“Beware-security guards” 3 of 5 stars
Review of IFA Villas Bavaro Resort & Spa

Save Saved
You added IFA Villas Bavaro Resort & Spa to your Saves list
IFA Villas Bavaro Resort & Spa
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playas de Bavaro, Punta Cana 51101, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #58 of 100 Hotels in Punta Cana
ontario
“Beware-security guards”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2011

This is 3.5-4 star resort. Dinning areas ARE NOT airconditioned. Food is ok... just ok. I have been to 5 start resorts before and the food can not compare. You will find something to eat to fill you up... It won't be quality... Rooms are clean and brand new. Mattresses are very hard... Its almost like you are laying on the cement floor. STAFF... Be very carefeul of security guards.... I went with my girlfriends and on our way back to our rooms at night, security guards were telling us to jump in the pool and take our tops off. They were hoping we were drunk. It is prohibited to go into the pool after 7pm and they were placed there to make sure that does not happen...or that it does. We spoke to other guest at the resort and they said they had the same experience. We complained at the reception and no one seemed to care. This is very disturbing. I wrote a complaint directly to the hotel and no one got back to me. I just want to be clear. It was not one security guard.. It was 90% of them. The more disturbing thing is they were all in their 50's and 60's. I would not recommend this hotel due to lack of proffessionalism. I thought security was there to protect us... not attack us?? Also... this hotel will allow escorts to stay on the resort with the guests. distrbing to see. Young Dominican girls.. not sure even if they were legal with men from US/Europe in their late 50's and 60's.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (263)
  • Polish first
toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2011

I have just come back from this resort. They have an enormous animation team. It is about 20 dancers, plus live band, plus entertainers (Jackson Fantastic Bombastic Barak Obama is awesome). If you look for a merry time and laughter, I strongly recommend you IFA Villas Bavaro Resort &Spa. The staff is very friendly, the food is good. Great value for your money.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2011

I traveled to IFA Villas with a group of friends the week of February 18th. I have been lucky enough to have been to a large variety of resorts so I went into this vacation with a lot of to compare it to. Prior to this trip I was scepticle of going because of all the poor reviews I had read. I can now say the majority of these reviews were true. I will break down some of the pros and cons that I felt were most significant of the trip...

Food- Food was not very good at all, especially the buffet. There were always things you could resort to (omellete bar at breakfast and pasta bar at lunch and dinner) that were always no fail. However if your looking for variety there is not much. The a la cartes were great however, lots to choose from on the menus. The sushi at the Japenese restaurant was surprisingly great! Pizzaria is GREAT. such yummy snack foods.

Beach- AMAZING! By far the best part of this resort. Sand and water was great. An earlier reviewer complained about the seaweed however I didn't find that a problem at all. Yes there are roped off areas were we could swim but they were large and not restricting at all. The bar closest to the beach isn't the most convenient, not a far walk by any means, just not right there for you like most resorts. Earlier reviewers talk a lot about the distance to the beach from their rooms... it all depends where your room is. Yes- some rooms are quite the trek so make sure you figure all this out at check in.

Pools- also great, hard to get spots unless your there early in the morning so keep that in mind.

Service- language barrier is brutal. Unless you know Spanish or French be prepared for some frustrating communication. Service from the staff was average, not overly friendly or outgoing, but they did their jobs. Maids always did a good job cleaning the rooms, servers at the buffets always varied... sometime we would have rally enthusiastic and happy servers, other times we had quiet and not so outgoing.

disco/nightife- disco was really really fun! DJs played great music, not hard to get drinks at the bar, and dance floor was always busy. There were usually locals hanging around which kinda creeped us out.

As I said earlier, it wasnt bad, but wasn't great. I'm sure there are better resorts out there for the same amount of money I spent. I had a great time, was with great company, and the weather was AMAZING, I just wouldnt go back to that resort.

• Stayed February 2011
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2011

The resort itself is beautifully renovated. I dont think you could ask for a nicer resort itself, especially for the money. The food in the buffet was nothing to really write home about, but there were plenty of options always available, so you could always find something that you liked. The a-la-carts were a lot better, with a really good selection and really great service. The little pizza snack bar was fantastic and was always a great option to get a snack during the day. The rooms themselves were beautiful. Nicely renovated, but not a ton of privacy. If you are going with your friends, I would recommend that you be close with them, haha. There is a glass wall in the shower, which while isn't clear.. you can still clearly see the outline of the person in the shower when you are in the bedroom section of the room. The staff were friendly and helpful. The beach was the only place that I would caution people against. It was my first time in the Dominican so maybe its a problem in other places than just the IFAs section of the beach, but there is a lot of seaweed both in the water and on the beach. The sand was great and there were plenty of beach chairs. There are a ton of boats that are constantly around the beach area and the swimmers have to swim in a smaller sectioned off area to not get hit by the boats. We were guessing that the reason why there was so much seaweed is because of the boats maybe churning it all up. We did have a really great time and I don't think you could ask for a much better value for the quality of the resort itself. I really doubt that you can find better for the money. I would go back, it was clean, friendly, good food, big and beautifully renovated and new.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
PEI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2011

After reading some of the reviews on here I was nervous about this resort. I am slightly picky on what I eat but there were absolutely no problems with food at this resort or anything else for that matter.

Check in staff were friendly upon our arrival. The trolley picked us up and took us to our villa. Yes, it is a walk but in the evening when the stars are out and it is warm and you are walking with your husband it is very beautiful. If you aren't in a hurry the trolley will take you wherever you want to go.

The food was fantastic; we ate at the Mexican and the Oriental and the food was phenomonal. Not sure what other people were complaining about. Pizza at the Picalo was very good. The buffet was just as good. The staff were warm and friendly and always willing to help. The beach was fantastic as was the water. I would return here in a heartbeat; I loved this place.

Our room was always clean with fresh towels every day and the water replenished every day as well.

Not sure what else to tell you. The place and staff are fantastic and we would return in a minute and we would recommend this place to our friends. If you go with the right attitude and remember that you aren't in Canada you will have a fantastic time!!!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2011

We went in May 2008. (sorry for the late review)
Rooms were really nice, clean, spacious, nice bathroom with shower.
Beach was gorgeous. Pools were really nice.
Food was amaaaaazing! So much to choose from, great having so many restaurants, and brill pizza always available, would be easy to put on weight!!
Only down side was atmosphere at night, was nothing going on at all, drinks (vodka) were so strong I couldn't drink them, had to get a glass of orange to mix it with again!
We did a trip every day, it was amazing! Quad biking twice - swam in a cave as part of it, swam with sharks and sting rays, drove speed boats, boat trip - snorkalled, parasailed.
We did have a wonderfull time, would love to do it all over again, weather was perfect - boiling hot, rained once at night and soon after you would never know it rained.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Jersey City, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2011

The resort itself is beautiful. The pools and beaches are gorgeous and if you are looking to go and have a relaxing vacation, its worth it for the price, especially if you are on a budget.

Food: Not all that much to choose from if you are used to American food; I suggest the Pikalo Pizza Bar. DO not go to Calibre. We made reservations for Valentine's Day (@ 8:00am) be there early. It was disgusting.

Entertainment: Shows at 10:00pm and we never found the disco, but we did like both the coffee bar and margarita bars.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to IFA Villas Bavaro Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!