“Good product for the price paid.” 2 of 5 stars
Review of IFA Villas Bavaro Resort & Spa

You added IFA Villas Bavaro Resort & Spa to your Saves list
IFA Villas Bavaro Resort & Spa
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playas de Bavaro, Punta Cana 51101, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #60 of 101 Hotels in Punta Cana
Heredia, Costa Rica
“Good product for the price paid.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2012

I just came back from a 5 days vacation with my family. I want to list a few things that I liked a lot and some that I did not like:

What I liked:
1. The beach, the grounds, the peacocks.
2. People was mainly friendly - with some exceptions
3. The night shows - with some dark spots
4. Drinks were good
5. Animation staff: Stanley was AWESOME!!!!

What I didn't like
1. The food: it wasn't terrible and I would always find something I liked, but it was unflavorful - wasn't expecting this from caribbean cuisine.
2. The "handcrafts fair": one day they had a fair near the lobby area where some folks broght they overpriced merchandize and were extremely aggressive phisically pulling you to check out their stuff.So, you couldn't walk peacefully in that area for the whole afternoon
3. WiFi was extremely expensive: $10 a day for a service that didn't even work
4. Animation staff: while most of them was really nice, they were trying so hard to get people engaged in the games and activities that sometimes you felt like it was mandatory and you were completely out of line if you didn't want to play. One of the guys (the shorter, fatter lead animator) was undescribable disrespectful... I think many of the tourists didn't get his disrepectful jokes because they were drunk or because his english is terrible. But for us that speak spanish his jokes were very offensive - like when he told my mother she dances so bad because she probably just had surgery in both legs - and they still want people to participate.
5. Night show: 99% of it was awsome and very entertaining. The bad part is at the beginning, when the dancers ask guests to dance. This is good... the bad part is when they are dancing with you wishing they were dead instead of dancing with you. If they don't like that, they have to either start liking it of fake it! The worst was the guy - who thinks is larger than life - that does the Michael Jackson in the stars show, I guess he thinks he is way to good to be dancing with some silly tourists that doesn't match to his dancing skills (which are AWESOME - but still).

Room Tip: 11's are good, if you don't mind walking a little bit or wait for the little shuttle to get...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (274)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Phoenixville, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2012

We purchased a trip within our budget and I think it is very true that "Barrato sale Carro" which means when you go cheap it ends up expensive. I proposed to my Fiance the night before we left. needless to say we were very excited to stay in PC. WE read the fine print after we bought and I know it was a mistake but It read out like there was a lot to offer when the fine print was discovered we were a little scared
I am going to keep this short and sweet....
The place was beautiful and well kept. The food went from cheap to cheaper. Re-use of food seemed to be in abundance. The drinks tasted of cheap liquor in the sense that I like a strong drink but not when the liquor makes it taste like I am trying to remove paint from my mouth, me no likey. The help was very nice and did a great job. The outside stores on the beach were ready to take advantage of any outsider who doesn't know prices of goods. i.e. someone bought three bracelets for 8 dollars american when My fiance was trying to get sold a bracelet for her ankle for 50 american and when she was walking away he dropped the price to 5??? Fishy? The reservation restaurants are not up to par. the dinners are like playing fancy, it looks fancy and seems fancy but it is not fancy at all. You get what you pay for if you want to ball on a budget this is ok but I have to say my best day on the island is when we got invited and went to the Hard Rock Resort and spent a day pass for all-inclusive activity there AMAZING!!!!
If you want to pay for wi-fi, pay for any calls even if its a taxi cab to go out it will cost you american money, eat cheap food and drink cheap liquor nothing against Brugal it just did not taste like Brugal I am used to. Pay for transport to and from airport and have little to nothing to do if it rains then by all means . Go here

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2012

This was our forth year at IFA. My husband and I love it. The hotel is very clean and the workers are all friendly. The hotel is not as big as some but that is more than ok with us. I hear people all the time on the way home complaining their hotel complexes are to big. IFA is just right. I really never care to stay anywhere else! we also always hear people complaining about the food. The food is what it is. It is good and keeps you full. If you want gourmet I suggest you spend way more money and go to a 6 golden star place. We took friends this year and they had a great time. Punta Cana is such a beautiful place I love it there. Would retire there in heart beat.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2012

My friends and I recently returned from a 6 day, 5 night stay at this absolutely stunning resort. I am well versed in traveling to all inclusive properties and this was one of the best I have been to.

IT IS ESSENTIAL THAT YOU BRING PLENTY OF SUN SCREEN FROM HOME. A 6oz bottle of Coppertone was $25 U.S. dollars. They will rob you blind with the price of sun screen so pack way more than you need.

As for the resort itself, let me start by saying that the food is definitely sub par, but I have certainly had worse. By the end of the trip, two out of four of us were literally running to the bathroom after taking our last bite of food. If you are selective of what you eat and stick to eating the delicious fresh fruit and a few other basics you should be fine.

The resort features restaurants that require a reservation, providing the illusion that you are eating something special; something above and beyond the typical buffet. I can assure you this is not the case. Beginning around 7:30am you will see a line of people in the Hotel lobby waiting with bated breath to make a reservation. Do not waste your time. The only "restaurant" worth while is the Italian fare and even in that case I ordered pizza which was readily available at all times in other locations. The pizza and fresh fruit were my staples throughout the trip -- I highly recommend the same! One final thought: the Mexican restaurant was downright vile; do NOT go there.

As for the positives: I have never seen a resort so clean. Every morning I walked past dozens of staff members scrubbing the grounds with soap and power washers. The rooms were clean as well and our refrigerator was stocked every day with big fresh bottles of spring water. Side note: drinking the water in the DR is perfectly fine.

The landscaping is picturesque and available space to lay by one of the 3 pools was plentiful. The beach is a bit of a hike from the rooms (5-10 minute walk) but they have a shuttle running throughout the day and night that will drop you off right there. As for the beach itself: stunning. In my experience at this resort there was no need to get up early to reserve chairs -- there were always plenty of loungers available. True to form you will find the occasional solicitor asking to braid your hair, as well as pesky resort employees persistently harassing you about taking one of their excursions. That is to be expected and can be brushed off by simple avoidance or just tell them no thanks!

There is definitely a language barrier at this resort. English fluency is extremely scarce so I would recommend brushing up on some Spanish speaking basics before you leave.

Overall, it was a lovely trip. You really can't beat the value for the price we paid and this is a resort I would definitely return to.

(AGAIN, BRING YOUR OWN SUN SCREEN)!!

Room Tip: If you go to bed early, ask for a room away from the theatre. It's loud.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2012

Let me start out by saying my group ended up paying under a thousand per person, so I am a firm believer you pay for what you get. That is with airfare!!! Let me start by saying this was my first visit to the DR, PC. My group of friends booked through apple vacations and I must say they are pretty organized. They made sure we got to and from the hotel. The positives about the hotel.... it is extremely clean and that is so important to me. The pools are very nice and they had enough chairs by the pool and on the beach. The rooms are smaller but in reality, you are only sleeping in the room. The sheets and spread are white which is a bonus because you know they are bleaching everything. They give you a card for beach towels and you can clean towels all day. This place is very spread out so if you want to be close to the beach make sure you request that or you might end up walking. They have a volley ball net and have some day activities. The pools are good b/c some are busy with kids and others are more for the relaxing adults. I would bring your own sunscreen. THE HOTEL CHARGES $25 PER BOTTLE. What I thought the negatives about the hotel is that if you don't speak Spanish be prepared. No one at the resort speaks English fluently. I had a horrible time getting questions answered. I would think that the front desk would have someone but they don't. Another issue I had is the food was gross, uneatable. The buffet is filled with cheap items that makes you want to puke. I ate fresh fruit and make a salad from hamburger condiments. There was a few restaurants but you had to make reservations and make sure you get there right at 8 am or you won't get one. I only ate at 2 of the places to make reservations. DO NOT EAT AT THE MEXICAN PLACE. I am not joking but when we were walking out I heard another party say OMG what is this. The food was a joke. We did eat at the Italian place which we were scared but it wasn't that bad or maybe we got used to the food. The Italian place has a buffet by the beach during the day and the food is covered with flies and not one worker seemed alarmed. The fish on the buffet even looked scared. The lunch meat had a funny color. Also the drinks are cheap. The frozen drinks are watery and they only give you one ice cube. If you are going for good and drinks do not go here. I went for the sun and beach and ended up drinking the beer b/c that was the only thing I could down. Also I am a big coffee person but they do not have 1/2 and 1/2 or milk. They only have the milk that comes in a box... I asked for waiter for half and half and he filled my coffee with have boxed milk and have coffee. NO ENGLISH!! The hotel does have a nice place where you can get espresso and a cappuccino and this place serves much better drinks. We sat there at night. Also, if you tip the staff there, they will really make sure your drinks are always full. $5 goes a long way. This was the nicest spot of the hotel. It is pretty and all open. Overall I would say YOU GET FOR WHAT YOU PAY!!!!!

Room Tip: It depends on what you want. If you want to be close to the beach, make sure you request that becau...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Hudson, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2012

My husband and I stayed at IFA from March 8-16th 2012. We traveled with two of our kids ages 9 and 16.
Check in was very smooth. We were escorted to our room which we found a little smoky so right away they moved us to another building no problem. We ended up being in the 4000 building next to the spa. This was a perfect location. The hotel is set back from the beach and this building was closest to the beach with about a 3 minute walk.
The rooms were nice and modern in the hotel section. The only thing that wasn't good was the pillows. They were too thin and small.
The drinks all over the resort were yum but my favourite was the Coco Loco.
The food was really good. There was always plenty of choice at both buffets and the pizza place by the main pool had the best pizza we have ever had with so many choices. The fries there were awesome too. My kids had plenty to choose from. There were 4 a la carte restaurants but we only tried 3 of them. The Italian was nice but it was similar to the buffet. The Mexican was good if you are a fan of Mexican and the Asian one was so good we ate there twice. The Dim Sum was delicious. There is also a Creperie near the kids club and they were really good too. By far our favourite spot was the Cafe Dominicano. They had amazing cappucinos which we enjoyed many times a day. The place is quiet and relaxing in the morning and quite the happening spot in the evening. The Margaritas there are very good.
The grounds are beautiful. The villas are set back but they have a trolley. If we stayed again without the kids I would stay in the villas as the setting is really nice. With the kids though it was easier to be closer to the beach and main pool. There are 3 pools. A very quiet one by the theatre, the main pool where all the action is and our favourite pool by the Margarita bar. There is also a jacuzzi bar with 4 large jacuzzis around it in the heart of the villa area.
As I mentioned there is a kids club but my son didn't use it. It looked nice though.
The entertainment here was amazing. Carlos did a great job and my eldest is still talking about Estale. He was such a fun guy. The games by the main pool were very entertaining and the shows at night were good but we found the audience participation nights a bit long and highly inappropriate for children who may still be up at 9pm.
We had a couples massage at the spa one day and both went back again for separate treatments another day. If we had had more time we would have gone again. They were great.
We had friends come visit us and get a day pass to enjoy the resort for the day and dinner at night.
There is also a night club which I didn't go to but my husband and son did and they really enjoyed it.
Overall this was a great resort especially with the kids. The beach is beautiful but there is a lot of boat traffic. We always managed to get chairs there.
It is not the place for a quiet relaxing week but with kids or friends I would highly recommend it.

Room Tip: To be close to the beach ask for the 4000 building.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Bucharest, Romania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2012

Nice hotel, but they charge you for everything (upgrading rooms 8$/day/pers, safety deposit box 3$/day, late check out 8$/hour). the front desk was very slow and they do not speak English well. Luckly we speak a little Spanish. Anyway this minor issues I mentioned didn't even come close to ruining our vacation. The food was very good, diverse, and enough for everybody. A lot of fresh fruits (I love it). You can find breakfast even at 6.00 am (in case you go on a trip to the islands or else). The Pikalo pizza was great. Also the reatsurant near the beach was nice. The hotel garden is very beautiful and well-tended. The beach is one of the most beautiful in Bavaro area (anyway you can walk around the beach Bavaro what seem like stretches endlessly).

Room Tip: Dont take the 4000 rooms because they are situated near the enterteintment area and there is a lot o...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family

Been to IFA Villas Bavaro Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!