“still sick” 2 of 5 stars

and 1 more site!
Save Saved
You added IFA Villas Bavaro Resort & Spa to your Saves list
IFA Villas Bavaro Resort & Spa
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playas de Bavaro, Punta Cana 51101, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #59 of 100 Hotels in Punta Cana
Toronto, Canada
“still sick”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2014

On the positive side, this hotel is nice, staff try their best to help and the beach is beautiful.
That said, the food and drink are not fit for human consumption. I have been to a dozen all inclusive resorts and this was the worst. Cuba can show this place how to make a decent meal. I am currently in day 5 of a 12 step program... not the usual one but simply how many steps I can be away from the bathroom and feel safe. Three of the six in our group are suffering the same affliction.
Find a few bucks and stay at another hotel, it's not a bargain if you spent most of your holiday in your room.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (267)
  • Polish first
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2014

ifa is a beautiful resort but very awkward!it took me few days to find the washroom who by the way are represent by stick men lol our room was nice because we upgrade home (thanks to travelers advice). but don't expect ocean view because they are none. we found the food really good but very limited and repetitive. the service was exceptional(good job to all the waiter and waitress) our favorite was the pizzeria. very nice place to eat and hang out. the show at night needs real improvement. they are most definitely promoting sex! there outfit is far from being appropriate for children.
the one thing that really bother us was the pressure to buy something (in the resort itself) they seem to think we are all millionaire!about we work our butt off at home and need a break lol on the beach its a night mare! my daughter would pretend to be running so they would leave her alone lol but at the end off the day,the beach in Punta Cana and weather, unbeatable...we will probably try a new place next year for many reason. but if the price is right we shall be back!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Barrie, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2014

We visited this resort to celebrate a couple of special family milestones. While this was our first trip to Punta Cana, we certainly have traveled south many times. Never have we been so disappointed.

This resort seems to cater to smokers; sadly, we missed the memo. Smoking was permitted everywhere, including in restaurants :( It's very difficult to get away from cigarette smoke in this resort.

The food was extremely disappointing. Additionally, the majority of us became ill during our stay despite the fact that we didn't drink or brush our teeth with the tap water. Needless to say this is much more than a coincidence...

Customer service is poor, poor, poor! My mother became ill poolside one day and despite asking 3 different staff members for assistance no one ever came, leaving us to clean up the area.

Although the cleaning staff make a daily appearance, clean towels are not provided. There was no shampoo in the dispensers and no washcloths. Despite having 11 people in our party and 5 rooms, we were charged $40 for a cake to celebrate our parents anniversary. Even more ridiculous was the fact that when I attempted to pay for the cake the day of the anniversary, I was told that no cake had been ordered. Luckily our Sunwing rep could validate our order. There weren't enough hangers in the room and despite asking for them on 4 different occasions they never came.

The ocean was no where in sight from our ocean rooms. They were a considerable walk to the ocean. A problem for our elderly parents. Golf cars drive around the resort however were typically full making the journey to the beach was an ordeal.

So much more to share but you get the point!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2014

I found it to be a really nice experience. Reading some of the reviews seems like some folks I complained about the facilities, the food, etc, but I thought it was all great. I haven't visited other resorts in Punta Cana, but I was really happy with our time here. I've broken down our visit in sections below and rated them individually.

STAFF- The staff are very nice here. Friendly and seem to enjoy working there. Many of them live on site for a period of 10-12 days and then go back to their home town, so it is likely that you'll see the same people over and over again while you are there.

It seems like people really enjoy their work and are happy to be there.

Because I was noticeably pregnant during our stay, staff were extra nice and went out of their way to help us.

Language -- people are cool with you practicing Spanish even if you butcher it. I found that the staff would speak Spanish with you first, and would wait for you to reply to figure out which language you needed them to speak back to you. I personally liked that. All the wait staff and bartenders can manage basic English to get you taken care of if you don't speak Spanish(and it seemed to be they were also speaking in French and possibly Russian as well).

If you need someone who speaks your language (English, French, Russian) the best place is to start at the front desk or customer service. Don't expect the gardeners and baggage guys to be able to speak your language. I heard people complaining about this, and was surprised--- come on people--- it is a Spanish speaking country! You can't expect all the staff to have fluent English. The front desk and customer service people are all good communicators, so they are the ones to go to if you have any requests or issues. With everyone else, I recommend practicing your Spanish.

My advice--- pick up a few basic Spanish phrases and courtesies and you'll feel empowered -- how to ask for drinks, food and other basic necessities since that is where you mostly interact with people.

FACILITIES--
After a day or two, I wondered "where are the bugs?" For a tropical climate, I saw almost no bugs, and only a few mosquitoes. I expected a lot more, but just didn't see them. Either IFA keeps stuff VERY clean or they just aren't around here.

I have to say, this place is more beautiful than they show on the website. It is VERY clean, and the buildings and gardening are beautiful. They have a variety of different pools and areas to hang out for people who want more activities or more relaxation. Something for everyone and whatever mood you're in.

However, a lot of walking is required if you aren't in one of the rooms right by the main eating area and reception. If you're in a standard room, you'll most likely have to walk about .5 to .75 mile to the reception and dining area.

ROOMS- We started off in the standard rooms which were really far from the beach and dining halls. The rooms themselves were fine. Clean, with basic necessities and lovely gardening all around. We upgraded to a "superior" room the last few days which was closer to the dining hall because I'm pregnant and got pretty tired from walking back and forth for food, drinks, entertainment, the beach, and the pool.

One thing about the superior rooms-- if you're not a couple just note that the showers have a glass wall so other people in your room can see you bathing. So if you're coming with friends or parents or something, just note that you might want to ask about that while you are booking to be sure you have the private shower wall.

I saw complaints about the beds on some reviews. I thought the beds were very comfortable. We sleep on a firm mattress at home, and this one was slightly softer than a standard firm mattress in the US.

FOOD---The theme restaurants are fun--- and a neat experience to mix up the variety. The food is not drastically different in any of them, but the ambiance is varied. These provide a nice quiet break from the busy dining hall environment.

If you're a vegetarian, there is stuff here for you, although you might get a little tired of the food because most of the variety is in the fish, chicken, and egg cuisines. I feel like there was a lot of European food in the dining hall. I think they do a good job of appealing to the European crowd. (But I'm an American, so it could just be my perception. For a more accurate review about European preferences, check a European's review.)

If you're a spicy lover, you might want to bring a hot sauce of your choice, because the food is not all that spicy overall, and the hot sauces aren't all that varied. A minor point, but if you can't live without your hot food, this would help.

OTHER GUESTS-
We went during the busy season in late January and the place was pretty busy. Short waits for food, tables, pool chairs and things like that. But if you live in a big city or are used to having a lot of people around you, I don't think you'll be bothered by this one bit. As an American, it took me 2 days before I met any other Americans. When we went it was mostly Canadians (English and French speaking), French, Russians, and Germans.

When we went there were a LOT of smokers, so for Americans who aren't used to people smoking in restaurants and all over the place, just be aware of where you're sitting so you're not stuck next to a chain smoker at breakfast.

We heard some people complaining about other rude guess, but I wasn't bothered by it at all. We mostly kept to ourselves, were polite to other guests, didn't mess with people's stuff on the beach or pool chairs, waited in line like civilized people, and just practiced basic courtesies. We had no problems whatsoever.

OVERALL - we really enjoyed our experience and would go back here.

Room Tip: If you don't want to walk too far, get a more expensive room. The standard rooms (cheapest ones...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Bilbao, Spain
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2014

me encanto la villa que nos dieron,un poco lejos de la playa, pero el paseo hasta ella fue maravilloso, el personal fantastico ,se comia muy bien.
I loved the town that gave us a bit away from the beach, but the walk until she was wonderful, the staff fantastic, they ate very well

Room Tip: visitarlo---I visit
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Brooklyn, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2014

This was the first time we traveled w/ our son who was 6 months at the time. The hotel was nice and clean and provided a sturdy crib for my son. The beach was a little bit of a far walk from everything but overall the hotel was good...

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2014

Stayed at IFA in February 2014.....enjoyed the facilities...good hotel....good service....food was ok....everything was fine....no complaints.....best drinks are at Cafe Dominicano......beach was beautiful.....only complaint....there never seems to be enough lounge chairs to go around....that's both at the pool and at the beach

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to IFA Villas Bavaro Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!