“Blood on Sheets and Poor Service” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Sirenis Punta Cana Resort Casino & Aquagames

You added Sirenis Punta Cana Resort Casino & Aquagames to your Saves list
Sirenis Punta Cana Resort Casino & Aquagames
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playas Uvero Alto | Macao Beach, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #70 of 102 Hotels in Punta Cana
“Blood on Sheets and Poor Service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2014

Below is a letter I sent to the Sirenis Headquarters Re: our stay:

My family and I stayed at the Sirenis Cocotal in Punta Cana from Dec. 26/2013 - Jan 2/2014. The hotel service and experience was terrible! The room was not to our or anyone's expectations (from the guests that we spoke with). It was more of a 3* room at best! The grounds were amazing, food was good but the service....disgusting! Just like the blood stain on the bed sheets when we arrived. Yes...blood stain! I didn't report it right away thinking that of course the maid would see it and change the sheet (which by the way was the top sheet, out in the open). When the next day it was still there I thought maybe she didn't see it. OK, give her the benefit of the doubt. When after the 2nd day it was still there I went down to guest services and spoke to the manager there who assured me that he would have someone clean it right away. To make a long story short, it was the 2nd last day of our trip and numerous visits to the front desk (where the mngr would not even come out of his back office to speak or acknowledge me) and numerous promises that the cleaning supervisor was advised and would have it resolved, the blood stained sheet was still there! That is when I spoke to our tour operator rep about it and how un-hygienic and disgusting that was...especially with a baby and a 5 year old in the room. I don't know what was more disgusting...the blood or the lack of service from the hotel staff especially that man who calls himself the guest services manager!
We had some other issues with the room like the main door not closing and having to slam it shut every time (not ideal when you have a infant trying to nap) which they fixed right away. We didn't get towels until 7pm some days which made us miss one of our restaurant reservations! Even after numerous calls to room service requesting the towels and telling them many times that we have reservations to get to and young children too. Completely unacceptable!
Further more, when we arrived everyone was so nice and attentive to our needs but the minute we were suckered into a breakfast which ended up wasting 3 hours of our much needed vacation, we couldn't afford your "VIP CLUB" then all of a sudden no one could care less about us or our experience. In fact that is when the service turn ugly! Let me just say that I have worked in the tourism industry and continue to work in the high-end customer service field and I have never seen or experienced such terrible and disappointing service before! To make matters worse, we get back from our vacation to hear about a truly sad incident in one of your hotels in Mexico with another Canadian couple which made it to the Media.
That just assured us that we would NEVER stay at one of your resorts again and I will make sure that everyone I know and don't know wont either. I am sure the pictures I took everyday of the blood stain will help sway people from booking with your hotel. I have also contacted our tour operator (Transat Tours) about this experience with the picture of the blood.
Thank you for your time and thank you for wasting precious vacation hours with your ridiculous "breakfast" and hours of me constantly going to the lobby to try and get some help day after day!

Please re-train and get your staffs act together for everyone's sake

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Cocotalbeach, Assistant Manager at Sirenis Punta Cana Resort Casino & Aquagames, responded to this review, January 19, 2014
Hi jennifruits,
Thank you very much for your review from your last holiday at our resort. I’m happy to hear you liked the grounds and the food.
I’m sorry to hear you we did not meet your expectations for your vacation. We will definitely take your comments into consideration in order to improve our services.
One thing that surprises me is the lack of help that you had from our management team as we are usually very available to help clients. There is always someone from management available between 7am and 11pm. You just need to ask at the reception and they call us right away. We like to make sure our clients spend a great vacation by fixing their problems rapidly.
You are talking about numerous trips to the reception. We have a Hotline number designed for any troubles or needs you might have in your room (all the details for that Hotline are written in the welcome guide we provide you when you arrive to the hotel). This could have helped you avoid walking all the way to the lobby every time. We also have a “gustometro” which is a machine located in different areas of the hotel where you can put in your comments and needs. We receive these e-mails right away and therefore are able to solve the situation as it arrives.
Please don’t hesitate to write me at assistantmngr.dr@sirenishotels.com if you want to discuss further or if you decide to come back in the future so I can make sure you have a great stay with us.
Assistant Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (405)
  • Polish first
Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2014

We traveled with a family of 5. Once we arrived fast check-in but had to wait for 40 minutes as room was not ready. Finally got to our room H001 ground floor, great location. There were no bath towels in our room just 5 beach towels, went to inquire at front desk they said they will have some towels delivered, that was 2:30pm it was 8 pm before we received the towels. Five days out of the seven we had to ask for towels,toilet paper and kleenex as none were left after doing up our room. How embarrassing is that. Next the beds were very hard, the sheets were curtains and all the top blankets had holes in them. On to the food. There should be some regulation to say some foods contain nuts as my wife ate some pesto pasta and you guessed it had nuts in it. She had a tough time breathing and had to go back to the room for the night. She had to be very careful for the rest of the week on what she chose to eat. Our oldest also got sick and was in bed for a day. The best dinners were the Japanese and lobster on the beach,which I thought was exspensive at $40 a person. There are not enough English speaking staff, and the ones that do are trying to sell you a time share. The water park was okay but they need to invest in some tubes to go through the tunnels as there were people getting injured. We all did a zip line excursion through our travel rep.(air transat) and it was well worth the money it was absolutely amazing. Overall the grounds are beautiful, but what this resort needs to focus on is better service to its customers who I know pay alot of money for a holiday and do not get the service. It is time for me to close the door on this resort as we will not be returning to this one, maybe the one in Mexico is better, but this one I will leave for you to decide and I hope no one experiences what my family went through on my RETIREMENT vacation. Sorry but this vacation was an awful experience.
Hooper 5

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Aquagames, Assistant Manager at Sirenis Punta Cana Resort Casino & Aquagames, responded to this review, February 1, 2014
Hi Hooper5,

Thank you very much to have taken the time to share your feedback with us. I will definitely take it for future improvements of our resort as we are constantly working on improving our services and amenities.

Please don’t hesitate to write me at assistantmngr.dr@sirenishotels.com if you want to discuss these issues in more details. If you come back to Punta Cana in the future and decide to choose our resort, I will personally insure you have the best vacation at our hotel.

Newport, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2014

We did not arrive at the hotel until 2am Christmas Day having arrived after a 6hr delay. The reception staff were very friendly and helfull. Found the rooms to be very average but we both slept well for the duration of our stay as we found the beds very comfortable. Only moan concerning the room was that we had to keep asking for more water, towells and 'toilet paper'. We found every staff member very friendly and helpfull so I do not understand what other's find to moan about (perhaps it's their own attidude and manners should be looked at) Treat others how you wish to be treated and you will be rewarded!!! Did have to get up mega early for sunbeds as rather a large complex. However, many other seat and tables always available. Very poor entertainment both during the day and evening. Overall my husband and I really enjoyed our stay. Would go again.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Cocotal side in room J007 which was situated on the ground floor just behind the po...
Hi Bev M,
First of all I have to thank you for taking the time to write your review and I’m glad to see you enjoyed our friendly staff and the hotel in general.
As per your other comments, we will put some attention to them to improve the quality of our services.
Please don’t hesitate to write me at assistantmngr.dr@sirenishotels.com if you decide to come back in the future and I’ll do my best to make your stay as pleasant as possible.
Ottawa, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2014

If you haven't yet booked your trip to Punta Cana, bypass this resort and consider another one.

I read some bad reviews of Sirenis before I booked my trip, but they were such lengthy, godawful rants that I chalked them up to miserable travellers. There are always people who refuse to be happy anywhere, you know? And I figured these page- long tirades against Sirenis were written by people who wouldn't be happy if they were vacationing in Paradise itself.

I really tried to be happy here but every day there was a new disappointment, and that sort of weighed on me after a while. I am still happy that I got a week in the sun; so many people don't ever get to enjoy a vacation and I'm thankful that I did. Still, I'm hoping that an honest review might help fellow travellers enjoy a better experience than the one I had at Sirenis:

Here's my Top Ten List of why you should vacation elsewhere:

1. The water is not turquoise. (It's closer to the colour of lake water, and it smells a bit foul. I'm not sure if this has to do with currents - check out the geographical location of the resort. I was hit by not one, but two plastic baggies floating in the ocean one day...could have happened anywhere but it was a turnoff for sure.)

2. The beach is not white. It's the same mundane colour as the beach in my hometown in northern Ontario. (Aren't these turquoise water and white beaches the main two reasons why people come to the Caribbean?)

3. Safety for solo travellers is a bit sketchy. (I checked in at night and was called "fresh meat" by the young male reception clerk. Literally. I spent each evening before bed barricading the furniture against my first-floor patio door after that.)

4. Chances of getting a happy staff member are 50/50. Lots of nice wait staff in restaurants, but most other staff members - including reception - are sullen. Some glared at me so openly that I shrivelled inside.

5. Booking yourself in for weekly dinners will take half your day on Day 1. There simply HAS to be a better system than lining up for ONE concierge who makes your bookings for you. It seems to me that guests could all do this themselves on a self-serve computer system.

6. Sub-par rooms. I know rooms aren't the main aspect of a resort, but my room clearly wasn't anything like the pictures on the Sirenis website. (Photos attached). My sheets were never changed and each day my water glass was rinsed out and put back on the tray - never replaced. By Day 4 I had only 1 towel left and by Day 6 I had 0. There was a faint smell of mushrooms and urine in the room and my pillows smelled stale. I never got used to it.

7. Limited English spoken here. Lots of French and Spanish-speaking guests. I booked an English catamaran tour one day and was the only English speaker on the bus...tour was entirely in French. I do passably well with French, but I would have learned a lot more had the tour been in English.

8. Some of the things listed on the Sirenis website are falsehoods. You WILL pay a $50 deposit for your room safe, no matter what type of room you're in.

9. Even the locals seem to be aware that this is not the best resort in the D.R. I experienced three separate occasions when a local person (tour guide, etc) reacted with doubt when I told them that I was having an "okay time" at the resort ("Really? You REALLY are having a nice time?")

10. Vegetarian restaurant is very good, but not great. The SOLE reason I chose this resort was because of this. The Caribbean diet is very meat-based and I didn't fancy eating garden salad for every meal. I enjoyed my meals at this restaurant (which was not frequented by many other guests...so sad...) but in the future I'll take my chances at a non-veg resort recommended by a travel agent.

All in all, the resort was adequate but not exquisite. With so many spectacular places to choose from in the Dominican Republic, why stay here? Keep surfing, and find something that will truly yield some amazing memories.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Aquagames, Assistant Manager at Sirenis Punta Cana Resort Casino & Aquagames, responded to this review, January 19, 2014
Hi Shannon M,
First of all I have to thank you for taking the time to write your very detailed review. This will definitely help us improve some of our services.
Have you reported any of the challenges you’ve encountered during your stay to anybody at the hotel while you were there? As I always tell our guests, if we know about it it’s always easier to react fast, solve the problem right away and to help you spend a great vacation.
About the reservations for the “a la carte” restaurants, I’m surprised of your comment since we have 5 places in the hotel where you can make your reservations: 2 tables in the lobby, 2 houses on the main avenue, and in the public relations office (as indicated in the welcome guide).
Please don’t hesitate to write me at assistantmngr.dr@sirenishotels.com if you want to discuss any further details or if you decide to come back in the future, I’ll do my best to make your stay as pleasant as possible.
Dundee, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2014

We stayed here between 30th September and 15th October 2013 - Sorry has taken me this long to get back into the swing of things :) We had the most amazing time and have to say this was one of the best holidays we have ever had. I was a little worried after reading some of the reviews but have to say our fears soon disappeared once we arrived. We were greeted with a cocktail while we waited to check in and then our bags were taken to our rooms. The room was huge and although the rooms were a little dated we were told to expect this when we booked as apparently a lot of resorts in the Dominican are like this. You are in the middle of no where but there is a bar a 15 minute walk up the beach, we didnt feel the need to go out as there was a lot of entertainment in resort. We did a couple of trips and have to say that a trip to Saona Island is well worth the money. We ate at most of the restaurants and enjoyed them all. The steak we received at the steak restaurant was huge - my partner couldnt even finish it even though he eats like a horse!! All in the staff were friendly, our rooms were cleaned daily, the food was lovely and do not understand some of the horrible complaints. I would definitely go back and are looking at booking Sirenis in Mexico for this year.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi DawnMcG,
Thank you for taking the time to write your review and I’m happy to see you had a great holiday with us.
Whenever you decide to come back, please don’t hesitate to write me at assistantmngr.dr@sirenishotels.com in order to ensure you spend another amazing trip. We'd be more than happy to welcome you and your family again.
Lougheed, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2014

We visited Sirenis Cocotal Dec 15- 22nd 2013. Trip from the airport was longer than expected, but from that point on things got better. Check in was quick and our bags were at the room within 15 mins. Our room was at the far end of the Resort close to the beach but no problems getting around as there was always a golf cart willing to take us any where we wanted to go. Although there were the usual language barriers when visiting a foreign country, the staff were more than accommodating to any thing we could possibly need. Everything about this Resort was clean and up to date, but what really makes this Resort special is the people that work there. We were blown away by how friendly and helpful all the staff were. The bar staff in the lobby were some of the best people there. They always remember your drink and people should remember that tipping goes along way. Our Concierge Leo bent over backwards to iron out every minor wrinkle we encountered. The Buffet Restaurants were great , they had a huge selection of fresh food to accommodate any taste. The Al a carte Restaurants were great our favorites were the Steak House, Mexican and the French. The beach was spectacular and very clean. The view was breath taking from our Ocean view balcony. The pool area was great as well the bar staff there were super friendly too. I have read a lot of negative reviews about this place and as far as we can see the complainers have unrealistic expectations. Are we going to return to Sirenis...HELL YES we have never met more friendly people at any place we have been to.

Room Tip: Beach View, Upgrade to Ocean view if possible.
Hi hurtinalbertans,
Thank you very much for your great review from your last holiday at our resort. I’m happy to hear you liked the food, the restaurants, the view from your room and especially our friendly staff as they work hard to make sure our customers have a great time.
It will be a pleasure to welcome you and your family again on your next vacation. Please don’t hesitate to write me at assistantmngr.dr@sirenishotels.com before you come so I can make sure you have another great stay with us.
Markham, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2014

The Food was not good. The service was slow and sometimes non-existent.

The Hotel takes your room towels in the early am, and does not replace them until around dinner time, if at all.

I do not recommend this resort.

Hi JoelJones20,

We thank you very much for your review from our last holiday at our resort. We will make sure all your comments are taken into consideration in order to improve our services.

Don’t hesitate to contact me personally at assistantmngr.dr@sirenishotels.com if you want to discuss any issues or if you are thinking of coming back to our resort. I’ll be happy to ensure you spend a great vacation.

Assistant Manager

Been to Sirenis Punta Cana Resort Casino & Aquagames? Share your experiences!