“IFA Bavaro Village - Good & Bad” 3 of 5 stars
Review of IFA Villas Bavaro Resort & Spa

Save Saved
You added IFA Villas Bavaro Resort & Spa to your Saves list
IFA Villas Bavaro Resort & Spa
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playas de Bavaro, Punta Cana 51101, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #54 of 100 hotels in Punta Cana
Stony Plain, Canada
“IFA Bavaro Village - Good & Bad”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2011

We arrived in the early evening on Nov. 24. The check in took quite awhile. They didn't seem very happy to see us, or were welcoming in any way - but we were on vacation, and so happy to finally get there. First tip - if you want a SAFETY DEPOSIT BOX, get it at check in - eventhough you have to go and stand in another line to get it - adds another 10 -15 minutes to your check in time. It costs $3/day. Checkin was disorganized - Finally - an extremely friendly porter took us to our room - #4436. He showed up how everything in the room worked which was certainly appreciated. I think Hubby tipped him $5.

After check in, went to the buffet which was not very good. After that we decided to try and book ala-cartes most nights, ( which we did and they were pretty good), other than the Italian, which just has a buffet set up behind the scene with the same food that you can get in the afternoon at the beach restaurant. The other ala-cartes were pretty good, other than the Mexican which we did not like at all.

The walk to the beach was about 5 minutes, through the nice white sand which is not that bad to do, but further than some people would like. I did not like that there is only one bathoom, with only 2 stalls, you usually always had to line up and wait. It's a big resort - they should have more bathrooms, as well, the bar isn't right on the beach, so you have to walk into the restaurant to order your drinks.

The rooms were nice and the housekeeping was certainly up to par. I don't know that I would go back there as the rooms don't have balconys, just screen doors that open up. Most of the guests there we European-one day some guy from Germany/Holland??? not sure-- came up and wanted one of the chairs we were saving for our friends who were joining us - he made a big scene about us saving chairs and threatened to report us to the hotel - husband told him - go report us - our friends are coming??? What the H??? That was the only sour part of our holiday. All in all - it was a nice week away in the nice warm weather of the Dominican Republic. Will I go back? -- of course, probably not to this resort, but don't stay away from it - we just like a different atmosphere.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family

2,319 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (243)
  • Polish first
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2011

YOU BE THE JUDGE:

SHUTTLE & ROOM:
As soon as we got to the Punta Cana Airport, Coco Tours was waiting for us to bring us the resort. I booked with CheapTickets.com and had the option to purchase the shuttle service. That went smoothly. On the way over we dropped off a couple at BELIVE hotel and boy did it look bad. Just saying. I'm a New York type of girl and was looking to get out of the resort and do our own thing but from the looks on the way to IFA, it was bad. I don't want to get caught out there.

As soon as we arrive to the IFA we spoke to Randy at the front desk. I called to confirm our reservations a week prior (thank God I did because it was so screwed up) and he was polite and sent the bellman to bring our bags to our $130. upgraded room, which we purchased. Very nice gesture. My boyfriend, Pat gave Randy a handshake with a $50 bill. We stayed at 3307. The room had old flowers in two vases but overall it was nice. I like the flat screen TV, red wall, and the tiles are not cracked. The repairs in the room were done real crappy. But it was comfortable for someone who gets home sick like myself. The bed was firm and pillows were soft. Shower was large. NO PRIVACY whatsoever which could be uncomfortable or eye candy for your spouse. The wall was a glass brick barrier and door was a glass frost type of door. The bathroom is pretty a tiny space again with a frost door. Not cool. The vanity was decent. The sink was far off from the facet. In other words, the job was done wrong but fine. I'm not looking for perfection. Our sliding door faced the back of Pizza area. Very loud in the daytime. At night it was quiet. Air conditioning worked and kept room cold. We had the thermostat in our room as well.

BEACH & POOLS:

Good luck with getting a lounge chair past 9am. All the IFA visitors put out their towel on the chairs at 7am and don't come back till at least 12:30. It’s incredible how these people have such nerve. I had no problem throwing their towel on the sand and taking the chairs. Same issue at the ALL pools. Expect men in Speedos, thongs and women to be topless at the beach. Not walking around though. The sand is clean, firm; water is real salty, clean and not exactly clear. The palm trees on the beach are so tall and beautiful. Very cool.

FOOD:
The food is another story. The only thing I did enjoy was the fried or roasted chicken, rice, and beans, bean salad annnnnddd that’s about it. The pizza by the pool was a joke. It tasted like cardboard. I have no idea how anyone on the face of this earth could enjoy the pizza. I noticed people putting ketchup on it and eating it with satisfaction. Everything is very salty or oily which caused for upset stomach. Food that doesn’t even look like food. Nothing is hot. Coffee was good. Drinks were a rip off. They all tasted the same in a lil plastic cup (the ones you use for mouthwash.) They have pina colada mix and a banana strawberry mix. EXTREMELY SWEET. They do have coca cola and sprite on tap, which wasn’t so bad. Every beer Pat had was warm. The beer is kept in an icebox with no ice in it. They take this opened beer bottle and pour it in a plastic cup. We made it to 2 out of the 3 restaurants. The Chinese one was good. I had a Philly roll, sweet and sour chicken, and fried ice cream. All very good. Pat had the dumplings, grouper? and fried ice cream. He said it was very good too. I didn’t taste because I enjoyed mine so much. My portion was large. The Mexican restaurant was no good. I love Mexican food. (Last night I ate tacos) but this place was gross. I ordered the burrito. Ya know what they served me? The taquitos from 7-Eleven. No joke. And the ones at 7-11 were tastier. Get dressed up for taquitos. The last restaurant was Carribe. I was so sick and tired of the food I went over to the mini mart and pat and I got 2 pear juices in a can and 2 cup of noodles, boiled some water from the coffee maker that is in the room and had us a cup of soup for dinner and I gotta say,.. IT WAS THE BEST THING I ATE ALL 8 DAYS I WAS THERE!!

TIP:
We tipped the lady housekeeper whom was quite friendly, the manager Randy at the front desk, the bartenders at the beach bar, bellboy, bartender at the pizza bar. And would you believe when we passed them at later times during our stay we got a turned cheek. Several times we came up to the front desk to ask a simple question and Randy turned his face and walked away to chitchat. DON’T BOTHER TO TIP ANYONE except your housekeeper. We gave $40-50 tips and we get cold shoulders! Why bother? The housekeeper didn’t clean our room before anyone else’s or pick us fresh flowers but MOST IMPORTANTLY made sure we had a clean tidy room! She provided an extra towel with two sprites & cokes. Perfect. I don’t need first class but show class with my gratitude.

SPA:
We purchase a double hour massage for $120.00. It was great. The ½ hour Sauna and ½ hour Jacuzzi were clean.

I believe IFA caters to the EuroTrash that stays at their resort. I apologize to anyone who is offended but its 100% true…Watching Europeans participate in a dirty dance contest and rubbing up on hotel staff which were the judges is disgusting and unacceptable. It really seem the Europeans were going for seconds and thirds for the food…. The Americans we met and spoke to didn’t like the food at all. The pasta and pizza is something that should not be called food.

Overall, I had a good time. We made the most of our trip. We woke up at 7am to make the reservations at the restaurants and reserve our lounge chairs. We bought a bottle of rum and a coke to make our own COLD drinks. We purchased ice-cold beer at a lil shack at the beach that had no relations with IFA. We had nice cup of noodles soup that didn’t give us upset stomach. Took long walks on the beach and did what we planned to do down there whether the hotel was great or not. And that was to RELAX. I wouldn’t come back again though. I did stress my feelings to Randy whom could give two [--].

And talking to dozens of other people back home, that’s what D.R. is all about. Book with another island! Good luck!

Room Tip: The rooms in the back are most quiet by the high pool with the broken jacuzzis
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Surrey, British Columbia, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2011

IFA resorts spa hotel is awesome me and my wife stayed a week there we got a room in the 4000 and close to beach side which was close to everything. This hotel is not party central and unlike cancun punta cana is not a party place. Alot of old people at this resort and quiet europeans. Pools are great the pool bar is awesome and the pizza place picallo is awesome great pizza and at 11 pm they serve hamburgers and hot dogs line up at 11 or long line up. BEach is awesome white sand and crystal blue water. The theatre shows are awesome animacon team is awesome nightly shows rock look for mini me he is short guy in nightly shows he is life of the show. buffets are all good caribe is the best hands down. Food is good sometimes the same but food is good. Great entertainment by the pool even. Cafe Domincana is awesome best capucinno i tried ever and mama banana is awesome drink nice cold try it out don't forget. This hotel is great enjoyed my time here but only few complaints they don't bug you enough for excurisions like the caribbean festival. Me and my wife decided to do the caribbean festival which was snorkelling with sharks and stingrays. It is 90 bucks but worth every penny. Remember folks hotel entertainment is good but not great upto you to make vacatoins fun do excursions. THe business services in this hotel are weak that is the only complain. THe excursions are done through your tour operator or provider which sucks because they dont bug you they get paid regardless. I wish the excursions were done through the hotel then they would bug you. Remember we are on vacation to have fun time just wish they would bug you more about the excurisons and stuff to do in punta cana. We went to imagine and it was not that great they kept playing latin music no hip hop mostly house it is overrated no doubt and went to san juan shopping center okay not a big mall waste of time. This hotel is awesome the food is good not a 3 star a 4 star a real bargain folks.

Room Tip: get the room by beachside in the 4000 but remember the theatre is close by and closes at 11pm who wa...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Las Vegas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2011

First Impression were below expectation with the manager David C of the resort. We booked a king bed and the 1st night was stuck in a room with 2 full beds. What was very disappointing was the managers atttutide and lack of apology. We stayed in one of the villias which was very basic, but the rooms in the buildings in the center of the properly looked much better. There was not an iron in the room. When we requested one, we were inform there were none. We could have our items pressed for a fee. If you do not speak spanish choose another resort. Although the staff was very friendly and willing to help in anyway, it was hard to find one who spoke English. Each staff member we met did there best to make our stay enjoyable. There are some positives to the hotel. The food was above average. Be sure to make a dinner reservation before 9am because they time slot fill fast. You can eat at the buffet which is also good. The staff had planned entertainment at the pool and took pride in delivering a great guest experience. The 3 pools were very nice and the beach was only a short 5 minute walk. Lastly, the spa was enjoyable. There sauna was not working but the gym and the massage were execellent. Enjoy your staff if you venture to this resort, but beware of what to expect.

Room Tip: Villas are a 5 minute walk to the beach, small and less than a 3 star hotel. If you can stay in a r...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2011

Beautifuly resort, very modern. Excellent a la carte, and good buffets. Many things to do, and very clean! I would recomend for sure! Only issue was the smoking in the night club.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2011

I wanted to start by saying, dont believe all the negative reviews about this resort...I am a frequent traveller & can honestly say that I would highly recommend this resort! I have been to 5* resorts in the Dominican that were not as nice as this one...
On a one week getaway we decided on the IFA recommended by a friend - we were not disappointed!
Check-in was smooth - Jennifer was friendly& efficient. I had requested a room on a higher floor as well as ocean view (there is no oceanfront at this resort as it is set back from the beach) as well as non-smoking and was pleasantly surprised to receive all my requests! Bldg 4300 is the closest to the beach. The rooms are spacious & clean - ours had a king size bed. The rooms do not have balconies, but a sliding door with railing.
It is a very unique resort with both bungalows & three story buildings in a gated community safe to walk day & night. The resort has a large natural untouched area on the north side with a lagoon filled with exotic birds including peacocks! I loved the random hens & baby chicks walking around the resort.
The beach is huge, natural shade with palm trees, lots of chairs, great swimming, the activity staff fabulous - if you dont like the beach music, lots of space to move into quieter areas...
The buffet is the standard, patience is key ...the food was set out in small amounts & was replenished with fresh food often - kudos to the staff who were on top of this job! I appreciated this as there was less waste. There was freshly grilled meat or fish nightly & fresh stir fry made to order. There was no typical "Theme" nights here.
Beach buffet served burgers,fries, nachos & rotation of roast chicken, fried chicken, grilled beef, pork chops, & excellent fried snapper!
The restaurants must be booked every morning with choice of mexican, oriental & my favorite -the Caribe. You can call for the reservation from your room after 8am.
There is also a pizzeria open daily for a snack throughout the day til 9pm with a lovely outdoor seating area - the pizzas are fresh, tasty & well made. Snacks are available at this spot til late (burgers, fries, hot dogs)
After dinner, enjoy a drink or coffee at the Cafe Dominicano - excellent espresso or cappucino and nice selection of liquers in a lounging atmosphere - lovely way to end your meal with a walk thru the grounds...
The evening activites were great productions at the open air theatre - wow what a theatre for a 3* resort!! The staff did a great job - i am always appreciative of the work that the hard working entertainment staff commits to for our enjoyment !
There are three pools throughout the resort, I am a beach person but the pool areas were clean & looked like they were enjoyed.
There is a nice gym with updated & functioning equipment overlooking one of the pools. Free Wi Fi is available near the the theatre.
I agree with the smoking issue or lack of designated smoking areas at this resort - the only place there is no smoking is the Caribe restauant because it is enclosed - if its open air,its smoking allowed...
Overall, had a great holiday on the beach, would recommend & will go back!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2011

My husband and I came back from IFA Villas Bavaro 2 days ago. It was our first trip to the Dominican Republic and we loved it! IFA Villas Bavaro is a great hotel for the price you pay. We talked to local people and they all said that IFA is the best of 4* in Punta Cana. It is absolutely not a luxury hotel. If you want something fancy, IFA is not for you, look for something else.
We arrived late, about 10 pm. It took us about 5 min to check in. We ordered Superior room and were very happy about it when we saw Standard Villas. Superior rooms cost about $ 8 more per day and they have better interior, much bigger and closer to the beach then Standard Villas. My husband was disappointed that there was not a balcony in the room. As for me it was not a problem as we didn`t spend much time in the room at all.
The stuff in the hotel was very hardworking. We always tipped our maid and she took a good care of our room, put fresh flowers on the bed, filled our fridge with water, coke and beer. There is a coffee maker in the room so you can make coffee before breakfast.
The hotel has 2 main buffets. The first one is near the reception served breakfast, lunch and dinner. The second buffet was on the beach. It served only lunch and dinner and loved the buffet and bar on the beach most of all. The food was good, big variety, always fresh, we never felt sick. My husband and I were very satisfied with food.
The hotel has 3 restaurants, where you can make reservation for the dinner. They start to make reservations at 8 am. We always called 8109 about 8.30 am to make a reservation. Some people went to make reservation in person and they have to wait in line. I don`t understand why they did it, if you can call. May be it was people who spoke neither English, nor Spanish.
My husband and I went to the Oriental restaurant Bambu and to the Caribbean restaurant Carribe. We both loved Bambu and didn`t like Carribe. Don`t order sushi in the Bambu, they are really bad. But the main course and desert was great. In the restaurants you can order wine or champagne for the additional cost $11-20.
About drinks. Only national drinks are included. The beer is only Brahma. We bought Presidente in the store and we were not very impressed. We drank rum and cocktails most of the time. The bar that we liked most of all was MARGARITA SWIMMING POOL BAR. We tipped the bar tenders and they did a great job for us. They made very good cocktails and even coconuts for us. You should try the local liquor Mamajuana! It is a very energetic drink ))
THE HOTEL HAS FREE WIFI ZONE! It is in a Theater bar and near the small pool and IFA CORRALIUM SPA. The wi-fi in the room is $ 10 a day. The speed was good.
The safe box is $ 3 per day. We didn`t take it, kept our documents in the locked luggage.
The beach was beautiful, the water was clear, the sand was as soft as silk. It was raining late in the night almost every day and it was raining may be for 5-10 min a couple times during the week. Most of the time the weather was very nice, sunny and comfortable warm. I think SPF 30 sunscreen is enough. I didn`t notice any mosquitos in the evening. There always were enough beds on the beach and security didn`t let local people to come. But if only you step off the your hotel`s beach border, it is terrible. My husband even got really mad on the person who was bugging us nonstop with offers to buy cigars for the unbelievable expensive price and drugs when we were walking off our hotel territory.
More about shopping. We didn`t buy anything in the opened market near our hotel beach. It is very stressful shopping. They give you very high price on everything. My husband smokes cigars and he buys the same cigars 4 more cheaper in USA then he was offered in the market. If you want to buy stuff for the decent price in the opened market, you need to bargain for at least 20 min and buy much. Such shopping is not for us. So we bought magnets for $ 3 each, coffee Santo Domingo ($5 for 1 pound bag of ground and $ 6 for 1 pound bag of coffee in beans) in the hotel stores. The small store Mapau Beach has cheaper prices then Palm Shopping Centre. We also bought 2 paintings of the local artist in the small store Mapau Beach. One painting was $ 20 and other one, very big was only $ 30.
If you want to buy rum, the cheapest place to do it is Columbus Plaza. $ 8.50 for the big bottle of Barcelo Anego ($ 14 in the hotel!) and $ 10 for the bottle of Brugal Extra Viego. We stopped in Columbus Plaza on our way to Santo Domingo and on the way back to the hotel. The Dominican rum has a great taste, much softer and better then Bacardi.
We took a tour to Santo Domingo. It is about 3 hours drive from Punta Cana, but definitely worth it!
Don`t rent a car in the Dominican Republic! Roads are terrible, scary, very narrow, sometimes it is even not enough room for 2 cars on the city streets and no rules, no lights, lots of motorbikes on the road.
The stuff in IFA Villas speaks Spanish and English. They don`t speak perfect English but they tried hard all the time and their English was enough to understand what you want. We didn`t have any communication problems withe hotel stuff. At the same time most of the visitors were from South America (mostly Brazil, Argentina, Peru), Europe ( mostly Spain and Germany) and Russia. We meet Americans and English speaking people may be 2-3 times.
The Animation team entertained people near the pool and on the beach.
Anyway, it had a great time in IFA Villas Bavaro and definitely go back again!

Room Tip: Take Superior room. They are bigger, closer to the beach and have a better interior then Standard Vi...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family

Been to IFA Villas Bavaro Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!