“bad food” 2 of 5 stars
Review of IFA Villas Bavaro Resort & Spa

Save Saved
You added IFA Villas Bavaro Resort & Spa to your Saves list
IFA Villas Bavaro Resort & Spa
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playas de Bavaro, Punta Cana 51101, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #54 of 100 hotels in Punta Cana
Loughborough
“bad food”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

This was the worst holiday food I have ever seen and I've travelled extensively at least twice a year. I was sick for 11 days and lost half a stone. I felt like I was having a nightmare.The worst service!! Resort itself could be nice with a menu overhaul and staff who look like they want to be there and want to work. We all work hard to pay for our holidays and this is not what I expect.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Low Cost Holidays

2,319 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (243)
  • Polish first
Indianapolis, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

I was so nervous about staying at this resort because of the previous reviews I read; but to my surprise our stay was wonderful. The rooms were what I expected them to be by the reading of the other reviews so I didn't expect any type of 5 star resort. It was a nice resort for the amount of time we stayed. The beds were hard but since I read that it was exactly what I can imaged so it wasn't a disappointment to me. I was able to get some sleep. With that said, the resort itself was beautiful. The lay out was night and family friendly. I enjoyed the fact that it was an all-inclusive trip that included an variety of choices outside of the main buffet. The only negative was trying to get up early every morning to make reservations. Again, that is what I had expected to do because of the previous reviews I read. The pizza place was great! It was definitely our go to place to eat and get something to drink. The club and nightly entertainment was an added plus to the stay. The beach was amazing and offered several free things to do if you choose to. All I can say was that me and my friends had a wonderful time and thankfully none of us got sick. Kudos to the wonderful staff that we encountered during our stay. We will be back to the D.R. soon.

Room Tip: Up grade to the most renovated rooms and tipping is a must b/c you will receive great service with a...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

After finding out I would be traveling to this resort I immediately got online to check out other travelers' reviews. Many of the comments were true. I traveled with a group of 45 others and many of the experiences were undesirable. Check-in was horrible. The check-in staff were very unfriendly, unless you were a local. We were to have a representative to greet our group and we never met him/her. Our group leader spent from the time we arrived until half of the third day helping other travelers in our group with their room situations or other concerns and still the staff treated you as if you did something wrong. Many were disappointed staying in the bungalows (standard room), but you had a choice to upgrade to a "superior" room for and extra $8/day/person. My family had 2 bungalows and we were pretty much satisfied because they are on the quieter side of the resort. One day shower water was cold and couple days had to run down housekeeping to get rooms cleaned. Food and Drinks: I didn't enjoy the buffet...same choices everyday for every meal and birds flying around the food and around me. It's an enclosed building without windows and a door. The only food we enjoyed was the pizza and French fries.(Pikale) and that's all my 3 year old grandson was really able to eat for 6 days. You paid extra for top shelf liquor. I read others comments they had to stand in line early in the morning to make reservations for some of the restaurants...we didn't have any trouble getting into our chosen restaurant with making reservations later in the day, but the food wasn't very tasty at all (Italian restaurant...the name escapes me. Pools: One (quiet) by the bungalows and the other (noisy) by the hotel rooms. Beach is a 5-10 minute walk but carts come around frequently to drive you to the beach.

So all in all I would never visit this resort or Punta Cana again. In my experience the people we came in contact with were very unfriendly and the food is much to be desired. If it wasn't for other family members being with me I would have had a horrible time.

Please no reply from a representative from management is necessary. There seems to be an abundance of traveler comments about the above mentioned from years back and these issues are still happening.

Room Tip: Rooms by the bungalows are quieter.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Derbyshire, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW via mobile

My husband and had grave reservations about this hotel after reading the reviews, however after arriving after a 9 hour flight and a long hot wait in the airport (to be expected so no real drama) we were pleasantly surprised and slightly relieved to check in fairly painlessly. (The couple in front had no such luck unfortunately and we're told their room wasn't ready).

Our room was located at the top of the resort in a quiet, well kept area. There were regular golf buggies taking you down to the pools, restaurants and beach but we found the walk (approx 10-15mins) ok most days even in the heat. Plenty of wildlife to keep you entertained.
Initially we thought we had struck gold, however it soon became apparent that this was not the case.
Generally the hotel is very well kept around the grounds and the beach is fab- what you'd expect really from a Caribbean island. However the real let-downs were the food, the entertainment, the pools and the staff.
There are only 3 A la carte restaurants ( not 4 as the brochure said) as the 4th one was closed in the evening but doubled as a beach buffet restaurant during the day. Generally the buffets were ok, there was a good choice of food, a pasta station and a meat station. But after 2 weeks of eating it it does become slightly repetitive.
We Would NOT recommend any of the A la carte's, very poor quality food, menu choices did not match the description at all (since when does chicken satay come with gravy??) horrible. Food was served too quick to have been freshly cooked and generally had the same taste.
My husband and I got sick within 3 days of being there and are still unwell now, despite spending a small fortune in the pharmacy. The pizza in the snack bar is very nice but again you can hardly live on it.

Both pools were very unclean, the 'lively' pool was overcrowded especially at weekends when the locals were allowed to use the facilities and seemed to get priority over international guests for everything from drinks to sun-loungers (which are bolted to the floor by the way) , the 'quiet' pool was less crowded but the water level too low to benefit from the filters and was constantly full of plastic cups and straws and felt grimy. If you can stand the smell of drains which surrounds it then it is slightly better than the other one. We tended to stick to the beach.
The evening entertainment is all in Spanish and the same every night- a well put together show of dancers from 10-11pm then it's off to the disco for more Spanish themed music ( again very repetitive after 2 weeks)
The staff speak very little English throughout the resort and tipping does not seem to help with the service. Even when our Spanish improved we were met with a grunt on more then one occasion. We waited 25 mins one eve before our (wrong) drinks arrived. Very frustrating. As a young woman it was also very intimidating to try and order a drink when the bar staff are clearly talking about you to other guests in Spanish and being very crude.
The most disappointing thing though was having our bag stolen from the pool on the first day and the staff very unwilling to help or do anything about it until it was too late. ( they kept suggesting we had 'lost' it!) very insulting and wholly unacceptable from a supposedly reputable resort. We subsequently spent the next two weeks chasing our ( very helpful) rep for the police report which we had to pay- off the police to get!
This hotel is very much of the attitude that " you can please some of the people all of the time" well I'm afraid that's just not good enough for us. We will NOT be returning and would recommend anybody hesitating about this hotel, on this occasion please do take on board the ' bad' reviews ( this is my first) and book somewhere else. Your stomach will thank you for it!

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Washington DC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

The food was horrible. The pool was so murky you couldn't see your feet in it and there were cigarette butts, empty drink cups and straws floating around in it. Its true personnel do clean the sidewalks really we'll I just never actually saw anyone cleaning the pool. The quiet pool was in such diss repair that an actual light was hanging out of the socket in the pool and there were exposed wires dangling precariuosly from an overhang above the pool. The water level was so low in the quiet pool that it didn't even reach the filters in the side if the pool. No matter the filters were all clogged with debris and brown water anyway. We couldn't even smell chorine in it for the first 5 days we were there. wifi was ridiculous. It's was extremely slow and the connection kept dropping. The beds were rock hard and the sheets were dingy and stained. The towels were stiff and grey. This is truly a budget hotel. The only way they can turn a profit is by skimping on food, drink and maintenance. We stayed at the hotel for approximately $50 dollars a day. That means that the hotel has too feed, shelter and entertain you for less than half of that in order to make payroll, expenses and still book a profit. It's a business. Do the math. Anyone who says anything other than this hotel is subpar is either delusional or a shill for the company, that being said I wouldn't say don't go. Just make sure all of your shots are up to date and plan on eating out as this place is surely a breeding ground for food and waterborne illnesses.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
LopesanHotelGroup, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at IFA Villas Bavaro Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 6 days ago
Dear Guest ,

We would like to extend our most sincere apologies for the inconveniences or difficulties you have experienced during your stay and if you felt you did not received the service you entitled to. Your comments are very important for us and help us to see the points we need to emphasize and improve.

I would like to welcome you again at our Hotel to experience the hospitality of our people, the quality of our services and facilities and change any negative perception you have about us.

Best regards,
IFA Villas Bávaro Resort & Spa
Sao Caetano do Sul, SP
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

* In the time that movement in tourist arrivals, there was only one employee to check in, answer telephones and other services.
* We were barely greeted it did not explain the operation of the Hotel with respect to time, do not put the ID bracelet.
* Apartment there was no hot water for showering, we would complain they did not give any attention, just wrote down the room number and did not answer the reason of the problem. We spent almost the 07 days of hosting basking in cold water because hot water or standard (sometimes) only at 07:00 am.
* Fresh towels, storage beds, gathering trash in the room only after 17:00 hours and not swept or passed, a cloth on the floor.
* Fridge did not work, hot water!
* Room without adequate and painted a dark color wall lighting, leaving the darkest room.
* Vase with water and plant dying, with danger of having dengue mosquita for lack of water exchange.
* Food in the restaurant very greasy, fried very few options green salad, artificial juice, natural juice only at breakfast.
* Restaurant without aquedada, very dark and poorly ventilated lighting.

Room Tip: away from pools, to have peace and quiet.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Guest ,

Best regards,
IFA Villas Bavaro Resort & Spa
Montreal
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I have been to this resort many times. As in the past all the personnel were friendly, professional and very helpful.
There is a good variety of food from which to choose. The beach and the pools are clean and welcoming.
The wi-fi worked really well. Thank you David Castillo and staff for helping to make this holiday very enjoyable!!!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
LopesanHotelGroup, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at IFA Villas Bavaro Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Dear Guest,

We greatly appreciate that you have chosen our IFA Villas Bavaro Resort & Spa as your holiday. We are very pleased you enjoyed all-inclusive program, and the facilities we provide you.

We are looking forward to seeing you soon for a longer time in this paradise to have a wonderful trip with the most happy and friendly staff.

Regards from Punta Cana!
IFa Villas Bávaro Resort & Spa

Been to IFA Villas Bavaro Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!