“Beautiful , good service but got sick here” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Sirenis Punta Cana Resort Casino & Aquagames

You added Sirenis Punta Cana Resort Casino & Aquagames to your Saves list
Sirenis Punta Cana Resort Casino & Aquagames
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playas Uvero Alto | Macao Beach, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #66 of 99 Hotels in Punta Cana
Port Elgin, Canada
“Beautiful , good service but got sick here”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2014 via mobile

First the good. Very beautiful resort, grounds are very lush and tropical. The beach and pool area is fabulous. The staff are very friendly and with so many languages there they do well. The food was good with lots of choice. The bar staff and entertainment staff did a great job.
The bad. The entertainment at the night shows was sad. I think they try to hard to be a Vegas show. They try hard but it's just not there. I wish they would just stick to their own culture which we never get to see. We had grandchildren there and they even did a play with murder and suicide. That's not acceptable. The REALY bad now. Me and my wife both got sick second day and could not leave the room for 2 days. We were not right for many days after but tried to make the best of things. We watched the maid clean the bathroom. She arranged a few things , dropped a flower near the sink then left. No cleaning at all. No wonder people get sick here.
If you go I recommend bringing your own disinfecting wipes and clean your room when you arrive and be careful at dinners.
So. I am not going back to this hotel or any hotel in the DR.
Been to Jamacia and Mexico several times with no problems.
Slader12345

Stayed March 2013
Aquagames, Assistant Manager at Sirenis Punta Cana Resort Casino & Aquagames, responded to this review, February 23, 2014
Hi Stew M,

I thank you very much for your review from our last holiday at our resort. We will make sure all your comments are taken into consideration in order to improve our services. I’m happy to hear you liked our beautiful resort, the beach and pool area, our friendly staff, the food, the bar staff and entertainment.

I leave you my e-mail assistantmngr.dr@sirenishotels.com if you want to contact me personally. If you decide to come back to our resort, I will ensure we make your stay here at the Sirenis memorable.

Assistant Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (534)
  • Polish first
Cornwall, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2014

We just returned from this resort where our daughter was married.
Most of the guests were unimpressed with the rooms and service received. That is a great disappointment when guests attending because of a wedding are not satisfied.
Checking in was an adventure. We arrived at 2pm and did not get our room until after 4pm. Unacceptable and very frustrating. We were told to go and visit. We were not about to leave our luggage and a wedding dress in the lobby.
The rooms are shabby and in great need of renovation. Bathrooms are moldy and the shower leaks all over the floor. This is why you need towels to sop up the mess on the floor!!! GOOD LUCK GETTING TOWELS! The cleaning staff never had towels in our room until late in the afternoon and only after calling, complaining to the concierge and front desk. It is probably not the cleaning staff's fault, I suspect they do not have the supplies they need to fulfil their jobs correctly. I feel sorry for them because they get all the complaints.
The day of our daughter's wedding I requested towels early so that we could prepare on time...still no towels. Had to use the dirty towels from the previous day that we had used to wipe the floor. One night we received towels at 10 pm.
Forget about getting in to the a la carte restaurants unless you are willing to bribe someone to get in(which we did to get in the Japanese restaurant). Apparently, they are all booked up...unless of course you want to sign up for one of those VIP breakfast sale sessions, then miraculously there is room available???
The food is only OK. I have had better food in Cuba.
Our request to have transportation for the bride from her room to the walkway that led to the gazebo was flatly denied. ''All our brides have to walk' I was told. Apparently, only VIP guests can be transported via the electric cart. I guess a bride (that brought more that 35 guests to the resort is not considered VIP). However I was told by other guests that this electric cart was used to transport another bride earlier in the week.
On the bright side, the beach is nice and there are plenty of pools to choose from.
A lot of work needs to be done to FIX the rooms and IMPROVE the service. Guests should not have to be fighting every day to obtain BASIC necessities like towels and toilet paper.
We have no plans to return to Punta Cana or this resort.

Hi nickmom14,

First of all I have to thank you for taking the time to write your review and I’m sorry to hear you didn’t have such a good vacation staying with us. Your comments will be taken into consideration in order to improve the quality of our services.

I just wanted to specify that normally, check-in is at 3pm. In high season, when the hotel has a very high occupancy, we are not able to start preparing the rooms until the clients’ chek-out a 12pm because there are none available. This is why we cannot have the check-in before 3pm. As per your luggage, if you get to the hotel and your room is not ready, we have a storage room where we put the luggage while you go enjoy the hotel.

If you are having problems getting all your restaurants reservations, please talk to our public relations department so that they know about it and see if they can do something to help you.
Please don’t hesitate to write me if you want to discuss your situation further at assistantmngr.dr@sirenishotels.com or if you decide to come back in the future in order to ensure you spend a great trip at our resort.

nl
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014

Just came back today from this hotel Didn't want to leave. My only complaint was to short Big shout out to the entertainment team especially. Ping pong. And Tony Montana Reason our stay was so good If the manager reads this can you please reply to me as I really want you to know these guys are awesome. And tell them their Newfie family says We miss them Lori and Kelly Overall if you are lookin to stay there anyone don't hesitate

• Stayed February 2014
Aquagames, Assistant Manager at Sirenis Punta Cana Resort Casino & Aquagames, responded to this review, February 18, 2014
Hi NlNewf,

I’m very glad to see you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you for taking the time to share your great comments. I will definitely pass on your message to Ping Pong and Tony Montana, they will love to see their hard work pays off and I’m sure will be happy to hear from you.

I will leave you my e-mail assistantmngr.dr@sirenishotels.com if you ever want to come back to our resort. It will be a pleasure meeting you and ensuring you spend another great vacation with our Sirenis Team!

Barrie, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014

Well, after a great flight with Air Transat and a relatively easy transfer to the hotel we arrived with our two children. Although arriving late, there was lots going on in the lobby but very quickly my feeling of relaxation turned sour with a terrible check in experience. The gentleman on the desk was less than helpful, in fact rude, we finally got our two tired kids to the room. NOT what we thought the room was going to be, nor was it what we were sold!!! I head back to the front desk, only to have to argue with them into the wee hours of the morning. I had even emailed the hotel in advance and spoke directly with the Assistant Manager to confirm our room and neither she or any management would speak to me about what I was sold. I even had a copy of her email confirmation but still didn't help. However, with thanks to our on-site Air Transat rep Ann, the next morning we got another room which was better but still SUB PAR at best. They are dated, dark, mold in the tub and in the windows, lumpy pillows and broken chairs on the patio.

The food quality was not that great in the snack bars, unless you like pizza, fries and nachos every day. The buffet was average most nights but breakfast omelettes were amazing each morning. Unfortunately we weren't able to get many reservations in the a 'la cartes but we did get to the Japanese restaurant which was good and the Steakhouse which was average. The pool areas were not cleaned by morning (lots of garbage, cups and lounges already "saved with towels) the beach was found to be in the same state. No coffee creamer in the room (but a small fridge), or an alarm clock or enough chairs for all to sit on. Water from the shower flooded the floor due to no curtain.. Ran short on beach towels availability couple times - seriously!? Not enough towels??

And don't fall for the concierge service - they will help you get what you need (more pillows, reservations, fix a lock on a door) which at first you are SO grateful for but it's all a ploy to invite you to a VIP breakfast to sell you better room options. And they pressure you BIG TIME and then, you say no thank you that you're not interested in a breakfast meeting and tour of nicer rooms (I mean, why not make ALL your rooms nicer?!) they are suddenly no where to be found to help you later in the week when your drain is clogged!!!

On a positive side, the wait staff are helpful and attentive, the bartenders entertaining and the beach is WONDERFUL!! The water park was heaps of fun for the kids (and us adults too) but not located near other activities and the weather in the DR is awesome! HOT! HOT! HOT!

So although rated a 4 or 5 star on many travel sites at best I would rate it a 3 star considering the accommodation, food quality, and availability of amenities.

Hi Cheri H,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I’m sorry to hear the hotel didn’t meet your expectations during your trip. Your comments will definitely help us improve our services.

All clients who contact me before they come here, I let them know to not hesitate to ask for me at the reception if they need anything. The only two reasons I’m not available to see someone is if I am in a meeting or on my day off. And in these cases, reception is supposed to give me the message. In your case I’m sorry to hear you asked for me and they told you I wasn’t available because I never received any message that you came to ask for me.

Mississauga, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014

A beautiful property with great food, relaxation, and a great waterpark. I would rate this a 4 Resort. The entertainment was AMAZING, Michael Jackson to ABBA, singing along the whole time. The guys in the lobby bar were great, always keeping up with everything and amusing the guests to keep everyone on their toes.
The grounds were beautiful, the walk to the Water Park has goats, donkeys, ducks, swans, and a beautiful pond. Little shops along the way as well.
The staff, well what can I say about the staff - most kind beautiful people who bent over backwards to fullfil your happiness on your vacation.
The In-House Manager, was fantastic -Joaquin Mateo, and the Operations Manager - Luis Gonzalez Lopez, and Teresa are great management, you can see the people who work there are happy, and they actually do their jobs diligently with high professionalism.

I would say the only down side was the way we were invited for a "contest" our first days there, when in fact turned out to be a "time share breakfast" with a relentless Sales Person.
The chairs at the pools were always taken by people who put their towels on the chairs and who show up when they want, therefore leaving no pickings for anyone else. It's just the rudeness of other guests who obviously havent grown up with any manners whatsoever.

Our A/C in our room was not working, but not for long- FIXED!
The BBQ Hut at the beach was great, good chicken,hotdogs & burgers.
All in all, we had a great trip in Punta Cana.

The shopping at the beach was great, so many people do not know about this shop, when you are in the lobby go straight down the main sidewalk to the pools, walk to the sand and take a left. Keep walking till you come to the place, you'll see it -believe me- the best surveniers you could ask for and the pricing was very good, better than going off the resort to the flea markets. Ask for Garicia.

We would return to this resort.
Lyn & Paul -Mississauga, ON Canada

Room Tip: Building A is close to everthing and is in our opinion the best to stay at.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi lynvanpaul01,

First of all it’s always a pleasure to receive great reviews as we work really hard to ensure our clients spend a great vacation. We will make sure all your feedback is taken into consideration in order to improve our services.

I will definitely pass on your comments to all people mentioned as I’m sure they will be so happy to hear that. I’m glad to hear you enjoyed the shows, the grounds, the water park and the friendliness and kindness of our staff.

Please don’t hesitate to write me at assistantmngr.dr@sirenishotels.com if you decide to come back in the future in order to ensure you spend another amazing trip.

Braintree, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2014

So much too say that is wonderful, food, staff,atmosphere, service, genuine friendliness of senior staff who try to make your holiday special.The romantic dinner was a delight ,

On the minus side,maid staff are average,and laundry service is good but took 4 attempts for the maid to get it washed.Our one criticism.

Otherwise BRILLIANT holiday,must explain why everyone we met were on there 4th or 5th trip.

WE WILL RETURN ( a particular thank you to Stanly{real name Stalin} and Inis for their assistance )

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Aquagames, Assistant Manager at Sirenis Punta Cana Resort Casino & Aquagames, responded to this review, February 17, 2014
Hi Steven B,

First of all it’s always a pleasure to receive great reviews as we work really hard to ensure our clients spend a great vacation. I will definitely pass on your comments to Stalin and Inis as I’m sure they will be so happy to hear that. Thank you also for your suggestions as they will help us in improving the services we offer.

I invite you to contact me at assistantmngr.dr@sirenishotels.com when you are planning you next vacation to our resort so I can ensure you and your family spend another memorable vacation.

Hawkesbury, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2014

Just got back from 2 weeks at Sirenis and it was great. Hotel is nice, clean, spacious (we had a suite) and although very large it does not come off as crowded. The food was slightly above average but what I liked best was that 24/7 there was good hot food available. We have a 20 month old who would get up at 5:30 or 6:00 and there was an early breakfast starting at 4 or 5 that really helped. Beach was average but we rarely went. To me a beachfront vacation is about playing in the waves with my boys and bodysurfing. Before purchasing the vacation i looked at a lot of photos and it appeared that there were no waves on the beach. I emailed the assistant manager Veronique Gareau and said "from the photos there doesn't appear to be any waves. My 9 year old wants to bodysurf." She replied "yes, your 9 year old will be able to bodysurf". This was a flat out LIE and when I confronted her at the hotel she said she is an avid surfer and lives on the hotel grounds but "didn't realize there weren't any waves at the hotel beach". She assumed that because the giftshop sells boggie boards that there must be waves. This woman would lie to your face with a huge smile on her face. Unbelievable. She offered to arrange a surf trip for my son to "make up for the misunderstanding" and said it would cost $125 ( I would have expected it to be complementary to compensate for lying to me). I said no, too expensive. She came back the next day and said she got it down to $95. When I contacted them directly it was $85. Again, UNBELIEVABLE. She lies to me then offers to help me out and tries to make a profit off it. We did go to Macao beach for surfing and it was awesome but found the "Uvero Alto Surf School" 20 minutes walk north of the hotel to be much better and only $50 for 2 hours (Macao requires a 20 minute taxi ride). The problem with the beach 20 minutes north is that it is an adult only resort and although they would allow my 9 year old to take surf lessons they would not allow him to play in the waves or stay on the beach. We went twice to bodysurf and were immediately asked to leave.
The waterpark was awesome. A toddler section, a 3-8 section and a 8 and over section. Never any lineups. Shaded hammocks between 2 palm trees to relax while the kids play was my heaven.
Our bed was so hard that our fully loaded suitcases didn't even make a dent in them so we asked the concierges for a softer bed. They said no problem they would get a foam cover for us right away. I went to them 2-3 times daily for 4 days before giving up and going to our Air Transat reps and the foam pad arrived within an hour and made a big difference (my wife is 6 months pregnant and I have had back surgery).
We went with Air Transat and they had a direct shuttle to the resort from the hotel that only took 30 minutes with the new highway.
Wifi was only available at reception and at the main pool and that was inconvenient for $50/week.
The hotel staff were very friendly and were super nice to our 20 month old.
I would be tempted to go again because of the waterpark but doubt we will because I've been to over 30 countries and at least a hundred hotels and I have never had to deal with the blatant dishonesty and BS that I got from Veronique Gareau and that really tainted the trip.

Hi Mark B,

First of all I’m a little surprised to receive this review after helping you and your son finding another option to make sure you got to do the body surf you wanted during your vacation. I have talked to you throughout your stay and never once you mentioned to me you were unhappy with the options I had giving you or with my help.

I always try to answer clients the best I can with any questions they have and never was it my intention to lie to you in any way. As you will see below, when you e-mailed me, I answered that I THOUGHT on SOME days he would be able to bodysurf:

“1) are there waves on the beach that my 9 year old would be able to body surf on? The waves appear to break far out and not be accessible to swimmers – yes there are waves depending on the days. I think he would be able to body surf”

I really thought that because I see clients using their boogie boards sometimes, even some representatives have these boards to lend to their clients. In the whole Punta Cana area, Uvero Alto (where the hotel is located) is the area with the most waves. On both sides of the hotel, there are 2 good surf beaches.

As per the rates for the Macao Surf School, never in any way I try to make money. I really did this in a nice gesture, going out of my way, to help you out so you could spend a great vacation as I saw your deception with the waves at the hotel. If you go see on the Macao Surf Camp website: http://macaosurfcamp.com/es/surf-lessons/ you will see the exact same rates I gave you so it surprises me they would have told you differently. 2 hour private lessons for US$115 (by the way I had given you the rate of $115 not $125) and 2 hour group lesson for US$95. These rates are with the TRANSPORT included from and to Sirenis (the Uvero Alto Surf School don’t include transport so for sure they are cheaper, a taxi from the hotel to Macao and back is US$60). When you told me US$115 was too expensive, I called back the surf school and they agreed to give you the rate of a group lesson for a private lesson. I didn’t have to do that but did it to help you the best I could. I told them to take good care of you and they even included sandwiches and beverages which are not normally included. The only company that offers surf lessons for US$85 including transport is Coast Riders but they don’t have a surf school on Macao Beach, they just take you there. I didn’t recommend them because I don’t know them well and wanted to make sure you had a great experience. With the Macao Surf School I was certain you were going to have a great time because I experienced it myself.

I apologize if you feel I have lied to you, but by far it was my intention. My goal when I answer clients is to help them as much as I can to make the best decision for them and I answer to the best of my knowledge.

I’m just very disappointed you weren’t able to tell me all this personally when you were here instead of telling me everything was great.

Regards,

Assistant Manager

Been to Sirenis Punta Cana Resort Casino & Aquagames? Share your experiences!