight everyday without issue). Would not recommend Saona excursion unless it's to a remote beach with only a few other boats!(less than 3). If you didn't pay for a specific room type, don't expect an upgrade.

IN SUMMARY
I would recommend this resort to people that are ok with fairly basic amenities (it's no cosmopolitan hotel) and don't expect the world in a massive complex. Bring a smile and a great attitude and everything should fall nicely into place.

Domingo

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Dear customer,

We would like to thank you for your preference in selecting our Vik hotel Arena Blanca for your vacations, as well for letting us know about your recent visit; In our effort to continuously improve the quality of our services and facilities, we put our greatest interest and value in our guest’s opinion. We are grateful for your positive opinion about our animation team and our beach.
We checked and evaluated all mentioned in your comment with each department involved regarding the pillows and drinks, your opinion have taken seriously.
We hope to see you in the future for one more time in our Vik hotel Arena Blanca!

4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013 via mobile

We stayed for two weeks last June. We came from England and went all inclusive I will admit some of the food wasn't to our liking but we never went hungry. We just had the stuff made fresh for us in the main buffet room. We also ate at the restaurant. In the day we ate freshly made pizza and toasties we made ourselves in the bar closest to the beach. We read some if the reviews before we went and to be honest we were pleasantly surprised. Our room was lovely the air con we couldn't quite figure out but hey we're from England not much need for that where were from. The staff we found really friendly and also the entertainment team made sure everyone was made to feel welcome. We met lots of really nice people from all over the world. All in all it's one of the best holidays we've ever had. If you want to find fault with the tiny things then your not going to enjoy your self. If however you enjoy sunshine, amazing beaches, friendly people and getting away from it all and relaxing then this is the place for you

• Stayed June 2012
Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing with us on trip advisor your kind opinion regarding the holidays you spend in our Vik hotel Arena Blanca!
We are so happy to know that you enjoyed your stay with us; this is our principal target that, our guests spend a good time with us.
It will be an honor to welcome you here for once again; repeater guests are very especial for us.

Orangeville, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

I thought i had seen the worst that was on till I went to to this place,

our worst hotel's are better then this place. The bed's was a box spring, the food you couldn't eat except for the fries' that was the only thing I ate this week, the beer was warm and to top it off, if you don't lock up your stuff it WILL GET STOLEN and the hotel really don't care we tried to make a complaint and they told us that we should of locked it up. The very first day we put a do not disturb sign but they still felt the need to come in and help them selves to my wife's ear rings. So to be completely honest the only good thing about this place was LEAVING!!!! The staff is very unfriendly and don't speak one bit of english so you better learn to speak French or Spanish.

And one more thing if you don't like sleeping with bug's then this is one more reason not to go.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
VHAB, Public Relations Manager at VIK Hotel Arena Blanca, responded to this review, February 7, 2013
Dear client,

Thank you for selecting our VIK hotel Arena Blanca for your holiday!

As we stated in our response to your wife’s comments: As a policy, upon check in, we advice our guests to rent the safe deposit box and put all their valuable things inside. In case that a guest makes a report of missing valuables in the room, the following procedure must take place: We go with the security supervisor, the guest service and the guest to the room and search the entire room for the alleged mislaid item; in your case, unfortunately, you didn’t allow us to follow thru with the search.

Orangeville, Ontario, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

To say the least I would never step foot on the resort again.... I am not one to complain but I would like to make sure that know one has to experience this. This resort is rated as a four star and defiantly is NOT. Bugs in the room, the bed felt like you were sleeping on a box spring, food was horrible, beer was warm, my earrings got stolen from my night stand when we had a do not disturb sign on the door (the whole time we were there). I highly recommended that you pick another resort.

Dear client,

Thank you for selecting our VIK hotel Arena Blanca for your holiday!
We regret your commented experience in our hotel prevented you from enjoying your vacations in our resort. As a policy, upon check in, we advice our guests to rent the safe deposit box and put all their valuable things inside. In case that a guest makes a report of missing valuables in the room, The following procedure must take place: We go with the security supervisor, the guest service and the guest to the room and search the entire room for the alleged mislaid item; in your case, unfortunately, you didn’t allow us to follow thru with the search.

Grand Rapids
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013 via mobile

I would return to this place primarily because of the staff! They are terrific! The food lacked in quality and taste but the location, beach, and staff made up for that! I love this place and I'm sad that it doesn't have more stars!!!

• Stayed January 2013
Dear guest,

We would like to thank you for having preferred our VIK Hotel Arena Blanca for the enjoyment of your holidays.

We are grateful for your positive opinion about our beach and the staff. We are always happy to know all our guests’ opinion, because this is the way for us to improve our service quality and grow, giving to our visitors the great services and attentions as we are a company oriented to get the total satisfaction of all our clients. Every day we do our best to get this target.
Once again, thank you for your comments and we hope to see you here soon!

Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

We just returned from a week at the Vik Hotel Arena Blanca. Despite the fact it rained 5 of the 7 days we were there, we had an amazing time. The staff at the resort were friendly and the service was top quality. The resort offered 3 a la carte restaurants, however we ate at the buffet every day. The food (particularly the noodle soup) was good and there was always lots of choose. We didn't attend the shows or the disco, so have no comment, other than when we passed by the show, there always seemed to be a lot of people watching. WIFI in the main lobby is a little slow, although I suspect that this is the case in most places in the DR. The hotel is older that others we saw, but for the money it is well worth it. It is clean and in good repair. We will definitely go back.

Room Tip: If available, try for block 4, the renovated rooms. All of the rooms we saw were very clean, but th...
Dear client,

We are so grateful for your preference in our VIK Hotel Arena Blanca and for your positive comments about our hotel!

It delighted us to know that you enjoy your stay with us; we love to do our best to satisfy all our clients’ needs, this is our main target. We are looking forward to see you here soon for one more time!

VIK hotel Arena Blanca

Been to VIK Hotel Arena Blanca? Share your experiences!