“Amazing Trip! Wish we were back at Sirenis” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sirenis Cocotal Beach Resort Casino & Aquagames

Save Saved
You added Sirenis Cocotal Beach Resort Casino & Aquagames to your Saves list
Sirenis Cocotal Beach Resort Casino & Aquagames
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playas Uvero Alto | Macao Beach, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #60 of 100 hotels in Punta Cana
Toronto, Canada
“Amazing Trip! Wish we were back at Sirenis”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2006

My boyfriend and I returned from Sirenis on June 3rd and we had an amazing time. We are both 24 and there were alot of couples are age which was nice. The bus ride from the airport was almost two hours because we had to drop other people off at various hotels so it really should have been about an hour. We arrived late on Saturday night and were greeted by a waitress with cold drinks for us which was so nice because it was so hot out. Check in was fast and had no problems. Our room was very clean and so nice and cold. Nothing was better than being in the hot sun all day to come back to our hotel room and have it cleaned and so cold. The hotel itself we thought was very nice it was always clean and the staff worked very hard to keep it that way. The bartenders are great, they are all so happy and exited to serve you. The food was fine, obviously we weren't going to a third world county for the food. There was always a good mix of different foods in the buffet. I would really recomend trying the different restraunts at night it really gives you a nice break from the buffet plus it's fun to get dressed up to go out for dinner at night. The animation team who work by the pool all day and do the shows at night are extremly good. All day at the pool they try and keep everyone entertained and then at 10pm every night they put on a great show. They really work so hard and we thought they were great. We went on two day trips to Saona Island and also the monster truck safari which we both loved. Saona island was the most amazing thing my eyes have ever have seen. It really was just out of a movie that's how spectacular it was. The monster truck safari was really cool because it gave us some history of the Dominican and we got to see how the people live. One thing I didn't like about the monter truck safari was we were shown a cock fight with roosters and I was almost sick I had to get up and leave because I love animals and I couldn't dare to watch them get purposely hurt for entertainment. Also at the cock fight all the roosters were chained to the ground crying which broke my heart so definately that part of the day I did not enjoy. Our tour guide from Sunquest Pedro was such a doll he was always so helpful when it came to any questions that we had. The beach was very nice and clean. A few days we woke up early to grab a beach hut, those go fast because the sun is so strong it's nice to hide under them for awhile. Our maid changed our sheets, cleaned our rooms and also stalked our fridge daily which was so nice to come back to. Overall we had a great trip. I must say I was skeptical from the reviews I read but people it's what you make of the vacation. I would definately recomend this hotel for anyone it was truly amazing and we both wish we were back there.
Cheers!

Stayed June 2006

1,991 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
  • Polish first
Oxfordshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2006

My daughters (23 years and 25 years) and I have just returned from a two week holiday at the Sirenis Cocotal (22nd May 2006) We had a wonderful time - please don't listen to the negative reviews. The holiday is what you make it! We paid £620 per person for a 2 week all inclusive holiday and we all felt it was outstanding value for money. We have paid twice this amount per person to say in other hotels on the DR and yes the food and accommodation were better but you get what you pay for!
The restaurants were excellent and we never had any problems in making a booking to visit them. We only ate in the buffet twice during our stay. The wine wasn't brilliant but there were always other drinks available ie beer, Martini, Rum, Vodka, etc etc. The best restaurants were the Chinese, the Steak House and the Creperie. We never had any problems in getting a sun bed and did not have to pay anyone to reserve one for us. The rooms could do with a little updating but they were always spotlessly clean and our sheets were changed every day. Everyone works very hard sweeping and cleaning and making sure the guests are having a good time. The huge swimming pool was always clean and was very warm. It was cleaned every morning. The beach was lovely, the sea was warm and there are no hard rocks underfoot. Make sure you take plenty of mosquito spray - some people were quite badly bitten by them and other bugs. Don't bring beach towels into your rooms as they pick up sand fleas during the day which can then bite you at night. Always leave them outside on your balcony. We visited the Spa and had some lovely body and facial treatments - far better than we have ever experienced in England. The entertainment staff were fun and happy people doing their best to provide entertainment with their very limited resources. The bar staff were friendly and we had some wonderful cocktails - make sure you try the Rum Punch, a Sirenis Special Cocktail and the Champagne Cocktails! The journey was trouble free with both the airline (My Travel) and the bus transfer which took just over an hour from airport to hotel. Yes - the roads are bumby and have some huge holes but the driver did his absolute best to drive around them to give us a smooth ride. None of us were ill and we knew of no other people who got ill either. Staff did not expect tips and were delighted when we gave them. They only want to be tipped if you feel they have given customers outstanding service. The people who complain about this hotel obviously have no idea how to enjoy themselves and expect far too much for the cost of the holiday. I would definitely return.

• Stayed May 2006
Woodbridge, Ontario Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2006

Just a quick note re: Sirenis Cocotal.
We travelled April 18-25/06 with family friends. We have travelled extensively throughout
caribean for the past twenty years. We were very concerned after booking this holiday to read the negative reviews. We went hoping the comments were from travellers that were too fussy. Anyway, we had an amazing holiday. The cheapest trip we have ever taken. Food was great (we are Italian background) so food was a concern. Pool was awesome. Beach was beautiful. Entertainment was entertaining. Rooms were very clean.
Staff very friendly. Dined at a different specialty restaurant every night, never a problem with reservations (approx. 10 minute wait - NO Big Deal). Lounge chairs that seemed to be
a big problem in the reviews were never an issue, although I was up early to go for an early walk on the beach, but, I never saw anyone upset over chairs. We also took snorkling gear, the coral reef just feet off the beach is awesome the fish are incredible, they love bananas. We took a cheap disposable underwater camera, it was fantastic.

All in all, I have stayed at many others resorts of the same quality and paid $1,000.00 Cdn
more per person. I am already looking forward to our next Sirenis Cocotal Holiday and I am
also going to book my two twenty-something yr old kids, with their friends, to this great affordable holiday spot.

My sugguestion: don't pay any mind to negative travellers. And to the negative travellers,
do us all a favor and stay home.

• Stayed April 2006
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2006

First off, its important to state that I have been to the DR 3 times and my wife 4. Im basically using the other resorts as a gauge for the Serenis Cocotal. We arrived and were placed in a room on the outskirts of the resort even though there were plenty of available rooms. We got this problem resolved quickly enough and were placed in a room much closer to the pool. The pool, grounds and beach in general are excellent. Clean, sandy beaches without any trace of seaweed as you find in some other resorts in the DR.

On the downside, the food and drinks are well below par for a 4 star hotel. The food was very bland and very limited in choice (this is coming from a person who is not a picky eater at all). As for the drinks, the coctails were all the same except for the colour (completely tasteless) ...hope you like beer.

The experience was satisfactory considering we got a good deal on the trip but it is a real stretch calling the Serenis Cocotal a 4.5 star resort.

Stayed April 2006
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2006

I stayed at the Sirenis, with my wife, for 10 days. Rooms are clean, but due to the fact that the resort was fully booked, every second day, we had to call the front desk, at 5 p.m. because our room wasn't made. Also the food variety was not to our liking ( not just us, many people were disappointed ). No umbrellas or chairs to lie-down on the beach, and when you find any, they are broken. Staff very courteous.
Unfortunately my first and last time at the Sirenis.

• Stayed March 2006
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2006

We spent two weeks at the Sirenis Cocotal and loved every minute of it. The flight out was awful with a two hour delay at Manchester and an unfortunate two hour delay at Bermuda when a passenger was taken ill. We wished we had upgraded to 1st class. The transfer from La Romana was two hours and yes it's bumpy! However, all of this was soon forgotten on arrival at the Hotel where we were swiftly checked in and handed a cold drink.
Our room was a good size with a balcony and air con/fan. Make sure you put any valuables in the safe, it's worth the small charge for this. We always left a small tip for the maid and she cleaned every day, sometimes leaving nice floral displays on the bed and extra drinks in the mini bar.
The Hotel Grounds are pleasant and very well maintained and all communal toilets are cleaned continually throughout the day.
The pool was fantastic with two swim up bars. The old sun loungers were in the process of being replaced while we were there. Most loungers get taken in the morning but there were always seats available outside the restaurants. We usually managed to get loungers in the afternoon.
The beach was good, nice walking either side but be prepared to be approached by vendors of arts and crafts. Haggle with them for a bargain, they will roll pictures up to go on plane. Watch out for the coral in the sea and sometimes it can be choppy.
The Buffet restaurant was very good, plenty of choice eg: pasta, rice, chips, potatoes, lots of different veg, soup, choice of meat, fish, cheese, bread and pastries/cakes. Breakfast choose from cereal and toast, croissants, yoghurts, bacon and eggs or freshly made omelettes.
Speciality restaurants: We lined up at 8am usually only for 10 minutes and managed to get in all of them at least once with no problem. Least favourite was the Vegetarian, Soya meatballs were actually mashed up chick peas and very sickly! Steakhouse was dissapointing but this partly due to bad choice of starter. Our favourites were Mexican, Italian, Creperie, Chinese and Seafood. We paid the extra for the A La Carte on our last night, the food was very good but service not great and restaurant lacked atmosphere (the Seafood restaurant was just as good but with better service).
We did'nt have a problem getting served at the bars. It's nice to sit and have the waitresses bring your drinks, we always tipped them and they were very friendly and attentive.
We used the gym which was good, had some great massages both in the Spa and on the beach. Also played tennis and had a go at archery and shooting. Recreation centre opens at 10am and is quieter then, we had several games of pool in the morning. It gets busy later on. Watch out for mosi's in here, I got bitten several times so put bug spray on.
We went on four trips: Swimming with Sharks was good, however the Aquatic Safari was even better with fantastic snorkelling and speed boats. Our guide really looked after us so we tipped him generously. Tropical Trekking was good, you don't have to be an expert as the horses were very placid. Went for a nice trek along the beach and into countryside with a halfway stop for fresh coconuts. The Outback Safari was a great day out, very educational and fun too. Good to see how the local people live and learn about their lives. Boogie boarding at the end was great fun!
Overall incredibly good value for money and a fantastic holiday.

• Stayed March 2006
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2006

My sister and I went to this hotel from April 6-13, 2006 and absolutely loved it. After reading some of the reviews, I don't know what some people are expecting out of a third world country, but we had very little to complain about. The hotel itself, which is joined with the Sirenis Tropical, is a huge compound. We met a couple who took a helicopter ride of the area, said it was the largest hotel there was. The beach was beautiful, not pure white, a bit on the brown side, but very nice. The water was a little rough but warm. The rooms were comfortable, slept great every night, we had an amazing view facing the pool and the beach on the ground floor, we were in the "G" building. We tried the Mexican restaurant the one night, and proceeded to the main buffet after, as it was not very good. We did not like the A La Carte booking process, so we ate at the main buffet every day. It had a different theme every night, plus the pasta bar, which I loved. Breakfast was also great with plenty to choose from, with an omelette bar as well. We ate at the buffet by the pool at lunch, also good. My sister is a picky eater and we both gained 5 pounds on the trip so we definately found food to eat,(and drinks). The drinks were awesome too, so many to choose from! We mostly had Coco Locos, Sirenis Especials, Pina Coladas, and the lemon with rum,(which is actually a lime slush) and great by itself at the beach, very refreshing. We did go to 3 of the shows at night, and they were entertaining. I was in the Miss Sirenis contest the one night and had a blast. The staff work very hard to keep everyone happy. I talked to one of the activities and entertainment guys and he works a long day. He starts at 9am at the pool, and his day ends at 11pm at the theatre, with 3 hours off in the middle. Thats a long day of trying to keep you entertained!! So I think they deserve a lot more credit than some people give them. We went to the disco 2 nights which was fun, but you do have to pay for your drinks, $4.00 each. My suggestion is to drink lots before you go at the theatre and if you have a couple at the disco, it's not that much. The weather was great too, but definately put sunscreen on. The day before we left it rained all day, which was a nice break from the sun. There was all kinds of things to do in the Lobby to keep everyone busy. We did one excursion, The Bavaro Runners,$80, well worth the money, all day event and definately recommend. Try to remember to bring something for the local children on this excursion, we forgot and felt so guilty. One family had 12 children living in one little shack! Books, crayons, treats, they appreciate anything. Make sure you bring an alarm clock with you as there is not one in the room. If your excursion or flight leaves early, it will definately come in handy. We will be returning to this hotel in February, that's how much we enjoyed it.

• Stayed April 2006

Been to Sirenis Cocotal Beach Resort Casino & Aquagames? Share your experiences!