“10 out 10” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sirenis Punta Cana Resort Casino & Aquagames

Save Saved
You added Sirenis Punta Cana Resort Casino & Aquagames to your Saves list
Sirenis Punta Cana Resort Casino & Aquagames
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playas Uvero Alto | Macao Beach, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #68 of 100 Hotels in Punta Cana
manchester
“10 out 10”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2009

Went to sirenis last year,arrived to a cocktail receptin for everyone,fantastic room,layout everything superb.Animation team made freinds with us on 1st morning and kept us all entetained for 2 weeks,Spaghetti,Will Young,James Bond ad all the others were great.
The beach and pool areas were spotless Food excellent varied and well cooked. All the staff were so freindly the mini skirted waitresses beautiful. We made freinds from around the world all of whom we are still in touch with. A fantastic holiday, I would go back tomorrow but will have to wait until my wife dragged me to other lesser resorts.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (385)
  • Polish first
Northallerton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2009

7 amazing restuarants and bars galore filled with staff that will make your stay there fantastic. Have 2 say Melvin,Kelvin and Ciboa made may holiday all staff that bent over backwards to help and serve me in every possible way. I went with my pregnant girlfriend and we had so much fun. The food is varied and very good, the pool was fantastic with loads of activities constantly. The hotels entertainment team was unbelievable the theatre shows were nothing less then brilliant. I will return soon it was without doubt my best experience of a holiday.

Prescott, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2009

We stayed at the Sirenis Nov 28- Dec 12 with our friends Stephanie and Ian. We travelled with Westjet Vacations and had a great flight The drive to the hotel only took 45 minutes as there seems to have been lots of road work done in the area and there are also a lot of new condos being built including one right next to the hotel. The hotel was already decorated for Christmas and by the second week, the staff were getting quite festive with their santa hats.

As this was our third stay at this hotel, we were able to take advantage of the Sirenis VIP Club program which entitled us to champagne in the room, a fruit plate and bottle of rum, robes and slippers and the best was the free dinner in the Gourmet restaurant which was a nice change from the buffet. One thing that should be mentioned is that you have to leave a deposit for the safe. The safe is $3US per night and is paid at checkin along with a deposit of $50US so for a 2 week stay they charge $95US but you get the $50US back at checkout...not sure why they have the deposit since you are paying up front for the safe.

Since we were last there in 2006, they have been renovating the rooms and have added a couple of buildings on the main walkway, not sure what they are for and were adding onto the restaurant on the Tropical side by the pool. We were also pleased that there was WiFi internet..$10 for a 24 hour period or $50 for a week.

The food was great, lots of selection, we booked the Jade a la carte and it was exceptional but go hungry and they serve a lot of food. We had great servers in the buffet, the best of whom was a great girl called Mirian. Additional staff were being trained the last day we were there in preparation of the opening of the buffet on the Tropical side since it is closed when the hotel is not full.

We spent most of the time at the beach as there was always a nice breeze there compared to the pool. You can walk a long way in either direction with no close hotels. The snorkelling was not very good while we were there as the waves churned up the sand too much but you could still see lots of fish and feed them bread/buns/bananas. You have to get up early if you want to get a good palapas as many have seen better days and they definitely need some work done on them.

This was a good time to visit as the hotel was not filled to capacity so there were no lineups to make reservations and it was not filled with students as mentioned in earlier reviews. Most of the guests seemed to be from Europe and the UK.

Already planning next years trip to the Sirenis and wish we were still there as its been really cold since we got home.

Hope Doris and her husband from Sudbury enjoyed the champagne and the rest of their vacation.

ottawa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2009

My friend and I stayed at the Sirenis Cocotal from Dec. 5 to 16 - My review is based on a comparison from last year same dates but stayed at the Palladium.
We both (in our 50's) preferred the beach at the Cocotal, more chairs, longer and wider beach, very close to the pool and restaurant for lunch.
Our only complaint is the spa and gym - we visited and turned right back.
The staff, service is incredible. The animation team - what a job they do, day and night.
Do not miss the shows, for amateurs they are really good.
The food - it is ok but we compared it to last year - so if this had been our first trip we would have found it to be excellent but it was good and we were not sick. It is however an hour from the airport so book your transportation if not included as it is 70 US one way
If you go on tours, make sure the guide speaks the language you booked the tour - we happened to book a trip to Santo Domingo and the tour was not even in spanish, french or english. We were really disappointed. We also went on another trip where they want to sell you pictures and video. We did not pay waited for the delivery as they promised to our hotel the next day, never got it. However some couples paid $$$ in Us and never got them either. We were lucky. So beware of these.
Overall - fantastic
MS

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with friends
Cirencester, Gloucestershire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2009

My boyfirend and I stayed at the Sirenis Tropical Suites from 2-9 deember this years and it was very nice.

We travelled with Thoams Cook and yes there are always things that could have been better, for starters my seat didn't recline on the way there (which I mentioned to the cabin crew and then again it didn;t recline on the way back, which wasn;t nice for a night flight, but not the end of the world!

Flight was on time, both ways, which was great and the trasnfer from the airport tot he hotel was roughly an hour, which was very scenic!

Upon arrival, there was about 150 of us checking in to the 2 hotels (Tropical and Cocotal) but it was very quick and you got a freshing fruit cocktail. luggage arrived to our room very quickly and the bell boy didnt even hang around for a tip!

We were in room I001, I block which is inbetween the pool and beach on the tropical side. The room was an average size, they could make it bigger by not having 2 rooms; one for the bedroom and the other for the living room, but then they couldn't call it a 'suite'!
It had 2 double beds, room and towels cleaned and changed daily, the maids will put drinking water in the mini bar in a big 3-4 litre size bottle which is good.

The restaurant was nice, lots of choice, egg man in the morning, grill and pasta guys in the evening. We have to use the Cocotal side restaurant as the Tropical recption and restaurant wasn't open, but it was nice as the hotel wasn't too busy, wouldn't want to imagine it any busier as there would be no sunbeds!
We ate in Jade, the Japenese show cooking restaurant, which was lovely...don't pig out on the food in the late afternoon as the courses are huge! The mexican wasn't that great, I had beef fajitas which were ok, but Tescos ones are better! :)
The steak house was closed and we didn't sample the seafood restaurant.

All in all it was a really nice holiday, I would definately recommend Christmas time, as the weather was beauitful, only rained twice, which was a nice escape from the sun...never thought I'd say that! The hotel was nicely decorated in festive trimmings and all the staff were wearing Santa hats!

I would definately go back to the Domincan, maybe not to this hotel as there are so many out there, but I would stay in the chain again!

We didn't stay around the pool much, as there was the entertainment and lots of Americans propping up the swin up bars! One thing I would say is that is you want a nice bit on the beach, i.e a quite bit to the side, you have to get up early (about 8am) and put your towel down! Alot of people who did that didn't rock up until 11am!
The beach was nice, really nice breeze, so wasn't too hot, beware of the locals trying to sell you painting etc if you walk either left or right down the beach though!

Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2009

I traveled solo to Sirenis Tropical from Dec. 2nd to Dec. 13th. This was my 2nd trip to Sirenis having stayed there for 10 days in July 2008 and again I had a great time. For the 2nd straight time I booked the hotel and flight separately via Skyauction and USA 3000.

As you arrive in Punta Cana you will be immediately struck by the temperature as you walk down the steps of the plane and lined up to enter the terminal. As other reviewers have noted when you file into the terminal you pause to have your picture taken with a couple of local girls in Dominican festive attire. This was painless as each picture took about 10 seconds and you have the option to purchase it on your return for $9. You pay $10 for an entry card, which you immediately give to another agent about 10 feet away. Then you precede through immigration where you show your passport and hand them the pre-filled custom form. Also as previous noted you are greeted by local musicians who will slide a basket over for a tip- I dropped in a $1 but did not feel any pressure to do so. I collected my luggage, when as luck would have it was the last ones off the carousel, and preceded out to the transfer area.

I arranged a private transfer to and from the airport via IBKServicios and was happy to see a representative holding up a sign with the company's logo affixed. The rep introduced me to my driver who did not speak much English and was led to my taxi. I was surprised to see the vehicle was a mini-van as I was the only passenger. The ride took about 40 minutes and you get a first hand account of some of the poverty experienced by the Dominicans. The ride in the air-conditioned van was comfortable and the driver did his best to point out some of the other resorts we passed along the way.

Upon arrival the baggage porter met the taxi and took them to the registration desk. There was no line so check in was quick. I had requested an oceanview room which had not been cleaned (it was about 4:30). I was given my wrist band and pointed to the lobby bar to have a drink. No problem, I had packed swim trunks and beach shoes in my carry-on. I went to the rest room off the lobby and changed, put my carry-on with my other bags in the lobby and preceded to the pool bar for my first drink.

I had a couple of MaiTais and return to the front desk about an hour later. My room was ready and I was given keys and told my luggage would be delivered. I grab my carry-on and preceded to my room. I was in room 103 in S Bldg. The air-conditioner was on and was a welcome reprieve from the outside temperature. The suite-type room had two double beds in the sleeping area and the living room had a small wicker sofa, a wicker chair and small refrigerator stocked with beer, pop and a gallon of water. The view from the balcony made this room in my opinion the 2nd best room in the resort. The tropical side of pool was directly below me and on my left side was an clear view of the ocean. The best room in the resort was right next to me S102 because it had a better view of the ocean.

I cannot say enough about the level of service I received. Everyone from the groundskeepers who were always working, to housekeeping (thanks a bunch to Lilian who always left me extra water after my initial request to do so) to the bartenders and wait staff at the buffet and ala carte restuarants.

The breakfast buffet was very good with the omette and egg station. I was able to order an egg white omette daily, though I was surprise to see the chef separate the yolk in his hand. I ate lunch most days at the beach grill. The grilled chicken was delectable.

You are allowed to make reservations at two of the ala carte restaurants a week. However since the place was only half full I was able to eat at the one of the ala cartes eight of the 11 nites I was there. I ate twice at Jade the Japanese restaurant and would highly recommend it, but would avoid the sushi rolls served as appetizers as they were not fresh. The chicken, beef and shrimp was cooked to perfection by our chef Franciso. I had a good meal one of the two times I went to the Seafood place, the Grouper was tasty my first visit, but on my 2nd visit the lobster in the seafood casserole was overcooked. The sirloin steak at the steakhouse was tender and flavorable. However the meals at the Mexican and Italian restaurants were only fair. I had the cannelloni at the Italian and the beef stuffed inside had very little flavor. I cannot recommend neither the tacos or fajitas I had at my two visits to the Mexican restaurants.

Given the low occupancy you did not have any trouble finding a lounge chair or canopy at the beach. However, if you wanted a canopy in the pool area you had to get up early. Since my room overlooked the pool I could see people reserving them before 7:00.

The Entertainment staff was always busy with activities on the Cocotal side of the pool that included dance lessons, aerobics, volley ball, etc. You were encourage to participate but was not pressure to do so. The same entertainment staff would regroup to put on the nightly shows. They have unbelievable energy. I did not go to many of the nightly shows as they did not appear to be different from last year.

The small casino which consisted of slot machines, a couple of blackjack tables and a roulette wheel was never busy. I did not go to the disco, but in conversation with other guests it was never crowded. In fact several guests took taxis to nightclubs in Punta Cana (mangu, imagine, etc.).

I did not go on any excursions as I had gone on several last year and only wanted to relax by the pool and drink this year.

I would rate this hotel a 3.5 to 4 on a 6-star scale but believe it was a very good value for the money. I would recommend it for families and couples who just want to relax. If you are young and want a nightlife this is not the best place for you. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled solo
Manchester
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2009

I want to start off this review positively and say that my partner and myself did have a fantastic holiday here, however, I wouldn't put this down to anything other than the fact that we made it that way ourselves. All we wanted from this holiday was to relax, sunbathe and spend quality time together - which is what we did.

The pool area and beach for us were great and this is where we spent most of our time during the day. We aren't too keen on having sand in our pants so we opted for the sunloungers on the poolside (which were better cushioned than the beach sunloungers) and we found a spot which was right on the edge so we had a constant breeze all day long. There were always plenty of sunloungers and the size of the area in which you can sunbathe is vast so you can be as close or as far away from the daily entertainment as you like. We were warned at our 'Welcome meeting' by the Thomas Cook rep that if you leave your towels on the sunloungers, there is the chance that they may be taken by other people. The reason being is that when you arrive at the hotel and check-in, they give a towel card to each person and if they are lost then you have to pay $20 to replace it. If someone has lost their card, they may be inclined to steal someone elses towel in order to avoid the fine so be warned...

Now, we both work in the travel industry and have done for a number of years. My partner has been working overseas for approx 13 years and myself for 6 years so we are accustomed to all of the ways in which different things operate and the standards to expect etc. This is a hinderance and also a help as far as our enjoyment is concerned as there are some things that we can completely ignore and accept and other things we are very critical of. So, in no particular order, we have come up with the following pieces of information that we think as travellers and potential visitors to not only this hotel, but the Dominican Republic in general, will help:

1: Airport - have the correct change for your import tax. $10 per person. Just makes it a lot quicker when you are going through. BEWARE, of the airport porters who try to help you with your cases. If you need help then fair enough but be prepared to tip them. They aren't doing it to be helpful, they are doing it to get paid. The airport is only small and once you have your luggage, it isn't too far to the coach park so just say 'no gracias' and do it yourself.

2: Tipping - we aren't big drinkers so weren't too bothered about having a constant flow of drinks being served to us by the pool or in the bars in the evening. If you are, however, tip the bar staff a dollar or 2 at the start of your holiday, and they are your best friends for the duration of your stay. We tipped a couple of bar staff at the end who were always friendly and courteous, just a couple of dollars each but they do appreciate it. We also tipped our cleaning lady after the 1st week of the holiday, $5. She cleaned the room every day and made the bed and must have noticed that I drank a lot of water so always made sure we had another bottle waiting for when the other was empty. We tipped one of the guest services staff, Jhonatan (yes, this was how it was spelt on his name badge) at the end because he had been the best member of staff we came across. Guest services are the people who book the A la Carte restaurants for you and he was always smiling and always came to say 'hi' whenever and wherever he saw us. The only other person we tipped was the chef in El Jade (the Oriental A la Carte) as he did a fantastic job and for us, was more entertaining than some of the shows the entertainers did in the evenings. We went twice to this restaurant and tipped him $2 on both occassions. Don't feel obliged to tip everyone, unless you want to be treated like royalty and end up completely legless...

3: Entertainment - we didn't get involved with any of the organised entertainment that went on during the day but that was entirely our preferance and choice. If you want to get involved then there is a lot for you to take part in. Some physical and others just plain fun (drinking games were comical to watch and usually mainly consisted of us Brits - great!). Some of the evening shows were okay but overall we found them to be pretty poor. I must point out though that again, going back to our experience in the industry and having been to some amazing shows around the world, we were probably being very critical. They do have to cater for an international audience and bearing this in mind, they can only do so much. The main compare (Will Smith) was excellent as he spoke English, Spanish and French all of the time so he stood out for us as being the best out of all the team. Hats off to the entertainment staff though as they work long hours and do a fantastic job (in some areas at least).

4: A la Carte restaurants - very simply, POOR! The only restaurant worth a visit is El Jade. We went to the Mexican, Italian, Seafood and Oriental and were extremely disappointed in the quality of all of them, except the Oriental. We did book the Steakhouse but on booking, the guest services guy, didn't advise us that it was being staged in the Mexican restaurant and not the Steakhouse itself. We saw that there was work going on during the day on the Steakhouse building, but there were still signs up pointing in that direction (manual directions as well as the official boards). The same evening we came across our friend Jhonatan who we told about our missing out on the restaurant and low and behold the following day walking to the pool, what did we see...new signs up pointing to the Mexican and advertising the Steakhouse! We didn't miss out on food that evening as we just went into the main buffet but we were a little miffed at the poor customer service. We hope Jhonatan gave the other guy an ear full on our behalf...

5: Standard of food - overall, it was only satisfactory. We weren't expecting great things as we are familiar with what kind of food hotels offer to international guests. There was always choice but it was quite repetitive. I was particularly disappointed in the fruit for breakfast in the mornings. The quality was quite poor and not always fresh looking. There wasn't much of a varied selection either and being a huge fruit eater, this was a big let down for me. The bread, more often than not, was stale. This being the bread that was located near the toasters at each end of the buffet. The bread rolls were okay but again, I had a couple that were stale. I must also say that they completely overcook most kinds of fish that they offer. There are some fish that I know, need to be cooked through, however, there are others that are far better and tastier when served a little undercooked/raw. This is a matter of taste only.

6: Dress code - I only want to mention that if you want to dress casually all of the time, both during the day and evening, you'll feel very comfortable as this is how the majority of people dress. As a couple, we both like to dress a bit smarter in the evenings. I'm not talking ballgowns and tuxedos, but I like to wear a nice little dress and my partner, a funky shirt and jeans. I did get a few odd looks (maybe they were admirable glances, at least I'd like to think so, hehe) because I had made the effort but this again, just comes down to personal preference. If you like to dress up then I say, go for it!

7: Trips - we booked the Saona Island excursion through the hotel. It was $90 for a full day trip (the same price was charged with Thomas Cook) and for us, we found that it was worth it. We chose to go with the hotel because we could go anyday and through Thomas Cook, we were restricted to a choice of 2 days. The only criticism I have is that when we booked it, we weren't told that we would be taken by minibus to a central point in a nearby town, where we would be met by another coach which we would have to transfer on to. Had we been told this, it wouldn't have been such a shock when it happened, and we were sat waiting for half an hour in the middle of what we expect was a typical shanty town. There were a couple of children trying to get our attention whilst we were sat waiting, with the intention of begging for money (which they did do when we finally got out of the minibus to get onto the coach). My partner did his best to reassure me that we were perfectly safe, however, as a 5ft nothing, 6 stone wet through, blonde petite female, I felt a little on the vulnerable side. The actual trip was great fun though. A catamaran to the beautiful island, a couple of hours sunbathing on the white sands of Saona and then a speedboat back to the main island, stopping at a natural pool for 30 minutes to let you have the last feel of the true Caribbean sea. There are drinks and food provided also so as long as you have some breakfast at your hotel in the morning, you should be fine for the duration of the day. Just take a drink for the coach.

8: Topless bathing - if like me, you don't do strap marks, don't feel that you can't go topless around the pool and on the beach. In the first couple of days I didn't see anyone else doing it so I decided not to. I then asked the rep and she said that on the beach it was fine and around the pool it's not prohibited but it is frowned on. Well, I decided that I would test the water and bring on the frowns as nothing is worse than having strap marks when you're wearing a nice outfit. I live in Mallorca, just outside of Magalluf, so I am not shy when it comes to sunbathing topless but I know that for some nationalities, it isn't a common thing. Basically, if you want to sunbathe with your boobs out, do it!

9: Beach - if like us, you want a romantic stroll down the beach, be warned, there are people trying to sell you stuff. They can be quite in your face (not in an aggresive way) but they do like to shake your hand and ask you your name and be all nicey with you, in attempt to get you into their little huts to have a look at their things. We obliged, but only once (we were taught our lesson after this experience) and as we are both sales people, we were quite firm on saying no to all of their sales patter and refusing the free gifts that they tried to palm us off with. They know that most people along the beach are All-inclusive so don't carry around money with them and this is your only saving grace really. Milk that excuse as much as you can because we just told them that we would return later on, just to get out of there. Enjoy the walk along the beach as it is beautiful, but just be prepared...

10: Star rating - this is a bit of a stab in the dark as far as we're concerned, as every continent has different standards. It was a 4* hotel rating and also a 4* tour operator rating. We would class it more as a 3*, by Spanish standards. For us, it was more like a middle of the road standard. I used to work in a 4* hotel in Mallorca and the food and entertainment in particular, were far better than in the Sirenis. However, we booked the holiday 2 days before we went so we didn't pay the brochure price, we got quite a good deal in one of the Thomas Cook travel shops. If we had paid more, we wouldn't have been as satisfied.

So, overall (yes, thankfully, I have almost finished) we did enjoy our time here. If you go with an open mind and don't expect much, you won't be disappointed. It is ideal for those who just want to go away for a couple of weeks and chill out. We didn't leave the complex, other than to go on the trip, so for us it was ideal. It is out of the way of everything so if you like to go out and explore, this isn't the place for you. The cocktails, in particular the Sirenis and Daiquris, were great. There is a huge menu of cocktails so give them a go. I was quite partial to the rum aswell - with coke or pineapple juice, yum! In the brochure it says that some International brands are included but we didn't see any at all. You don't need them though in all honesty. We were very lucky with the weather whilst we were there (25 Nov-9 Dec). There were a couple of days towards the end of our holiday when it rained, but it never lasted long. We spoke to the rep and he said that he had had some guests complaining because it was raining. Our advice would be to go on one of the trips out of the hotel and see how lucky you are compared to the poverty that a lot of Dominicans have to live in every single day. I think you will appreciate that a little rain on your holiday isn't actually that bad. Try living in a little hut with 5 other people and see if rain really is worth getting upset about!

We probably wouldn't go back but mainly because there are other places in the world that we would like to visit. If we were to return to the Dominican Republic, we would choose a 5* complex and probably, a little further South. I didn't realise that there are some parts of the island (North and East) where the sea isn't actually the Caribbean, it's the Pacific. I may sound a bit dim as this might be common knowledge to some but I was quite surprised to learn this whilst out on our trip. Bayahibe is in the South so this is where we would look to go to if we were to go back.

We hope this helps - enjoy!!!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Sirenis Punta Cana Resort Casino & Aquagames? Share your experiences!