“IFA Villa Bavaro” 5 of 5 stars
Review of IFA Villas Bavaro Resort & Spa

You added IFA Villas Bavaro Resort & Spa to your Saves list
IFA Villas Bavaro Resort & Spa
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playas de Bavaro, Punta Cana 51101, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #63 of 101 Hotels in Punta Cana
Boston, Massachusetts
“IFA Villa Bavaro”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

Between the food and the liquor and the great service all I can say is don't wait. I took my grown daughter with me and my husband. We had a great time. Food was terrific and staff was friendly, and villa was large and clean. WIFI included. Cable a plus.

Room Tip: villas have a kitchen
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (305)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Arlington, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

I had already purchased a Groupon, but still read up on all the reviews. I have to say I was pretty leery and almost sorry I had purchased the Groupon. But once we were there I was so glad we went. It was good to have a heads up about room location (not close to the theater or disco), the pillows (they are oddly lumpy) and check-in (can be slow, but it wasn't too bad). The property is probably close to 20 years old and it could use a little updating, but much nicer than I expected. The grounds were really nice and there were always people there working on the landscaping. The bartenders were all very friendly, most of the restaurant workers were as well. Didn't have much interaction with the 'Animation' team and only went to one show at the theater. The beach was AMAZING, even if most days there was quite a bit of seaweed. The sand is powdery white, and what was surprising to me was there were very few bugs (other than flies). There is a lagoon that is very pretty, and they have live flamingos in an area by another pool. I'm a vegetarian so I didn't have any problems at all with the food and for the most part thought it was good. We had a party of 3 and no one got sick. This seems to be a couples kind of resort - not many singles. And definitely a majority of Europeans. Probably only 5% Americans there, but that's ok. The only complaint I have is that it seemed most everyone smoked, everywhere. Really annoying, but other than posting no smoking signs you can't blame the hotel for that. It was extremely relaxing and I would definitely go there again

Room Tip: We stayed in the 4500 block of rooms and it seemed to be a pretty good centralized spot. You could...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Acworth, Georgia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

I read all the reviews prior to arrival. I thought we would be fine as we are so not hard to please. The resort was very pretty and clean, but if you like to eat do not go!! We went 9/1/12 to 9/8/12 and had a room closest to the ocean (about 5 minute walk). Resort is about 20 or so minutes from the airport. I believe it is the second resort going that way after Barcelo. Arrival was fine. Check out was fine. Only 8 dollars for an hour late check out.I emailed the resort prior to going and also requested through vacation express a King bed and did not receive it. Room was nice and clean on arrival. Air conditioning worked well (controlled by a second room key). Three English channels on the TV only, which was very limiting since we were stuck in the room while my husband was sick. Bathroom toilet area was small and you can hear everything from it (it is not enclosed and you could see into it). This was not nice as my husband got a serious case of food poisoning he contracted on our third day there. The maid did not ever change the sheets on the bed. She just made the bed, so sand would still be on and in the sheets. I gave her about 20 dollars over the week and asked for beer in the fridge to drink in the room every day and she left two the first day. We never had enough bottle water left in our room either. This was important b/c I really did not trust the water served in the buffet or restaurants. They do not have bottle water anywhere on the resort except what you get in your room fridge. The fridge was not even cold either. There is no canned or bottled beer to drink or take from any bar. All they serve beer in is from a large (40 oz) bottle in small plastic cups (they will not let you have one of their big bottle of beers to take to your room). They only have one brand of beer and they serve their whiskey out of a nozzle, which I thought was weird. Our room near ocean was also near the theater. This is VERY loud for all surrounding buildings until after 11:00PM. We did not think it would be an issue, but my husband was sick and in bed. Not even earplugs helped. They give a large body pillow that was huge (too tall to sleep on) and two lumpy pillows that were awful. There were three pools, which were nice looking, but they were all hot and felt gross. You could only swim in them until 7PM and then they supposedly put a bunch of chemicals in them to clean them. We only stayed at the beach, but be aware that there are topless women and lots of speedos, which were not nice to look at. The beach is the best part of the resort. It is beautiful. There are a lot of palm trees that provide shade and plenty of chairs to move around as the sun shifts. You never have to worry about chair saving here, which is great. There is a roped off area to swim in and it does not go very far out due to the crazy boats flying by. Do not bother snorkeling b/c there is nothing to see. There are no shells, so the sand is very soft. There was some seaweed, but they clean up daily. The activities seem very lacking here. It seemed like the workers did not enjoy entertaining people. The service at the bars was very good. They made the drinks how you ask and were friendly. The service at the buffets was hit and miss. The girls just looked like they had the biggest attitude and never once smiled. The men were much nicer. Be aware there are flies everywhere. How can you want to eat when you see that many flies!! The only indoor restaurant was the Caribbean. The food was awful at all buffets, pizza place and the four reservation restaurants. Making a reservation for the restaurants was awful. I would try to call and it would be busy. Who want to walk up to the front desk area at 8AM and stand in line to get a dinner reservation. We would get the very last available which was always at like 10 PM. The food is not fresh at all. The pizza and fries were alright for the first day or two, but you just sit there watching all the flies land on it and it is so gross. They do not wear gloves anywhere and sweat all over the food. I am ready to throw up just thinking about it. Even the smell of the buffets would get my husband sick. We went to the disco one night and it was just awful music and people standing around or partner dancing. It was not like a club scene to me at all. We literally only met a handful of Americans, so don't go expecting to get to talk to or meet many people. Most of the resort workers knew some English, so don't worry about that. They have security guards with long sticks walking all parameters of the resort, which was a little confusing. What are they protecting? There was a prostitute in the pool on a three day pass and she was talking prices with a guy we were talking with. This resort should not let this be happening. I thought we were getting a good deal on the amount of money we spent (1,500 for 7 nights), but met a couple on the plane that spend only 800 more and stayed at a 5 star resort. I guess you do get what you pay for, but you could not pay me to go back to this resort, as I like to eat and not feel like I am going to get sick for doing so. If you go take your pillow from home (they are really bad), take bug spray if you stay on the beach past 6PM (it starts getting dark there about 7PM) and the mosquito's come out, bring a bubba mug for drinks as I said they serve in like 8 oz. plastic cups that get hot quickly and spill easily, only drink bottled water (bring a travel cooler to get ice to keep it cold when you go from your room), bring an alarm clock (there is not one in the room). They do not have irons either. Bring comfortable shoes to walk in b/c it is spread out, which I did not mind and it is all cobblestone (so don't go barefoot..it gets hot). We did tip everyone, but it did not seem to matter in service (just made me feel better in doing so). Good luck if you are going, but if you still have a chance to change do so (you have to trust me)!!

Room Tip: It depends on what noise you want to here. If you are by the front of the resort (villas/cheaper roo...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Pantelimon, Bucuresti, Romania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

i have been there in 2011 , the persons who work there are very very rude , the place is good-looking , but in the last day there , the maid stole from my room all my ID`s except passport and 1200 dollars . so , i almost cannot leave the country . when i went to the general manager , he got a entry paper for my room and see that at the time i was missing from my room ( like half an hour when i was at the reception telling them that someone was looking through my bagagge) the maid got in and steal all money and ID`s . my advice : choose another hotel !!!!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
Silver Spring, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

This was my first experience at an all inclusive hotel resort. When we first arrived the people in receptionist area were all very scattered brained and very disorganized and rude. They were so mean to us and we were being very nice to them. They snatched our paper work even before we could finish writing all our information. However the concierge staff on the side were really nice and the waiters,service men and cleaning crew were all nice. The food was not that great, I barely ate it, the grounds were pretty clean and the ocean was beautiful with little seaweed.

Room Tip: the ocean view rooms are alot quieter and the view is beautiful.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Staten Island, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012

There are a lot of things to do, you don't get bored and everything is perfect. The food is delicious, the pool are awesome, the people are very nice, polite and fun.. Oh the rooms are beautiful and very comfortable. The via iof the beach is perfect for a romantic night. The kids had so much fun cuz there are a lot of activities for them too. I love this place and I'm planing to come back soon.

Room Tip: It is one of the best places of RD
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Bernardsville, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

Loved the little cottages we stayed in. Food was great, as was the service. Bar/restaurant at the beach was lovely. Staff was very friendly, especially when we spoke a little Spanish =). Bars were all fun too! And the staff at the main pool was a lot of fun.

Room Tip: stay in one of the villas; further away from the beach but very nice! you can always use the shuttle...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to IFA Villas Bavaro Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!