“Sirenis Cocotal Family Vacation” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Sirenis Punta Cana Resort Casino & Aquagames

You added Sirenis Punta Cana Resort Casino & Aquagames to your Saves list
Sirenis Punta Cana Resort Casino & Aquagames
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playas Uvero Alto | Macao Beach, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #70 of 102 Hotels in Punta Cana
Lincoln, Nebraska
“Sirenis Cocotal Family Vacation”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014

My family of 18 (4 adult couples, 1 child, 8 18-21 year-olds, and my 80 year-old parents) traveled with Funjet vacations to the Sirenis Cocotal for a week over the New Year and stayed in eight double bed rooms in building B. They were kind enough to book us all in one building together, which was great with kids we wanted to keep an eye on. I understand this is the busiest time to travel and they had no vacancies. We even tried to book an extra room before we left and were told none were available. The rooms were adequate. Ours on the second floor had a slight odor when we arrived, but it seemed to go away after the AC ran for a while. We had absolutely no problems with our room, but some family members had standing water in showers and a non-working AC and ceiling fan. They finally addressed the AC after a couple days, and would come drain my parents shower every other day. Housekeeping did a great job on our room, but my family members were not as pleased. I would guess the hotel does not have enough towels for all guests when the hotel is full, because there were several unhappy guests according to what we heard. I would suggest one get clean beach towels at the end of the day showers if this seems to be a problem. You can exchange them the next day.

If you have a problem, I suggest YOU leave a handwritten note at the front desk.

We felt the food was quite good for buffet. All 18 of us ate at the Mexican and the Italian restaurants together and thought they were both very good. The biggest complaint from my family would have to be the difficulty in getting a cup of coffee during or after a meal. It was almost comical. The juices were fresh and amazing. The house wine was okay. The only beer is Presidente. The mixed drinks are as good as they can be for inexpensive liquor. Keep in mind the bartenders worked very hard to please us and help us find a cocktail we would like.

I felt like the service was very good. We take lots of $1 bills to show appreciation for good service. Now some people would say that they have paid for all-inclusive and that should be the end of it, but we see people working very hard while we enjoy ourselves at a place that most of them could never afford, so it seems a small thing to give people a few extra bucks to take home to their families if they have made our trip more enjoyable.

The waterpark was a lot of fun for all of us, but heed these warnings: the toilet bowl is rough and water shirts, glasses and jewelry were not allowed on the rides.

Most of the evening entertainment did not impress us, but honestly that is not why we were there. The casino is small, but the disco was a great time, especially for the younger crowd since it doesn't open until 11. (No minors allowed.) Great (loud) music!

The staff I saw working the kids club was great, but we didn't have any little ones with us.

There is a room safe (with key) for rent for $3/day with a $50 deposit.

We were not bothered by salespeople at all at the resort. We did book one snorkeling excursion to the nurse sharks/rays through Funjet. It was more like a booze cruise (rum, beer and soda), but costs about $90/person for a half day.

Again we were there at a very busy time of year, but the beach and pool chairs were all taken by 9 a.m. The pools are wonderful though. And the beach is nice sand and is walk-able for several minutes both directions, but you will be approached by beach vendors.

On a side note: if you are going to the Dominican Republic for scuba or snorkeling, then choose another location. There is little to see. But the mountains near Punta cana were remarkable and quite pretty.

A base knowledge of Spanish is helpful, especially at the bars, but be patient and they'll find someone to help you if not. Many of the staff members speak multiple languages.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Cocotalbeach, Assistant Manager at Sirenis Punta Cana Resort Casino & Aquagames, responded to this review, January 19, 2014
Hi 1tip4u,
Thank you very much for your review from your last holiday at our resort. I’m happy to hear you liked the beach, the pool, the water park and the service.
I’m sorry to hear you we did not meet your expectations regarding the rooms. We will definitely take your other comments into consideration in order to improve our services. The best thing when you have a problem in your room is to call the Hotline right away. If for some reason it hasn’t been fixed after 20-30 minutes, please don’t wait and talk to public relations so we can make sure your problem is fixed as fast as possible.
Please don’t hesitate to write me at assistantmngr.dr@sirenishotels.com if you want to discuss further or when you are planning a future trip here so I can make sure you have a great stay with us.
Assistant Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (406)
  • Polish first
Boston, Massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014

I went to the resort on vacation with my family. After a long flight, the last thing you want is a long rough drive to your destination, Which is exactly what you get. Then what you want is to relax. However, as soon as the timeshare people see you arrive, they start to attack you. Then they keep a constant eye on you. When you leave your room or are going from one place to the next, they run after you and push their sales pitch daily. The worst was the staff. They tend to make inappropriate comments and use strong language. In addition, they compare you or say you resemble someone. I guess for small talk. For example, I was told I look like Omega (The Dominican singer). However. they should realize it could be offensive. Not only due to the appearance, but Omega has a bad character and beliefs. Also, he is often in trouble with the law and involved in domestic violence.( who wants to be compare to someone like that). They communicate this with the other workers. Therefore, you get everyone telling you the same thing everywhere we went along with laughing and giggling. This got so annoying and disturbing that we preferred to stay in our rooms. Management should educate or refresh their staff and workers on proper behavior, ethnics and manners. I'm concern because my brother and his family booked a vacation (prior to my experience) at the resort to celebrate an anniversary and birthday for late February. I hope they don't suffer the same treatment since they can't cancel at this time.

Grounds- excellent and well kept.

Beach- don't expect to see white sand as advertised. Nice pool

Food- Japanese Restaurant “Jade” -Great food and show
Italian Restaurant “Cinnecita”-elegant and classy look with good food
Mexican Restaurant “Nuevo México- terrible. not close to any Mexican flavor. tasteless

Rooms- Junior suite - Flat screen TV in living area and old style box TV in bedroom
needs update and old buildings

Water park- Average

Location- too far over an hour drive

Internet- very slow and $50 per week or $10 daily (most resorts have at least Free WiFi in the lobby )

Customer service- Poor. Before my visit, I had some questions. I sent an email to the Sirenis web site. After 2 weeks without a reply. I called the company. They didn't have any answers or even the information on the resort. I was given the direct email to the resort. Same results, they never replied.

Staff- tried to entertain and make jokes at the expense of their guests.

Final analysis - considering its over an hour drive to the resort from the airport and the high fare ($140 round trip)The resort should have free WiFi in the lobby for their guests. When you add everything up, you have better options at many other resorts closer to the airport with better dining, water park ,amenities,modern decor and free WiFi at the lobby.

Room Tip: Choose at least a junior suite if you want a living area. They also have second TV with is helpful w...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Aquagames, Assistant Manager at Sirenis Punta Cana Resort Casino & Aquagames, responded to this review, February 1, 2014
Hi robert m,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. As I mentioned to you buy e-mail I’m sorry to hear we didn’t meet your expectations during your vacation.

About our staff saying you looked like Omega, I am certain it wasn’t meant in a bad way since the Dominicans love this artist. I apologize in the name of Sirenis if this offended you and we will definitely communicate this situation to all the departments so they are more careful in what they are saying to our guests. Concerning the vacation club, I will pass on your comments to the manager so he can improve their services.

As per your brother and his family, please give them my e-mail so they can communicate any requests they might have prior to their arrival so I can make sure they spend a great vacation. If they could send me their arrival date and reservation name I will definitely be able to ensure they have a great stay with us.

If you ever would like to come back to this resort, please get in touch with me prior to your stay and I will ensure you have a great vacation with us.

Okotoks, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014

Sirenis Punta Cana Nov 20-Dec 6, 2013 Review

This is our first time to Sirenis PC, but we have experienced Grand Sirenis in Mexico, so at times I will make direct comparisons between the two. Also, be aware that we are Sirenis Premium Travelers, so will likely be providing comments on that as well.

After 15 hours in transit (including crossing 3 time-zones easterly), we got into the Punta Cana Airport at 3PM, and were transferred to the resort by HotelBeds. The transfer took approximately 35-40 minutes, on the new highway. I understand that the old route could take at least an hour. Check-in, for us, was handled at the Sirenis Premium Travelers (SPT) Lounge. It was handled quickly and we were taken to our room (Cocotal side, G204) by 4:15.

The Premium room had a king-sized bed, a mini-fridge, premium liquor selection, and free wall-safe. The safe was big enough to hold both our iPad and tablet. In comparison to the room quality at the Grand Sirenis, this certainly was not on par, however it was still spacious. The bed mattress did not sit on top of a box-spring, but simply a hard-board, so it was a hard sleep.

There are 7 bars (2 in the main building in the reception area, 1 by the theatre, 1 on the beach, 2 swim-up bars, and 1 by the Mexican (beach) restaurant). We spent the majority of our time at the "La Yola" (swim-up) bar, on the Cocotal pool side. A lot of other folks seemed to do the same, as it was usually pretty busy. At night, the Pergola and Pyramid bars (main building) were usually pretty busy, but were nice bars to wind down at, before heading back to the room to sleep.

The buffets were ok. The food choices were a lot less than at Grand Sirenis, but we never starved. There was always something for us to eat, although, by the end of 2 weeks, I was starting to get really tired of the lack of choices.

There are 7 A-la-Carte restaurants: Chinese (Jade), Italian (Cinecitta), Mediterranean (Mare Nostrum), Vegetarian (El Vergel), Gourmet (Giardinetto), Mexican (Nuevo Mexico), and Steakhouse (El Batey). Aside from El Vergel, we ate twice at each of the restaurants (only once at El Vergel), and only had one sub-par experience (El Batey, the first time). My wife's steak was not done well enough, and was too much grizzle. We took a chance on it the second time, and had no problems, so the first must have just been a bad cut. El Vergel was not open the first 2 weeks, hence only eating there once, but it was a wonderful meal, better than I expected, to be honest. I would gladly recommend ANY of them to anyone.

The entertainment staff seemed to be liked by all. We did not connect with them personally, at all, so I cannot provide any feedback on them. All of their day-time activities seemed to be activity related, which is NOT my forte, so we never got involved. If there was music trivia, I would have been all over it. The evening theatre shows were good, and for the most part, rotated on a two-week cycle. The only issue we had with the theatre was that there were large pillars supporting the roof, however, these would partially obstruct your vision of the stage if you were further back from about row 6.

The water-park was a five-minute walk up the driveway, and was quite fun. Keep in mind, that if you wear glasses, you will NOT be allowed to wear them while on these slides. They are VERY adamant about it too. 2 of the slides have a weight-restriction as well, so if you are over 220 lbs., you will not be able to ride these. The lunch buffet was actually quite good, almost better than the buffets in the main building. The kids water-pool area of the water-park looked to be quite a lot of fun ! I wished I was about 10 years old again …. it looked THAT cool !!!!

Back at the resort … The pool area is one LARGE pool, connected under the main boulevard bridge by a raised section. The difference with this pool complex is that from each end of the pool, it gradually deepens, to the point that the depth goes to well over 6 feet deep. So if you want to "swim", you can do so. I've not been to a lot of AIs, but this seems to be unique. You could really go for a nice long swim in this pool.

We walked the beach outside the resort, both to the north (almost to Excellence), and the south (almost to the new Breathless Resort). It is great to walk the powder-soft sand. Punta Cana has that over Grand Sirenis's natural inlet.

As for the people, I have to give honourable mention to the following individuals, who helped to make our vacation a good one:

Bartenders:
Charlie, Juan Julio, Julio, Jency, Argenus, Johnothan, Sergio (Pyramid), Lissander, Yaphreisy (SPT waitress). These folks always remembered us, smiled at us, treated us like friends, and made us feel special, and welcomed. If you see them in your future travels, please say hi from "Juan and Carolina"…

SPT personnel:
Perla and Lady always made sure that as SPT members, we had everything that we needed, and if we had issues, they were dealt with in very timely fashion.

Buffet (Macao) servers:
Ana and Kristian always had a table ready for us, and took great care of us… coffee, and juices and other beverages before our current ones were empty.

The grounds-keepers are constantly working to keep the landscaping in immaculate shape… always trimming, pruning, and shaping the bushes that line the main walk between the main building and the beach/pool area.

We only ran into one NEGATIVE during our stay, but it was not with the resort, and it lasted pretty much the entire duration. I am sure I am going to be seen as a grade-A "Snob" for the following, but it was the invasion of rude, ignorant, pushy, selfish and obnoxious Russian tourists. I do not want to paint them all with a broad brush, but this is what we had to put up with . It's likely a problem at ANY DR resort, as the DR seems to be heavily promoted to Russia. It seems November/December are the invasion months. I cannot remember seeing such an onslaught of self-absorbed individuals at an all-inclusive resort before. I did not see a lot of respect for the staff (or other tourists) from these people. There were lots of French and Spanish tourists, but we did not notice the same attitudes from them. We really liked the resort, but because of this, we likely will NOT return to Sirenis Punta Cana, at least not in November/December.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Cocotalbeach, Assistant Manager at Sirenis Punta Cana Resort Casino & Aquagames, responded to this review, February 1, 2014
Hi isundby,

Thank you very much to have taken the time to share your feedback with us. I’m glad you enjoyed almost everything about our resort. I will definitely take your comments into consideration for future improvements as we are constantly working on improving our services and amenities.

As per the Russian market, I’m sorry to hear you had bad experiences with them. You came in a time of year very popular for them to visit Punta Cana.

Please don’t hesitate to write me at assistantmngr.dr@sirenishotels.com if you want to discuss further or if you decide to come back in the future and I will do my best for you to spend a great vacation.

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014

Stayed for two weeks, Dec/14-28 2013 overall I would give this resort a thumbs up! excellent service very friendly staff ,food was okay lots of variety I have had better, my wife and I have travelled many times to the DR and to Mexico, Cuba. the only thing my wife and I didn't like was this constant harassment by the time share people they are like bandits constantly bothering you to come for a special breakfast and they don't take no for an answer , you really have to stand your ground and eventually they will stop! it was so bad we took a different route to get to the beach and pool which were beautiful, the workers are constantly cleaning and maintaining the grounds fantastic job! I would recommend this resort very nice , very family oriented , we met a lot of people from all over the World some were friendly some were not , there are a lot of Canadians that vacation here so you will always meet people from Canada . I did get bitten a bit so you might want to bring some bug spray with you, the bus ride was very pleasant to and from the airport , the Punta Cana airport when we were leaving was very very busy long line ups be prepared for a long wait in line, overall a very pleasant enjoyable vacation.

Room Tip: We stayed in the "F" section and it was central to everything close enough to the lobby an...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi Eric358,

Thank you for sharing your great reviews about our staff and your memorable vacation at our resort. We work so hard to make a memorable experience for our clients that it’s nice to hear that our team’s hard work pays off.

Please don’t hesitate to write me at assistantmngr.dr@sirenishotels.com if you decide to come back in the future in order to ensure you spend another amazing trip.

Langenburg, sk
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014

Our family of 18 spent a week at this resort and were happy with our holiday. Greeted with a cold drink, so needed, our rooms were in need of updating, but very comfortable, lots of room. Our maid, Mary was excellent, terrific service. Our only problem was the inability of so many of the staff not specking English, we often had times we just couldn't understand each other.
The beach, we claimed the log as home each day, is so beautiful. Drinks good, always clean, activities for those who wanted to participate. We nightly met in the lobby, putting couches together, and never had any problems. Great time for all of us! We found the steak house the best food, but we are Canadians!

Room Tip: We had h108, enjoyed the balcony, could people watch, and find family members. A little noisy New...
Hi Olive W,

First of all I have to thank you for taking the time to write your review and I’m happy to see you and your family had an amazing holiday with us.

Please don’t hesitate to contact me at assistantmngr.dr@sirenishotels.com for anything you might need in a future stay. It will be a pleasure to welcome you again in the Sirenis Family.

Vandalia, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

Great resort. Would recommend to everyone. I would suggest that you sign up for the activities there because there is not too much to do on the resort, although they do have a great pool, beach, and a water park. The staff is all very friendly, but some of them do not speak English. The food was hit and miss. Make sure to sign up for reservations at the good restaurants and you should be fine.

Room Tip: Stayed in Q block and it was great
Hi Joshua P,

Thank you very much for taking time to share your holiday experience with us. It’s a pleasure to hear that you had a lovely holiday at our resort.

I invite you to contact me at assistantmngr.dr@sirenishotels.com when you are planning your next vacation at our resort so I can ensure you spend another great vacation.

Dayton, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

Loved this resort! Great place for families traveling together. Great service that goes above and beyond and if you are vegetarian Darling is a great person to have around! He is very accommodating and very sweet! You can run out of activities to do at the resort but I would recommend taking the Buggy excursion that goes through mud puddles and leads you to a gorgeous beach! Overall a great vacation!!!!

Room Tip: Stayed in the tropical side and loved it! Get higher floors to have less mosquitoes.
Hi Jasmine P,

I’m very glad to see you enjoyed your stay with us and I’m happy to see you took the time to share your comments. I will definitely pass on your great review to Darling, as he will be happy to see his hard work pays off.

Please don’t hesitate to write me at assistantmngr.dr@sirenishotels.com if you decide to come back in the future and I’ll do my best to make your stay as pleasant as possible.

Assistant Manager

Been to Sirenis Punta Cana Resort Casino & Aquagames? Share your experiences!