“Great family Vacation October 31-November 7 2008” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sirenis Punta Cana Resort Casino & Aquagames

You added Sirenis Punta Cana Resort Casino & Aquagames to your Saves list
Sirenis Punta Cana Resort Casino & Aquagames
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playas Uvero Alto | Macao Beach, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #69 of 102 Hotels in Punta Cana
toronto ontario
“Great family Vacation October 31-November 7 2008”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2008

Okay where to start ,well We were a family of 5 travelling together for the very first time and all the places I have been and travelled to I must say this was by far the very best food I have ever had in the carribien I have been to Dreams Punta Cana, Holquin Cuba, and San Andres and then here this year!! It is stunning beutiful grounds very well kept vegatation. Easy acess to everything never a far walk anywhere, loved the lay out you would never know there were two resorts in one other than the reception area has two seperate check in check out counters.
Room: Was very clean and plenty big enough with a huge sliding closet with large shelves to pack away your clothes we had 2 adult clothing and 2 children clothing organized and fit perfectly with room to spare. The bathroom was a good size the tub rather small but did the trick one thing "no plug to be found" there was rust on the floor under the tub but was very clean and could not be removed. There was not a face cloth anywhere on this resort so you need to pack your own. For those who love a hard bed this would be heaven, as the beds are very very hard and are doubles not queens nothing like a snuggle lol
Pool: Pool runs along the ocean from left to right it is huge very shallow at both ends then travel along waist deep once you go under a bridge on both sides it is very deep be prepared with the non swimmers.The pool was being fixed while we were there it did need some work where the tiles were missing but because its one huge pool no one would want the pooll closed on there holiday so I was very glad to see them working around us.The Cocotal side is louder that is where the animation team has contests, pool volleyball, bocce ball ect. Very fun if you want to get involved and listen to the louder music and mingle but if you want quieter then the otherside is less rowdy we loved both sides and a bonus both sides have a swim up bar!!!! PERFECT
Beach: Very big it deep and long just perfect lots of shade cabanas to go under and lots of choice the right side of the resort has a hut for shopping beware of your youngsters my 16 yr old went there alone and was offered drugs and the younger men there were asking my daughter to meet with them or go for a walk!! I went back with her to make her purchases and there was no talk of anything that time!!! I no this happens everywhere and the hut looks part of the resort but It is not.
Resturants: We ate at the steakhouse it was wonderful we had chicken wings as an appy and ribs as a main course with bake potato very very good. Italian we went to twice they had a appy's buffet aswell with real parm cheese and the best brusetta I have ever had in my life!!lasagne was excellent and if you like ground beef the cataloni was very good, I also had the ricotta and spinch ravioli it was amazing if you like your pasta al dente like me I was in heaven the speggetti looked good my kids loved it, , and then Japanesse which was a great show gergous appy's at the buffet beforehand and he did a yummy chicken, steak, rice, and veggies then offered shrimp and tofu to those who were interested and you got a little something of everything on your plate fanastic.
Buffet dinner was fanastic a huge variety to roasted whole chickens veggies in cheese sauce the best brussel sprouts in a white cream sause lots of rices bake potatoes and every single day a pasta bar. The choice varied nightly and was incredable travelling with a 7 year old with autism, a nine year old boy and a 16 year old girl and two adults we all always found plenty to eat the food was out of this world specacular!!
Lunch: Two choices beach grill with jumbo bbq hot dogs, hamburgers, fries, jerk chicken to die for and all the trimmings!!!
Lunch buffet: icecream machine had vanilla, and choc van twist ,and then just chocolate and then nachos and cheese was a hit. Also they made incredible crepes there fresh for you they were such a yummy treat. Along with a whole hot and cold buffet changeing daily oh yes one more thing fresh buns meats and cheeses with a panini press grill to make your own gergous sandwiches!!!
The night buffet opened at 11 it was simple a few desserts with fresh fruit and a few hot items every night different this was a good place to get a delicious piece of heavenly chocolate cake that my husband craved nightly..lol
WE had a blast we loved every minute of the vacation something for everyone the kids did enjoy the kids club which ran from 10-12 then 3-5 but we enjoyed haveing the kids with us so much they did not go everyday and only once they went both morning and afternoon. My little guy loved the video games while my 7 year old enjoyed face paintings and the crafts they also had fabric paint where the decorated there own t-shirts.
The animation team never stopped there were there at 10 a.m. and you saw them till 12 midnight daily. I have no idea where they get there energy and spunk all day everyday especially in the heat.It averaged 93 daily it was very hot and that sun beamed down without a cloud in the sky. We did run out of sunscreen and iit was a disqusting 40$ american for 2 bottles so bring lots and land lots. I had read of the misquitoes ok well my whole family went without a bite but me I have about 30 on my legs in total makes no sense you did not really see them or feel them till it was to late, it must be my british blood they loved!!! Three of us did the dophins with sharks and mantarays which was wonderful but was 110.00 a person and my husband and youngest did the dunebuggy sold on the beach by the pool and there were disappointed at 60$ each they were told they would have all this fun and go to a cave they never did no fault of the hotel though..also we did a one hour horse back riding which was wonderful and a great family experience oly 25 dollars a person We had a great vacation wonderful 7 days I would go back in a heart beat but as I only travel once a year i need to go somewhere new everytime...lol I would highly recomend this as a destination for all ages. If I have forgot anything please just drop me a line I would love to answer all your questions!!!

• Liked — The pool and food
  • Disliked — The hard double beds
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (402)
  • Polish first
England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2008

Sirenis Cocotal Beach Resort  Punta Cana

October 13th - 27th 2008

We had a fantastic holiday at Sirenis Cocotal in 2006 but this time not so good.The hotel has dropped from a 5* to a questionable 4* now and it was evident in the apprearance of many public areas and service levels.

Replacing the central water features with grass and flowers helped remove some mosquitos from the evening walk to the bars. The gardens are a magnificent example of what it was in 2006.

Our pre-booked room was excellent and the cleaning service first class. Food was well  presented, adequate and plentiful at all outlets, bars were good and the Italian and Japaneese theme restaurants were exceptional and worth a visit..

All the table service staff were very pleasant and attentive, not so their supervisory staff who seemed somewhat remote from general guest contact and needs.

Reception and cashier staff were fairly ordinary, understaffed and not too bothered about helping in any way that interrupted their chatter. TIP - Pay the deposit for safety boxes in dollars else you get 2000 Pesos (£40)back on your last day.

Do not hesitate to contact IRIS the first class customer services manager who seems to be the only management member with any idea about customer satisfaction. This lovely lady 's staff organised a super small celebration for our wedding anniversary in the Italian theme restaurant.

Beach and pool facilites were excellent and loungers plentiful, pool bar staff are the best on site. Pool towel room ran out of returned towel cards on last day so towels had to be taken to the reception check out.

Check hotel charges very carefully especially the spa/beauty treatments if you have discount options on any facilities that you use though the VIP Club membership.

In addition to some sewage smells around the conference centre the main complaint is that local Dominicans descend on Friday afternoons until Sunday evenings and take over most of the hotel facilities, bars, pool and restaurant queues, thats the time to take an excursion.

Due to the My Travel takeover last yeat we had to travel with Thomas Cook Airlines - late departure as normal, lack of any company communications, poor in flight service and local Representatives were of rather poor quality - come back Airtours.

One exciting  incident was the visiting fire eating cabaret act setting light to a palm roofed maintenance hut and seeing the staff putting the fire out with hand extinguishers, water in pots from the pool and a fire hose that was short and did not work.

Recommend and return:- Not until 5*  quality is re-instated.

Likes: Garden setting, pool and beach

Dislikes: Poor service from reception /cashier staff, locals taking over at weekends, felt like UK holiday camp with sun.

• Liked — Room - beach and food
  • Disliked — Mediocre management, public areas in need of sprucing up, locals at weekends
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
staffordshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2008

Just arrived back from 2 weeks at sirenis . The hotel was set in picturesque gardens. Its reception had a marbelled floor with easy chairs and sofas. All rooms were kept clean and replenished with towels and drinks daily. We were there for our wedding and we had a wonderful day thanks to Rachel and the guest services staff. The photos and dvd we had were of a good quality.
We did not have any trouble with communication . The buffet restaurant offered quite a good choice , but we felt that for younger children the choice was limited. There were a choice of themed restaurants , which we found the Italian , and Oriental the best.
The hotel purifies its own water so you can drink the water and have ice cubes in your drinks .
The entertainment was good but the dances were quite similar.
The Sirenis is in peaceful location with picturesque views and we would gladly visit again.

• Liked — Picturesque surrounding , peaceful location , good food , great weather
  • Disliked — time to reach from airport
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
COLCHESTER
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2008

Booked with Direct Holidays part of Thomas Cook.
What a wonderful experience we had. A party of 4
adults all inclusive with Excellent service, First Class food,
we all would suggest that if you haven't been make this complex a must do holiday. How people could ever complain beggers any understanding we have. We went on a week when the British kids were still at school apart from the last couple of days and it was great. However only the one thing did upset us was the conduct of the British ( and I must say Northern) kids conduct in the self service restuarants and the lack of control by parents.
But don't let that put you off. The Thomas Cook staff were very good and we have never before experienced such friendly and helpful staff from a hotel.

• Liked — Clean, Large appartments (2 double beds in each) overall size approx 27' * 16'
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2008

Having read so many reviews before my trip to the Dominican Republic, I wanted to add my own insight into the hotel as a lot of what I'd read before going was fairly conflicting.
I stayed at the Cocotal Beach Resort for 2 weeks in October with my partner. Following a rather long transfer to the hotel (approx. 1hr 30 mins from the airport) we arrived...!
First of all, the hotel itself is lovely. The grounds are very well kept and clean, and you'll see gecko lizards, and the odd tarantula (I kid you not!). All the public areas are polished regularly, although my partner found that the mosquito repellant she used reacted with the polish they use on the seats and discoloured her sandals and feet. Reception offer a decent enough service - their English is reasonable and I didn't have any communication problems.The grounds just outside the hotel are beautiful as well, although I'd advise anyone to avoid using the small parade of shops on the complex, as although they are well-stocked, they are very expensive - but if you forgot to buy mosquito repellant, or need some medication, you're left with little choice. Souvenirs are best purchased elsewhere, again due to price,
The complex is actually divided into two 'sides' - the Beach Resort (the subject of this review) and the Tropical Suites. Both share the same facilities, the only difference being the rooms - the Tropical Suites are far larger and superior; the Cocotal rooms are at best mediocre. Ours was not dirty, as such, but the bathroom was in need of updating and the quality of the room itself was shabby. Nonetheless, we only used the room to chill out and sleep - literally, because the air conditioning was very good - and watch a bit of TV. The channels are mostly American, so if you're not a late-night person, or fancy an early one, there are plenty of things on. There is also a mini-bar - stocking non-alcoholic drinks only (we had mineral water, Sprite and Coca Cola). There are upgrade 'packages' available - for varying amounts, you can have room service, a fully alcoholic mini-bar and various other facilities - we didn't bother with these. Cleaning / maid service was very good and we had no problems getting extra fresh towels and extra soft drinks on request.
The pool and beach were both lovely - the pool is enormous, but can become quite crowded. Having two pool bars was quite nice, but neither of them were particularly clean (one of them had an ant infestation) and some characters decided to empty the remnants of their unwanted drinks into the pool (this may say more about the guests than the hotel though!). The beach was quieter, and had its own bar together with waiter service. I'm not sure if the waiter service was the result of a nice tip or all part of the package; I suspect the former.
I've read a lot of conflicting things about the food, but personally, I can't see how anyone was ill due to the food - because none of it was undercooked - everything is thrashed to within an inch of its life! Neither myself or my partner had any problems with undercooked food. That isn't to say it's great though - far from it - we both found the buffet uninteresting and bland, and out of the selection of a 'a la carte' restaurants we tried, only the Italian and Japanese offered any sort of atmosphere and flavour. The Steakhouse, Mexican and Mediterranean restaurants I thought were dreadful - I am still convinced they microwaved a supermarked 'fajita dinner kit' and served it to me - very disappointing. The Japanese (Jade) is a memorable evening, and whilst they might not adhere to UK-standard Health & Safety laws, everything is clean, cooked freshly and thoroughly, and is tasty. Although you are told you only have two reservations for the 'a la carte' per week, it's worth visiting Guest Services every so often to see if they'll give you any extra bookings (we had eight bookings in two weeks). Again, there is nowhere to purchase snacks (crisps, sweets etc) so if you're that way inclined, bring your own! Outside of the main dining, there is a snack bar at the pool, serviing burgers, sausages and the like, as well as ice-cream (which was lovely), but for a tasty lunchtime munch head down to the beach barbecue. All that in mind, I spoke to some people who had been to the Dominican Republic before - both to five-star hotels - and both said that the food at the Sirenis was the best they'd had. I guess you have to bear in mind that it's mass catering as well!
There's certainly enough entertainment, although it's mainly geared towards the younger guests (children, young teens and lager louts) thanks to the 'Animation Team'. These guys do everthing - sing, dance, fitness classes, merengue lessons, you name it, they do it. The guys work very hard, and the highlight of our two weeks was watching the Dominican show and dancing to the live band afterwards. The shows are all of varying quality - go with an open mind - but the local bands afterwards are a real laugh. Take your mosquito repellant though, because the mozzies are out in force in that area of the hotel, and several people I spoke to when I was there said they'd never seen mosquito bites like it - my girlfriend ended up with 70 bites on her leg after one evening there.The lowlight of the entertainment - which cycles every two weeks - was the 'party' on the first night. After a 9-hour flight, and an early start that morning, I didn't really enjoying hearing 'Agadoo' from my room blaring out over a breakbeat....
At weekends, the local Dominicans are allowed in, and our rep advised us to book trips for the weekends because of this. I'd read elsewhere that the locals cause chaos; I also heard stories to that effect while I was there, but about the only thing that annoyed me was it was very difficult to get served at the bar when the Dominicans were there - the bar staff would always serve them first.
Tipping is very welcome there - we took a lot of one-dollar bills (US currency is almost preferred to Dominican) and these went a long way. Once you've tipped someone, they'll be very attentive to you.
The surrounding area is pretty quiet - there isn't much to do apart from organised trips - although a walk north-ish along the beach is lovely (the southern end is really dirty!) and you'll find some little shacks along the way selling souvenirs (for a fraction of the price of the hotel shops, and even cheaper if your bartering skills are up to speed!). We found most of the tour operator-organised trips were quite expensive, and didn't offer great value-for-money.
If you've booked, you won't be disappointed. Personally, I wouldn't go back to the Dominican Republic, but I had a great time at the Sirenis.

• Liked — Quality of facilities
  • Disliked — Area and bland food
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
Wales, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2008

Just come back from a 2 week stay at the Sirenis Tropical Suites... and i must say i had a lovely time!

The hotel is very big as it is made up of two hotels- the other being the Sirenis Cocotal Beach Resort. Its all the same hotel really, just different receptions and it mirrors the tropical side of the hotel. I think the only difference is that the Cocotal side has higher rise apartments than the Tropical Side.

I was really concerned about the weather before i went as reports said that there were tropical storms etc. Whilst there the weather was great! It was very hot in the day and only a few cloudy mornings and if it did rain (only a few occasions) it would only last 20 mins, of which you could sit under the umbrellas etc. The sun would be back out after that. It was also very warm in the eve's, so def no need for jackets etc!

Here are some comments on the different aspects of the hotel;

ROOM- We had a tropical junior suite which was made up of a bathroom, bedroom with two double beds and a living area - sofa/bed, tv and chair/table. There was a balcony area with a table & 2 chairs. The room was nice & clean and the maids came every day to replenish the towels, change the beds etc. The fridge was also stocked with water & soft drinks every day (no charge). Ours was in block T which was at the bottom of the resort but right next to the pool & beach. In the 2nd week we had a iron & board and also a coffee/tea maker put in the room. Altho the coffee maker plug wouldnt fit in the socket!

FOOD & DRINK- There are two buffet restaurants altho one was closed as the hotel wasnt full. The food here was really nice, plenty of choice and always fresh. I think i only got bored one night when it was a dominican theme. I didnt experience any bad tummy upsets while on holiday. There were also 5 a la cartes, of which you can have 2 reservations per week, but if you enquire in the morning you may be able to get a last min booking. All restaurants were very big and well decorated. The Italian & The Jade (japanese/chinese) was the best in my opinon. The drinks were great, all the main soft drinks available- proper coke & sprite etc. The cocktails were also great & a huge selection. In the lounge/reception area you can have waitress service to your table.

BEACH & POOL- The pool was huge! There were always plenty of sunbeds with shade. The pool was kept clean every day and the swim up bars were great, i spent most of the time at the quieter side of the pool. The beach was really nice & breezey, plenty of sunbeds again. I was a tad disapointed with the sea as it was a bit cloudy due to the sand, but nice & warm to swim in. The further up the beach you go you tend to find a bit of rubbish washed up from the sea. The sand was a light golden colour, but plenty of palm trees for that caribbean feel.

ENTERTAINMENT- I only went to a few evening shows which were held in a theatre type of area. These were mainly dance shows, the dancers are really good and tried really hard but the shows were a bit samey - altho i really liked the dirty dancing one! Afterwards was usually a live band or something. There is also a casino - which i went in once and a disco after 11pm, which i didnt go to as was usually too tired! There were a few english channels on the TV so found myself heading back to the room to watch a movie.

TRIPS- The reps sold trips, of which we went on one - the reef explorer at $85 each. This was a half day trip which was to snorkel with sting rays and sharks. It was a nice trip, altho a tad expensive. We did book another - Isla Catalina at $125 each, but after hearing reports about there being a long transfer and it being a tad disapointed, we cancelled and got a refund. There are people that sell trips around the pool at cheaper prices, but we didnt bother with these either. But i dont think people had problems. The reps recommend you dont book with these due to the insurance/cancellation policies.

I did read reports of the local people coming to the hotels at the weekend, i think we were lucky in our time there as i didnt really notice too many locals at the hotel and there was still plenty of space at the pool etc and no major inpact when dining.

All in all i'd def recommend this hotel!

• Liked — The pool, beach & weather
  • Disliked — the entertainment could be a bit better
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Lancs, England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2008

Apartment
Before I arrived i emailed and rang the hotel to request an apartment in J block 3rd floor and i got J206– had fantastic view of sea, high ceilings as it’s the top floor and still close to beach and pool but in quiet part of complex – perfect! K block would have an even better view of sea but would imagine it’s a bit noiser as nearer to animation team at pool and beach. Most of the blocks of apartments seem to have lifts. Room had dressing table/desk, 3 chairs and a table, TV, 2 double beds- we just moved them together, good view and marble bathroom with shower and jets. No plug for sink which was hard work if you wanted quick wash or had to handwash. There isn’t a kettle so maybe take your own if you like to brew up. Be warned any hair straightners do not work so do not bother taking them. The airconditioning was brilliant but I preferred to leave the fan on at night which was also good. Also good was speedy resolution of any maintenance issues, toilet not flushing, air con dripping in another apartment were dealt with within 90 mins

My overall opinion is that the hotel is a 3*+ rating compared with English hotels and taking into account that as with everywhere you go in the world it is their take on the food and so as expected the food is different than English food. If you want more authenticity for English ways then an all inclusive holiday abroad probably isn’t for you . If you want an affordable, relaxed holiday way to enjoy the Caribbean then you will be very happy and the people/ staff are the amongst the friendliest I’ve met and are genuinely happy to see you and always say an Hola! My 7 month old baby boy was in his element as all the staff made such a big fuss of him everywhere we went and therefore kept him more entertained and so our holiday was even more enjoyable.

Transfer to hotel
After reading the reviews on the Debbies Dominican Travel site and we booked for Mr Silvio – Dominican Airport Transfer. They were excellent and I would highly recommend them. The driver who was smartly dressed was waiting for us at the airport and we went into a fairly new mini bus as there was 7 of us and it fitted all our suitcases and they had also by prior request provided a very clean infant seat for my baby. The air con was fantastic, it took an hour to get to the hotel and some of the roads are a bit bumpy but it was still faster than the coach and so we arrived before everyone else and didn’t have to suffer the numerous drop offs on the way.

Drink
I couldn’t see anywhere you could buy any international alcohol which meant only choice of house red or white wines which was really cheap tasting same goes for brandy etc. Vodka and rum tasted ok but then that is masked by mixers. Fruit juice is concentrated not fresh so not to my taste. However you get x 3 bottles of water, 1 spite and 1 coke and 1 diet coke in room fridge each day – I tipped a couple of dollars every few days and asked for extra water. Cocktails very nice – my favourite was Pina colada- make sure you ask for rum though else you sometimes get the non alcoholic version. Milkshakes fab- strawberry, choc etc so kids loved these. Smoothies at breakfast

Buffet food was quite good although obviously Dominican take on everything so not what you would get in England but still quite nice. Mushrooms were tinned so not so good, sausages were like salami sausage not like a pork/beef English one. Lot of pork and veal every day which are obviously the cheap types of meat although many were lovely dishes. Don’t expect a 5* food like at some high class resorts such as steak, prawns, lobster.

Breakfast
Hot food –Hard boiled eggs, freshly made omelettes, fried eggs or scrambled by chef- very nice –choice of fillings. Each day bacon – but dried and tough though, scrambled egg, tasty sausages, then various accompaniments each day- deep fried cheese triangle are to die for (only appeared once a week though), fried green beans, fried plantains, mushrooms with onion/peppers, onion rings. Grilled tomatoes, american pancakes but had slightly smokey taste so I wasn’t keen- pancakes/crepes much better in snack bar near beach. Boiled oatmeal – sweet, milky hot with tang of cinnamon

Cold food – continental- various meats although quite cheap and spam like. Slices/cubes of cheese, salad. Choice of cereals – lucky charms, equiv of coco pops, muesli, porridge-no named cereals like frosties, shreddies, weetabix though. Cold milk tastes bit like English sterilised milk, Range of croissants, fresh bread, marmalade, jam, choc spread, quark and ricotta cheese, prunes in juice, fruit juice- mango, apple, orange etc although are from concentrate not fresh.

Fresh fruit- bananas of course!, different types of melon, pineapple, oranges, limes,

Meal Reservations
We did get a little fed up of the buffet and preferred the Italian so we beat the system. You are allowed 2 reservations per week. As there were 7 in our party using 3 rooms we simply did a rota of each of us booking a different restaurant every night alternating which room number we used and booked for 7 people. If you get chatting to someone on holiday and want to eat together in the restaurants then this system can work well for you.

Mexican
Shared space with steak house - currently in snack bar dressed up with check tablecloths and a candle for cosy feel. Excellent service but thought food wasn’t very good - not very good, little taste
Apppetiser- huge dish of fried tortillas with various dips
Starters- Quesidillas- little cheese, chimichangas- tasteless.
Mains- We had chicken, onion nacho dish with salsa sauce and melted cheese but not much to it

Steakhouse – We only went once, wasn't overly impressed..
Starters-Corn soup
Mains – barbeque chicken, Spare ribs in sauce, Sirloin steak- we asked for 2 medium, 2medium rare, but all were very different- one was very rare but juicy, another was medium to well and quite tough. Did have slight chargrill flavour. Served with jacket potato and veg – broccoli, carrots

Italian- Cinetti
Best air con in the complex and fabululous antipasto starters – advise you book a few nights here particularly if you want to cool down. Modern feel- stark white with black/white prints of film stars on wall and white high backed chairs and well dressed table with contemporary square black/white plates. Service excellent againas they keep topping your glass up with wine, they also served beer and fizzy drinks but no cocktails and food was good although would compare poorly against an average Italian restaurant back in England.
Starters – best food I had whilst here-you help yourself to a cold buffet antipasto selection -sardines, brushetta, huge parmesan cheese to take slivers off, stuffed mussels, deep fried cheese squares, peppers in oil, onions, artichokes, Or order mushroom soup
Mains – various pizzas – nicer than buffet presumably because they had wood burning oven. Pick a pasta – spaghetti, fettucine, penne, tagliatelle then pick a sauce- carbonara, tomato, cheese, etc- was good
Lasagne – pasta was a bit hard in middle – shame they didn’t use fresh pasta in this but tasted ok, I had spinach and ricotta ravioli and cream sauce- I was disappointed as the pasta was very thick and stodgy so didn’t want much of it, sauce was nice. Meat tortellini was disappointing too as same kind of pasta and so not tortellini shape and was thick and stodgy.
Dessert- panacotta was ok and think they had a tiramisu

Japansese – Jade
Fantastic! Best restaurant food and atmosphere. There is five large tables that seat 12 people and you each have your own chef who cooks in front of you- our chef was very friendly albeit only really spoke Spanish. However we went twice and one night was at the 6.30pm sitting which had mainly English there and was great, we had saki on arrival, and constantly filling up our glasses with wine and then this red potent liquor which we all had to shout 1,2 3 and cheers in various languages- good fun and lively. However another night at the 9pm sitting wasn’t as good - no saki, they didn’t fill up the glasses as much and not as much fun although was a more diverse mix of nationalities and was a lot busier.
Starters – sushi then you help yourself to cold buffet which had fried Cornish pasty shapes filled with like a sweet potato, spring rolls, sweet chilli sauce, chicken kebabs, raw smoked fish and salmon- lovely. Tasty jumbo prawns
Mains- Some tables got soup at 9pm sitting but we didn’t
Chef cooks chopped veg, type of special fried rice and steak pieces and chicken pieces- very tasty. Then he cooks squid and jumbo prawns – gorgeous.
Dessert- midori jelly, or roux bun with ice cream in middle with choc sauce.

Giardinetto– restaurant is $35 US per person, such as soups, and lobster but didn’t see much else that enticed me to pay and was aware after seeing the Dominican take on other American/ English food that it wouldn’t compare with one back home anyway so didn’t bother with that and always looked quiet but maybe just down to fact everyone happy with other restaurants….

Theme nights
They have theme nights that you can pay for – Lobster night, Langoustine night on the beach with live music $35 per person –we didn’t try that so can’t comment.

Snack bar serves food all day – pancakes (help yourself to honey, maple syrup, strawberry jam, choc sauce) nachos and hot cheese sauce, hamburgers, hot dogs, fries, cheese and ham toasties, fruit and Dominican style cakes. At lunch all these plus freshly cooked pork, chicken breast, spare ribs or fish – tuna etc. Salad bar and daily pasta dish- spaghetti with seafood, creamy macaroni, tomato penne etc. Paella in huge pan is good, Usually a stew type like goulash or veal stew, rice

Buffet restaurants
There was a excellent choice of food and sometimes there were some distinctly Dominican dishes there was plently of cuisine to suit all nationalities. Ok this is as much as I can remember and be bothered to type out!!
Steak and kidney pie
Carvery hut which had different food each day- Salmon en Croute, Roast beef – tough and dry, pork, roast chicken,
Pasta chef- pick from 2 types of pasta – ie penne, spaghetti and choose fillings-tomato, ham, mushrooms etc then there was a Tomato sauce or Bechamel sauce - I had mix of both, and a big dish of parmesan cheese, aioli,
Veal goulash, pigs trotters, chicken pieces in various sauces, tomato and veg etc, brussel sprouts, broccoli, cauliflower cheese,
Potatoes – they had different types every day and apart from the fries which tended to be dried out I really enjoyed these – sauté, mash, roast, gratin etc
Rice – fried, boiled, buttered, mixed with veg, meat, fish
Salad – was good – iceberg lettuce, cucumber, beef tomatoes, carrot, cold pasta dish, beetroot and cheese and meats, The salami meats are nice, various dressings – seafood sauce etc

Day trips – we booked with Thomas Cook so they sold their own tours. Swim with dolphins $360 per person so expensive but sounds fab and they said that Ocean world is the only park they would recommend as only one that has high enough welfare standards for the animals compared to other parks.
Boat trip with few hours at tropical island and bbq and rum all day long. However was in old coach which broke down, then taken in new coach, went on boat and food was great but then got quite wet from spray and had to sit on old, dodgy coach on way back again.
Helicopter trip $159 per person for 20 mins which leaves from pad on complex was good and flew very low down to sea so you had close up of ship wreck and over complex and island.
Spa – There are a full range of beauty treatments and they are reasonably priced- well worth a trip. I had a full body massage and it was heaven. They did a fab job of my nails (French polish) too.

As mentioned in brochures etc – free canoeing on complex. Donuts were $25 for 2 people, banana boat $12 each.

The animation team were fantastic and kept everyone round their pool entertained all day with games. Many to their credit were also fluent in different languages – French, German, Spanish and English. The kids seemed to all have a great time. We spent time near El Coralina swim up bar which was quiet but there was more breeze from the beach which we desperately craved due to the heat and humidity. It would have been nice to have had a waitress service with drinks throughout the day- I would have happily tipped away for this but maybe that’s me being lazy and impatient for having to queue at the bars…..! The beach aerobics in the shallow waters of the sea is good fun although a note to the girls a sports bra may be better use than your bikini ha ha!! They also do the Merengue dance lessons which looked fun but trust me after day 2 of your hol you’ll be humming that tune in your sleep as its played constantly.

TV
Loads of fab films on a couple of the channels-channel 10 and 26 (in English) trust me if you succumb to the gastro belly as all 7 of us had for at least a day then this is a saviour! we watched The Holiday, Déjà vu, Gone in 60 Seconds, Backdraft, Cars, Da Vinci Code, Talladega Nights, Universal Soldier, Kevin Costner day – Waterworld, No Way Out,
Also had channels- BBC America -Top Gear, Bargain Hunt
A&E channel - Without a Trace and others such as the Saving Grace, The Cleaner, The Closer, Law and Order,

Mosquitos
We all suffered a few bites and mine did get quite swelled. We all got bitten at night,and we all tried various repellents but to no avail so take some cream to ease them after.

Best bits – Loads of films, air con in Italian restaurant and bedrooms, Japanese restaurant, friendly staff, speedy resolution of any maintanence issues, apartment in J block – room 206- 3rd floor, spa – massage, beautiful beach

Worst bits –Blatant priority to serve the locals at the bar before English and other nationalities, the locals came in at weekends on a day/weekend pass. The locals themselves weren’t unfriendly just indifferent to other nationalities but would dominate the bars and buffet so the queues were longer, also they took over the pool and were quite boisterous. Should I go on a another holiday I would definitely ensure I didn’t go to another complex that let the locals in for weekend etc.

• Liked — Cleanliness, layout of complex and beachfront location, beauty treatments
  • Disliked — no aircon in buffet restaurants, only average food/drink
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Sirenis Punta Cana Resort Casino & Aquagames? Share your experiences!