“Beautiful spot. Service below average.Not so kid friendly” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Sirenis Cocotal Beach Resort Casino & Aquagames

Save Saved
You added Sirenis Cocotal Beach Resort Casino & Aquagames to your Saves list
Sirenis Cocotal Beach Resort Casino & Aquagames
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playas Uvero Alto | Macao Beach, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #59 of 101 Hotels in Punta Cana
“Beautiful spot. Service below average.Not so kid friendly”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2014

I was travelling with my wife and 2 kids. 2 years old and 5 years old. The good side first. Water slides are fun, big, without waiting and a 5 minutes walk. Good location though 40 minutes from the airport. Beautiful gardens, beach and buffet. I always had it easy finding a palapa and/or chairs The food was good. Did not cost a lot for a week so I wasnt expecting much. Got almost the same price as Cuba. Check in was fast. Rooms are renovated (maybe because I was with transat). It rained 15 minutes in the week. Outside area are so clean. Pools are very beautiful. Drinks are good. Lots of shade with kids even on the beach with palm trees. Pools by the beach.

The bad:
Air Transat sells it as a family resort (with water slides). Before going I emailed the hotel to have a playpen for my 2 years old and since I use 2 strollers I asked for the first floor because i read here that none of the elevators were working. They emailed me back saying they would do. In fact the elevator didnt work and was at the 2nd floor...and no playpen in our room. I returned to the lobby to ask for a playpen but they never did. They only did the following day after another trip to the lobby. We slept the baby between us. There are only flat sheets on the bed which i found bizarre, no blankets! You cannot drink the water from tap so they recommend using the bottled water. After a day we didnt have anymore water in the fridge. They putted more coca-cola and Fanta in the fridge but no water! Also they put our over flat sheets in the playpen leaving our 2 bed without top sheets! I went to the lobby to ask for water and sheet at 7h00pm. At 11h00 pm still no sheet so i went to the lobby again. 20 minutes some man delivered sheets (no water) to room C001 instead of C101...So i followed him to his locker room where he kept the sheets and gave me 2 and water...I tipped him

Following day I left a note on fridge..Agua por Favor! Garcias!'' But after housekeeping still no water and since there was no place in the fridge anymore she putted 2 more coca-cola on the TV cabinet! So i went to complain to our Transat rep. Following hour we had 4 bottles in our room. Batltle was finally over we had water for the week. I understand the housekeeping woman have 24 rooms to clean but this requires common sense. We didnt have toilet paper one day leaving the empty roll on the toilet, she didnt refill us but changed our towels even though they were hanged (meaning dont change like their Eco friendly card says) so he had to find her so they would give us a roll!

Family Hotel. The buffet carries 4 high chairs for all the Cocotal and Tropical childs! No food is available from 5h00pm to 7h00 pm !!! At what time do you think a 2 years old kid and 5 years old eat ? They say the snack bars are open until 6h00pm but they close at 5h00 to make room for the a la carte restaurants. Air transat said the buffet opened at 6h30pm. I know because I was carefull chosing an hotel with early hours. I know spanish kids eats at 8h00 pm, mine sleep at 7h00 pm...
At the end of our week our shower broke. Shower head anchor in the wall broke. We thought it would takes days before repair but took only 30 minutes. Service is not equal. A lot of Sirenis' workers ask you to bring them food and/or drinks. I usually answered them ''will you tip me?'' Not sure if we can so I didnt want to get into trouble.

Notes:
They charge a 50$ deposit for the safe, so if you plan to bring 200$ bring 250$ because they confiscate 50$ right at the beginning.

They give you a card for beach towel. If you lose a card or towel they charge you 20$ so do not reserve chairs with those towels bring one or two of your own.

No whole fresh milk is available in Dominican Republic.(2 years old kids)

Sirenis Cocotal and Tropical is the same resort. I dont know why they use 2 names. I reserved for Cocotal and had to check in at the Tropical desk.

People were about 50% russians-10% Quebecers-10% french-10% American or canadian(english) -20% mix of italians and spanish and other nationalities. Russians are heavy smokers and drinkers!

Room Tip: first floor if you have strollers: elevators dont work!
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Cocotalbeach, Assistant Manager at Sirenis Cocotal Beach Resort Casino & Aquagames, responded to this review, February 1, 2014
Hi Julienbois,

First of all I have to thank you for taking the time to write your review, your comments and suggestions always help us to improve our services. I’m happy to hear you liked the water slides, the location, our beautiful gardens, our beach with lots of shade, the beautiful pools, the food, great drinks and your room.

As mentioned in our welcome guide, we have a hotline x611 in case you need anything for your room. That way you don’t have to come to the lobby every time.

Regarding the food, there is always one of our 2 restaurants on the beach that stays open until 6pm. Then the main buffet opens at 7pm. The only times during the day where there is no food available on the resort is between 10am-10:30am and between 6pm-7pm (our “a la carte” restaurants open at 6:30pm). Besides that we have food available 24/7.

Please don’t hesitate to write me at assistantmngr.dr@sirenishotels.com if you want to discuss further or if you decide to come back in the future and I will do my best for you to spend a great vacation.

Assistant Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (166)
  • Polish first
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2014

Below is a letter I sent to the Sirenis Headquarters Re: our stay:

My family and I stayed at the Sirenis Cocotal in Punta Cana from Dec. 26/2013 - Jan 2/2014. The hotel service and experience was terrible! The room was not to our or anyone's expectations (from the guests that we spoke with). It was more of a 3* room at best! The grounds were amazing, food was good but the service....disgusting! Just like the blood stain on the bed sheets when we arrived. Yes...blood stain! I didn't report it right away thinking that of course the maid would see it and change the sheet (which by the way was the top sheet, out in the open). When the next day it was still there I thought maybe she didn't see it. OK, give her the benefit of the doubt. When after the 2nd day it was still there I went down to guest services and spoke to the manager there who assured me that he would have someone clean it right away. To make a long story short, it was the 2nd last day of our trip and numerous visits to the front desk (where the mngr would not even come out of his back office to speak or acknowledge me) and numerous promises that the cleaning supervisor was advised and would have it resolved, the blood stained sheet was still there! That is when I spoke to our tour operator rep about it and how un-hygienic and disgusting that was...especially with a baby and a 5 year old in the room. I don't know what was more disgusting...the blood or the lack of service from the hotel staff especially that man who calls himself the guest services manager!
We had some other issues with the room like the main door not closing and having to slam it shut every time (not ideal when you have a infant trying to nap) which they fixed right away. We didn't get towels until 7pm some days which made us miss one of our restaurant reservations! Even after numerous calls to room service requesting the towels and telling them many times that we have reservations to get to and young children too. Completely unacceptable!
Further more, when we arrived everyone was so nice and attentive to our needs but the minute we were suckered into a breakfast which ended up wasting 3 hours of our much needed vacation, we couldn't afford your "VIP CLUB" then all of a sudden no one could care less about us or our experience. In fact that is when the service turn ugly! Let me just say that I have worked in the tourism industry and continue to work in the high-end customer service field and I have never seen or experienced such terrible and disappointing service before! To make matters worse, we get back from our vacation to hear about a truly sad incident in one of your hotels in Mexico with another Canadian couple which made it to the Media.
That just assured us that we would NEVER stay at one of your resorts again and I will make sure that everyone I know and don't know wont either. I am sure the pictures I took everyday of the blood stain will help sway people from booking with your hotel. I have also contacted our tour operator (Transat Tours) about this experience with the picture of the blood.
Thank you for your time and thank you for wasting precious vacation hours with your ridiculous "breakfast" and hours of me constantly going to the lobby to try and get some help day after day!

Please re-train and get your staffs act together for everyone's sake

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Cocotalbeach, Assistant Manager at Sirenis Cocotal Beach Resort Casino & Aquagames, responded to this review, January 19, 2014
Hi jennifruits,
Thank you very much for your review from your last holiday at our resort. I’m happy to hear you liked the grounds and the food.
I’m sorry to hear you we did not meet your expectations for your vacation. We will definitely take your comments into consideration in order to improve our services.
One thing that surprises me is the lack of help that you had from our management team as we are usually very available to help clients. There is always someone from management available between 7am and 11pm. You just need to ask at the reception and they call us right away. We like to make sure our clients spend a great vacation by fixing their problems rapidly.
You are talking about numerous trips to the reception. We have a Hotline number designed for any troubles or needs you might have in your room (all the details for that Hotline are written in the welcome guide we provide you when you arrive to the hotel). This could have helped you avoid walking all the way to the lobby every time. We also have a “gustometro” which is a machine located in different areas of the hotel where you can put in your comments and needs. We receive these e-mails right away and therefore are able to solve the situation as it arrives.
Please don’t hesitate to write me at assistantmngr.dr@sirenishotels.com if you want to discuss further or if you decide to come back in the future so I can make sure you have a great stay with us.
Newport, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2014

We did not arrive at the hotel until 2am Christmas Day having arrived after a 6hr delay. The reception staff were very friendly and helfull. Found the rooms to be very average but we both slept well for the duration of our stay as we found the beds very comfortable. Only moan concerning the room was that we had to keep asking for more water, towells and 'toilet paper'. We found every staff member very friendly and helpfull so I do not understand what other's find to moan about (perhaps it's their own attidude and manners should be looked at) Treat others how you wish to be treated and you will be rewarded!!! Did have to get up mega early for sunbeds as rather a large complex. However, many other seat and tables always available. Very poor entertainment both during the day and evening. Overall my husband and I really enjoyed our stay. Would go again.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Cocotal side in room J007 which was situated on the ground floor just behind the po...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi Bev M,
First of all I have to thank you for taking the time to write your review and I’m glad to see you enjoyed our friendly staff and the hotel in general.
As per your other comments, we will put some attention to them to improve the quality of our services.
Please don’t hesitate to write me at assistantmngr.dr@sirenishotels.com if you decide to come back in the future and I’ll do my best to make your stay as pleasant as possible.
Lincoln, Nebraska
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014

My family of 18 (4 adult couples, 1 child, 8 18-21 year-olds, and my 80 year-old parents) traveled with Funjet vacations to the Sirenis Cocotal for a week over the New Year and stayed in eight double bed rooms in building B. They were kind enough to book us all in one building together, which was great with kids we wanted to keep an eye on. I understand this is the busiest time to travel and they had no vacancies. We even tried to book an extra room before we left and were told none were available. The rooms were adequate. Ours on the second floor had a slight odor when we arrived, but it seemed to go away after the AC ran for a while. We had absolutely no problems with our room, but some family members had standing water in showers and a non-working AC and ceiling fan. They finally addressed the AC after a couple days, and would come drain my parents shower every other day. Housekeeping did a great job on our room, but my family members were not as pleased. I would guess the hotel does not have enough towels for all guests when the hotel is full, because there were several unhappy guests according to what we heard. I would suggest one get clean beach towels at the end of the day showers if this seems to be a problem. You can exchange them the next day.

If you have a problem, I suggest YOU leave a handwritten note at the front desk.

We felt the food was quite good for buffet. All 18 of us ate at the Mexican and the Italian restaurants together and thought they were both very good. The biggest complaint from my family would have to be the difficulty in getting a cup of coffee during or after a meal. It was almost comical. The juices were fresh and amazing. The house wine was okay. The only beer is Presidente. The mixed drinks are as good as they can be for inexpensive liquor. Keep in mind the bartenders worked very hard to please us and help us find a cocktail we would like.

I felt like the service was very good. We take lots of $1 bills to show appreciation for good service. Now some people would say that they have paid for all-inclusive and that should be the end of it, but we see people working very hard while we enjoy ourselves at a place that most of them could never afford, so it seems a small thing to give people a few extra bucks to take home to their families if they have made our trip more enjoyable.

The waterpark was a lot of fun for all of us, but heed these warnings: the toilet bowl is rough and water shirts, glasses and jewelry were not allowed on the rides.

Most of the evening entertainment did not impress us, but honestly that is not why we were there. The casino is small, but the disco was a great time, especially for the younger crowd since it doesn't open until 11. (No minors allowed.) Great (loud) music!

The staff I saw working the kids club was great, but we didn't have any little ones with us.

There is a room safe (with key) for rent for $3/day with a $50 deposit.

We were not bothered by salespeople at all at the resort. We did book one snorkeling excursion to the nurse sharks/rays through Funjet. It was more like a booze cruise (rum, beer and soda), but costs about $90/person for a half day.

Again we were there at a very busy time of year, but the beach and pool chairs were all taken by 9 a.m. The pools are wonderful though. And the beach is nice sand and is walk-able for several minutes both directions, but you will be approached by beach vendors.

On a side note: if you are going to the Dominican Republic for scuba or snorkeling, then choose another location. There is little to see. But the mountains near Punta cana were remarkable and quite pretty.

A base knowledge of Spanish is helpful, especially at the bars, but be patient and they'll find someone to help you if not. Many of the staff members speak multiple languages.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Hi 1tip4u,
Thank you very much for your review from your last holiday at our resort. I’m happy to hear you liked the beach, the pool, the water park and the service.
I’m sorry to hear you we did not meet your expectations regarding the rooms. We will definitely take your other comments into consideration in order to improve our services. The best thing when you have a problem in your room is to call the Hotline right away. If for some reason it hasn’t been fixed after 20-30 minutes, please don’t wait and talk to public relations so we can make sure your problem is fixed as fast as possible.
Please don’t hesitate to write me at assistantmngr.dr@sirenishotels.com if you want to discuss further or when you are planning a future trip here so I can make sure you have a great stay with us.
Okotoks, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014

Sirenis Punta Cana Nov 20-Dec 6, 2013 Review

This is our first time to Sirenis PC, but we have experienced Grand Sirenis in Mexico, so at times I will make direct comparisons between the two. Also, be aware that we are Sirenis Premium Travelers, so will likely be providing comments on that as well.

After 15 hours in transit (including crossing 3 time-zones easterly), we got into the Punta Cana Airport at 3PM, and were transferred to the resort by HotelBeds. The transfer took approximately 35-40 minutes, on the new highway. I understand that the old route could take at least an hour. Check-in, for us, was handled at the Sirenis Premium Travelers (SPT) Lounge. It was handled quickly and we were taken to our room (Cocotal side, G204) by 4:15.

The Premium room had a king-sized bed, a mini-fridge, premium liquor selection, and free wall-safe. The safe was big enough to hold both our iPad and tablet. In comparison to the room quality at the Grand Sirenis, this certainly was not on par, however it was still spacious. The bed mattress did not sit on top of a box-spring, but simply a hard-board, so it was a hard sleep.

There are 7 bars (2 in the main building in the reception area, 1 by the theatre, 1 on the beach, 2 swim-up bars, and 1 by the Mexican (beach) restaurant). We spent the majority of our time at the "La Yola" (swim-up) bar, on the Cocotal pool side. A lot of other folks seemed to do the same, as it was usually pretty busy. At night, the Pergola and Pyramid bars (main building) were usually pretty busy, but were nice bars to wind down at, before heading back to the room to sleep.

The buffets were ok. The food choices were a lot less than at Grand Sirenis, but we never starved. There was always something for us to eat, although, by the end of 2 weeks, I was starting to get really tired of the lack of choices.

There are 7 A-la-Carte restaurants: Chinese (Jade), Italian (Cinecitta), Mediterranean (Mare Nostrum), Vegetarian (El Vergel), Gourmet (Giardinetto), Mexican (Nuevo Mexico), and Steakhouse (El Batey). Aside from El Vergel, we ate twice at each of the restaurants (only once at El Vergel), and only had one sub-par experience (El Batey, the first time). My wife's steak was not done well enough, and was too much grizzle. We took a chance on it the second time, and had no problems, so the first must have just been a bad cut. El Vergel was not open the first 2 weeks, hence only eating there once, but it was a wonderful meal, better than I expected, to be honest. I would gladly recommend ANY of them to anyone.

The entertainment staff seemed to be liked by all. We did not connect with them personally, at all, so I cannot provide any feedback on them. All of their day-time activities seemed to be activity related, which is NOT my forte, so we never got involved. If there was music trivia, I would have been all over it. The evening theatre shows were good, and for the most part, rotated on a two-week cycle. The only issue we had with the theatre was that there were large pillars supporting the roof, however, these would partially obstruct your vision of the stage if you were further back from about row 6.

The water-park was a five-minute walk up the driveway, and was quite fun. Keep in mind, that if you wear glasses, you will NOT be allowed to wear them while on these slides. They are VERY adamant about it too. 2 of the slides have a weight-restriction as well, so if you are over 220 lbs., you will not be able to ride these. The lunch buffet was actually quite good, almost better than the buffets in the main building. The kids water-pool area of the water-park looked to be quite a lot of fun ! I wished I was about 10 years old again …. it looked THAT cool !!!!

Back at the resort … The pool area is one LARGE pool, connected under the main boulevard bridge by a raised section. The difference with this pool complex is that from each end of the pool, it gradually deepens, to the point that the depth goes to well over 6 feet deep. So if you want to "swim", you can do so. I've not been to a lot of AIs, but this seems to be unique. You could really go for a nice long swim in this pool.

We walked the beach outside the resort, both to the north (almost to Excellence), and the south (almost to the new Breathless Resort). It is great to walk the powder-soft sand. Punta Cana has that over Grand Sirenis's natural inlet.

As for the people, I have to give honourable mention to the following individuals, who helped to make our vacation a good one:

Bartenders:
Charlie, Juan Julio, Julio, Jency, Argenus, Johnothan, Sergio (Pyramid), Lissander, Yaphreisy (SPT waitress). These folks always remembered us, smiled at us, treated us like friends, and made us feel special, and welcomed. If you see them in your future travels, please say hi from "Juan and Carolina"…

SPT personnel:
Perla and Lady always made sure that as SPT members, we had everything that we needed, and if we had issues, they were dealt with in very timely fashion.

Buffet (Macao) servers:
Ana and Kristian always had a table ready for us, and took great care of us… coffee, and juices and other beverages before our current ones were empty.

The grounds-keepers are constantly working to keep the landscaping in immaculate shape… always trimming, pruning, and shaping the bushes that line the main walk between the main building and the beach/pool area.

We only ran into one NEGATIVE during our stay, but it was not with the resort, and it lasted pretty much the entire duration. I am sure I am going to be seen as a grade-A "Snob" for the following, but it was the invasion of rude, ignorant, pushy, selfish and obnoxious Russian tourists. I do not want to paint them all with a broad brush, but this is what we had to put up with . It's likely a problem at ANY DR resort, as the DR seems to be heavily promoted to Russia. It seems November/December are the invasion months. I cannot remember seeing such an onslaught of self-absorbed individuals at an all-inclusive resort before. I did not see a lot of respect for the staff (or other tourists) from these people. There were lots of French and Spanish tourists, but we did not notice the same attitudes from them. We really liked the resort, but because of this, we likely will NOT return to Sirenis Punta Cana, at least not in November/December.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi isundby,

Thank you very much to have taken the time to share your feedback with us. I’m glad you enjoyed almost everything about our resort. I will definitely take your comments into consideration for future improvements as we are constantly working on improving our services and amenities.

As per the Russian market, I’m sorry to hear you had bad experiences with them. You came in a time of year very popular for them to visit Punta Cana.

Calgary, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2014

Upon our arrival we were so called upgraded to a jr. suite -- it came with company --- bed bugs!!!!!
The various hotel staff were informed about the bed bugs (that were visible) and even upon repeatedly complaining that the mattress had not been changed (I knew this as I attached a clip to the bug infested matresses) nothing was ever done!!!!!

The buffet rooms are like large cafeterias so be prepared to hear the clanking of plates and the loud drone of people talking!!!!

The entertainment was poor and unintersting as well.

Another man we ran into were also having difficulities with the hotel giving his room away because his plane arrived a day late (weather problems). Even though the hotel and plane had been booked and PAID for they would not give this gentleman a room. In essence they were now double dipping!!!!!

Do not go -- if you encounter any problems the staff and hotel will do nothing to help you. They play dumb or pretend they will take care of it and end up doing absolutely nothing!!!!!! Find a better hotel!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Hi 627Donna,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I’m sorry to hear the hotel didn’t meet your expectations during your trip. Your comments will definitely help us improve our services.

As you your problems with the room, have you informed the public relations department or someone from management during your trip? I am surprised to hear nobody helped you because when we know about problems, we try to resolve them as fast as we can. We like to do our best to make our customers happy so they can have a great stay with us.

Please don’t hesitate to write me if you want to discuss your situation further at assistantmngr.dr@sirenishotels.com or if you decide to come back in the future in order to ensure you spend a great trip at our resort.

Windsor, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013

Stayed from December 12-19. Upon arriving our room only had a double bed. Paid for 2 double beds. How do they expect 4 people to sleep in 1 bed. Thanks to our concierge yaxson after about 30 min he was able to find us a double room. Room was very outdated. Shower faucet was hanging from the wall. Lights burned out. Patio door lock broken. The pools and the garden areas are beautiful. Food was ok and the staff are very friendly. Don't get suckered into the special a la cart breakfast and gift from the concierge. He said it will only be 90min long. A rep from the VIP club met us at breakfast and tried repeatedly to sell us a VIP only membership. After he wasted our time and took away Waterpark time for the kids he wouldn't take no for an answer. Finally after 2hr we walked out on him. He was very pushy and made it sound like if you don't become a VIP then you won't get the same service. Oh well we made the best of our trip and had a wonderful time but we will not stay there again

Stayed December 2013

Been to Sirenis Cocotal Beach Resort Casino & Aquagames? Share your experiences!